2017-2018 Saint Louis University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary:

1. Is any member of your family a student or graduate of Saint Louis University School of Medicine? Y/N
if Y, it asks for alumni names.

2. Will you be a full-time student for the 2017-2018 academic year? Y/N
if Y, it asks to describe your current activities, max 10,000 characters.

3. Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee? Y/N
if Y, a text box appears to write your essay. Max 10,000 characters.

4. Were you ever the recipient of any action (eg dismissal, disqualification, suspension, etc) by any college for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violations? Y/N
if Y, a text box appears with the prompt: Please explain fully. Max 10,000 characters.

5. Would you like to apply for the MD/PhD program? Y/N
if Y, a large section appears at the bottom of the application.
Essays: Physician Scientist Practice Vision
Relate your current thinking about the type and scope of clinical career that you seek. Remember that most applicants cannot identify at this point the specific medical disciplines they might choose for residency programs. However, you may have preliminary ideas about your relative interest in direct patient care vs. consultative service, translational vs. basic research, academic medical center vs. corporate, etc. (max 10,000 characters).
Mentor References:
Provide the names, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers for up to three (3) past mentors who are personally knowledgeable about your research experience. We will contact these individuals upon receiving your completed AMCAS and secondary applications, but it is your responsibility to ensure their timely responses. Choose individuals who will respond to specific questions regarding your aptitude, interest, and conduct in the laboratory; the Program already will have copies of any letters they have written to accompany your AMCAS application.

6. I have read and understand the academic and technical standards and can comply with those requirements. Y/N

It then asks for you to upload a JGP image, and a $100 app fee.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did some people who submitted yesterday get an email from them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does that mean schools know exactly when you submit even before you are verified. Do they have access to your app before amcas sends them out?
Don't think so. I haven't submitted yet and still got an email from them. I think if you took the MCAT they get your info

I didn't. What did it say?

It basically said to check their school web page and nothing more. It is not even addressed to you by name. "Prospective student"

Debating on whether or not to write anything for their second essay question. People got interviews last year with and without it (though, the only ones really reporting were people with MCATs ~515). Anyone leaning one way or the other?

Debating on whether or not to write anything for their second essay question. People got interviews last year with and without it (though, the only ones really reporting were people with MCATs ~515). Anyone leaning one way or the other?
SLU been changing their secondaries, I dont think I will be pre-writing those

Members don't see this ad :)

that's the "additional comments" section?

I was thinking of writing about a shadowing a doctor (just last week! for the week). When I sent out my amcas this didn't happen yet so I didn't include it in the primary

I kind of read that as a catch up your application section, updates etc

Also applying to this school! I'm an undergraduate student here, and I honestly hate this city, but I can't complain if I get into SLU Med!

A lot of people used the additional comments section as a "why SLU" section. I think this is wise if you keep it around 1000-2000 characters. SLU is a Jesuit school and has a very unique mission and vision.

Just a heads up if you do attend SLU Med; the area around SLU is pretty rough. I have had shots go off right outside my apartment window. One of my friends was shot while navigating around the city, and a couple more were robbed at gunpoint while walking around the outskirts of campus. We also get put on lock-down quite often due to various things that happen around our campus. Not the friendliest city for sure, but both campuses are quite beautiful otherwise!

Good luck to everyone applying here, and if you guys have any questions about the city or the campuses (the undergrad campus and med campus are literally right next to each other), let me know!

Also applying to this school! I'm an undergraduate student here, and I honestly hate this city, but I can't complain if I get into SLU Med!

A lot of people used the additional comments section as a "why SLU" section. I think this is wise if you keep it around 1000-2000 characters. SLU is a Jesuit school and has a very unique mission and vision.

Just a heads up if you do attend SLU Med; the area around SLU is pretty rough. I have had shots go off right outside my apartment window. One of my friends was shot while navigating around the city, and a couple more were robbed at gunpoint while walking around the outskirts of campus. We also get put on lock-down quite often due to various things that happen around our campus. Not the friendliest city for sure, but both campuses are quite beautiful otherwise!

Good luck to everyone applying here, and if you guys have any questions about the city or the campuses (the undergrad campus and med campus are literally right next to each other), let me know!

good to know about the additional comments section! and city safety :(
oh well, I just want to be a doctor and would be more than grateful to get in here or anywhere

Reactions: 1 user

good to know about the additional comments section! and city safety :(
oh well, I just want to be a doctor and would be more than grateful to get in here or anywhere

Yeah SLU is right by a pretty rough part of STL. There are quite a few rough areas in the city, but as long as you aren't too wild or adventurous then it shouldn't be a problem. I'm a MO resident and I've spent PLENTY of time in STL, especially around the East St. Louis area. As long as you explore the parts of the city that aren't immediately outside of SLU then you should be fine. If you're that worried about safety then you can live in St. Peters, St. Charles, Chesterfield, etc. It will just be quite a commute.

Yeah SLU is right by a pretty rough part of STL. There are quite a few rough areas in the city, but as long as you aren't too wild or adventurous then it shouldn't be a problem. I'm a MO resident and I've spent PLENTY of time in STL, especially around the East St. Louis area. As long as you explore the parts of the city that aren't immediately outside of SLU then you should be fine. If you're that worried about safety then you can live in St. Peters, St. Charles, Chesterfield, etc. It will just be quite a commute.

Did my undergrad at Wash U and I will second this. A good general rule of thumb is don't be an idiot and you'll be about as safe as any other big city. I wouldn't write off SLU just because of safety concerns.

Got a secondary from here earlier today!

1. Is any member of your family a student or graduate of Saint Louis University School of Medicine? Y/N
if Y, it asks for alumni names.

2. Will you be a full-time student for the 2017-2018 academic year? Y/N
if Y, it asks to describe your current activities, max 10,000 characters.

3. Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee? Y/N
if Y, a text box appears to write your essay. Max 10,000 characters.

4. Were you ever the recipient of any action (eg dismissal, disqualification, suspension, etc) by any college for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violations? Y/N
if Y, a text box appears with the prompt: Please explain fully. Max 10,000 characters.

5. Would you like to apply for the MD/PhD program? Y/N
if Y, a large section appears at the bottom of the application.
Essays: Physician Scientist Practice Vision
Relate your current thinking about the type and scope of clinical career that you seek. Remember that most applicants cannot identify at this point the specific medical disciplines they might choose for residency programs. However, you may have preliminary ideas about your relative interest in direct patient care vs. consultative service, translational vs. basic research, academic medical center vs. corporate, etc. (max 10,000 characters).
Mentor References:
Provide the names, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers for up to three (3) past mentors who are personally knowledgeable about your research experience. We will contact these individuals upon receiving your completed AMCAS and secondary applications, but it is your responsibility to ensure their timely responses. Choose individuals who will respond to specific questions regarding your aptitude, interest, and conduct in the laboratory; the Program already will have copies of any letters they have written to accompany your AMCAS application.

6. I have read and understand the academic and technical standards and can comply with those requirements. Y/N

It then asks for you to upload a JGP image, and a $100 app fee.

@Lucca @WedgeDawg

Reactions: 2 users
The mentor references is a pet peeve of mine. For two of my labs I had been out for about a year and I doubt they check their emails. Debating on whether to even submit the secondary because I don't want to go through the hassle of contacting them.

The mentor references is a pet peeve of mine. For two of my labs I had been out for about a year and I doubt they check their emails. Debating on whether to even submit the secondary because I don't want to go through the hassle of contacting them.
The mentor references are only for MD/PhD, correct?

Got the secondary, also kind of curious about the mentor references. I already have a LOR from the PI at my lab, and I honestly don't want to keep pestering him as he's very busy.

The mentor references are only for MD/PhD, correct?

I just submitted and didn't see a single entry about mentor references, so yes - pretty sure it's only for md/phd

Reactions: 2 users
Received and submitted. Good luck, everyone!

For the additional comments question, are most of you filling that out, or is that more geared towards non-trads? I would like to use that space to convey how SLU's mission is perfectly on par with my own mission to pursue medicine, but I don't know if that would be the place to do it as it may just seem like I"m trying to fluff up my app.

FYI, the #2 question only gives you space to explain your current activities for 2017-2018 if you answer No.

For the additional comments question, are most of you filling that out, or is that more geared towards non-trads? I would like to use that space to convey how SLU's mission is perfectly on par with my own mission to pursue medicine, but I don't know if that would be the place to do it as it may just seem like I"m trying to fluff up my app.

For reference, last year people reported IIs with and without answering that prompt. These were of varying LizzyM scores. Mine isn't exactly impressive (especially for ORM), so I'm thinking about answering "Why SLU?" as well. However, part of me thinks that 90% who answer that question are going to put "why SLU" and 80% of those will probably say roughly the same thing.

What does it say for your guys' LOR status? Received or not received?

For reference, last year people reported IIs with and without answering that prompt. These were of varying LizzyM scores. Mine isn't exactly impressive (especially for ORM), so I'm thinking about answering "Why SLU?" as well. However, part of me thinks that 90% who answer that question are going to put "why SLU" and 80% of those will probably say roughly the same thing.

What about a diversity essay here?

What about a diversity essay here?

Not a bad idea. I did that last year, which clearly didn't work out too well. I also hated my responses last year so that probably is more indicative of why I didn't get an II lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Am I trippin or are there no essays?

Can anyone comment on the Jesuit mission of the school? I had not thought of investigating the mission before applying (I assumed it was just named Saint Louis for the area) and I'm Jewish, so I'd rather not go to a heavily Catholic school....that, combined with the location, is making me rethink submitting the secondary.

Can anyone comment on the Jesuit mission of the school? I had not thought of investigating the mission before applying (I assumed it was just named Saint Louis for the area) and I'm Jewish, so I'd rather not go to a heavily Catholic school....that, combined with the location, is making me rethink submitting the secondary.

Saint Louis although Jesuit, is incredibly secular. Take it from a guy who was raised islamic and is now non religious haha. You will be fine. :)

After doing the monster that is the MCG secondary, this secondary was a little bit of heaven

Secondary received and submitted. I answered the 'what you're doing if you're not in school in 2017-2018' question and left the other one blank. But now after coming here, I'm thinking I should've said something about being a re-applicant/diversity/why SLU hybrid essay. Should I upload a essay as .pdf on the additional documents section? Just I let it be and not worry about it? Ugh any feedback is much appreciated :(

This might be stupid question, but it asks for a photo and I'm conflicted on whether I should dress up and take professional photo or if I should just use any old photo of myself lol. Pls help

This might be stupid question, but it asks for a photo and I'm conflicted on whether I should dress up and take professional photo or if I should just use any old photo of myself lol. Pls help

wife beater, gold chain and jean shorts should do the trick

Reactions: 11 users
Thumbtack.com, I got a professional photographer to take a good pic of me for 90$. Yes, dress professional. Never give ADCOMs a reason to dump your app in the trash.

Thumbtack.com, I got a professional photographer to take a good pic of me for 90$. Yes, dress professional. Never give ADCOMs a reason to dump your app in the trash.

With all due respect, $90 is way too much. Go to Walgreens and get a passport photo or something. If your school offers free LinkedIn picture sessions then all the better.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users

Definitely DO NOT let the religious aspect of the school deter you at all. You will feel no religious pressure, and the school is welcoming to individuals of all religions and backgrounds. Do some research on the mission; it stresses a well-rounded education and service to humanity and God. It's not some weird cult-ish mission that forces you to become a Jesuit.

I am agnostic, and I have thoroughly enjoyed my education here. As an undergrad, we had required theology classes as part of our core, but you won't have anything like that in medical school.

Reactions: 1 users