2017-2018 Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this school making federal loans available to students, or is it like the new California one that requires private loans
It says on the financial aid page that students who submit the FAFSA will have access to federal loans such as Direct and direct PLUS provided by the DOE. Not sure if thats complete confirmation but it definitely seems like federal loans will be available

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
It says on the financial aid page that students who submit the FAFSA will have access to federal loans such as Direct and direct PLUS provided by the DOE. Not sure if thats complete confirmation but it definitely seems like federal loans will be available

That's good news then

Submitted primary. When do you think they'll send out notices for II?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted primary. When do you think they'll send out notices for II?

No clue but definitely very soon, its gonna be a struggle to interview people for matriculation later this year as they have like a little more than 3 months

I also threw in my primary! Praying for good news.

Anyone also got an email from AAMC saying: "You have designated medical schools that do not have any letters assigned to them." -- even though I do see the three letters I designated under the medical school/LOR sections?
Nope! Make sure you resubmitted your application. You have to check all those boxes and then it has assigned them officially.

As an OOS, you think it'll be of any help to send a letter of interest this early for why I'd wanna go over other schools I interviewed at and that I have a bunch of friends and family in the area?

As an OOS, you think it'll be of any help to send a letter of interest this early for why I'd wanna go over other schools I interviewed at and that I have a bunch of friends and family in the area?

Everyone has friends in NYC ;)

Reactions: 6 users
in state (I know SHU is private but who knows if there is any in state pref), threw my primary in as well. here's to seeing what happens! :)

Does it show anywhere the breakdown of the curriculum schedule? Idk if its just me but it seems like they won't be doing summer break after M1 year? Or maybe Im missing something

Does it show anywhere the breakdown of the curriculum schedule? Idk if its just me but it seems like they won't be doing summer break after M1 year? Or maybe Im missing something
From what I can see its 16 continuous months. Hard to go by the M1-M4 schedule as they are 3+1
I would presume a minor break between each block

As a nontrad, i love it

Yeah, I'm not sure. It doesn't seem like it since there's little time to waste since you can enter residency (or whatever you want to do) instead of the fourth year of medical school.

Yeah, I'm not sure. It doesn't seem like it since there's little time to waste since you can enter residency (or whatever you want to do) instead of the fourth year of medical school.
From what I can see its 16 continuous months. Hard to go by the M1-M4 schedule as they are 3+1
I would presume a minor break between each block

As a nontrad, i love it

I found it. http://www.shu.edu/medicine/student-affairs/upload/School-of-Medicine-Academic-Calendar.pdf

2 weeks of summer vacation. M3 year you dont get a winter vacation cuz its built into STEP prep time.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Can anyone give any insight on what this school’s general reputation is and/or what they’re known for?

Jeez if orientation is early July theyre going to really have to hustle through the application process

Reactions: 2 users
Found this from the academic handbook:
Applications will be available beginning February 18th, 2018 and must be submitted no later than May 1st, 2018 for enrollment in our inaugural class. Students are selected and notified of their acceptance on a rolling admissions basis beginning April 10th, 2018; therefore, early application is advantageous.
With application just opening up, I'm not sure if this timeline shifts

Wow thank you for this!
My friend is a residency director and said the 4th year research time is very good if you want to match into competitive fields because most require a research year to be taken anyways which would be a year off of a regular program. Also 1 less year of debt

Has this been confirmed from the school?
Not by a live person - I was going from the page of the website with a checklist for what constitutes a Completed Application. As @buckoh24 points out, there is mention of a secondary on a different page. I (and no doubt others) have an email in to the school asking whether or not there's a secondary, and will post what I hear back.

This means we would need to complete the FAFSA prior to matriculating to get the discount, correct? Not before applying.
I would assume so, but if you check directly with the school, I'd be curious to hear it from the horse's mouth. I was going off of their website.

If I recall correctly, I saw mention of federal unsubsidized loans, meaning that the student will pay the interest that accrues before payback starts. Still can be better than private loans though, if the interest rates are lower and/or fixed. If you google for "federal loans vs. private loans" you should get to a page sponsored by the feds with a summary chart of the differences between fed and private loans. My understanding is that students aren't eligible for federal subsidized loans until the school is two years from this initial accreditation milestone.

Joining the party. I really hope this pans out for me! I would love to head to the east coast.

I also hope that only 55 of us apply and we all get in, so keep it a secret hahahaha!

Reactions: 14 users
After going through the academic handbook I have to say the entire curriculum is so well thought out. Especially intrigued by the human dimension element.

Hello,

Can anyone give any insight on what this school’s general reputation is and/or what they’re known for?

It is less about the school because Seton Hall is just an average institution. The real meat here is the hospital affiliation.

It is less about the school because Seton Hall is just an average institution. The real meat here is the hospital affiliation.

yea but the hospital is already affiliated with 2 other medical schools. Any concern with...crowding?

yea but the hospital is already affiliated with 2 other medical schools. Any concern with...crowding?
It's THEIR medical school. I think it will probably be more of a problem for those other schools.

Reactions: 4 users
After going through the academic handbook I have to say the entire curriculum is so well thought out. Especially intrigued by the human dimension element.
I feel like the curriculum is similar to Duke with the 3 years+1 research year (or whatever you wanna do) but also similar to the GT (another religious school) where they really focus on the humanistic side of medicine and how you see patients evolve overtime and the importance of a meaningful patient provider relationship. I really like how they are integrating both and giving people freedom to choose their own path for 4th year.

Does anyone have any insight into the pros/cons of the 3 + 1 curriculum? I hadn't heard of it before today, but it seems really interesting. I only wonder if a draw back will be less time for elective rotations? Also I see that step 1 is taken after the the core clinical rotations, is this a new trend as well?

Joining the party. I really hope this pans out for me! I would love to head to the east coast.

I also hope that only 55 of us apply and we all get in, so keep it a secret hahahaha!

How many applications do you think they will receive?

If I had to guess I would say between 1500-2000.

Last edited:

Hard to say -- Nova had 2,000 primary and 1,300 secondary apps and they also opened mid cycle (in November)

Does anyone have any insight into the pros/cons of the 3 + 1 curriculum? I hadn't heard of it before today, but it seems really interesting. I only wonder if a draw back will be less time for elective rotations? Also I see that step 1 is taken after the the core clinical rotations, is this a new trend as well?
Duke does something similar. 1 year pre clinical, 1 year clinical, 1 year research, 1 year advanced clinical. They also do STEP after clinical and it seems like students like it cuz they get hands on and visual examples of the diseases which can help with retention during dedicated. It sounds weird cuz STEP 1 is mostly preclinical and you end up taking STEP 2 about 3 months after with setons schedule.

If I recall correctly, I saw mention of federal unsubsidized loans, meaning that the student will pay the interest that accrues before payback starts. Still can be better than private loans though, if the interest rates are lower and/or fixed. If you google for "federal loans vs. private loans" you should get to a page sponsored by the feds with a summary chart of the differences between fed and private loans. My understanding is that students aren't eligible for federal subsidized loans until the school is two years from this initial accreditation milestone.
Office of Financial Aid - Seton Hall University
If you scroll through this page you can see that students are eligible for direct subsidized loans based on need as determined by the fafsa, appears to be the same process as any other medical school I’ve applied to... a lot of good info on the office of financial aid page

I guess I'm trying to gauge how well the implementation of this program will go, especially with a nontraditional curriculum. I realize that every new program and its inaugural class will have its bumps to navigate but I'm comparing this Nova where, since I'm from Florida I'm familiar with it having many solid professional programs in place including DO, I feel that even if there are some issues there is a very solid foundation in place already.

Yeah, I think they're around 16 hospitals total.

Sure, but that just tells me I will be relocating each month for rotation sites.

I am definitely interested in the school, but it seems to me like people are lauding the main hospital as if the students will actually get to rotate there.

Sure, but that just tells me I will be relocating each month for rotation sites.

I am definitely interested in the school, but it seems to me like people are lauding the main hospital as if the students will actually get to rotate there.
Who is to say they won't?

Who is to say they won't?

There's something to be said for choice (if there is a choice). You may (Big may because I don't know anything about this school) be able to select from a variety of rotations in the network, allowing you to get the larger tertiary care vibe from the main hospital with lots of residents and other students, or go to one of the smaller community locations. Obviously working with the home residency program and attendings is important and great, but having the more 1:1 learning experiences with attendings at smaller places would be great too (first assisting on surgeries and procedures).

I obviously don't know if this is the case here, but having options never really hurts. Just trying to toss out upsides of having a large network.

I'd say the same. If there really is no secondary, then toward the higher end.

Office of Financial Aid - Seton Hall University
If you scroll through this page you can see that students are eligible for direct subsidized loans based on need as determined by the fafsa, appears to be the same process as any other medical school I’ve applied to... a lot of good info on the office of financial aid page
That page appears to be for the university in general. I'm pretty sure that med students are not eligable for subsidized loans, though, until the school is accredited, as with CUSM, Nova, etc., thus the two-year wait at new schools.

That page appears to be for the university in general. I'm pretty sure that med students are not eligable for subsidized loans, though, until the school is accredited, as with CUSM, Nova, etc., thus the two-year wait at new schools.
Fair point. I guess we’ll learn more if any of us get an interview maybe that person can post the financial aid info

Was today the first day of applications? They got preliminary LCME accreditation a month ago, so why all the buzz about it right now?

Has anyone tried to send an update at all? It's been a long time since I filled out the primary application, haha. I'm going to plan on emailing admissions tomorrow morning to ask if they'll accept updates/if there's a secondary. I was just curious if anyone else had already asked admissions about it.

Reactions: 6 users
Was today the first day of applications? They got preliminary LCME accreditation a month ago, so why all the buzz about it right now?
The application recently opened.

Has anyone tried to send an update at all? It's been a long time since I filled out the primary application, haha. I'm going to plan on emailing admissions tomorrow morning to ask if they'll accept updates/if there's a secondary. I was just curious if anyone else had already asked admissions about it.
Yep, I've emailed asking for clarification on the secondary, and someone else on this thread emailed about updates. You could scoop us both if you were willing to call them. :)

Yep, I've emailed asking for clarification on the secondary, and someone else on this thread emailed about updates. You could scoop us both if you were willing to call them. :)

They had a snow day today; but I think the adcom will have to deal with an even worse storm tomorrow haha

Reactions: 5 users
I wish they had like an automatic "you are completed" form haha it makes me nervous.

Excellent, I figured someone would have emailed them already. If they haven't replied to anyone by early afternoon tomorrow, I can take one for the team and call them, haha.