2017-2018 Saint Louis University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I had my mom's coworker take professional looking photos of me with her nice camera for free! Use who you know :)

Also, submitted my secondary today!

Current MS2 at SLU here. SLU doesn't push its students to follow a religious doctrine, if that's what you're getting at. I'm personally protestant and have never felt any religous pressure from faculty. There is a Father on campus to talk to if you want, but he offers free snacks and drinks to all med students that pass by his office. Also the white coat ceremony takes place in the university church, but that's one day of many you will have in med school. As an example, after anatomy lab every year they do a memorial service for the families of the donated bodies, and the coordinators strive to make it an inclusive as possible (multiple religions and backgrounds involved to give words of comfort). Hope that helps assuage any discomfort with the idea of attending a Jesuit school.
Thanks for sharing your feelings.

Do you have any comments about the area? Particularly, safety-wise?

Members don't see this ad :)
Called admissions today (for a different reason), and also asked about LORs. No LORs from AMCAS have been transmitted to SLU so it's an internal issue with AAMC and transmission. No action needed from applicants.

Reactions: 4 users
How many characters are people actually using if you're a non-trad? I was thinking around 3,000?

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I have decided not to submit my secondary here for several reasons....mostly that I honestly don't think I stand a chance here what with my low MCAT and not being URM, and the fact that I would choose many other schools over STU even if I were admitted (including my DO schools). That, coupled with the $100 secondary and the fact that they are on probation, has led me to decide to skip out on this one.

Best of luck to everyone else :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey does anybody else's application say that their LORs have not been received? I used the AMCAS letter service, shouldn't I expect to see the letter here? Might have to call them to see.

*edit: ignore me I just read everyone's post about this

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 1.33.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 1.33.55 AM.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 140
how big of a deal is the probation thing? what happens if they decide to revoke whatever accreditation the lcme is threatening to revoke?

how big of a deal is the probation thing? what happens if they decide to revoke whatever accreditation the lcme is threatening to revoke?

It's not a big deal IMHO. School's get put on probation all the time by the LCME. It's just because they get a thousand factors looked at and it's easy to have a couple of flaws that aren't by the book. Their accreditation isn't going to be revoked.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's not a big deal IMHO. School's get put on probation all the time by the LCME. It's just because they get a thousand factors looked at and it's easy to have a couple of flaws that aren't by the book. Their accreditation isn't going to be revoked.

I was worried too... but in this article it talks of how Baylor and GW had been put on probation before but got that lifted
SLU medical school on life support | The University News

Anyone have their LOR received? I sent mine in May to AMCAS, it's kinda lame they haven't been received yet

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have their LOR received? I sent mine in May to AMCAS, it's kinda lame they haven't been received yet

Nope. I'd say just be patient. You have done everything on your end, and nobody seems to have them in.... so no worries, it's most likely just an administrative thing.

Anyone done with Casper? I'm pretty worried about it, to be quite honest. I'm signed up for this Sunday but have not had any time to study for it. Never taken a bioethics class or anything of that sort. Would it be a better idea to push the test date back to July 26th? Feel as if that's a bit late, but it's the only other option. Would love any input!

Anyone done with Casper? I'm pretty worried about it, to be quite honest. I'm signed up for this Sunday but have not had any time to study for it. Never taken a bioethics class or anything of that sort. Would it be a better idea to push the test date back to July 26th? Feel as if that's a bit late, but it's the only other option. Would love any input!

No lol just brush up on some MMI prep and learn how to type fast in the next couple of days. You should be golden

No lol just brush up on some MMI prep and learn how to type fast in the next couple of days. You should be golden

Does SLU require CASPer? And do you guys know which schools require it this cycle?

What have people added to their "vision" question when they say etc. at the end of it? Can't think of any comparisons in addition to what they give in the prompt.

Mine are also saying still not received, must just have to be patient!
+ 1. Mine also shows not received. Secondary submitted on July 3. Their email said it takes 24 hours for LORs to be received but it is 6 days now!

Submitted day one. Letters have yet to arrive.

+ 1. Mine also shows not received. Secondary submitted on July 3. Their email said it takes 24 hours for LORs to be received but it is 6 days now!

I submitted 7/3 at 10:45 AM and they just received mine yesterday. I've had those letters of rec into AMCAS early June. A lot of other schools also haven't received mine yet, though. Seems like AMCAS is slow at sending them out to the schools.

Just checked my portal again. It seems they downloaded the letters today. The communication status tab says my application is complete even though I didn't receive the e-mail.

Anyone else not have all their LORs in and are stressing? I am still waiting on one and every week or so he keeps saying sorry and that he will submit it but then he doesn't. I know he is swamped...but man. I have already gone to his office to deliver two separate thank-you gifts...

Still waiting for my committee letter... :hungover:

Anyone else not have all their LORs in and are stressing? I am still waiting on one and every week or so he keeps saying sorry and that he will submit it but then he doesn't. I know he is swamped...but man. I have already gone to his office to deliver two separate thank-you gifts...

That's why I did not write thank you notes or give gifts until they were all submitted. I also gave them a strict deadline and gave them an email reminder two weeks and one week before the due date. Hate to say it, but if he has not submitted the letter and you've waited longer than 1.5 months, I would find someone else. Either he is trying to reject you without saying so or writing this letter is far down on his list of things to get done (in which case the letter he ends up writing may do more harm than good). Just my opinion though.

I also did reminders leading up to the deadline. The weird part is the letter is already finished (at least the vast majority)--when I was there last time he pulled it up and asked me to verify a few specific dates and was all "I am submitting tonight!" Well a week later and no news... Should I just ask him directly if he is no longer comfortable submitting for some reason? Either way, I think I will go ahead and ask someone else just to cover my bases. Ugh

Yeah, I'd ask him, but I'd also have that discussion take place face to face. The same thing happened to me in April when I was collecting my letters. One of my writers was gung-ho on writing one for me and then life got in the way and it never materialized. I had a backup already writing one luckily so I didn't sweat too much about it. Even if I'm 100% incorrect about your situation (which I could be) it's still good to have a backup. No point in delaying a great app due to no fault of your own.

Still waiting for my committee letter... :hungover:

and for anyone else waiting... hang in there and don't stress too much as that never helped anything ;)

mostly commenting because I love your wobbuffett!

I also did reminders leading up to the deadline. The weird part is the letter is already finished (at least the vast majority)--when I was there last time he pulled it up and asked me to verify a few specific dates and was all "I am submitting tonight!" Well a week later and no news... Should I just ask him directly if he is no longer comfortable submitting for some reason? Either way, I think I will go ahead and ask someone else just to cover my bases. Ugh
I am sorry that is the worst thing ever! I just went through that too. My science prof just submitted my letter almost 1 full month after the deadline i gave him. I was going crazy but I kept emailing him and calling to remind him (he does like 35 letters each cycle bc large public university) and he finally got to me. Just know that your feeling of relief will happen!! And it will be great

Incoming ms1 here :)

I left the additional information section blank last year and still got an II early on. My interviewer here also mentioned that he wasn't Catholic during my interview and that all religions/beliefs/or lack-there-of were welcome at this school, so the religious affiliation is not something to worry about. I could tell he was trying to make me feel comfortable, though I am Christian so this wasn't an issue for me at all.

I ended up choosing this school over a few others because I felt comfortable here during my interview, my mentor from my home state went here and had a good experience (matched ortho), I liked the p/f pre-clinical curriculum (no mandatory lectures), and I felt that this school offered me a chance to learn how I do best and be successful based on my own hard work (all that I can ask for). After my interviews I realized that I would hate a curriculum with mandatory lectures, heavy PBL, or things like that.

Feel free to ask me anything else (I admit that I know very little if anything at all though) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I left the additional information section blank last year and still got an II early on. My interviewer here also mentioned that he wasn't Catholic during my interview and that all religions/beliefs/or lack-there-of were welcome at this school, so the religious affiliation is not something to worry about. I could tell her was trying to make me feel comfortable, though I am Christian so this wasn't an issue for me at all.

I ended up choosing this school over a few others because I felt comfortable here during my interview, my mentor from my home state went here and had a good experience (matched ortho), I liked the p/f pre-clinical curriculum (no mandatory lectures), and I felt that this school offered me a chance to learn how I do best and be successful based on my own hard work (all that I can ask for). After my interviews I realized that I would hate a curriculum with mandatory lectures, heavy PBL, or things like that.

Feel free to ask me anything else (I admit that I know very little if anything at all though) :)
Do you think the school is doing anything about the probabtion? Is affecting students education?

Do you think the school is doing anything about the probabtion? Is affecting students education?

You can follow how the school is working to address the probation here:

LCME Accreditation : SLU

Every student I have talked to says that they feel supported in their education and training.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Called admissions today (for a different reason), and also asked about LORs. No LORs from AMCAS have been transmitted to SLU so it's an internal issue with AAMC and transmission. No action needed from applicants.

Thank you, I was just going to ask this!! Received and submitted today!

Does SLU have any interesting programs? Rural health? Global health? I can't find much on their website

Secondary:

1. Is any member of your family a student or graduate of Saint Louis University School of Medicine? Y/N
if Y, it asks for alumni names.

2. Will you be a full-time student for the 2017-2018 academic year? Y/N
if Y, it asks to describe your current activities, max 10,000 characters.

3. Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee? Y/N
if Y, a text box appears to write your essay. Max 10,000 characters.

4. Were you ever the recipient of any action (eg dismissal, disqualification, suspension, etc) by any college for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violations? Y/N
if Y, a text box appears with the prompt: Please explain fully. Max 10,000 characters.

5. Would you like to apply for the MD/PhD program? Y/N
if Y, a large section appears at the bottom of the application.
Essays: Physician Scientist Practice Vision
Relate your current thinking about the type and scope of clinical career that you seek. Remember that most applicants cannot identify at this point the specific medical disciplines they might choose for residency programs. However, you may have preliminary ideas about your relative interest in direct patient care vs. consultative service, translational vs. basic research, academic medical center vs. corporate, etc. (max 10,000 characters).
Mentor References:
Provide the names, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers for up to three (3) past mentors who are personally knowledgeable about your research experience. We will contact these individuals upon receiving your completed AMCAS and secondary applications, but it is your responsibility to ensure their timely responses. Choose individuals who will respond to specific questions regarding your aptitude, interest, and conduct in the laboratory; the Program already will have copies of any letters they have written to accompany your AMCAS application.

6. I have read and understand the academic and technical standards and can comply with those requirements. Y/N

It then asks for you to upload a JGP image, and a $100 app fee.

For question #2, we only have to describe our activities if we are NOT a full-time student for the upcoming year right? Just wanted to confirm because here it says if you say Y, which means you have to write it if you are a full-time student, but on the application, space for the essay only comes up if you select N.

For question #2, we only have to describe our activities if we are NOT a full-time student for the upcoming year right? Just wanted to confirm because here it says if you say Y, which means you have to write it if you are a full-time student, but on the application, space for the essay only comes up if you select N.
Yes! The Original post just had a tiny error and should have said, If N: then answer

Does SLU have any interesting programs? Rural health? Global health? I can't find much on their website

Just saw this on the website if you want to look into them:

SLU School of Medicine also offers two scholarships for fourth-year students who plan to travel internationally to provide health care in developing countries:
  • The Everett M. Sugarbaker Scholarship awards up to $2,000. Preference will be given to students attending the Sugarbaker Memorial Clinic in Nyeri, Kenya.
  • The Dr. Tom Dooley Memorial International Elective Scholarship Program helps defray travel expenses for medical students participating in an international externship, and is awarded at the completion of the elective. The amount is to be determined.

I left the additional information section blank last year and still got an II early on. My interviewer here also mentioned that he wasn't Catholic during my interview and that all religions/beliefs/or lack-there-of were welcome at this school, so the religious affiliation is not something to worry about. I could tell he was trying to make me feel comfortable, though I am Christian so this wasn't an issue for me at all.

do you (or any current students on the thread) know if SLU offers any specific research opportunities (a research track or thesis option or distinction option, etc)

do you (or any current students on the thread) know if SLU offers any specific research opportunities (a research track or thesis option or distinction option, etc)

There are many research opportunities at SLU and also at WashU down the road. Most of the students that I met on my interview day did research in the summer after M1 and received funding/grants to do so. Are you looking for something more specifically? I think it's more important to know what your goal in research would be (academic medicine, competitive specialty, strong personal interest) than to look for an extra-something to simply add to your medical degree. The opportunities are there for all students, even if there isn't a formal program or track for it at SLU.

@theonlytycrane With SLU having a religious affiliation, are there resources available to LGBT students? Do LGBT individuals feel comfortable on campus? I know the main university has resources available, but wasn't sure about the medical school.

@theonlytycrane With SLU having a religious affiliation, are there resources available to LGBT students? Do LGBT individuals feel comfortable on campus? I know the main university has resources available, but wasn't sure about the medical school.

This is a great question. I'm not sure, but if you interview here you will be able to connect with current students and/or ask your interviewer something specifically. I would just say that the school is very welcoming & warm- the religious affiliation is not pushed on students at all. Some students are religious, but many aren't. The common theme is service, care, and equality for all people.

There are many research opportunities at SLU and also at WashU down the road. Most of the students that I met on my interview day did research in the summer after M1 and received funding/grants to do so. Are you looking for something more specifically? I think it's more important to know what your goal in research would be (academic medicine, competitive specialty, strong personal interest) than to look for an extra-something to simply add to your medical degree. The opportunities are there for all students, even if there isn't a formal program or track for it at SLU.
Thank you for the wise response!

Last edited:
This is a great question. I'm not sure, but if you interview here you will be able to connect with current students and/or ask your interviewer something specifically. I would just say that the school is very welcoming & warm- the religious affiliation is not pushed on students at all. Some students are religious, but many aren't. The common theme is service, care, and equality for all people.

Thanks, I appreciate your honesty! I'm hoping to be able to interview there and see what it's like for myself, but it's nice to know even for a religiously-affiliated institute, a lot of non-religious students go

Thanks, I appreciate your honesty! I'm hoping to be able to interview there and see what it's like for myself, but it's nice to know even for a religiously-affiliated institute, a lot of non-religious students go

np :) feel free to ask anything else. This school's religious affiliation sets some of the values of the school, but is essential "optional" as to whether your want it to be a part of your experience. It's different than a school like Loma Linda where religion takes a more fore-front role in their education. I think a school like Loyola even asks some religious questions in secondaries/interviews, whereas SLU does not.

Thank you for the wise response! I am interested in academic medicine, so was looking for formal programs available at SLU to demonstrate how their institution would support my goals, but it is true that a formal track is unnecessary, if the opportunities for research exist otherwise

If you're serious about research/academic medicine I would aim for the top20 research schools and/or apply MD/PhD. Not that SLU doesn't offer a route to academic med, but the notable research-heavy schools would be worth also looking into. St. Louis offers opportunities at both SLU and WashU though so it's a great option as well!

np :) feel free to ask anything else. This school's religious affiliation sets some of the values of the school, but is essential "optional" as to whether your want it to be a part of your experience. It's different than a school like Loma Linda where religion takes a more fore-front role in their education. I think a school like Loyola even asks some religious questions in secondaries/interviews, whereas SLU does not.

Interestingly, I was able to get in contact with the leader of an LGBT student organization at Loyola and she was telling me how much she loves it at Loyola and whatnot. So I was mainly just trying to get an idea for SLU and how religiously in-your-face it is (can't think of a better phrase right now), but it certainly sounds like that's not the case, so I feel much better about SLU than I did before talking to you.

Reactions: 2 users
Commenting to get on this thread.
Secondary submitted 7/10. LizzyM 63-65.

Good luck to everyone else! Hope we hear back with II's soon.