2017-2018 Pennsylvania State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where has everyone gone to look for roommates for off campus housing? Was looking to get a roommate or two to live off campus for the first year since I wasn't accepted for the on campus housing.
Did you try FB? Saw a bunch of people posting on there looking for roommates

Members don't see this ad.

Where is the FB page? somehow ive been unable to find it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It worked, Thank you bunches!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I know SDN users are a very small sample size, but looks like we saw only 1 wait list acceptance on here. Hope there's more to come lol.

Interviewed in November, waitlisted in January, and accepted yesterday!!! Long time lurker, so I made an account to vent some excitement and to add some data points to what seems to be a slow moving waitlist.

Reactions: 9 users
Congratulations! :D
Interviewed in November, waitlisted in January, and accepted yesterday!!! Long time lurker, so I made an account to vent some excitement and to add some data points to what seems to be a slow moving waitlist.

Do they send out rejection letters or do they just use the start of the first day of classes as the rejection?

Congrats!! Did you write a LOI?

Asking the important qs...
Do med students get discounts to Hersheypark???

Members don't see this ad :)
has there been any waitlist movements??? Is the waitlist even ranked? Not sure if I should hold out for too long...

Not sure if it’s ranked but I got in today so don’t give up yet!
Congratulations ! Very happy for you !. Did you get a phone call or did the Acceptance come by email ?

Can any other accepted/current students comment on whether we are supposed to get a drug screen before showing up? I got all of my vaccinations and things that we were told to get in our acceptance packet but idk I kind of was assuming I'd have to pee in a cup before starting school
also wondering this! If any M1/M2s have time to weigh in?

anyone hear anything about the hold list? or is there just virtually no movement?

Reactions: 1 users
I called before and they said there’s still movement but idk if they say that to get you off the phone lol

Reactions: 1 users
Give up on this school. I would have loved to go here but they don’t give you any indication as to what the waitlist looks like. I kept getting the same response. “Anything can happen between now and the starts of classes. Of course, the class isn’t filled”.

Give up on this school. I would have loved to go here but they don’t give you any indication as to what the waitlist looks like. I kept getting the same response. “Anything can happen between now and the starts of classes. Of course, the class isn’t filled”.

Yeah some schools give some information about the waitlist, but I was also given the same response here. I'm OOS for this school too so it seems very unlikely at this point in time that a lot of waitlist movement is even happening or that I will be accepted. I guess it is time to re-apply or go to another school that has given you an acceptance! And always keep holding on, cause you never know when you'll get the email and be accepted!!!

Where is everyone getting their diagnostic set and other instruments? The suggested place is pretty expensive but I know it’s quality. Not sure if I should just opt for a less expensive option
I got my stuff lightly used or new but cheaper from eBay. I just googled the name of each product from the catalog and made sure that what I was getting was the same.

So, I'm gonna assume that the people on the waitlist are gonna be rejected in a week since orientation is july 10th?

what? I'm still on the hold list...I was just asking cause I'm re-applying for the next cycle

I was just saying gonna that very often, most med schools will take people AFTER orientation and classes begin. It happened to a friend of mine at Georgetown last year. Best of luck!

Does Penn State actually email for rejections or do they just stay silent until August or something so you already know that you’re rejected weeks before you get the email?

Just got rejection email, already started at another med school though.

I stand corrected. I too was rejected this morning. For those of you who are starting med school Congrats! For those of you in the middle of the 2018-19 cycle, may the force be with you!

Hi all,

I was one of the five Medical Student Design Partners last year who helped to pilot and build the PSCOM University Park Program, and I'm currently one of the 12 students in the first year of the UP Program. I haven't checked this thread in a while and it looks like there are some odd misconceptions (for example, we do indeed have 12 MS1s in addition to the 12 MS3s and 18 MS4s here). I would be happy to answer any questions you might have as you're going through the admissions process at PSCOM and other schools. In a nutshell, the UP admissions process involves first being accepted by PSCOM in general following your interview in Hershey, after which time a subset of accepted students will be selected to come to UP for an interview event, and then UP acceptances will be decided thereafter.

The UP Program is built around experiential learning in the clinic, where you will spend 12 hours each week in a primary care clinic starting in the first month of MS1. You will quickly learn patient navigation skills and rooming skills, proceeding to a more clerkship-like experience by the winter of MS1. Clinic will provide you the opportunity to meet and work with patients and physicians who will hopefully inspire your curiosity with real patient stories. Each week you will write up a patient summary (much like a case presentation but including health systems and medical humanities information) which you will present to your Inquiry (IQ) Group, a team of six MS1s plus a physician. Each of the six students in the IQ group present their case for the week and then the group decides on which two cases will be the focus for the Wednesday and Friday seminar sessions. Working in this way, students get the opportunity to explore topics which interest them and which actually apply to the patients they are working with in clinic. This asynchronous and experiential learning setup helps to anchor our learning and make it quite practical. For example, my IQ has so far focused on diverse topics from HIV to trimalleolar ankle fractures to bipolar disorder to ectopic atrial tachycardia to pulmonary embolism. It is indeed a quite tight-knit group here, and that may not be the right fit for everyone but frankly we love it.

One other big misconception I've heard is that the program is only designed for rural or primary care-inclined people. If that description fits you, great, but we are by no means pushing anyone in a particular direction. I'm personally interested in specializing and working in an urban setting, and our students vary in a similar manner to the Hershey Program; the past few years of our Match agrees with this and I would expect we get more diverse in interests, not less, with the new UP Program curriculum.

In any case, I wanted to put out some correct information since I saw several people post about the UP Program. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Cheers.

Haha sorry one year later! How selective is the program? Are most class sizes 10-20 people?

Haha sorry one year later! How selective is the program? Are most class sizes 10-20 people?
Class sizes are exactly 12 at the UP Program in order to accommodate the large number of faculty resources required per student in our curriculum. We are fortunate that the admissions team in Hershey selects students first into PSCOM, so our team at UP doesn't focus as much on GPA/MCAT (since the Hershey admissions team already deemed applicants as qualifying for our medical school) and instead is much more thoughtful about mutual fit in our unique curriculum. We consider any students who have already been accepted to PSCOM and who are interested in the program.