2017-2018 Stony Brook University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed here today! Really liked the students and faculty 🙂

Not sure if this has been asked, but does one interview weigh more heavily than the other? My student one was “meh” and my faculty one was much better
 
Interviewed here today! Really liked the students and faculty 🙂

Not sure if this has been asked, but does one interview weigh more heavily than the other? My student one was “meh” and my faculty one was much better
I was told during my interview they value the input from their student interviewers the same as they're faculty.
 
Has everyone's status always said "under consideration" once they were complete? Just curious because I only just realized I could check my status online. Thanks!
 
Interviewed here today! Really liked the students and faculty 🙂

Not sure if this has been asked, but does one interview weigh more heavily than the other? My student one was “meh” and my faculty one was much better
I hope your interview went really well! I'm interviewing here next week (getting so nervous). Do you know if it's closed or open file? Also, do they throw you a bunch of hard ethical questions? Thanks!
 
I hope your interview went really well! I'm interviewing here next week (getting so nervous). Do you know if it's closed or open file? Also, do they throw you a bunch of hard ethical questions? Thanks!
When I interviewed here waay back in the days (by that I mean 2 years ago), both interviews were open file ! Don't be nervous, you'll be fine ! 🙂
 
I hope your interview went really well! I'm interviewing here next week (getting so nervous). Do you know if it's closed or open file? Also, do they throw you a bunch of hard ethical questions? Thanks!

Don’t be nervous—my nerves are definitely what tripped me up on the student interview!! (easier said than done, I know...)

It was very conversational, but since I was nervous, I talked too quickly and had a hard time organizing my thoughts logically. By the second interview, I was more relaxed and able to really show myself. I had exactly zero ethical dilemmas posed to me—it was all the usual “why medicine”, “strength/weakness”, “tell me about your research” type things.

Open file, and they will ask specific on your EC activities and research, so practice talking about those. Be ready with some interesting/memorable stories from your clinical work or volunteering, and of course be ready to ask specific questions of the interviewer at the end.

Good luck! Fingers crossed you do better than I did :xf:

Edit: Honestly don’t waste your time studying up on ethical dilemmas. Just practice talking about yourself and your experiences confidently.
 
I hope your interview went really well! I'm interviewing here next week (getting so nervous). Do you know if it's closed or open file? Also, do they throw you a bunch of hard ethical questions? Thanks!

I agree with @CorneaEyePun that you shouldn't be stressing, but I did get thrown a few curveballs, including one ethical dilemma that I absolutely stuttered like a fool over lol. But instead of trying to study all the ethical dilemmas out there, I would say practice your reaction to a question that surprises you, and I would encourage honest answers instead of what you might think they want to hear. Remember that they're not looking for the perfect answer so much as how you react under "pressure," and they want someone with their own opinions as long as there's solid backing for it. (Got accepted here, if that helps lol).

Good luck! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got my II invite today! Submitted 9/31. I'm beyond excited. From looking at this thread it seems like the interview environment is laid back and it's luck of the draw regarding who/when you get the interview time? Any pointers?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Link? I don't think they ever mentioned that to us at the interview.
They sent an e-mail to accepted students:
"3YMD is a separate program that selects a few students who are accepted into the School of Medicine’s four-year MD program. Selected students enter into a pipeline program that links them with the GME (Graduate Medical Education) program of their choice within the Stony Brook School of Medicine. 3YMD candidates are required to take courses before general classes begin and have to also commit to taking academic credits within their chosen GME program during the first summer of the Phase I curriculum. This allows candidates to meet the minimum requirements for an MD degree as designated by the LCME in three years. This program is an attractive option for entering medical students who are certain about their choice of career specialty."
 
Curious (and EXCITED) about my upcoming interview.
From previous threads, I read there are 2 interviews in the day (student & Prof/Doc), is that the case this year?
And typically how long are each?

Thanks!
 
Curious (and EXCITED) about my upcoming interview.
From previous threads, I read there are 2 interviews in the day (student & Prof/Doc), is that the case this year?
And typically how long are each?

Thanks!
You could also get 2 faculty interviews, depends on your luck. Each could go anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes. Good luck !
 
Curious (and EXCITED) about my upcoming interview.
From previous threads, I read there are 2 interviews in the day (student & Prof/Doc), is that the case this year?
And typically how long are each?

Thanks!

Congrats on the interview! Best of luck.
Both of my interviewers were MD/faculty, and both went for a full hour! I think it really depends on who your interviewer is. One of mine was really SBU focused ("Do you have any questions or concerns about the program here at SBU or life on LI that I can answer for you?") and the other was really focused on preparedness for life in medicine.
It was a super super pleasant day - very impressed with SBUs genuine friendliness.
Good luck!
 
Congrats on the interview! Best of luck.
Both of my interviewers were MD/faculty, and both went for a full hour! I think it really depends on who your interviewer is. One of mine was really SBU focused ("Do you have any questions or concerns about the program here at SBU or life on LI that I can answer for you?") and the other was really focused on preparedness for life in medicine.
It was a super super pleasant day - very impressed with SBUs genuine friendliness.
Good luck!
Awesome! Thanks for all the insight!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ahhhh congrats, that's awesome!! Mind me asking when you were complete?
I got a complete email from SB one month after I submitted... I wonder where they're at with applications now.

Thank you!!! I was complete 09/14 (that's when I got the email, also about a month after submission for me). I hope you hear back from them soon!
 
@ people who have interviewed - what time does the interview day start? The email just says when it ends, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth staying at a hotel the night before (it's about a 3hr train ride for me)
 
@ people who have interviewed - what time does the interview day start? The email just says when it ends, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth staying at a hotel the night before (it's about a 3hr train ride for me)
Depends on what interview time you get. I didn’t have to be there until 1045 while I know other interviewers had to be there at 9.