2017-2018 University of Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yikes just realized that U of U offers 125 spots for 85 Utah residents, 10 Idaho residents, 15 non-residents who went to high school/college in Utah, and 15 non-residents with no ties. I'm in that last group, so I guess pure "odds-wise" it ain't looking too great :unsure:

Reactions: 1 user
Primary submitted July 11th. Still no secondary.....

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile
I submitted my primary June 9th and got a secondary yesterday. A
Yikes just realized that U of U offers 125 spots for 85 Utah residents, 10 Idaho residents, 15 non-residents who went to high school/college in Utah, and 15 non-residents with no ties. I'm in that last group, so I guess pure "odds-wise" it ain't looking too great :unsure:

Damn, that combined with 70k OOS tuition with no residency reclassification. Think I might reconsider sending in that secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify the Research (hypothesis-based) section - I think it is because I do not like what I believe to be the answer, but I wanted to double-check: can only research that involved testing a hypothesis be inserted here? I have completed hundreds of hours of translational science where I informally test hypotheses, as well as presented a poster comparing two treatment methods (again, no formal hypothesis). Should I NOT include these here since there must be a hypothesis? Or can I add them with discussions about the kinds of tests I did, yet as Alan puts it, "It's not illegal, it's just frowned upon!"

Thanks in advance.

I think there may be a bit of confusion here. I would have a hard time believing any translational research done didn't have a hypothesis. There is virtually no way such a project, especially one as funding dependent as translational/basic science could get approved without one. Could you expound on this a little bit? If you were able to present a poster on something too it likely would count, were there any conclusions or things it answered? The idea here is just that it was formal research being done under the supervision of some mentor/PI.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'll also through out real quick a couple things: 1. Please please please do not do more characters than what is given as the max. Making an application longer/more tedious/more painful to review beyond what is allowed is low hanging fruit in the negative sense. 2. Personally I would try to reword these short descriptions to add in another thing you learned or experience, at least to a couple of them. If it was not a big experience don't overly embellish it. It would be preferred not to copy and past from AMCAS, that somewhat defeats the point/opportunity. 3. Take your time, have a person or two run over the descriptions and catch typos and such. Looking sloppy at any step of the way is an easy target.

Good luck everyone!! It's a horribly arduous process but it does end eventually ha :)

Any update on where they are at with sending out secondaries? I submitted to AMCAS June 15th. Wondering if anyone out there has received a secondary that submitted around the same time as me or later?

I think there may be a bit of confusion here. I would have a hard time believing any translational research done didn't have a hypothesis. There is virtually no way such a project, especially one as funding dependent as translational/basic science could get approved without one. Could you expound on this a little bit? If you were able to present a poster on something too it likely would count, were there any conclusions or things it answered? The idea here is just that it was formal research being done under the supervision of some mentor/PI.

Thanks so much for the clarification, and simply put, it sounds like I should add these experiences

I was taking this section too literally - all these secondaries have gone to my head! And you're right, our translational science project involves testing hypotheses - I think I confused myself with the basic science research.

Also, thanks for elaborating on how we should be writing our secondaries, and letting us know there is an end... eventually.

Also confused about this. I have a committee letter, but do not have access to my individual letters, as they were all submitted directly to my health careers office. Has anyone had this problem in the past/know the best way to handle it?

I haven't received the secondary so I don't know its format but when I called they recommended sending the committee letter and then specifying on your secondary which of the individual letters you would like read.

The description box accepts more than required 300 characters, so do we put more or restrict to 300 characters?
I just called the admissions office, and they told me that if the box doesn't give a notice or cut you off, your description is fine. So it's probably safe to stay to 300, but I was told you would not be penalized for going over if the box allows you to.

Any IS still waiting for a secondary? i submitted AMCAS on June 1st. This is one of the last secondaries I am waiting for..

Really? That seems odd, as they don't screen. Spam? Perhaps lost somewhere along the way? Ordinarily I would say be patient, but they state in their application that if it's not completed within 30 days that you are disqualified. Might be worth a call just to double check.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else still waiting for the secondary? Maybe I should call them and see why I haven't received it yet...

I finally broke down and emailed them. They said they sent me a secondary on July 17th, but I never received it. I've been really diligent about checking my spam folder and everything, so I don't know why I never got it. Anyway, they gave me a link to the secondary application. So I'd recommend sending them an email at this point.

Reactions: 1 users
aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnd secondary submitted. now the waiting game! hopefully not too long

Got rejected 7/12 right off the bat lol...OOS obv. was stupid to apply here because im in the northeast so didn't make sense for me lol.

On the course entry section when they say "List only 1 biology course and 1 cell biology or biochemistry course to fulfill the biology requirement" does that mean they don't want us to add any other classes or that is the minimum?

On the course entry section when they say "List only 1 biology course and 1 cell biology or biochemistry course to fulfill the biology requirement" does that mean they don't want us to add any other classes or that is the minimum?
They only want the minimum, so only enter 2 courses: 1 bio and 1 cell bio or biochem

Just received the secondary! No ties to Utah so reluctant to send it in.

To anyone that has not yet received a secondary today I casually went to my spam folder to delete excess junk and found the University of Utah Secondary Application in there. This did not happen with any other of my secondary applications, only my Utah one.

To anyone that has not yet received a secondary today I casually went to my spam folder to delete excess junk and found the University of Utah Secondary Application in there. This did not happen with any other of my secondary applications, only my Utah one.
Mine was in spam as well.

Got an email from them today:

Thank you for completing your secondary materials for the University of Utah School of Medicine. The Admissions Committee will review your application to determine if you are eligible for further consideration. Your file will be considered under review until you have been notified via email of the Admissions Committee decision. Interviews will be offered to approximately 500 applicants and will take place from September-February.

On the portal my status now say "Completed"

Got an email from them today:

Thank you for completing your secondary materials for the University of Utah School of Medicine. The Admissions Committee will review your application to determine if you are eligible for further consideration. Your file will be considered under review until you have been notified via email of the Admissions Committee decision. Interviews will be offered to approximately 500 applicants and will take place from September-February.

On the portal my status now say "Completed"
Same

Does anyone know if we are allowed to use AP credit for the writing/speech requirement? On the secondary, it's stated: NOTE: One may not be used to fulfill two course requirements. Advanced Placement, IB, CLEP credit, independent study and correspondence courses may not be used to satisfy the Writing/Speech requirement.

Does this mean that we cant use AP credit for two courses or for any at all?

Does anyone know if we are allowed to use AP credit for the writing/speech requirement? On the secondary, it's stated: NOTE: One may not be used to fulfill two course requirements. Advanced Placement, IB, CLEP credit, independent study and correspondence courses may not be used to satisfy the Writing/Speech requirement.

Does this mean that we cant use AP credit for two courses or for any at all?
It all seems pretty obvious.
1. No double dipping- can't use one course to fulfill two requirements.
2. AP etc. Can't be used for English requirement.

Just received a complete email today! Submitted 7/28.

I got an email yesterday from the U's premed office saying the U of U SOM is going to use video interviewing. Text below:

Dear PreMed Students,

We are thrilled to announce we will be adding a new assessment to the University of Utah School of Medicine’s admissions process for the 2018 enrollment. We will be offering applicants an opportunity to introduce themselves earlier in the process using an asynchronous, timed video and written assessment, otherwise known as Standard Video Interview (SVI).

Applicants are asked to provide 4 timed video responses and 1 timed written response as part of their SVI. These are then combined with the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) and Standardized Judgement Test (SJT) on Assessment Day.

We have been working closely with software provider Kira Talent. They will host the assessment and provide 24/7 support to our applicants and reviewers. We have developed an efficient and effective process to train committee members to review applicant submissions. Rubrics have been developed to ensure all reviewers are evaluating applicants on the same criteria. Augmented written assessments will use similar rubrics.

We’re excited to be at the forefront of using these assessment types in medical school admissions. We believe this will give U of U an advantage in applicant assessment as we will be able to get a more holistic view of our candidates and evaluate them on non-cognitive traits such as compassion, professionalism, and communication skills, which are integral to their success in the medical profession. This format allows us to receive very candid looks into how applicants think on their feet, structure their thoughts, and articulate or write their responses.

Because we are among the first medical schools to include timed video and timed written assessments in the admissions process, you may have questions or receive questions from prospective applicants about this process.

Only applicants who are invited to attend Assessment Day will participate in the SVI. Kira Talent will send an email with access information and instructions to invited applicants which will contain the following:

● Registration to join Kira Talent

● Detailed instructions to ensure a smooth applicant experience, every applicant is required to run through a robust technical set-up that includes:

○ internet connectivity check

○ video check

○ audio check

○ speaker check

○ Required practice component during which applicants take and

watch their own responses to become comfortable using their

laptops for this recorded assessment.

● The environment - Try to ensure a quiet space free from interruptions. Background noises could make it difficult for the review committee to hear or understand a response.

● What to wear - Dress in appropriate attire; similar to what one would wear if meeting the admissions committee in person.

● Assistance - Applicants will have access to 24/7 technical support provided by Kira Talent during both the practice component and the real assessment:

● Practice component consisting of the opportunity for applicants to complete practice questions prior to starting the formal assessment. Applicants may run through the practice component as many times as they want in order to get comfortable with the Kira Talent platform.

● Applicants will have only one opportunity to complete the formal assessment. Once they begin, they will not be able to pause, rewind, re-do their responses or start over.

● The process should take no more than 30 – 40 minutes.

● A brief video of an interviewer asking a question is played.

● Once the question is asked the applicant has 30 seconds to consider the question and gather thoughts. During this time the full question will appear in text and continue to display during the response time.

● 2 minutes is allowed for the applicant to provide their recorded response.

● There will be 4 video questions and 1 written question.

● The written response allows 8 minutes total.

● Each question is timed, and applicants have one take to complete each response.

For more insight into this process and to set up a Kira Practice Assessment, visit www.kiratalent.com .

If you have any further questions, please contact [email protected].

Respectfully yours,

Benjamin R Chan, M.D., M.B.A.

Associate Dean, Admissions and Idaho Affairs

University of Utah School of Medicine, Admissions

I got an email yesterday from the U's premed office saying the U of U SOM is going to use video interviewing. Text below:

Dear PreMed Students,

We are thrilled to announce we will be adding a new assessment to the University of Utah School of Medicine’s admissions process for the 2018 enrollment. We will be offering applicants an opportunity to introduce themselves earlier in the process using an asynchronous, timed video and written assessment, otherwise known as Standard Video Interview (SVI).

Applicants are asked to provide 4 timed video responses and 1 timed written response as part of their SVI. These are then combined with the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) and Standardized Judgement Test (SJT) on Assessment Day.

We have been working closely with software provider Kira Talent. They will host the assessment and provide 24/7 support to our applicants and reviewers. We have developed an efficient and effective process to train committee members to review applicant submissions. Rubrics have been developed to ensure all reviewers are evaluating applicants on the same criteria. Augmented written assessments will use similar rubrics.

We’re excited to be at the forefront of using these assessment types in medical school admissions. We believe this will give U of U an advantage in applicant assessment as we will be able to get a more holistic view of our candidates and evaluate them on non-cognitive traits such as compassion, professionalism, and communication skills, which are integral to their success in the medical profession. This format allows us to receive very candid looks into how applicants think on their feet, structure their thoughts, and articulate or write their responses.

Because we are among the first medical schools to include timed video and timed written assessments in the admissions process, you may have questions or receive questions from prospective applicants about this process.

Only applicants who are invited to attend Assessment Day will participate in the SVI. Kira Talent will send an email with access information and instructions to invited applicants which will contain the following:

● Detailed instructions to ensure a smooth applicant experience, every applicant is required to run through a robust technical set-up that includes:

○ video check

○ audio check

○ speaker check

● The environment - Try to ensure a quiet space free from interruptions. Background noises could make it difficult for the review committee to hear or understand a response.

● What to wear - Dress in appropriate attire; similar to what one would wear if meeting the admissions committee in person.

● Assistance - Applicants will have access to 24/7 technical support provided by Kira Talent during both the practice component and the real assessment:

● Practice component consisting of the opportunity for applicants to complete practice questions prior to starting the formal assessment. Applicants may run through the practice component as many times as they want in order to get comfortable with the Kira Talent platform.

● Applicants will have only one opportunity to complete the formal assessment. Once they begin, they will not be able to pause, rewind, re-do their responses or start over.

● Once the question is asked the applicant has 30 seconds to consider the question and gather thoughts. During this time the full question will appear in text and continue to display during the response time.

● Each question is timed, and applicants have one take to complete each response.

For more insight into this process and to set up a Kira Practice Assessment, visit www.kiratalent.com .

Respectfully yours,

Woah. I had a hunch the U of U would do something like this when I saw that they didn't have an essay.

This just seems so.. Last minute-y. I wonder why didn't they just go with CASPer? Lots of their applicants probably already did a CASPer exam.

So will we only do this video thing if we get an interview? Or will all applicants do it? Or will it be like Dell where they screen who does it but that doesn't mean you will interview?

Dear PreMed Students,

○ video check

○ audio check

○ speaker check

Respectfully yours,

Did anyone else not get this email?? I checked my spam folder and submitted my secondary over a month ago.

Did anyone else not get this email?? I checked my spam folder and submitted my secondary over a month ago.

It was from the pre-med office at the U of U, not from the actual school of medicine.

GUYS. I logged on to my portal and saw an Assessment Day tab next to my secondary tab! It took me to an interview scheduling screen, so I guess that's an II, right? But I didn't get an email! I went ahead and scheduled before they can change their minds. Haha

Yay, my first II! :banana::banana:

Holy. Crap. It was an error. Not kidding. I just talked to them and they said their system accidentally put everyone's applications into interview status!! And now the assessment day tab is gone from my portal. :diebanana:

Holy. Crap. It was an error. Not kidding. I just talked to them and they said their system accidentally put everyone's applications into interview status!! And now the assessment day tab is gone from my portal. :diebanana:
They should just accept us all to make up for the mean spirited joke they just played.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I'm glad this got resolved before I checked, or else I would have been pretty crushed haha

Reactions: 1 users