2017-2018 SUNY - Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are we supposed to call or email them about our position on the HPA? And who do we contact?

From this thread it looks like you can do either but they had no problem telling me over the phone. Just call the main # for the admissions office and they'll transfer you to the right person. It was really quick!

Members don't see this ad.

There is no chance of being pulled off the committee hold list right?

Members don't see this ad :)
To any accepted student living in Geneva, are any single rooms still available?

Accepted on Friday but I ain't withdrawing until this post gets some love so hit the like button savages

Reactions: 7 users
They told me they've gotten "a little past my spot in previous years but every cycle is different." No acceptances yet, 3 waitlists... Tehy're really making me sweat it out!

Withdrew my spot on Monday - best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew my spot this morning. Good luck all!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students have advice re: parking on campus? Is Garage West worth the $$ or is R lot OK?

Withdrew, I hope my spot goes to one of you!

Accepted off the HPA by phone call today at noon!! This is my first acceptance and I am so overwhelmed and happy with this news.

Interviewed 2/7
HPA: 3/15
Accepted 5/23

See you all in August!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted off the HPA by phone call today at noon!! This is my first acceptance and I am so overwhelmed and happy with this news.

Interviewed 2/7
Accepted 5/23

See you all in August!
Congrats my man! We both got the same HPA prediction from them so I'm super excited to hear you got in!

Interviewed 2/7
Accepted 5/23

See you all in August!

Congratulations!!!!! Did they tell you both to call back in May, June or July? They never mentioned anything to me about reaching a little past my spot or anything like that, so I'm getting a bit discouraged.

Congratulations!!!!! Did they tell you both to call back in May, June or July? They never mentioned anything to me about reaching a little past my spot or anything like that, so I'm getting a bit discouraged.
Not the guy you're asking, but they told me this a few weeks ago:

"I can share with you in years past we have typically reached a little beyond your position. Each year is different though and we can never guarantee the same thing will happen this year. We will just need to see how the list moves. Please feel free to contact me again in mid June and I can perhaps give you a better idea of how things look then."

Not the guy you're asking, but they told me this a few weeks ago:

"I can share with you in years past we have typically reached a little beyond your position. Each year is different though and we can never guarantee the same thing will happen this year. We will just need to see how the list moves. Please feel free to contact me again in mid June and I can perhaps give you a better idea of how things look then."

Thank you!! Hopefully they'll be calling you very soon!

I e-mailed them about 2 weeks ago and they told me that they've gotten a little past my spot on the waitlist in previous years and to call again in mid-June.

Just got accepted today! Seems like the list has started to move! Good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 5 users
Does anybody know if they there is a page where current/4th year might Be selling somebody of their stuff?

To those that have sent a letter of intent, did you just email them to admissions?

Gyngyn said there was waitlist movement here yesterday. Good stuff :)

This school. Admissions people can see where their accepted students also get in. They saw Upstate had activity on Tuesday.

Ohhh no, I was wondering where gyngyn said that, but either way I didn't know admissions could see that info about their applicants, so I still learned something! Lol Thanks!!!!

In a bit of a dilemma. What are accepted students doing for housing, on campus or off?? I really have no clue what to do, I heard Geneva is ****ty but not many people have been posting about off campus opportunities.

In a bit of a dilemma. What are accepted students doing for housing, on campus or off?? I really have no clue what to do, I heard Geneva is ****ty but not many people have been posting about off campus opportunities.

Geneva is the only on-campus housing that is offered. It's your typical suite-style apartments with a total of 1-4 students per apartment. Move-in and move-out dates are pretty terrible because you can't move in until 1-2 days before orientation and you have to move out 1-2 days after the final test of first year. Geneva comes fully furnished and you don't have to worry about utilities.

Off-campus housing is pretty broad but the most common options are Jefferson Tower and Madison Tower due to their proximity to campus. It's roughly an extra 5 minutes to walk from either of those to campus as opposed to walking from Geneva. Both towers are similarly priced (and are hundreds cheaper per month compared to Geneva) but they do not come furnished. However, utilities are covered except for internet (Fios/Spectrum). You'll also be able to rent a single if they're available.

A newer option for off-campus housing is Theory (suite-style apartments that are fully furnished). It is a little further away than Jefferson and Madison but it boasts of the incredible amenities. Note: construction is not supposed to be finished until August, a lot of SU students may also be renting there, and the pricing is comparable to Geneva unless you get 3 other roommates.

If you decide to live further away from downtown (rent gets MUCH cheaper the further away you go), you'll probably want a garage parking pass that costs ~$70/mo IIRC. Exiting the parking garage during peak shift change times (8am, 4pm) causes an astronomical amount of traffic so you might be stuck waiting 45 minutes to leave the garage for a 5 minute drive home. There's also an off-site parking lot off of East Genesee St. (R-lot) that is cheaper (~$15/mo IIRC) and is serviced by a free Upstate shuttle.

Hey! Just wondering has anyone heard about how the list is moving or how far they have gotten on the HPA list? This thread has been quiet lately and the wait is killing me lol
I emailed them yesterday, and they said the list is moving slowly. Otherwise, got the same thing as last month. We reached your spot in past years, check back in mid-June blah blah blah.

Any chance they said movement was similar to last year or did they make it seem like its moving slower than usual and not as many people are withdrawing?
No, they didn't say anything like that. Just that it's moving slowly. I would guess that's pretty normal at this point. Maybe if you called them, they'd tell you something different. They didn't pick up when I tried, though.

Have anyone heard anything about this health insurance Haylor Freyer & Coon? I just saw it listed on the portal and also noticed that it was included on the bill :O but not on the COA, what is this!

Does anyone know if Upstate drug tests their first years? Planning a trip to Cali in July and don't want to get my acceptance revoked or get some probation bc I smoked while I was in a legal state.

Has any one on the wait list heard from upstate yet? Thanks!
They've been accepting people since early May, but they're probably almost done. I'm still waiting too. Haven't heard anything recently, but if you email admissions they'll give you a prediction.

Thanks! I emailed them a month ago. They recommended emailing them back in mid-June. So, I will probably do that in a couple of days.

Thanks! I emailed them a month ago. They recommended emailing them back in mid-June. So, I will probably do that in a couple of days.
They told me the same thing. I'll ask them soon as well. :unsure:

accepted off of hpa!!!! just found out via email for Binghamton campus not sure how I missed it!!
Grats! Funny how you were thinking of calling them and then boom you're already in :laugh:

So I just heard back from Upstate and they said they reached a little beyond my spot, and to contact thrm again in mid july. Anyone else have a similar estimate/acceptance?