2017-2018 University of Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So has anyone here had their interview yet? Any feedback on the day/interview process?

Members don't see this ad.

II today!! For real this time. haha
LM 72-74, OOS, complete in July

Has anyone here had their interview day yet? How high would you rate the stress level? There are a lot of hoops to jump through, from the timed video interview beforehand to the 8 MMIs, traditional interview, and the MEPE exam.. Is a day full of trick questions, or basic ethical situations?

The interview day was really fun, very low stress. The MMIs all had very nice staff members and they tried to challenge me in my responses of course but there was nothing completely out of the blue that stressed me out. No trick questions, very straight forward. Just be yourself and stay calm and you will be completely fine. Good luck and congrats on the interview invite!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can confirm this as well. During my interview they said they only accept 25-40% of applicants before March.
I know we can't go into too much detail because of the non disclosure, but what are people's general impression of the svi? I'm kind of procrastinating doing it. I have two kids at home and I have my computer/ webcam set up in a dank unfinished basement room. I can see this going so poorly.... bleh. Maybe I can like hang a white back drop and set up some lighting?

I know we can't go into too much detail because of the non disclosure, but what are people's general impression of the svi? I'm kind of procrastinating doing it. I have two kids at home and I have my computer/ webcam set up in a dank unfinished basement room. I can see this going so poorly.... bleh. Maybe I can like hang a white back drop and set up some lighting?

I think that would be fine, maybe just try to do it when your kids are sleeping so at least it is quiet and they can hear your responses. From what I could tell, the staff didn't have too much of an expectation of the SVI, especially because it is so new. Everyone in my interview group felt like it could have gone better and they wished they could redo it, but the staff reassured us that it is considered a small part of the entire application overall. I hope that helps!

So has anyone here had their interview yet? Any feedback on the day/interview process?

I interviewed on 10/6 and thought it was great. The MMIs were not as stressful as I thought they would be. They went over the IS/OOS admissions breakdown and took some time to go over admissions criteria.

Last edited:
The interview process was very laid back, MMI was not as stressful as expected. Having lunch and talking with the second year medical students was a great end to the interview day and very informative!

Missed a phone call this morning by a random Utah number. Stomach did a flip when I saw it, but there was no message left. :shrug:

Edit: I'm sure there are interviews today, so he wouldn't have been able to call. Silly me.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Missed a phone call this morning by a random Utah number. Stomach did a flip when I saw it, but there was no message left. :shrug:

Edit: I'm sure there are interviews today, so he wouldn't have been able to call. Silly me.

From looking back at last year's thread and the one from 2015-2016, it looks like the committee usually meets on Tuesday afternoons and then calls generally go out on Wednesday (I think).

What's everyone wearing for their Kira video interview? The Kira site says business casual but I feel like it needs to be professional since we'll be wearing that on Assessment Day.. not sure though. Thoughts?

What's everyone wearing for their Kira video interview? The Kira site says business casual but I feel like it needs to be professional since we'll be wearing that on Assessment Day.. not sure though. Thoughts?

I wore professional attire. Personally, I would much rather be overdressed than underdressed.

Are there any instate kids in the house that haven't received an interview invite?? I'm getting kind of antsy that my home school isn't showing me any love. I've got pretty good stats but I haven't heard back yet.

Are there any instate kids in the house that haven't received an interview invite?? I'm getting kind of antsy that my home school isn't showing me any love. I've got pretty good stats but I haven't heard back yet.
Me! I was complete in mid-August and my stats are above average, but I still haven’t heard back.

I wouldn't worry about it. Utah interviews the majority of in-state applicants, so I'm sure nearly all competent and high stat applicants get an interview. With this threads activity, it appears that they started interviews in October. They can only send out so many interviews at once! I'm sure you'll receive one later on. For Utah, the cycle is just beginning.

Me too! It kinda sucks it seemed there were about 8 kids in one of my classes yesterday that interviewed already. Oh well keep waiting right.

I wouldn't worry about it. Utah interviews the majority of in-state applicants, so I'm sure nearly all competent and high stat applicants get an interview. With this threads activity, it appears that they started interviews in October. They can only send out so many interviews at once! I'm sure you'll receive one later on. For Utah, the cycle is just beginning.

I believe that Utah interviews started at the beginning of September (that's when mine was). I also applied here last year and never received an interview. Not trying to be a downer, but I experienced the same thing. It sucked. However, the interview season is long so there is always hope!

Last edited:

From the stats that AAMC publishes, the U interviews a little over 60% of the in-state applicants that apply.

I received an interview invitation in August and interviewed in early September. From what I've heard from friends who have talked to the admissions office, they are slightly behind sending out interview invitations currently.

My pre-med advisor worked very closely with the admissions committee at the U, and unfortunately for some, this school doesn't care much about your stats. As long as you're above their minimum for MCAT, GPA, and activities then you have just as much of a chance of receiving an interview as any other in-state applicant. What it really comes down to is the quality of your application as a whole, 15 activities/experiences, and your personal statement. I knew a few people with near perfect MCAT scores and GPAs above 3.9 who weren't even offered an interview at the U as in-state applicants.

If your application is sound and fits with their mission, and you're above their minimums, then you'll probably be receiving an interview at some point this cycle from the U! But, keep in mind, this school is truly interested in the whole picture of you as an applicant and definitely practices holistic review.

I thought the video interview was awkward AF, but I dressed up.

Any OOS and non-surrounding area students that received an II who would like to PM their stats? I'm still "pending review" here

While many on the forum have said the MMI's were really laid back, I would say that they are not as "conversational" as they say they are. I've done MMI's before, and the other ones I've done were really fun because the interviewer made it a back and forth of ideas and questions, whereas at the U, all of my interviewers just asked questions and didn't really respond to my answers other than by asking another question from a list in front of them. Honestly, while the questions were not necessarily hard, they made it more of an interrogation than a conversation. The student lunch was nice and the students seemed to enjoy the school, but did comment that the U had to change their curriculum to maintain their accreditation and the first years felt like the changes were not implemented well. Also, unlike other schools, we were not spoken to by the dean or the president of the university. My tour also was not done by a student (even though last year they had us do tours with a personal guide) and we went in a big group so we didn't actually see inside any of the facilities (simulation center, hospital, ect.) that I have seen on other interviews. Overall, the interview day wasn't stressful, but it also wasn't very warm and inviting either. I may have just had a bad interview day, but it certainly did not leave me feeling like I really wanted to go here.

While many on the forum have said the MMI's were really laid back, I would say that they are not as "conversational" as they say they are. I've done MMI's before, and the other ones I've done were really fun because the interviewer made it a back and forth of ideas and questions, whereas at the U, all of my interviewers just asked questions and didn't really respond to my answers other than by asking another question from a list in front of them. Honestly, while the questions were not necessarily hard, they made it more of an interrogation than a conversation. The student lunch was nice and the students seemed to enjoy the school, but did comment that the U had to change their curriculum to maintain their accreditation and the first years felt like the changes were not implemented well. Also, unlike other schools, we were not spoken to by the dean or the president of the university. My tour also was not done by a student (even though last year they had us do tours with a personal guide) and we went in a big group so we didn't actually see inside any of the facilities (simulation center, hospital, ect.) that I have seen on other interviews. Overall, the interview day wasn't stressful, but it also wasn't very warm and inviting either. I may have just had a bad interview day, but it certainly did not leave me feeling like I really wanted to go here.

I'm a first year and this is the first I have heard of a curriculum change to keep accreditation. Where are you getting that? I think there are things that could be better about the curriculum but for the most part it's great. Didn't Dr. Chan speak to your group? He is the Dean of Admissions. I never interviewed at a school where anyone "above" the Dean of Admissions spoke to us either so but that would be cool. The reason you didn't get a 1 on 1 tour is because the first years have a class during interview tour time every other week.

Anyway, don't believe everything this guy (or girl) is saying. The U is a great school with a great environment. Don't count on many schools rolling out the red carpet for you on interview day because at the end of the day, you are 1 of 4,000 competing for 125 spots. Good luck and if anyone has any questions please message me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm a first year and this is the first I have heard of a curriculum change to keep accreditation. Where are you getting that? I think there are things that could be better about the curriculum but for the most part it's great. Didn't Dr. Chan speak to your group? He is the Dean of Admissions. I never interviewed at a school where anyone "above" the Dean of Admissions spoke to us either so but that would be cool. The reason you didn't get a 1 on 1 interview is because the first years have a class during interview tour time every other week.

Anyway, don't believe everything this guy (or girl) is saying. The U is a great school with a great environment. Don't count on many schools rolling out the red carpet for you on interview day because at the end of the day, you are 1 of 4,000 competing for 125 spots. Good luck and if anyone has any questions please message me.
What I was told by the second years is that the group learning (I can’t remember the proper name of it) was not being implemented well and there were first years who were saying that it just seemed thrown together at the last minute with some professors. If that’s not the case this is good news, but the second years I spoke to during lunch both agreed this is an issue.
Every school you speak to the dean of admissions, but at the other schools I’ve interviewed the president or overall dean popped in for a short message, which I thought was cool and the norm, but I could be wrong.
I interviewed here last cycle (I only applied here last year because my wife is finishing her PhD here this spring) and my experience last cycle was much different and more inviting. I just thought I should be honest with my impression this time so people aren’t as surprised as I was if they had an experience similar to mine. This is still my #1 choice.

Does anyone know how to check your application status? is it the same website as the secondary?

Does anyone know how to check your application status? is it the same website as the secondary?

I don't think there really is a way to check status. The only thing that may give an indication of status is what it says in the secondary application box on the main page. I don't know for sure though.

When you get an II a new box shows up next to the secondary application one that says “assessment day”. Outside of that I’m not sure how to check other phases of the application.

Interview invite! Out of state but I'm an undergrad at another university here in Utah.

II today by email! This is my #1 school and I'm so excited!!!

Last edited:
Has anyone heard back from the U who has interviewed there this cycle (in terms of acceptances/waitlist/rejection)? Or know someone who has heard back...?

Has anyone heard back from the U who has interviewed there this cycle (in terms of acceptances/waitlist/rejection)? Or know someone who has heard back...?

Haven't heard a peep.

They've already done (some) EDP acceptances and a few from September, per a few classmates.

The U's process is very non-linear; we better all buckle-up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
They've already done (some) EDP acceptances and a few from September, per a few classmates.

As a re-applicant, I can comment to the fact that the U's process is very non-linear; we better all buckle-up.
Do you know when acceptances started going out for people who interviewed in September?

II just now! Pretty excited!

Reactions: 1 users
based on last years forum, I think they start letting more people know mid November

Are they receptive to ITA emails? Dont know what they constitute "ties"" but Ive been going to SLC for 8+ years and almost moved there during my gap year. Going to be there in January and it would save the extra flight.

Second-year here, and I can confirm the curriculum modification to include team-based learning (TBL) was not done to prevent losing any sort of accreditation so I'm not sure where you picked that up. It is learning platform being added to the majority of medical programs around the country as it is now showing up in education literature as having improved learning and outcomes. Last term was our first experience with it took some getting used to, especially since participation is required for those sessions, but our instructors are fantastic and have made it a more valuable use of time. It is worth noting how responsive the faculty has been to our feedback. In general, I prefer to do most of my studying on my own time, so having a required meeting didn't initially appeal to me, but the time spent in TBL is pretty minimal (once a week for us) and has been a good way of practicing for board exams.
Like I said in past posts, I was just repeating what the second year students I spoke to told me. So it sounds like I was told misinformation. Thank you for taking the time to clear it up and to talk about your experience in the program. I think my reservations about the school are essentially gone now