2020-2021 Seton Hall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Hackensack-Meridian School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

So I just realized on their website it says they require a letter from a healthcare professional? Did I just waste a primary here? I submitted a committee letter with 3 additional individual letters.

So I just realized on their website it says they require a letter from a healthcare professional? Did I just waste a primary here? I submitted a committee letter with 3 additional individual letters.
I would email them. I didn't have one required letter for a couple schools and emailed them and either told me it was fine, that I needed to fill out a waiver, or that I basically wasted a primary lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
this secondary didn't come out until early/mid september last year. you got like 2 months.

Welp it's nice to know I have two months to write an essay haha but watch me write it the day I get it. Procrastination at its finest

Reactions: 5 users
is there any abbreviation for the school name for when I say it in my secondary? Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall University is a little too long for my taste.

Reactions: 1 users
is there any abbreviation for the school name for when I say it in my secondary? Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall University is a little too long for my taste.

I would think HMSOM? Did u already get the secondary?

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if they switch up prompts year to year? For some reason this school's older prompts are hard to find. I saw last years' on the thread

Anyone know if they switch up prompts year to year? For some reason this school's older prompts are hard to find. I saw last years' on the thread
They're a new school so there's not a lot of data to go off on in regards to whether or not they switch up prompts. Furthermore, they just separated from Seton Hall so we may see a shift in focus

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone think that because of the separation that they will be heavily delayed? I’m thinking about applying but dunno if it’s worth it with a new school/system.

Does anyone think that because of the separation that they will be heavily delayed? I’m thinking about applying but dunno if it’s worth it with a new school/system.

Depends on your situation. If you see yourself living and training in the area, go for it. If you have plenty of other options for MD schools, then don't. From what I can tell, the school is aiming for a mid to high-mid classification, taking in people with 512+ MCATs

Hoping they switch up the prompts from previous years !

Also applying this cycle, still waiting on secondary. Good luck to everyone

Here are the prompts, first three are 500 words max

1) Why are you interested in attending the Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine ?

2) Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine values social justice and diversity in all its forms. Describe a circumstance where you sought to learn about a culture, group or idea different than your own and how that impacted you.

3) Describe your experience with the field of medicine (or a related field) that has prepared you for advanced study in this area. Specifically, how have your life experiences prepared you to pursue a degree in medicine, including: coursework, clinical work, experiences in overcoming adversity, work opportunity, volunteer activities, and/or research experiences?

4) If you are a re-applicant, please indicate any updates since your previous application (optional)

Reactions: 6 users

1) Why are you interested in attending the Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine ?

2) Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine values social justice and diversity in all its forms. Describe a circumstance where you sought to learn about a culture, group or idea different than your own and how that impacted you.

3) Describe your experience with the field of medicine (or a related field) that has prepared you for advanced study in this area. Specifically, how have your life experiences prepared you to pursue a degree in medicine, including: coursework, clinical work, experiences in overcoming adversity, work opportunity, volunteer activities, and/or research experiences?

4) If you are a re-applicant, please indicate any updates since your previous application (optional)
Are these the same prompts as last year? I'm not a fan of the 3rd prompt haha, kind of a strange question that sounds pretty similar to a personal statement

Also got a secondary.... just as I was almost done with all my secondaries and hoping to have a week off! Oh well. I'll be done for real now soon!

For the second prompt, do you guys think it's okay to talk about a study abroad trip to a European country as my experience seeking out to learn about a different culture? This would be the most genuine answer for me, but I'm not sure if it would be a good way to go about this because I feel like they're looking for something relevant to your experience with vulnerable groups or diversity in the US at least. Does it come across tone deaf to write about visiting a European country and learning about the culture there?

For the second prompt, do you guys think it's okay to talk about a study abroad trip to a European country as my experience seeking out to learn about a different culture? This would be the most genuine answer for me, but I'm not sure if it would be a good way to go about this because I feel like they're looking for something relevant to your experience with vulnerable groups or diversity in the US at least. Does it come across tone deaf to write about visiting a European country and learning about the culture there?
Following....

Also got a secondary.... just as I was almost done with all my secondaries and hoping to have a week off! Oh well. I'll be done for real now soon!

Same. I was lowkey looking forward to a few days of no secondaries lol

Geez seems like they couldn’t make up their mind for what they wanted from us on question 3 :rofl:

Reactions: 4 users
secondary received! I'm happy that essay 2 is similar to prompts from UPITT/UMIAMI and I don't need to really change much :)

I am so lost with prompt 3. Literally do they want us to list everything? feel pretty burnt out because this is secondary number 42.

So from my understanding this is a typical "talk about experiences that have made you more sensitive to other cultures/people" prompt. I talked about volunteering with a homeless community.

Your idea could work, I would just be very very careful in your wording/atriculation for the reasons you mentioned. I wouldn't necessarily say "tone deaf" but it may rub some people the wrong way. If you are going to stick with his prompt, find a way to tie it back to medicine in the end.

Curious what other think.

Anyone else having trouble finding where to upload their picture?

" Your application will not be considered complete until all questions are answered and your picture is uploaded . "

Anyone know where to upload their picture? I'm not seeing any other link other than the one that opens up to the application

" Your application will not be considered complete until all questions are answered and your picture is uploaded . "

Anyone know where to upload their picture? I'm not seeing any other link other than the one that opens up to the application
Anyone else having trouble finding where to upload their picture?

So I submitted my application and emailed them asking what to do with regards to uploading the photo. Waiting on a response. Will update once I have one.

Hi everyone.

For question 1 about why are you interested in attending Seton Hall, I'm trying to find somewhere on their website that lists some of the service opportunities and student interest groups I would like to be involved with, but I can't seem to find the link.

Does anyone have the link to this? How are you guys approaching this question?

For everyone that submitted their secondary: It says it won’t be complete until I upload a photo. I didn’t find a tool to do that but it said my application is complete when I submitted - I’m hoping that I’m not the only one.

Hi everyone.

For question 1 about why are you interested in attending Seton Hall, I'm trying to find somewhere on their website that lists some of the service opportunities and student interest groups I would like to be involved with, but I can't seem to find the link.

Does anyone have the link to this? How are you guys approaching this question?

If you Type in seton hall medical school community involvement, something should come up. They had a list of a whole bunch of organizations.