2017-2018 Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Excellent, I figured someone would have emailed them already. If they haven't replied to anyone by early afternoon tomorrow, I can take one for the team and call them, haha.
You da best.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted my AMCAS--just commenting to keep up with updates :)

So with 1500-2000 apps and 55 seats, around how many people could expect to be accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
So with 1500-2000 apps and 55 seats, around how many people could expect to be accepted?
Based on what I've read for the schools I applied to this year, I think most established mid-tier schools accept 2x the number of seats, and new schools go more like 3x (= 1x accepted outright plus a 2x waiting list). Interview multiples seems to vary a lot. Sooooooo - maybe 55 acceptances, another 55-110 waiting list, and 300 interviews? If I had to place a bet on it. Hopefully we'll know more as soon as those SDN IIs start rolling in here.

Reactions: 3 users
Submitted. Here we go! Good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 1 user
Based on what I've read for the schools I applied to this year, I think most established mid-tier schools accept 2x the number of seats, and new schools go more like 3x (= 1x accepted outright plus a 2x waiting list). Interview multiples seems to vary a lot. Sooooooo - maybe 55 acceptances, another 55-110 waiting list, and 300 interviews? If I had to place a bet on it. Hopefully we'll know more as soon as those SDN IIs start rolling in here.

My money is on you, jazzy! Seton Hall for the win!

just applied last night on amcas!

i had a couple of questions :

does anyone know the earliest date that someone could have submitted a primary to this school?

what do you think the average mcat and gpa will be?

has anyone who submitted a primary heard back from them yet about a secondary or interview invite?

Thanks!

Last edited:
just applied last night on amcas?

does anyone know the earliest date that someone could have submitted a primary to this school?

what do you think the average mcat and gpa will be?

has anyone who submitted a primary heard back from them yet about a secondary or interview invite?

1. Late Tuesday night it appears
2. No one can know at this point, depends on the applicant pool. My guess would be the standard 512, 3.7+.
3. It looks like there is no secondary, no one has received an II on SDN yet.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt we will hear back this week.

Next week they have Thursday and Friday off and the following Monday.

Maybe some people will hear back next week? But most likely the first week of April

1. Late Tuesday night it appears
2. No one can know at this point, depends on the applicant pool. My guess would be the standard 510, 3.7+.
3. It looks like there is no secondary, no one has received an II on SDN yet.

Probably 512+, 3.7+ given strength of rotations and location. Kaiser P next year will probably be a 515+, 3.8+ LOL

MSAR (which was updated in like the last 24 hours) now includes this school. It says that interview invitation will be sent beginning in March 2018. Kinda doubt that, but either way they can't afford to take too much time.

Last edited:
hopefully there is a secondary or formal way to update them

I personally think they will be lower because it seems to be a super mission-focused school. Again, I can be wrong, but thats my guess

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's a private school though, and every new med school wants a strong first class.

The only reason I knew about this school opening was because I frequent SDN. I feel because of this fact, less people are going to apply simply due to being out of the loop. Not to mention that the cycle is almost over. Just my personal opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I wonder what other ways are they advertising their school to premeds.

Just submitted the primary!

So I realized MSAR doesn't have much on this school, but for those of you who are good at website sleuthing, did you guys find out any of the answers to the following questions.

1) Grading system - Is it P/F or something else
2) Are classes mandatory?
3) Is it a systems based or traditional curriculum?

So I realized MSAR doesn't have much on this school, but for those of you who are good at website sleuthing, did you guys find out any of the answers to the following questions.

Dont know about the first 2 but its system based. I feel like they will make it P/F and optional. They seem to be a progressive school and trying to push towards a more customizable medical experience.

Did they reply to anyone’s emails?
I haven't heard back from my email to them yesterday (3/21), asking for clarification on the secondary. I promise to post as soon as I hear from them.

Reactions: 6 users
Dont know about the first 2 but its system based. I feel like they will make it P/F and optional. They seem to be a progressive school and trying to push towards a more customizable medical experience.
That's what I thought too but I couldn't find it anywhere

msar says the program is supposed to start in july 2019- does anyone know what in the world that means?

I haven't heard back from my email to them yesterday (3/21), asking for clarification on the secondary. I promise to post as soon as I hear from them.
Thanks for taking one for the team. Not sure how accurate this is, but the MSAR says that there is a secondary app and fee so it may be like Rochester where you only fill it out if you an II

Thanks for taking one for the team. Not sure how accurate this is, but the MSAR says that there is a secondary app and fee so it may be like Rochester where you only fill it out if you an II
Ah, yes - that could be it.
Or, maybe no secondary for this year, and the MSAR listing is for 2019 onward?
Hopefully we will have a concrete answer soon!

msar says the program is supposed to start in july 2019- does anyone know what in the world that means?
I'm guessing that the MSAR listing is focused on next year's cycle: secondary, larger class size...
I broke down and tried to reach them by phone, and got a recorded message about applying to start in July 2018, so I think we're still on for this cycle. :)

Don’t a lot of private schools such as Hofstra and the ones in Texas just mainly prefer in state?
Texas schools do, for sure, and some other privates give some instate preference. Seton does include "serving New Jersey" in its mission statement, so I suspect they'll show some instate or maybe regional preference.

The information you seek lies within the Student Guide. Behold... http://www.shu.edu/medicine/student-affairs/upload/Academic-Bulletin-and-Student-Guide.pdf

#1 But I'll save you some time, It's P/F:

"Each of the summative components of the final course grade are evaluated using a specific rubric. Grades of “Meets Expectations,” “Meets Expectations with Recommendations,” or “Does Not Meet Expectations” are assigned for each component of the final course grade. Students must either “Meet Expectations” or “Meet Expectations with Recommendations” in all summative components to receive a grade of “pass” for the course. The final grade for each course in Phase 1 is either “pass” or “fail.”"

#3 And a detailed overview of the curriculum is in the guide. Page 57 and 64 have little graphics for it. (systems based)

#2 As far as mandatory classes:

"In the case of an emergent health care need or unanticipated emergency involving immediate family members, absences will be excused."

"Students who either fail to report absences or have two unexcused absences in a single course or have three unexcused absences in Phase 1 must meet with the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs and Wellbeing to discuss the SOM's expectations of attendance and punctuality, and to develop an action plan as appropriate."

So I'm leaning towards mandatory classes.

Reactions: 3 users
"Grading: Each of the summative components of the final course grade are evaluated using a specific rubric. Grades of “Meets Expectations,” “Meets Expectations with Recommendations,” or “Does Not Meet Expectations” are assigned for each component of the final course grade. Students must either “Meet Expectations” or “Meet Expectations with Recommendations” in all summative components to receive a grade of “pass” for the course. The final grade for each course in Phase 1 is either “pass” or “fail.”"

So looks like P/F for pre clinical and H/HP/P/F for clinical. With pre clinical having little modules that you have to pass to pass the class overall. Didnt see anything about lecture attendance being optional

The information you seek lies within the Student Guide. Behold... http://www.shu.edu/medicine/student-affairs/upload/Academic-Bulletin-and-Student-Guide.pdf

#1 But I'll save you some time, It's P/F:

"Each of the summative components of the final course grade are evaluated using a specific rubric. Grades of “Meets Expectations,” “Meets Expectations with Recommendations,” or “Does Not Meet Expectations” are assigned for each component of the final course grade. Students must either “Meet Expectations” or “Meet Expectations with Recommendations” in all summative components to receive a grade of “pass” for the course. The final grade for each course in Phase 1 is either “pass” or “fail.”"

#3 And a detailed overview of the curriculum is in the guide. Page 57 and 64 have little graphics for it. (systems based)

#2 As far as mandatory classes:

"In the case of an emergent health care need or unanticipated emergency involving immediate family members, absences will be excused."

"Students who either fail to report absences or have two unexcused absences in a single course or have three unexcused absences in Phase 1 must meet with the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs and Wellbeing to discuss the SOM's expectations of attendance and punctuality, and to develop an action plan as appropriate."

So I'm leaning towards mandatory classes.

Yup. There's no way it's not.

Other things to note for those that don't want to read through this:
1.They don't have recorded lectures so people most likely have to attend.
2.We also have to be drug tested as part of being admitted.
3.I also think we will be rotating all around the state since they mention having to provide your own transportation for clinical
4. They use PBL
5. There's MC tests every week and an essay based test every 2 weeks
6. There's 2 clinical OSCE tests (high stakes and moderate stakes) you have to pass in each of the first 2 phases to go onto the next phase
7. They use NBME shelf exams after each rotation
8. "Students will have no fewer than three, and no more than four half days of unscheduled time during each week of Phase 1 of the curriculum." which I guess means there aren't classes everyday
9.You take Step 2 ~10 weeks after Step 1
10.Phase 2 is Honors, High Pass, Pass, and Fail graded

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Personally, I love the P/F format and I actually prefer mandatory attendance. I'm a definite class goer.

Come on Seton Hall!

Yup. There's no way it's not. They don't have recorded lectures either so people have to attend. We also have to be drug tested as part of being admitted. I also think we will be rotating all around the state
Does it say no recorded lectures? I didnt see that

Its interesting that they diverged from this: "The Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall University will not participate in the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) sponsored by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) for its inaugural class of students."

Does it say no recorded lectures? I didnt see that
Ya. They don't record lectures but apparently we can record our own if we get permission first

As a general rule, due to the active methodologies utilized at the SOM, educational sessions are not audio or videotaped. In some very specific circumstances, sessions may be recorded and released to students. Students are permitted to audio and/or video record educational sessions at the SOM under the following conditions:
• Recordings are used strictly for personal use and are not shared with others
• Permission is obtained from the faculty member leading the educational session before the recording occurs
• Recordings are not distributed or posted on any media site unless written consent is obtained from the faculty members involved.