2017-2018 Rutgers University - NJMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anybody know if you can get moved from the regular alternate list to the priority alternate list?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard back anything recently? It has seemed rather quiet

Has anyone heard back anything recently? It has seemed rather quiet
Me waiting for that Dr. Heinrich call

CIwmzOLWEAAIqfh.png

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like no one has posted an acceptance in over a month
Based on facebook page, it seems like a lot of people got accepted on Christmas Eve and there's been couple acceptances after including today as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Still silence since i was complete in August, and I sent updates about grades, new volunteering, and research over break. Any chance they are still sending out II?

Reactions: 2 users
I believe they already filled up their class in December. Which is a bummer. This info from my Health Professions Office at Rutgers who are close with NJMS and RWJMS.

Has anyone heard back from an end-of-November interview? I remember they said 8-10 weeks, but it looks like turnaround has been shorter in the past. :scared:

I believe they already filled up their class in December. Which is a bummer. This info from my Health Professions Office at Rutgers who are close with NJMS and RWJMS.
This would not really make a lot of sense since there are people on this thread who have interviews at NJMS in January. I find it hard to believe they would waste those people’s time and money if they had zero chance of getting in cause the class was filled in December, but who knows

This would not really make a lot of sense since there are people on this thread who have interviews at NJMS in January. I find it hard to believe they would waste those people’s time and money if they had zero chance of getting in cause the class was filled in December, but who knows
I think they already accepted more people than spots in the class but a lot of those people will turn down the offers in April so they’ll accept more people then.

I think they already accepted more people than spots in the class but a lot of those people will turn down the offers in April so they’ll accept more people then.

but why would they still continue to interview when they have a list of people that they have already wait-listed and others that they have interviewed and haven't rejected, accepted or wait-listed? Seems pretty lame to continue to interview knowing that there's a slim to none chance of getting in. After all, pre-med students usually don't have an excess of money to spend on travel/hotel etc. I've already been accepted to a school, so it's not the end of the world to me, but it just seems callous to lead others on who still have interviews scheduled. I want to believe that they would be more thoughtful with students lives.

but why would they still continue to interview when they have a list of people that they have already wait-listed and others that they have interviewed and haven't rejected, accepted or wait-listed? Seems pretty lame to continue to interview knowing that there's a slim to none chance of getting in. After all, pre-med students usually don't have an excess of money to spend on travel/hotel etc. I've already been accepted to a school, so it's not the end of the world to me, but it just seems callous to lead others on who still have interviews scheduled. I want to believe that they would be more thoughtful with students lives.

I heard that NJMS does, in fact, have interviews for the waitlist. It seems their waitlist is small right now so they need to fill that up. It would make sense since its rolling admissions. They would use that to safeguard against under-enrolling. But who knows? Maybe there are 50 spots left. Or 5. I know that they only accept about 350 (of which 60 spots come from ED, so technically 290 in regular pool). Then people turn down the offer. But then they use the waitlist to get that accepted number back up to 178, which is the max class size.

I heard that NJMS does, in fact, have interviews for the waitlist. It seems their waitlist is small right now so they need to fill that up. It would make sense since its rolling admissions. They would use that to safeguard against under-enrolling. But who knows? Maybe there are 50 spots left. Or 5. I know that they only accept about 350 (of which 60 spots come from ED, so technically 290 in regular pool). Then people turn down the offer. But then they use the waitlist to get that accepted number back up to 178, which is the max class size.

well, I guess whatever it is, it is--it's out of our control

Members don't see this ad :)
Im just going to hope you are all just trying to lower our expectations so that when all of us get the call we will be even more ecstatic

Reactions: 2 users
Im just going to hope you are all just trying to lower our expectations so that when all of us get the call we will be even more ecstatic

I did get a response to an e-mail I sent to Dean Heinrich on December 30th saying that the process is running slower this year, so hopefully, that means that as of then, they did not fill the class in December. Fingers crossed for everyone!

Does NJMS have multiple alternate lists? Also, does anyone know the likelihood of being accepted off of the alternate list, based on previous years?

Does NJMS have multiple alternate lists? Also, does anyone know the likelihood of being accepted off of the alternate list, based on previous years?

they have alternate and high priority wait lists. high priority is good, alternate is basically a soft rejection based on previous years

Interviewed about a month ago... I’m guessing I won’t be hearing back for a while. Anyone know how long it usually takes with this school?

Interviewed about a month ago... I’m guessing I won’t be hearing back for a while. Anyone know how long it usually takes with this school?

I'm at 9 weeks now and this thread has seemed rather silent, so hopefully not much longer since I'm going crazy

Accepted last night!!!! OOS

2018 MD Applicant: Caribbean |New York
LizzyM: ~62|| Primaries: 21||Secondaries: 19||Withdraws: 3|| II: 11||II Attended: 10||Acceptances: 2|| Pre-II Rejections: 3|| Post-II Rejections: 1|| Waitlists: 2

Accepted last night!!!! OOS

LizzyM: ~62|| Primaries: 21||Secondaries: 19||Withdraws: 3|| II: 11||II Attended: 10||Acceptances: 2|| Pre-II Rejections: 3|| Post-II Rejections: 1|| Waitlists: 2

Congrats! When was your interview?

Does anyone have any thoughts on sending an update letter (e.g. new scribe position, volunteering, fall semester grades) post-II but BEFORE a decision is made? Would it be better to wait until the Adcom makes a decision or does it really matter? Thanks.

EDIT: I interviewed here on 12/20.

prob gonna want to wait bc it wont make much of a difference right now. if you got waitlisted that all would be beneficial

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! When was your interview?

In late November

LizzyM: ~62|| Primaries: 21||Secondaries: 19||Withdraws: 4|| II: 11||II Attended: 10||Acceptances: 3|| Pre-II Rejections: 3|| Post-II Rejections: 1|| Waitlists: 1

anyone who interviewed early/mid december hear back yet?

Does anyone know how many applicants have been accepted from the high priority alternate list from past years?

mmm are they keeping two alternate lists (high priority vs. regular) this year as well?

Interviewed 12/14 and have heard nothing....starting to lose hope. I really fell in love with the school during my interview :(. Has anyone heard of acceptances going out recently?

II just now! Finallyyyy some love from NJMS

In order for awards to be awarded and shown in your FA packages, must the Rutgers-specific financial aid application be submitted? And in terms of the promissory note and counseling, that's only for taking loans, correct? Not inherent to school awards and aid?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Alternate list here last week after interviewing in December. Completely forgot about this school. Not really surprising since my interviewer hated me from the second I walked in and told me I should be considering the Caribbean for med school. I Interviewed at and got accepted to much, much higher ranked schools, and they actually seemed impressed with me as an applicant. Whatever, not even mad. Today I got basically a full tuition scholarship to a school ranked way higher than Rutgers.

Also as an aside, out of my 15+ interviews this cycle, this school had hands down the worst location and facilities I have seen. Very old and run down. Would have probably attended any of the other 14 schools I interviewed at instead of here because of that alone. Even with the IS tuition.

Alternate list here last week after interviewing in December. Completely forgot about this school. Not really surprising since my interviewer hated me from the second I walked in and told me I should be considering the Caribbean for med school. I Interviewed at and got accepted to much, much higher ranked schools, and they actually seemed impressed with me as an applicant. Whatever, not even mad. Today I got basically a full tuition scholarship to a school ranked way higher than Rutgers.

Also as an aside, out of my 15+ interviews this cycle, this school had hands down the worst location and facilities I have seen. Very old and run down. Would have probably attended any of the other 14 schools I interviewed at instead of here because of that alone. Even with the IS tuition.

Mate...

Not gonna lie, I had an exact opposite experience. The interviewer and students were great. I sincerely doubt that an interviewer told you outright to go to the carribean (even if they were thinking it). This rant honestly sounds much more like a strong reaction to being placed on the alternate list (kind of like a temper tantrum a toddler throws when they have to go to bed before dessert). This superiority complex that you seem to have is probably the reason you rubbed the interviewer and/or the school the wrong way.

In my experience, the facilities were average compared to other schools I interviewed at, public and private. NJMS has a great vibe, an above average match list, and a good amount of research opportunities. Newark obviously isn’t the greatest to live in, but neither are many medical schools as these areas tend to afford students a better direct clinical experience.

In summary, I honestly doubt your story. Either you didn’t have as much success with your cycle as you claim or you honestly just screwed up your interview royally and, due to your aforementioned superiority complex, displaced the blame on the other party.

Reactions: 8 users
In that case, enjoy your "basically" full tuition scholarship. I'm sure the Trump-esque superiority complex will benefit you in the future

Reactions: 6 users

Despite what you may think, NJMS is a very good school. A lot of us are very excited to go to school here. Take your negativity elsewhere.

Reactions: 10 users
Not gonna lie, I had an exact opposite experience. The interviewer and students were great. I sincerely doubt that an interviewer told you outright to go to the carribean (even if they were thinking it). This rant honestly sounds much more like a strong reaction to being placed on the alternate list (kind of like a temper tantrum a toddler throws when they have to go to bed before dessert). This superiority complex that you seem to have is probably the reason you rubbed the interviewer and/or the school the wrong way.

In my experience, the facilities were average compared to other schools I interviewed at, public and private. NJMS has a great vibe, an above average match list, and a good amount of research opportunities. Newark obviously isn’t the greatest to live in, but neither are many medical schools as these areas tend to afford students a better direct clinical experience.

In summary, I honestly doubt your story. Either you didn’t have as much success with your cycle as you claim or you honestly just screwed up your interview royally and, due to your aforementioned superiority complex, displaced the blame on the other party.
I don't doubt that you had a good experience. I had very good experiences at other schools where at the same time people had poor experiences. It varies person to person.

My interviewer had asked me if I was accepted to med school yet. At the time, I was not. I told him no, and he said well you are already on a gap year, the last thing you want to do is take 2. You should be considering applying and going to school "abroad" rather than reapplying if you don't get in.

If you don't believe my "success" go read the UVM thread. I posted about my acceptance and scholarship before posting here. There are other threads where I posted my acceptances too, but I think one piece of evidence is enough. Just because someone had a bad experience they are lying? I have no intentions of being negative here, I was just sharing my experience. All of a sudden only positive experiences are allowed to be shared? What are we in North Korea?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user