2017-2018 University of South Carolina - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you receive a "it was great meeting you" postcard in the mail? I got one today.

Edit: I received one from my first interviewer. Was really nice!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
9/15 - Rejected after submitting the 'ties to the state form' in mid-August. Good luck to the rest of you!

Edit: I received one from my first interviewer. Was really nice!!
Nice, I received one from my first interviewer too! I talked to one of my friends at the school and they said it is common for the interviewers to do. Nonetheless, I think it speaks volumes about the school and its faculty.

9/15 - Rejected after submitting the 'ties to the state form' in mid-August. Good luck to the rest of you!
Sorry to hear; I'm sure you will get in somewhere though!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
for anyone who already went through the interview
I was wondering what where the questions you got?

thanks!

Everything they asked me was application specific. Not many general questions that I could share for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Everything they asked me was application specific. Not many general questions that I could share for you.
Same. My questions pretty much summed up to “tell me about your research.”

Anyone heard anything yet? This is stressful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Calls are going out. My friend got accepted. Nervewracking!!

I definitely behind the ball compared to you guys, but I recently completed my application to USCSOM and emailed them to confirm everything. They responded with, "its complete and we will contact you in the next few weeks regarding an interview date in the spring semester." Has anyone been in a similar situation? Im not sure whether to think this is a blanket statement for all application questions, or if it means I should get an interview. Thanks for any insight! :)

I got a call this morning saying I got accepted! They sent an email first though. Hope news comes for you soon!

Rejected today. Feelsbad

Just cola. I emailed adcom. They are mailing out a letter.

I have not received an email at all yet. Would it be weird to reach out to ADCOM and check on the status? My AAMC application was sent out on 8-29

I have not received an email at all yet. Would it be weird to reach out to ADCOM and check on the status? My AAMC application was sent out on 8-29
yeah I would definitely ask. It doesn't hurt

Does everyone receive a secondary from this school, or are OOS applicants weeded out at that point?

I received a phone call on Tuesday 10/24! Accepted OOS but with close ties. Good luck to all other applicants

II on Monday for 1/17! IS complete 9/20

II! OOS scheduled for mid-December. Can anyone comment on transportation from the airport? Curious if there are any shuttles or if uber is the best option.

Last edited:
Just got the call!!!! Good luck to everyone :)

II! OOS scheduled for mid-December. Can anyone comment on transportation from the airport? Curious if there are any shuttles or if uber is the best option.
Uber is your best bet in Columbia. I'm also interviewing mid December, see you there!

What experience do they have with USCSOM? They have some summer programs/internships.

Just happened to me. I have no USCSOM experience, but I'm IS with a strong MCAT.

One of my friends got a II without even completing the secondary! Anyone else have similar experiences?
This just happened to me! I was about to submit the secondary (really really late in the year, I know) and got an interview offer from them. I was totally shocked. I had no clue that could even happen. I am a reapplicant. Last year I submitted my primary 3 weeks earlier than I did this year (which was still pretty late) and got an email right away that they had already received over 3000 apps and couldn't even look at mine. I guess they liked the changes I made.

I go to school at usc, to the best of my knowledge there are no shuttles. Uber or taxi is going to be the best choice by far. Don't know your time frame but traffic coming from the airport to the SOM is minimal, especially via the interstate.

For the Close Ties portion, are y'all listing anyone and everyone you know that graduated there or just if you're a legacy?

Yep, so I got an email for an interview (on 11/14) before I submitted my secondaries. I'm OOS, but my mom and brother live IS. I'm 27 and have my masters if that makes a difference! And about the thank you letters, YOU should send them one! Leaves an impression

Can anyone comment on student activities outside of their coursework? I am trying to learn more about community engagement, teaching opportunities, etc.

Any recent interviews here or pre interview rejections? OOS here

Any recent interviews here or pre interview rejections? OOS here
The final interviews of 2017 were last week. Acceptances for those interviews went out today. From what they said last week, the next set of interviews are scheduled for the second week of January and they will only accept a few people from each interview block so that there are always seats remaining for subsequent interview blocks. I'm IS, but there were a lot of OOS people at last week's interview. Tufts and Nova Southeastern were two schools I remember represented in the interviewees.

Anybody heard anything from the 12/13 interview day? Haven't heard a heard a thing, IS, I also remember Virginia Tech and Marion represented from that day as well

Anybody heard anything from the 12/13 interview day? Haven't heard a heard a thing, IS, I also remember Virginia Tech and Marion represented from that day as well

Still waiting too

I heard back on Monday afternoon. I received an email instructing me to call the school. For me, it was great news as this school is my top choice. The email came directly from an individual but check your spam folder just in case. In my phone call and subsequent emails, they mentioned that they were mailing all the paperwork this week and it should be here by Friday. The seat deposit deadline is really tight due to the holidays: January 1. @GONJDEVILS, I was the guy from FMU. I hope this cycle works out in your favor. Everyone that interviewed that day seemed really nice.

Got an email this morning, accepted!!!

You hear anything yet? I thought Dr. Thornhill mentioned we would hear back within one week