2017-2018 Stony Brook University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today! Complete mid-Oct, LizzyM 75, IS. Bless schools that interview late into the cycle :bow:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
II this morning. Complete around 08/20 ish.

Rejected! Only SUNY to not offer me an II, oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected, was complete in July. IS.

Rejected, IS, complete in July. Honestly was surprised at how nice of an email it was.

7th week of waiting checking in:bang: Any one heard back recently post-II??

7th week of waiting checking in:bang: Any one heard back recently post-II??

Accepted 2 hrs ago!!!!! Over the moon. Flipping first secondary I submitted. Interviewed week of 01/22.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted 2 hrs ago!!!!! Over the moon. Flipping first secondary I submitted. Interviewed week of 01/22.
Checked your post history and it’s clear you’ve had an amazing cycle. All your interviews were so late though, when did you submit your primary and what’s your LizzyM if you don’t mind me asking?

Accepted 2/23! Interviewed 2/9

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if becoming a NY State resident to get in-state tuition would make it harder to match back in CA?

Withdrew my acceptance, good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted 9/14
Interviewed 2/8
Waitlisted today, 3/8

Waitlisted today as well. Anyone know what the waitlist movement is like?
I accepted my WL offer today and they replied back to me saying that last year, 30% of matriculants were from the waitlist although wl mvmt doesn't start til late spring

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

I accepted my WL offer today and they replied back to me saying that last year, 30% of matriculants were from the waitlist although wl mvmt doesn't start til late spring

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile
I got the same email today.
Hopefully we make the cut!

Anyone know how often pre-clinical exams are, what the criteria are for election into AOA, and what Stony Brook's best departments are?

So in regards to preclinical exams, I loved having our curriculum. The final for every unit, except for anatomy, were full NBME exams which are old USMLE step 1 questions. In my opinion this was essential because we did NOT waste time learning useless details that were not relevant to the USMLE. When it came down to studying for the USMLE, my whole class just had to review what they had previously learned because we basically used board-study materials during the units.

One of the cons of Stony Brook is that although we match extremely well, our home residency programs are not nearly as good as our medical school. Essentially, most people in Stony Brook hope to not stay for residency because we have better options coming out. So as far as best departments, none are really outstanding, but things might change with the building of the MART/cancer research building and children's hospital.

I was elected to AOA and to be elected you have to be part of the top quartile of the class. After that, they narrow down the list to 16% total by taking into account research, leadership, and if you have any beef with the administration (I know 3-4 people who were eligible but did not get AOA because they were not liked with the administration).
Thanks for being so thorough! Sorry if this is a dumb question but do they only take into account leadership experiences/research performed during medical school for the AOA or do they also factor in undergrad/post-bac stuff? Also what was your class schedule like during M1?

Did Stony Brook send out rejections all together or rolling? Interviewed in early January and no decision.....idk what to expect....

Did Stony Brook send out rejections all together or rolling? Interviewed in early January and no decision.....idk what to expect....
Aren't we supposed to hear back between 6-8 weeks? I will get in touch with them if I hadn't heard back by week 8.

Aren't we supposed to hear back between 6-8 weeks? I will get in touch with them if I hadn't heard back by week 8.
Contacted them on Monday and was told my application was still under review:whistle:

Do you know what percentage of people receive honors in 3rd year?

Is there going to be a facebook group for accepted students soon?

has anyone heard back from the week of Feb 26-Mar 2 interviews yet? I interviewed that week and have not heard back...

Anyone know how the historic waitlist movement is here? Thanks.

Accepted! Interviewed 2nd week of March.

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!!!! Interviewed 1st week of February! My FIRST acceptance ever! Never thought I would get into a U.S. medical school as an international student

Reactions: 11 users
Just accepted! Interviewed on 3/6, also my first acceptance!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!!!! My first acceptance.. Finally stopped crying long enough to come here and post :laugh: (Interviewed March 6, LM 73ish OOS)
Everyone else still waiting for their first, keep the hope alive! Fingers crossed for you all

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted!!!! Interviewed 1st week of February! My FIRST acceptance ever! Never thought I would get into a U.S. medical school as an international student

Fellow international student matriculating here! Excited to get to know ya!

Anyone who interviewed in Feb and March not hear back yet? I wonder if this means not so good news for us...

Anyone who interviewed in Feb and March not hear back yet? I wonder if this means not so good news for us...
Interviewed late feb. No response. Last year, more acceptances went out in early april. So maybe its not over yet.

Is anybody bringing their families or significant other to second look?

There were only 6 of us but is anyone here from the 3/9 interview day here/ heard back?

Like this if you’re eagerly awaiting response from a 3YMD interview :)

Man the financial aid office/person here is the most unhelpful out of all the schools I've talked to. Pretty much told me on the phone that she has no idea whether I could declare for NYS residency during my 1st year and that I should ask someone else :lame: