2017-2018 Rutgers University - NJMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nothing really. They just said they sent it to my email on my AMCAS on X date. I checked and it was not there, nor in spam either. She was sure it was sent, and I am sure I never got it. Maybe gmail messed up? lol. It's all good though, hopefully this is the only school it happened with.
I guess they gave you another interview date then?

Members don't see this ad.

Well probably because the original invite "came" more than a month ago
So weird, I didn't get their secondary email and then got a followup email that there may have been a problem with the secondary. Seems like their communication via email may be a little off

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Priority alternate list ... anyone know how many they typically take from this group?

Reactions: 1 users
Priority alternate list ... anyone know how many they typically take from this group?

Wait, is there two different alternate lists? My email just says I was placed on the alternate list, but doesn't say anything about priority.

Wait, is there two different alternate lists? My email just says I was placed on the alternate list, but doesn't say anything about priority.
There must be two waitlists then ... not sure how different they are/what percent is admitted off of each

Priority Alternate List as well, interviewed Sept 20th.

Priority Alternate List, interviewed mid October. Super bummed about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any IIs went out lately? Any IS people complete end of July still heard nothing?

Any IIs went out lately? Any IS people complete end of July still heard nothing?
Yeah, still silence. IS Complete 7/31. Talked to Dr. Heinrich via email in November. Basically said my application is awesome except MCAT's lower than average. Which I already knew...

Yeah, still silence. IS Complete 7/31. Talked to Dr. Heinrich via email in November. Basically said my application is awesome except MCAT's lower than average. Which I already knew...
Yeah, I talked to Heinrich too. He encouraged ED, I didn't do it, and now nothing, so Idk what to think!

Does anyone know if during the interview they have your secondary with them? I can’t remember what I answered and when I try online it’s blank.

to which question? first or second?

my student had read at least read some of my application because he knew of some of my activities. id say that the fact they were given our applications that the interview with them holds at least some amount of weight but i actually didnt ask...

Can any current student tell me if there is a cafeteria for students other than the one in UHNJ? Also, does anyone know if you can have small animals in 180 W Market? Thank you

are there any current students here willing to talk about safety? my parents keep sending me articles about newark and since it's looking increasingly likely that i'll be attending NJMS i wanted a student perspective if possible :) thanks in advance!

So I am a student interviewer and yes we do get all your activities and your personal statement, but no scores/gpa etc. It does matter but not nearly as much as a faculty interview. It’s mainky there for us to figure out if your personality is a good fit with our school and for you to ask any questions you have. In general, very Informal, and I can think of only one time where someone actually felt compelled to give a bad evaluation (the interviewee did well in the faculty interview and then got hardcore racist in the student interview, thinking it didn’t matter).

Same I was complete since July.
What did you speak to dean Heinrich about? Like did you send him a letter of interest?

Same I was complete since July.
What did you speak to dean Heinrich about? Like did you send him a letter of interest?
Yup, a letter of interest and updates. He replied basically saying everything's good but what's up with that MCAT??

Okay, I say this knowing that I'll probably receive a billion DM's asking for more specifics, but I was originally put on priority waitlist in December of 2013 after interviewing on 10/31 that year. I sent an update expressing interest in maybe February or March. Then I sent another close to when the "you must accept only one program" date was (some time in May I think), and then sent emails to Heinrich almost every 2 weeks. Finally, in June he asked me, "since you've been in contact with me so much, why don't you come in to speak with me about your application for next season?" I went in and treated it like a re-interview and his first question to me was literally, "If the admissions committee were in the room next to us right now and you could say one thing to get accepted, what would you say?" Don't ask me what I said - I blacked out and can't remember, but it worked because I got the call about a week or two later. Apparently there was a student who was on the fence about taking a year off and he wanted to meet me in person. Initially I sent updates to the office, and then emailed Dean Heinrich directly. The contents of my email were never just to pester them - I always tried to give an update on what I was doing, what my plan was for the following year should I reapply, and then always added some element of interest in the program. I'm graduating this year so it clearly worked. Don't lose hope. It is still early and you will likely not hear about getting off a waitlist until after that May whatever date, but you can always do something to keep your file at the top of the pile (figuratively - I don't think there is an actual pile).

Yup, a letter of interest and updates. He replied basically saying everything's good but what's up with that MCAT??
So I sent that to the admissions office email, is that essentially the same?

So I sent that to the admissions office email, is that essentially the same?
I'd think so. I sent it personally to Dr. Heinrich and he also responded saying my letter has been added to my file.

Does anyone know if committees meet this week? Or do they wait until after new years?

Did anyone who was accepted have to wait more than two months after interview to be notified? Or is everyone who doesn't hear back after 2 months after interview waitlisted and rejected?

Anyone know when the last II's will be? Also, how do we send updates for our app? Email the dean or just email the generic admissions email address?

Anyone know when the last II's will be? Also, how do we send updates for our app? Email the dean or just email the generic admissions email address?

updates go to the generic admissions email address.

Did anyone who was accepted have to wait more than two months after interview to be notified? Or is everyone who doesn't hear back after 2 months after interview waitlisted and rejected?
As someone who was told I'd hear "5-6 weeks" after the interview back when dinosaurs still walked the earth, I too would be interested in knowing this.

Reactions: 3 users
To anyone who is interviewing/already interviewed here...where would you recommend staying? Do you know of any place that offers special room rates for interviewees. Thank you!

Can anyone give me an estimate of what time the interview day is over? My interview's at 11, but i see there is lunch/tour starting at 12. (I need to buy a train ticket back to school after my interview in a couple weeks)

Can anyone give me an estimate of what time the interview day is over? My interview's at 11, but i see there is lunch/tour starting at 12. (I need to buy a train ticket back to school after my interview in a couple weeks)
The time the day ends depends on whether you have your interview before or after lunch. If it's before, you leave right after lunch. If it's after you'll probably be done around 3 or so unless your interviewer goes over time (which does happen). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
The time the day ends depends on whether you have your interview before or after lunch. If it's before, you leave right after lunch. If it's after you'll probably be done around 3 or so unless your interviewer goes over time (which does happen). Good luck!
Should also add that NJMS is about 5 minutes away from Newark Penn station and there is a shuttle that runs every ~15 or so minutes during the weekdays that stops right outside the Medical Sciences Building and will take you to Newark Penn.

Has Rutgers NJMS sent out any rejections/ pre-interview holds this cycle?