2017-2018 SUNY - Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I just heard back from Upstate and they said they reached a little beyond my spot, and to contact thrm again in mid july. Anyone else have a similar estimate/acceptance?
I don't think it means much because they told the same thing to pretty much everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
When did people receive their financial aid packages? I’m accepted off the HPA but wanted to see my financial aid package before dropping my current acceptance.

When did people receive their financial aid packages? I’m accepted off the HPA but wanted to see my financial aid package before dropping my current acceptance.
Not sure exactly when people teceive their packages but from what I heard at interview day is that dont really give financial aid/scholarships.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Geneva is the only on-campus housing that is offered. It's your typical suite-style apartments with a total of 1-4 students per apartment. Move-in and move-out dates are pretty terrible because you can't move in until 1-2 days before orientation and you have to move out 1-2 days after the final test of first year. Geneva comes fully furnished and you don't have to worry about utilities.

Off-campus housing is pretty broad but the most common options are Jefferson Tower and Madison Tower due to their proximity to campus. It's roughly an extra 5 minutes to walk from either of those to campus as opposed to walking from Geneva. Both towers are similarly priced (and are hundreds cheaper per month compared to Geneva) but they do not come furnished. However, utilities are covered except for internet (Fios/Spectrum). You'll also be able to rent a single if they're available.

A newer option for off-campus housing is Theory (suite-style apartments that are fully furnished). It is a little further away than Jefferson and Madison but it boasts of the incredible amenities. Note: construction is not supposed to be finished until August, a lot of SU students may also be renting there, and the pricing is comparable to Geneva unless you get 3 other roommates.

If you decide to live further away from downtown (rent gets MUCH cheaper the further away you go), you'll probably want a garage parking pass that costs ~$70/mo IIRC. Exiting the parking garage during peak shift change times (8am, 4pm) causes an astronomical amount of traffic so you might be stuck waiting 45 minutes to leave the garage for a 5 minute drive home. There's also an off-site parking lot off of East Genesee St. (R-lot) that is cheaper (~$15/mo IIRC) and is serviced by a free Upstate shuttle.
MS2 Commuter here.
You are definitely right about the traffic. Anywhere from 3:30 to 5:30 there can be a wait. During the summer, I am doing research so I try to peace out before 3:30. During the school year, I usually stay until the spike and traffic is over with.

For what it's worth, I use the west garage for $73 a month. R lot is around there, maybe 20. From what I hear, most students who park in that lot will just walk to campus when the weather is nice.

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Does anyone know if Upstate drug tests their first years? Planning a trip to Cali in July and don't want to get my acceptance revoked or get some probation bc I smoked while I was in a legal state.
They do not drug test us. I would assume if you give them probable cause during your clinical experiences or any other professional situation it may occur. But I have never been drug tested for Upstate.

Hi I was wondering if any accepted or current students could tell me about the loan process and financial aid! Do you decide the cost of the loan based on your yearly expenses? And do you go through the school for the loan?
The loan process is not too bad. There's a couple things you have to do.
1) fill out FAFSA
2) wait until that gets approved
3) log on to your portal and accept your loans
4) while you are on the portal, sign the master promissory note (MPN)
5) wait until about 1-2 weeks into the school year
6) ???
7) profit (but not really - you're now more in debt)

If you have any questions, feel free to message the financial aid office. They are more than willing to help.

Last edited:
@MooberGoober is correct. They don't really give too many scholarships for the first year. You can't apply to them either.

There are more internal scholarships for the later years.

Can any older year students comment on curriculum and resources they used besides school lecture?

Also would you guys recommend Geneva towers? And is there a microwave/cooking area in the apartments (will be in a 2 or 4 since apparently 1 bedroom are all gone)?

Edit: and what would we need to bring with us to Geneva or the other fully furnished buildings? Pillow, blankets, etc...

Last edited:
Recently called upstate once again and got the same " we reached a bit beyond your position in previous years".

Has anyone had a change in their prediction/ a different prediction?

Called again today, and they said they have reached my position before. Any new updates for anyone else?

Anyone else having problems completing the "Not Anymore" module? I don't have an upstate email address.
I emailed them about it, it should be your username, and the code (i think they asked?) is Upstate? I can looked back on my email and let you know later today.

Anyone else having problems completing the "Not Anymore" module? I don't have an upstate email address.

Your email is the same as your groupwise login name. It's listed on the incoming student checklist once they accept your ID photo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a quick question - that might be stupid. I noticed that the cost of attendance now is higher than the loans they have given me, would the school adjust the loans accordingly or do I need to do anything?

Just a quick question - that might be stupid. I noticed that the cost of attendance now is higher than the loans they have given me, would the school adjust the loans accordingly or do I need to do anything?
Sorry for the delay. I'd give Financial Aid a call. 315 464-4570

Perhaps a discrepancy is that last year we were not offered health insurance through the school. This year they are offering it. If you have health insurance and would like to cancel that, let me know. I just did so yesterday.

I’m seeing my tuition balance in MyUpstate portal but when I try to pay online, the balance showing at the online paying site is 0. Someone else also has this problem?

I’m seeing my tuition balance in MyUpstate portal but when I try to pay online, the balance showing at the online paying site is 0. Someone else also has this problem?
Certainly not my area of expertise here, but I called the Bursar's office regarding the recently uploaded tuition balance. They stated that the Financial Aid office has not had a chance to do things on their end yet. Thus, financial aid has not been applied to our tuition bill.

If you're attempting to pay out of pocket for your bill with a card, then I am not sure - sorry. It may still have something to do with the Financial Aid office.

Congrats! I'm happy they weren't lying about still accepting people haha. You must be over the moon right now! :laugh:
I am! Hopefully I'm able to share this experience with the rest of you still eagerly waiting.

Accepted this past Friday! Forgot to post it here, but hopefully this reassures future waitlisters reading through these threads. :woot:

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted this past Friday! Forgot to post it here, but hopefully this reassures future waitlisters reading through these threads. :woot:
Looks like there was some truth to "we reached a little beyond your position".

Anyone have a list of things that I should buy/have before moving to Syracuse?
They gave us a list of stuff we needed to get by the first week of classes, but I've read conflicting things on what exactly you end up using so I havent gotten anything either. Hopefully and upperclassman can help.

They gave us a list of stuff we needed to get by the first week of classes, but I've read conflicting things on what exactly you end up using so I havent gotten anything either. Hopefully and upperclassman can help.

You don’t need anything except a stethoscope. Everything else is unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For the MPN, do we do this on the fafsa website, or through the school's site?

For the MPN, do we do this on the fafsa website, or through the school's site?

I don’t remember if it’s exactly the FAFSA website or if it’s a tertiary link once you log into your FAFSA account but it’s definitely not on the Upstate bannerweb.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey y'all! I just got accepted! I am beyond shocked and so, so grateful! Couple of questions though... I'm going to pick up my acceptance packet on Thursday morning during orientation, so I was wondering if any of you knew what the academic blocks I and II entail on the orientation schedule. Also, I read somewhere above that there is some required reading prior to classes beginning? Any details? Thank you!!

Just like @dr_stewpeas, I was accepted to Upstate but I will be going somewhere else. It's a brutal process and I will tell you it's definitely not all about your stats. I got a 500 on the MCAT and was accepted to 3/6 schools I was accepted into with scholarships. Upstate, in particular, told me I had a stellar interview and was vouched for during the committee meeting by one of the interviewers. The point is, put a lot of effort into writing good essays/secondaries, and if/when you get an interview invite, prep extremely well. I had 6 interviews and performed poorly on the first three. I later found a book (which I can refer you to if you PM me) which helped tremendously with the remaining interviews and was able to gain admission to all the other schools (including some high-ranking schools if that matters to you) thereafter. Work hard/pm me for tips and good luck. Also be confident in yourself!

Are you a URM? how was your science GPA and extracurricular activity? also, are you NY resident?

Question, on the interview page it says
"Rather, you can use the wait list feature on the previous page to put yourself in line for an earlier date should a slot open up."
Does anyone know how to do that? I see no feature.

Hey! Does anyone remember what they said about sending updates post interview? Thanks!