2017-2018 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 11/10 and have not received anything in the mail yet. Has anyone else been waiting this long?

Getting very worried.

Anyone get an II here with less than a 60 LizzyM?

Yep! My LizzyM score is much lower than 60. Although I am a re-applicant, my LizzyM score has not changed much since last year when I also interviewed and ultimately put on the waitlist. PCOM is not joking when they say they have a holistic approach to reviewing your application- just hang in there and remember that you are more than just a number, and just because you haven't gotten an II yet doesn't mean you won't get one at all! A friend of mine last year got a call from PCOM the day before her interview asking her to come in. So there is no reason to lose hope :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I just did wit. A LizzyM around 59/60. I have a lot of clinical experience though

Yep! My LizzyM score is much lower than 60. Although I am a re-applicant, my LizzyM score has not changed much since last year when I was also offered an interview and put on the waitlist. PCOM is not joking when they say they have a holistic approach to reviewing your application- just hang in there and remember that your are more than just a number, and just because you haven't gotten an II yet doesn't mean you won't get one at all! A friend of mine last year got a call from PCOM the day before her interview asking her to come in. So there is no reason to lose hope :)

Same here! My LizzyM score is not high at all. I recently interviewed. I think I did good damage control in other areas of my application. Post-bac, masters, 5000hr+ of clinical experience, great LORs (I got 1 from the president of my graduate academic institution which is a top 20 medical school) and no my mcat wasn't "off the charts" either. I was told today by a friend that they have a buddy who was conditionally accepted to PCOM pending she retook her MCAT. She had a 493 and they wanted her to get a 495 to matriculate. Have faith!!!!!!!!!!!!! Time is still on YOUR side! YOU GOT THIS!

Reactions: 1 users
Same here! My LizzyM score is not high at all. I recently interviewed. I think I did good damage control in other areas of my application. Post-bac, masters, 5000hr+ of clinical experience, great LORs (I got 1 from the president of my graduate academic institution which is a top 20 medical school) and no my mcat wasn't "off the charts" either. I was told today by a friend that they have a buddy who was conditionally accepted to PCOM pending she retook her MCAT. She had a 493 and they wanted her to get a 495 to matriculate. Have faith!!!!!!!!!!!!! Time is still on YOUR side! YOU GOT THIS!

Thank you so much for this. I have a LizzyM of 59 and really wanna go here so badly, but I haven't heard anything since August. And I've gotten a ton of clinical hours since then, but since they don't take updates, they won't know about any of it [even though I had an OK amount before then]. I'm really hoping to hear something though!

Has anyone not from postbacc with linkage received an II recently? When were you guys complete?

Thank you so much for this. I have a LizzyM of 59 and really wanna go here so badly, but I haven't heard anything since August. And I've gotten a ton of clinical hours since then, but since they don't take updates, they won't know about any of it [even though I had an OK amount before then]. I'm really hoping to hear something though!

Idk if they have any more open houses this year but if they have any early next year it may be worth checking out. I'm not sure how influential it is on your application but it may help. You're not alone! It's many of us in the same boat with you. Keep the faith!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,

how do they notify students of II? is it via email or on the portal?

thanks!

hey guys,

how do they notify students of II? is it via email or on the portal?

thanks!

They send IIs via e-mail (and then send information about staying overnight with a student in a separate email as well).

Reactions: 1 user
They send IIs via e-mail (and then send information about staying overnight with a student in a separate email as well).

Seems like it’s been a while since they’ve sent any out, right? Anyone know how often they meet to decide II’s?

Seems like it’s been a while since they’ve sent any out, right? Anyone know how often they meet to decide II’s?
I heard they over send IIs so there is a shortage of interview spots. They are slowly trying to make it work

I have good stats( 3.7 and 514) with pubs and tons of clinical experience, with strong ties to Philly.
I applied late( complete late September) and hear nothing... I regretted applying late so much!!

I have good stats( 3.7 and 514) with pubs and tons of clinical experience, with strong ties to Philly.
I applied late( complete late September) and hear nothing... I regretted applying late so much!!

I’m sure you’ve gotten other interviews (hopefully acceptances) with those scores! I see SO many people on this thread obsess over pcom (and it’s a lovely school, don’t get me wrong) but there’s no use in checking SDN every other day wishing for an interview from a certain school when no matter where we go, we’re all walking out physicians :) I think the last thing a patient will ask when you enter a room is “Wait! Before you take my vitals, tell me what school you went to”

Reactions: 5 users
Just got an interview invite! I was already accepted to their Georgia campus so I will be turning it down. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
wonder what it means to get skipped over, i was complete slightly before you

Do you have any ties to PCOM? such as affiliated undergrad or the like? @tammyp

@DelayedGratification seems like they’re looking at apps in batches so now Sept and Oct while also still giving IIs to Aug and July so I wouldn’t say you were skipped over

wonder what it means to get skipped over, i was complete slightly before you

Do you have any ties to PCOM? such as affiliated undergrad or the like? @tammyp
I had a LOR from a physcian that attended PCOM-PA so maybe it played a role but it wasn't added until after I received my GA II. I got an II and acceptance from the GA campus all within a month of being complete and silence from PA till now.

Have any pre-ii rejections gone out?

The secret behind Ben Simmons' dominance

According to this article, the 76ers practice facility is at PCOM?? Is this true? Do the students ever run into the players? And if this is true, how did I not know about this before? That's awesome! Maybe I should switch from podiatry and try to get into PCOM... :laugh:

The secret behind Ben Simmons' dominance

According to this article, the 76ers practice facility is at PCOM?? Is this true? Do the students ever run into the players? And if this is true, how did I not know about this before? That's awesome! Maybe I should switch from podiatry and try to get into PCOM... :laugh:

It used to be. They now have a state of the art facility in Camden. You can actually see the huge 76 on the building in jersey from the Philly waterfront.

It used to be. They now have a state of the art facility in Camden. You can actually see the huge 76 on the building in jersey from the Philly waterfront.
Gotcha. Still pretty cool (and random) that it used to be at PCOM!

does anyone know how many acceptances they give out normally or have given out so far?? I have an II in mid-January and I'm worried that I may be in the waitlist/rejection pile

does anyone know how many acceptances they give out normally or have given out so far?? I have an II in mid-January and I'm worried that I may be in the waitlist/rejection pile

This past year, 434 were accepted and 270 matriculated. But don't let the numbers or your interview date worry you. You've been offered an interview, which is fantastic! It means they want to know more about you :) I had a January interview date last year and I know that at least one person in my interview group was accepted. Just focus on telling your story, not about when you're telling your story. Good luck!

So...does PCOM accept updates? I lightly browsed and it seems like the answer is no, but the portal says "
  • "Note that you are welcome to submit significant updates to your applicant record (newly graded coursework or MCAT scores)."

So...does PCOM accept updates? I lightly browsed and it seems like the answer is no, but the portal says "
  • "Note that you are welcome to submit significant updates to your applicant record (newly graded coursework or MCAT scores)."
The answer is yes, they accept coursework and scores. They just don't accept your new job information, publications, etc. They want things electronically while they are still trying to process all the later applications.

Has this school sent out any rejections PRE-II? Been complete since like July

Withdrew my acceptance before placing the non-refundable deposit (Dec 15th). I was accepted into a different DO school which makes more sense for me financially—I liked both schools equally when interviewing and touring.

Good luck to ya’ll still in the game!!! PCOM is super impressive, and it definitely stung a bit withdrawing my acceptance. Hope it goes to one of you brilliant future DOs here :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys! Please don't judge, but I wanted to ask previous applicants and current students of this school if a 491 MCAT score will give me a shot at an interview. Other than the MCAT, I am a well rounded applicant. 3.5 GPA with ton of extra curricular. I also have strong letters

Hi guys! Please don't judge, but I wanted to ask previous applicants and current students of this school if a 491 MCAT score will give me a shot at an interview. Other than the MCAT, I am a well rounded applicant. 3.5 GPA with ton of extra curricular. I also have strong letters
They said they are looking at 500+. But if you have strong ECs you might have a chance! And remember to throw in your app early. I applied late with 514 and 3.7 and no response

They said they are looking at 500+. But if you have strong ECs you might have a chance! And remember to throw in your app early. I applied late with 514 and 3.7 and no response
so you think if I send in my secondary now, it will be too late?

I got the equivalent of a 491 last time I applied to medical schools (including PCOM) and received no love. I would retake the MCAT and apply early next cycle.

I would not apply this late in the cycle with your MCAT. I would start studying for the MCAT now and then retake in April/May. Then apply early and see how next cycle goes. You want to apply with the best application possible the first time.

Reactions: 2 users

I mentioned this earlier in another post. Someone was conditionally accepted with a 493, pending they retook the mcat and scored a 495+. I think anything is possible! Just make sure the rest of your application is in order. But I mimic the other comments in that applying early is crucial when your mcat score isn't the strongest.

Happy holidays

Does anyone know what factor the school emphasizes more? I have a 507 MCAT and about a 3.0 GPA which I’m sure is what’s bringing me down. But I feel like I have a relatively okay/highish MCAT score, so do you think that would compensate for here? Otherwise, strong letters, tons of extracurriculars and leadership, volunteering, research... I’ve gotten no love but really praying for something! It’s such an awesome school and in such a cool city, but the silence is really stressing me out

Last edited: