2017-2018 University of South Carolina - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My seat just opened up. I’m glad to have kept it warm for whoever is going to get that magic phone call in the coming days. :) This is an truly great school that I would have loved to attend in the fall if circumstances were different.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
My seat just opened up. I’m glad to have kept it warm for whoever is going to get that magic phone call in the coming days. :) This is an truly great school that I would have loved to attend in the fall if circumstances were different.

Ahh! Where did you decide on?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the alternate list email today
Same, is everyone automatically an alternate or are some outright rejected? Also I heard that you can call and see what third of the alternate list you have been placed in is that true?

Reactions: 1 users
Same, is everyone automatically an alternate or are some outright rejected? Also I heard that you can call and see what third of the alternate list you have been placed in is that true?

This is true, although I just called and they told me to ask again in a week because the list hasn't been finalized yet

I was also placed on the list. I sent an email back asking if they could tell me where I was on the list.

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t fret about the alternate list! Based on past years you’ll mostly likely get in. At the 3/28 interview they said 17 spots were still open, 18 now including the person who just committed to Greenville, so there is space! The 2 M1’s giving my tour and the M2 I interviewed with were all waitlisted at one point. In fact they said most of the current class was waitlisted.

Reactions: 3 users
Don’t fret about the alternate list! Based on past years you’ll mostly likely get in. At the 3/28 interview they said 17 spots were still open, 18 now including the person who just committed to Greenville, so there is space! The 2 M1’s giving my tour and the M2 I interviewed with were all waitlisted at one point. In fact they said most of the current class was waitlisted.

It all depends on which third of the waitlist you're on, right? I was aware that top third = 99% sure to get in, middle third = 50/50 chance, and lower third = better start re-applying

Yes, It’s going to be circumstance dependent. This year has proven to be a really competitive year so we can’t predict with any real certainty but last year they did make it into the lower third tier. My student from the “day in the life shadowing experience” told me that tidbit. The M1 tour guide said students with multiple acceptances can reserve their spot at both schools until June 1st. So there is constantly going to be movement even late in the summer when things are looking bleak.

I got the call/email this morning that I've been accepted to the class of 2022!!! I'm so excited! (Boss Meow Cat I think I was in your interview group on the 28th!)

Dr. Thornhill called me back after a few tries and let me know I got into medical school. Got the email to call him today around 11.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email back saying I am in the top third IS!

How does OOS Vs IS work for the alternate list?

Bottom third for IS waitlist. However in the email, Mrs. Streeter said that in recent years they've gotten into the bottom third. Should I keep my hopes up?

Bottom third for IS waitlist. However in the email, Mrs. Streeter said that in recent years they've gotten into the bottom third. Should I keep my hopes up?

I think you should be prepared for anything. It will not hurt you to be proactive. Truthfully, I don't even feel comfortable relying on the top third, so I'm going to start studying for the MCAT again.

I was just accepted on friday! Is there a facebook group someone can give me the link to? Also has revisit/second look day already occurred?

The link above is the Facebook group. Also, from what I understand second look day happened in January. I'm not sure if they are having another.[/QUOTE]
Thank you so much!

Very long time lurker, but I'm so happy to say that I was offered a position this morning! I was on top third of the out of state waitlist!

Reactions: 2 users
More waitlist movement this morning! Just got the acceptance! Top 1/3 In state!

Just withdrew my acceptance. I hope one of you IS students hears back soon!!

For someone OOS on the middle third of the waitlist, what do yall think are the chances of getting a call? And what does the timeline usually look like for this process?

Accepted off of the top third of the in-state waitlist this morning!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know how the wait list works exactly? Like are there pools within each third of the waitlist, or is it a list of people that is set in stone /there is no movement within or across thirds?

Does anyone know how the wait list works exactly? Like are there pools within each third of the waitlist, or is it a list of people that is set in stone /there is no movement within or across thirds?
From what I understand, there are 50-75 on the waitlist according to MSAR. I was told they typically offer 140-160 seats. IS and OOS waitlist. The class of 100 is made of 25% OOS 75% IS. Do you know what third your in?

As far as how the waitlist works... I always assumed that the waitlist consists X amount of people, ranked in descending order based on the overall score that the admissions committee ranked you after ~holistically~ evaluating your profile. When exactly you get pulled off the waitlist (and thus get offered an acceptance) depends on when/how many people that were initially offered but instead decline their offer and choose to attend another school. At that point, the adcom would give that person's offer to whoever's next-in-line and has the highest score on waitlist. And given the fact that they try to maintain the same ratio of IS (75%) vs. OOS (25%) students every year, I would also assume that your IS vs. OOS waitlist chances depends on a combination of this ratio and also whether that initially accepted person who declined their offer was IS or OOS.

I think the reason they give out the "thirds" description rather than your actual numerical position on the waitlist is to be helpful by giving you an idea of your probability of getting an offer, but at the same time, making no promises that exactly X amount of waitlistees get accepted each year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, this is all just my assumption lol

Last edited:
^that’s exactly my understanding of how this works. And according to previous years, the waitlist apparently sees a lot of action. Which makes sense according to that math^^. But obviously that’s gonna differ per year. Not surprising that it’s slow right now (well, according to how many people have posted on here, which obviously ain’t completely accurate) given that accepted students have til April 30th to make a decision, but I’d expect there to be a decent amount of calls next week. Then someone mentioned students being able to hold spots at multiple schools until June 1st, so I’m expecting that to be another promising week. As for the IS/OOS deal, I would have to assume there are separate lists. And because the IS list is subject to much fewer variables (how many students have multiple SC school acceptances, where kids are wanting to go), I’d imagine it is significantly more predictable.

Folks that have been accepted off the waitlist, did they call you directly? Or email first? Wondering bc some schools give you one call, and if you miss it, it’s on to the next one. No voicemail or nothin

Got my acceptance this week. Top third OOS waitlist and I plan on attending :)
Would love to connect with the other future students on the facebook page if somebody would be kind enough to add me!

Got my acceptance this week. Top third OOS waitlist and I plan on attending :)
Would love to connect with the other future students on the facebook page if somebody would be kind enough to add me!

I just clicked on the ^^ link and requested to be in the group and one of the admins added me!

Mrs. Streeter told me I was in the middle 3rd for OOS so chances are slim :(

Got accepted from the middle third of the IS list this week! Best of luck to everyone!

Hoping for some movement all the way to bottom third IS!

Mrs. Streeter told me I was in the middle 3rd for OOS so chances are slim :(

I am too. Definitely expecting the worst, but hoping for the best. Prob too many variables at play to be able to make any real predictions here, but in my neurotic state of uncertainty regarding what I'm gonna be doing in the fall, I did some math that may or may not be of any value:

So MSAR publishes that USC Cola puts 50-75 students on the waitlist. According to recent years, they accept ~20% OOS. Based on all the available info, there have to be separate lists for IS and OOS. 20% of 75 = 15; 20% of 50 = 10. 10-15 kids on OOS list. <That assumption could be susceptible to some serious error, but the logic makes sense. Divide that into thirds: ~3-5 kids per third. According to this forum alone, I think 3 have been accepted off the OOS list top third. So...... hopefully it's inching towards us? Haha

Got accepted from the middle third of the IS list this week! Best of luck to everyone!
Congrats tmc!! So this means they already offered acceptances to everyone on the top third of the IS list??

I hope it gets to the bottom third of IS and I get in. I will truly feel satisfied in life if that happens

I hope it gets to the bottom third of IS and I get in. I will truly feel satisfied in life if that happens
If they're already on the middle third and its only a week after traffic day I think its totally plausible!

If they're already on the middle third and its only a week after traffic day I think its totally plausible!

Does anyone have an idea of how this year’s movement (so far) compares to previous years?

Does anyone have an idea of how this year’s movement (so far) compares to previous years?
Judging from last year's thread I feel like its pretty on par with last year. Seems like they had significant movement from the middle third of the waitlist but acceptances from that tier were reported earlier in this thread so I feel like there's still a shot of reaching the bottom third. Just my opinion though!

According to Shelley they are almost to the bottom third of the waitlist. Do y'all think there will be much more movement? Is late May "late" in terms of the waitlist cycle?