2017-2018 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, a little update. Some progress was made today with regards to attendance.

As per the Dean, OMS-II students will now have non-mandatory attendance in all but 2 classes during the spring semester. The only exception is if you are on academic probation.

Don't expect them to keep it if scores or pass rates decline.

Members don't see this ad.

So, a little update. Some progress was made today with regards to attendance.

As per the Dean, OMS-II students will now have non-mandatory attendance in all but 2 classes during the spring semester. The only exception is if you are on academic probation.
Which 2 classes?

They were talking about doing this last year just couldn't make it work. They also do this to you 3rd year but they are monthly requirements.
It would also seem that the 2nd year class will have limited release from the attendance requirements for the second semester. The requirements are similar to ours last year. Such as all lectures by non teaching faculty will be required attendance, all OPP and clinical skills classes are required attendance, students must be in good standing with out academic or behavioral warning or probation... the list goes on. This awaits final approval and may have other requirements, such as the rumored must have a GPA above 3.0 and never had to re-mediate anything. Also I am willing to bet the school will scare students into going to class by withholding the release of powerpoints or changing them ( did this to us), not record lectures or put their hand over the mic so only those in the class know a test answer to an irrelevant question ( Pharm guys do this), put people on academic warning for pathology even though they know the path guys don't update your grade until the end of the year, not let you review your test if you didn't come class, and my personal favorite change test times and locations and only tell those in class and send out an email about it the day off the test. ( A cut throats dream)
Dont forget about the face/phone scanner they are trying to implement for attendence instead of using a sign in sheet cause you can sign other students it

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't expect them to keep it if scores or pass rates decline.

I go to class intermittently and I haven't had anyone mention the attendance policy to me personally. The only requirements are your Doc Skills/OPP days (so lecture and lab are both on Tuesday for us), anatomy lab (2 hours either on a Wednesday or Thursday, depending on which group you're in), and biochem lecture at 8 on W,Th,F. The last one I wish wasn't the case since his lectures are better on our online system than in person (I like them, just helps to watch them at 1.5x speed and pausing when needed to gestate what he's saying), but I will say I like the incentive to get going in the morning and start my day. To each their own though. So that's something like only 11 hours of class a week you have to absolutely go to, unless they start clocking everybody in. I say that's not a bad deal, especially compared to many DO schools and some MD schools.

Now, officially we have to be present for 80% of the classes for each course, and if they ever start enforcing that policy that would highly detrimental to me. I just don't learn that much in the typical lecture for most courses. Not to say the lectures are poor, for the most part they're just fine, I've just found over the years that it's not the best way for me to learn. So all in all I'm hoping the status quo holds, or even improves to the point of the policy mentioned above that they have for the second years.

Reactions: 1 user
I go to class intermittently and I haven't had anyone mention the attendance policy to me personally. The only requirements are your Doc Skills/OPP days (so lecture and lab are both on Tuesday for us), anatomy lab (2 hours either on a Wednesday or Thursday, depending on which group you're in), and biochem lecture at 8 on W,Th,F. The last one I wish wasn't the case since his lectures are better on our online system than in person (I like them, just helps to watch them at 1.5x speed and pausing when needed to gestate what he's saying), but I will say I like the incentive to get going in the morning and start my day. To each their own though. So that's something like only 11 hours of class a week you have to absolutely go to, unless they start clocking everybody in. I say that's not a bad deal, especially compared to many DO schools and some MD schools.

Now, officially we have to be present for 80% of the classes for each course, and if they ever start enforcing that policy that would highly detrimental to me. I just don't learn that much in the typical lecture for most courses. Not to say the lectures are poor, for the most part they're just fine, I've just found over the years that it's not the best way for me to learn. So all in all I'm hoping the status quo holds, or even improves to the point of the policy mentioned above that they have for the second years.
If this is true and has been for a while at wcucom then why is there so much hate on here for their “strict” attendance policy? It doesn’t seem so bad at all and honestly OPP and lad are pretty much mandatory at every DO school? So I just don’t get it? Is the attendance policy as bad as people are making it to be on this site or is Voch119 not accurate?

If this is true and has been for a while at wcucom then why is there so much hate on here for their “strict” attendance policy? It doesn’t seem so bad at all and honestly OPP and lad are pretty much mandatory at every DO school? So I just don’t get it? Is the attendance policy as bad as people are making it to be on this site or is Voch119 not accurate?

Lol, it's accurate because it's an objective statement. I'm a first year and it's what happens pretty much on a weekly basis for myself and my classmates. Can't speak for the second years. Now, the issues are a) what if everyone decided to not go, would the administration immediately crack down, and b) will they follow through with their warnings of attendance monitoring as it stands currently.

If the worse comes to pass and my out of class studying days cease, then I guess I'll just do my best with my current practice of sitting towards the back and focusing on powerpoints or writing book notes in class for the most part. It's all over the med student forums on SDN, "what do you do in mandatory lecture?" or something similar. This is especially true in the DO sections.

I think the issue is a little bit blown out of proportion to be honest, but I still understand the concern when choosing which school is best for you. Just don't let that be the sole deciding factor when ruminating over where to interview or accept an offer of admission.

I'm a fourth year, they were pretty bad about it during my first and second years. It worked for me first year, because I needed to be in the classroom to get the material. Once I got to second year, me and several others had spreadsheets to calculate just how much we could miss. Certain guest lecturers for Clinical Science? Looks like i'm slipping out the side door to go to T-Bones for UWorld and an early lunch. By the end, I was in the back with everyone else, 1 earbud in and doing DIT/COMBANK. I'd occasionally get emails or stopped in the hallway by administration asking me why I was missing class.

Because they take OMM WAY too seriously. At other schools, its lax and enjoyable, At Carey, we literally have to take an ENTIRE WEEK to prepare for the written exam and practical. It's ridiculous.

Wait until 4th year, the requirements are unbelievable. Other students I've rotated with on auditions were like "seriously, you have to do what?"

What kind of requirements? I could deal with all of the bs that comes with carey but stupid opp eats up all my time and stresses students out. I actually put the blame on the chitty opp faculty for board scores being low. Sometimes I feel like dropping out and attending another school but the debt and interest that accumulates with it is no joke

Full patient and procedure logs on all rotations

2 evidence based medicine quizzes on all month-long rotations. Get 2 tries on it

If you are on a 2 week or less rotation, you have to do an OMM research proposal with references.

3/4 week rotation- 20 question OMM quiz, that winds up taking at least an hour, you HAVE to have Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine to complete it, they'll give you a PowerPoint and the DiGiovanna references to go with it. The questions are sometimes so onerous, I'll have 3 google windows open and the PowerPoint from OMS-2 open to find the answer. 1 shot to get it right. Oh, and if you fail...1500 word essay with citations and references.

Full patient and procedure logs on all rotations

2 evidence based medicine quizzes on all month-long rotations. Get 2 tries on it

If you are on a 2 week or less rotation, you have to do an OMM research proposal with references.

3/4 week rotation- 20 question OMM quiz, that winds up taking at least an hour, you HAVE to have Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine to complete it, they'll give you a PowerPoint and the DiGiovanna references to go with it. The questions are sometimes so onerous, I'll have 3 google windows open and the PowerPoint from OMS-2 open to find the answer. 1 shot to get it right. Oh, and if you fail...1500 word essay with citations and references.
IWTF who comes up with this chit like seriously??I thought fourth year is suppose to be a chill year at least thats what I have heard, I guess not. Besides collecting their pay check is there anything else the deans at carey do for us students. I seriously get a feeling that some of the teachers at this school (OPP faculty) try to make opp overkill so students dont have time to do well on other subjects and everyone gets stuck in family medicine smh

Reactions: 1 users
IWTF who comes up with this chit like seriously??I thought fourth year is suppose to be a chill year at least thats what I have heard, I guess not. Besides collecting their pay check is there anything else the deans at carey do for us students. I seriously get a feeling that some of the teachers at this school (OPP faculty) try to make opp overkill so students dont have time to do well on other subjects and everyone gets stuck in family medicine smh
I think he is getting it... ssshhhh... don't you tell no BODY...

Reactions: 2 users
3rd year ain't chill either. Kaplan assignments for every rotation usually around 100 or so questions must have all complete with a certain percent correct. I think 40? 2 OMM quizzes each block based on articles or you can document 10 OMM procedure you did on that said rotation. 2 EBM assignments... these aren't bad actually and they do kind of teach you something although the assignment is garbage. Plus for each of the core blocks you will have a comat exam that you must pass... these exams are just super poorly written and do a horrible job at even asking questions on the subject matter ( except the OMM Comat that was just on OMM, still bad but not as bad and at least it is the stuff you studied for) these comats also determine your grade. You also have to come back for 4 callbacks, 3 during your 3rd year and 1 two week long course the first in June before you start 4th year. With all that you still have to find the time to study for step 2 CK, level 2 and the PE.
Yeah they don't let go just because you leave the nest.

Dont forget about the face/phone scanner they are trying to implement for attendence instead of using a sign in sheet cause you can sign other students it

I heard from a professor yesterday that the phone scanner thing isn't happening. They were playing around with it to see how it would work, however, I think they realized that was a little much and unnecessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard from a professor yesterday that the phone scanner thing isn't happening. They were playing around with it to see how it would work, however, I think they realized that was a little much and unnecessary.
The idea of them even thinking about it is unnecessary and puts unneeded stress on students. They need to be spending some time improving their ppts instead

I got into LECOM Seton Hill Today as I was interviewing at ATSU. My next interview is here. Would anyone have any advice on if I should continue with my interview for next week or just take my LECOM acceptance. sitting on a waitlist from NYIT also. Seems like you all have some real big problems with the school. So I just want your opinion before going or canceling my interview.
I would have killed for a seat at LECOM. Take that acceptance and run brotha. I promise you.

Last edited:
For the EM matches in the previous years, was that mostly AOA or ACGME? Do you think the match numbers will change drastically after AOA is done with, specially for EM or IM programs with cards/gas routes?

For the EM matches in the previous years, was that mostly AOA or ACGME? Do you think the match numbers will change drastically after AOA is done with, specially for EM or IM programs with cards/gas routes?
I would also like to know. Personally I don’t think it will be as doom and gloom as some people make it out to be on this site and the reason why I think that is that the combined match will help DO’s. Now you will be matching in one system
and not forgoing ACGME just to match a competitive residency in AOA. Also many former competitive AOA residencies are pre accredited and will gain accreditation by the time we graduate. Many of these programs will have DO PD’s, some will have osteopathic recognition and will be more open to taking DO’s than MD’s, I doubt a DO PD will take all MD’s over a decent DO applicant imo. I think that the match will stay roughly the same in terms of numbers, and DO’s will still match most all specialties like they do today. Former DO programs will continue to overwhelmingly match DO’s and a few MD’s. Lower tier DO students might suffer for a competitive residency but I am not sure how that is any different than now? If a DO student does bad on boards and is in the bottom of his class and applies to competitive AOA residencies like ortho, derm etc his chances of matching will still be very low as there are still many high scoring DO students who apply to AOA for comeptitive residencies. I
may be wrong but this just seems logical? I dont understand how that fact would change because of the merger? Competitive DO students would still match those former AOA programs and now due to combined match could also try for current ACGME prgroams. Less competitive DO students will still continue to match the same programs they do today? I think IMG will suffer the most as with the combined match, less spots will go umatched and that will squeeze out IMG’s. But that just my 0.2

Guys... really a phone scanner. They can barely keep the regular computers working you all know this was not going to happen. So yes there will always be ways of cheating the attendance policy but let me give you the best advice of the year.... DON'T. If you get caught even once you are done. In every class is at least one cutthroat that would be happy to turn you in and your friends that help you to get an "advantage". Not only that your class size is not that big so professors will start to figure out when "new" faces start to show up again and will crack down. So everybody if you are required to met the policy just do it.

I got into LECOM Seton Hill Today as I was interviewing at ATSU. My next interview is here. Would anyone have any advice on if I should continue with my interview for next week or just take my LECOM acceptance. sitting on a waitlist from NYIT also. Seems like you all have some real big problems with the school. So I just want your opinion before going or canceling my interview.
Decline your interview at Carey, LECOM Seton Hill is one of the stronger DO schools. It maybe debatable if ATSU is better but you currently don't have that problem. Best of luck to you.

So this is the match results of the 2017 class. I want you guys to understand a few things before you dive head long into this data and start making snap judgements. 1st it is impossible to account for people that wanted a competitive specialty but just could not make it vs those that change their minds for other reasons. I myself was very interested in a very competitive specialty and after taking step 1 and NOT getting a score high enough I still had a good change of landing it in either the AOA match or the Military match however 3rd year happened I rotated in the specialty and hated everything about it. Now my target is a specialty that is considered not competitive. 2nd pay attention to the number of those that scramble, SOAP or get placed. While these persons did eventually land a spot they did not match and it is more likely they were pushed into a field they didn't want to be in but had to settle. The whole placement thing is a whole different can of worms usually involving a dean calling up a friend to place a student. 3rd once the AOA match is completely closed competition will go up not down. It really is simple math there will be more applicants than there are competitive spots. More and more people will want to get into these spots every year. That does mean that some things will just be out of your league, some will be quite difficult and others not too bad. 4th it is hard to tell if an applicant applied wisely or not. Some people just do not apply to enough programs, regions or just do things that are not smart and end up either not matching at all or SOAP/scrambling into a program they really don't want. 5th the total percent match rate that schools post is after SOAP/scramble and does not mean anything. 6th take notice for the specialties you don't see people matching into vs the ones they do. Schools that regularly have people matching into Ultra competitive specialties like Derm, opthal, urology, rad onc and ortho have a support network that makes this a possibility for their students. It also means for the other specialties they have something in place too which will make it easier for you and trust me you will want any help you can get. 7th You can't account for the special snow flake phenomena. There is always one person that no matter what kills boards, is top of the class, has connections to research and gets published, is president of every club, has mountains of letters or rec, has a personal statement that reads like a novel, is married to the senator of California daughter and ect. This is NOT you. Its not and this is fine. Don't get stupid and think that well that dude matched ortho that one year so I can do it to so it doesn't matter what school you go to. Nor should you look a match summary and see one person matched in Derm and think a school matches people in derm all the time or even it is likely. If you don't see a trend of those matches most years, it was the special snow flake phenomena.

If you are looking at a schools match data trying to figure out if a school is right for you I hope it isn't high up on your reasons for choosing a school or not. Schools have little control over what specialty you choose but they can and WILL push you to go the direction that fits what they want. Carey's mission is to make rural primary care physicians for the gulf south USA. That means Family Medicine.
Look into how a school facilitates NOT forces learning. A school should make it easier for you to learn all this data not harder. Lastly a good medical school never makes good doctors they make good medical students, good residencies make good doctors. It is a transition to each step and each step before should prepare to or enable you to learn the next step if it doesn't or it feeds you BS about trying to make better doctors not just good board scores be cautious.

Ok soap box time over... Do what you will with this data.

Total number of students who participated in the 2 matches = 93

Military Match
Number of students who participated = 2
Number who obtained their primary choice of specialty = 2 (100% primary choice success rate)
Breakdown of specialties:
FM=1, IM=1

AOA Match
Number who participated = 55
Number who matched = 33 (60%)
Number who obtained their primary choice of specialty = 31 (93.94% of those matched)
Number who obtained their secondary choice of specialty = 2
Number who went into the scramble = 22
Number who actively sought GME placement in scramble = 12
Number who bypassed scramble to try the NRMP = 10
Number who successfully found GME via the scramble = 8
Number who obtained their primary choice of specialty via scramble = 2 (25%)
Number who obtained their secondary choice of specialty via scramble = 4 (50%)
Number who entered TRI and ultimate specialty is TBD next year = 2 (25%)
Breakdown of specialties in the AOA:
Match: FM-11, IM-8, OB-5, EM-3, Psych-2, General Surgery-2, Ortho-1, TRI-1
Scramble: FM–1, IM–3, OB–1, TRI-3

NRMP Match
Number who participated = 50
Number who matched = 36 (72%)
Number who obtained their primary choice of specialty = 34 (94.44% of those matched)
Number who obtained their secondary choice of specialty = 2
Number who went into the SOAP = 14
Number who successfully found GME via the SOAP = 3
Number who obtained their primary choice of specialty via SOAP = 0
Number who obtained their secondary choice of specialty via SOAP = 0* (secondary specialty was FM but they found a very similar specialty via SOAP)
Number who signed to a different residency specialty outside of their primary and secondary choices during SOAP = 2
Number who are TBD after SOAP due to signing a TRI and ultimate placement is pending = 1
Breakdown of specialties in the NRMP:
Match: FM-11, IM–8, OB–1, EM–5, Radiology–4, Peds–2, PMR–2, Anesthesiology–2, Neuro-1
SOAP: FM-1, TRI-1, Med/Peds-1

Residency placement after the SOAP closed
Number of students who were still seeking GME after the NRMP concluded = 11
Number of students who have been successful so far in obtaining GME placement = 9
Number who obtained their primary choice of specialty after the matches = 2
Number who obtained their secondary choice of specialty after the matches = 2
Number who are TBD after the matches due to signing a TRI and ultimate placement is pending = 5
Number who are still unsigned and working on obtaining GME Position = 2
Breakdown of specialties in the post matches period:
TRI-4, FM-3, IM-1, EM-1

Guys... really a phone scanner. They can barely keep the regular computers working you all know this was not going to happen. So yes there will always be ways of cheating the attendance policy but let me give you the best advice of the year.... DON'T. If you get caught even once you are done. In every class is at least one cutthroat that would be happy to turn you in and your friends that help you to get an "advantage". Not only that your class size is not that big so professors will start to figure out when "new" faces start to show up again and will crack down. So everybody if you are required to met the policy just do it.
What are the consequences of getting caught? Any incidents you know of and would like to explain?

I would also like to know. Personally I don’t think it will be as doom and gloom as some people make it out to be on this site and the reason why I think that is that the combined match will help DO’s. Now you will be matching in one system
and not forgoing ACGME just to match a competitive residency in AOA. Also many former competitive AOA residencies are pre accredited and will gain accreditation by the time we graduate. Many of these programs will have DO PD’s, some will have osteopathic recognition and will be more open to taking DO’s than MD’s, I doubt a DO PD will take all MD’s over a decent DO applicant imo. I think that the match will stay roughly the same in terms of numbers, and DO’s will still match most all specialties like they do today. Former DO programs will continue to overwhelmingly match DO’s and a few MD’s. Lower tier DO students might suffer for a competitive residency but I am not sure how that is any different than now? If a DO student does bad on boards and is in the bottom of his class and applies to competitive AOA residencies like ortho, derm etc his chances of matching will still be very low as there are still many high scoring DO students who apply to AOA for comeptitive residencies. I
may be wrong but this just seems logical? I dont understand how that fact would change because of the merger? Competitive DO students would still match those former AOA programs and now due to combined match could also try for current ACGME prgroams. Less competitive DO students will still continue to match the same programs they do today? I think IMG will suffer the most as with the combined match, less spots will go umatched and that will squeeze out IMG’s. But that just my 0.2
You are making a classic blunder here. You assume old AOA PDs care about the MD vs DO thing. Truth is most don't. They are going to do whatever it takes to get the best people they can get, do whatever they can to make their program as attractive as they can and do what is best to keep the hospital and their program running smoothly. That means they want people that can quickly make the transition from med student to intern, that need less retraining, that do well on their in service exams, graduate residency on time, get into great fellowships ect. MD students have the advantage not only in training and boards but in numbers as well. Its not like you are comparing a DO with equal board scores to a MD student but more like comparing a DO with 10 MD students. You see how this tips the scales then you add in things like how our MSPEs don't describe our rotations at all or how we compare to other students thus making it difficult for a PD to judge how well your training was, you coming from a school that has a regular 10% attrition rate, having a board exam scores that are not even on the same scale or even test the same stuff as the majority of applicants, and having less publications if any. You can see how in some fields even former AOA residencies you just don't even come up on the radar. Now this isn't every field (like EM doesn't care about research just strong SLOes and good scores on step 1 and 2), field attractiveness changes all the time and some of those former AOA programs just will not be attractive to most MD applicants but as the years go by they may as competition increases.
Is it going to be worse for IMGs? Yep but don't think it is going to be business as usual for DO grads.
Other classic blunders to avoid.... Never get into a land war in Asia and Never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

You are making a classic blunder here. You assume old AOA PDs care about the MD vs DO thing. Truth is most don't. They are going to do whatever it takes to get the best people they can get, do whatever they can to make their program as attractive as they can and do what is best to keep the hospital and their program running smoothly. That means they want people that can quickly make the transition from med student to intern, that need less retraining, that do well on their in service exams, graduate residency on time, get into great fellowships ect. MD students have the advantage not only in training and boards but in numbers as well. Its not like you are comparing a DO with equal board scores to a MD student but more like comparing a DO with 10 MD students. You see how this tips the scales then you add in things like how our MSPEs don't describe our rotations at all or how we compare to other students thus making it difficult for a PD to judge how well your training was, you coming from a school that has a regular 10% attrition rate, having a board exam scores that are not even on the same scale or even test the same stuff as the majority of applicants, and having less publications if any. You can see how in some fields even former AOA residencies you just don't even come up on the radar. Now this isn't every field (like EM doesn't care about research just strong SLOes and good scores on step 1 and 2), field attractiveness changes all the time and some of those former AOA programs just will not be attractive to most MD applicants but as the years go by they may as competition increases.
Is it going to be worse for IMGs? Yep but don't think it is going to be business as usual for DO grads.
Other classic blunders to avoid.... Never get into a land war in Asia and Never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line.
I see. Despite all of this.. ie 10% attrition rate and the lack of good clinical education in DO schools how do DO schools continue to have 98%+ match rates? How are there people still currently matching in acgme EM, surgery etc from DO schools?

I see. Despite all of this.. ie 10% attrition rate and the lack of good clinical education in DO schools how do DO schools continue to have 98%+ match rates? How are there people still currently matching in acgme EM, surgery etc from DO schools?
Answers to both questions can be found in the above post you quoted or in a post I put up earlier with the 2017 match info in it.

No. 100% go to the Touro-NY interview. It's a much better program with more connections.

What about it makes NY a much better program?

From what I’ve seen, they have poor complex pass rates, faculty dropping out, poor rotation sites, mandatory attendance/letter grading, higher tuition than carey, school has been on probation.

No. 100% go to the Touro-NY interview. It's a much better program with more connections.
Yeah I am gonna disagree with you here. The whole Touro school network is falling apart and its been doing horrible for a while now. Now not that Carey is better but at Touro's rate of decline....

Any tips for interviewing? I received an II in November for 2/12 and so my interview is coming up.

What kinds of questions were you asked?
What format was the interview in?
How long did it last?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any tips for interviewing? I received an II in November for 2/12 and so my interview is coming up.

How long did it last?

Just relax and be yourself. It’s a 3 on 1 open file interview with faculty members. They are super chill and nice and personable. Know a bit about the school and know why you want to go to WCUCOM and know why you want to be a DO. There is also an ethical question which is super easy to answer. They said that they are just looking to make sure you are not a serial killer at the interview. Good luck to you!

How long did it last?

Echoing what FutureDoctor5000 said. It's very laid back and takes about 20 mins tops unless you get chatty. Open file, so if you have anything that is less than exemplary be able to explain it, and be comfortable talking about it. (That's probably more of a test of pressure and how you handle mistakes, take responsibility, etc.. than them really caring what happened.) Know about Osteopathic Medicine in general, why you want to be a doctor, what do you like and know about WCUCOM, and if you see yourself in primary care (FM, IM, GP, Emergency Med, OB-GYN, Peds, Gen Surg), and practicing in the gulf south.

If you or anyone else interviewing has any questions or wants to better understand any of those questions, PM me and we can talk about it.

If you don't hear anything in the window they said they would contact you in post interview, is that a rejection?

Echoing what FutureDoctor5000 said. It's very laid back and takes about 20 mins tops unless you get chatty. Open file, so if you have anything that is less than exemplary be able to explain it, and be comfortable talking about it. (That's probably more of a test of pressure and how you handle mistakes, take responsibility, etc.. than them really caring what happened.) Know about Osteopathic Medicine in general, why you want to be a doctor, what do you like and know about WCUCOM, and if you see yourself in primary care (FM, IM, GP, Emergency Med, OB-GYN, Peds, Gen Surg), and practicing in the gulf south.

If you or anyone else interviewing has any questions or wants to better understand any of those questions, PM me and we can talk about it.
Tried to PM you but I think your profile is private!

If you don't hear anything in the window they said they would contact you in post interview, is that a rejection?

I was never contacted before getting my acceptance letter. Just wait a little longer for the letter, or you can call them and ask if you can’t wait.

I interviewed on Monday, January 29th and received my (unofficial) acceptance today via phone.

During the interview they said that they have three options: (1) Acceptance, (2) Rejection, or (3) Defer Decision. From what I've gathered, they're consistent with their aforementioned window in which they said they would contact, so I'd guess that if you didn't hear back by then your application status is possibly (3).

Hey, so for anyone who has interviewed- what did you need to bring with you?
EDIT: Did you need to bring a portfolio? Did you print out multiple copies of your resume?

- I’m a potato.

Hey, so for anyone who has interviewed- what did you need to bring with you?
EDIT: Did you need to bring a portfolio? Did you print out multiple copies of your resume?

- I’m a potato.
Just wear normal formal interview clothes. You don't need to bring anything with you really. They'll hand you paperwork and booklets that pretty much lay everything out for you, such as business office contacts, financial aid, academic calendar, etc. Taking notes would be kind of overkill and there's no real opportunity to do so. Don't bring a resume, that's totally unnecessary at this point. No one will use it as everything should be in your file. Lunch and drinks throughout the day will be provided. Just relax and try to be yourself for the most part, but still maintain a professional and semi formal demeanor. Don't overthink your answers, it'll probably come off stilted.

Just wear normal formal interview clothes. You don't need to bring anything with you really. They'll hand you paperwork and booklets that pretty much lay everything out for you, such as business office contacts, financial aid, academic calendar, etc. Taking notes would be kind of overkill and there's no real opportunity to do so. Don't bring a resume, that's totally unnecessary at this point. No one will use it as everything should be in your file. Lunch and drinks throughout the day will be provided. Just relax and try to be yourself for the most part, but still maintain a professional and semi formal demeanor. Don't overthink your answers, it'll probably come off stilted.

I agree with this 100% - very relaxed and casual interview. When I interviewed, I did happen to bring a padfolio with me containing thank you cards and also a list of school specific questions that I wanted to be sure to ask. However, if your list of questions is minimal, you can just memorize them as well.

I agree with this 100% - very relaxed and casual interview. When I interviewed, I did happen to bring a padfolio with me containing thank you cards and also a list of school specific questions that I wanted to be sure to ask. However, if your list of questions is minimal, you can just memorize them as well.

I wouldn't do any sort of thank you card. You could just send Dr. Weir a follow up email the next day thanking him for the invite, everyone taking the time to show you around and interview you, how much you enjoyed the day, etc. Relatively short and sweet.

Frightening results from the AOA match:

45% matched
35% didn’t match (Nat’l avg: 12%)
22% didn’t participate

Can’t wait to hear administration try to manufacture yet another excuse as to why this happened.....Lol.

Are you sure about that? I've heard the opposite and that it was successful with several people matching competitive specialties like a few derms and surgeries.

Are you sure about that? I've heard the opposite and that it was successful with several people matching competitive specialties like a few derms and surgeries.
Deleted my post. I was given incorrect info. The number was actually 17.8% unmatched.

I apologize.

Deleted my post. I was given incorrect info. The number was actually 17.8% unmatched.

I apologize.

I wish that number was 0%, but that's certainly better. Was that because they decided to do NRMP match instead?

I wish that number was 0%, but that's certainly better. Was that because they decided to do NRMP match instead?

Here are the actual stats:

23.8% (24) Matched
17.8% (18) Non-Match
58.4% (59) Didn’t participate (NRMP I assume)

Here are the actual stats:

23.8% (24) Matched
17.8% (18) Non-Match
58.4% (59) Didn’t participate (NRMP I assume)

While your original numbers were not accurate you thoughts on it being a bad match were correct. It does look like there were a few that matched into competitive spots and a few may still scramble into those spots however this is a reflection of the mergers effects as a whole. The entire Aoa match was horrible for every school. This will most likely the last time you ever see a DO match in Derm, ortho, opthal and other super competitive specialties except in rare circumstances. Count how many DOs match in those fields in the NRMP match and that is what you have to look forward to in 2020 and beyond. I hope it warmed your heart to see those 24 people match because out of the 18 that didn't 14 are scrambling with most of them now knowing they are in serious trouble. Keep in mind multiple others from many other schools are also scrambling many of them with strong COMLEX scores and great stats. Many residencies do not fill the remaining spots they have left and have no obligation or need to. The scramble rejection rate will be very high meaning many of these person will end up in TRI. This will do nothing to improve their competitiveness. Once the NRMP match is complete in march many of these DOs will also try to scramble into TRIs. With each year the match will become more competitive than the last and many specialties that were not competitive will become so. There were multiple people that failed to match in family medicine and peds the least competitive fields. The only people that are going to stand a chance at matching are those with strong USMLE score both steps.
Of those 59 that didn't participate that majority do not have a single USMLE score so you can bet that NRMP match is gonna be rough. The SOAP after that is gonna be tough too. This time they won't be able to call their friends and sweep people into some hospital program somewhere. It won't just be Carey, many schools will see this.
You maybe thinking oh well I will just rock both COMLEX and USMLE... easier said than done. Many of you will learn all about the Carey way, the hard way.

After investigating .....

upload_2018-2-6_21-25-8.png

"A quick analysis on the AOA match data from this year and last year.

1. Total number of graduates increased by 396
2. Number of participation in AOA match decreased by 516. Another way to look at it is that in 2017, 37% of all graduates participated in the AOA match while the fraction for this year is 27%.
3. Unmatched rate for those participating in AOA rose from 33% to 45%"

It's likely this is attributed to the decreased number of AOA spots? It will be interesting to see how the NRMP numbers shake out.

Last year there were about 2500 total that matched, this year there were only 1950 for AOA. Last year there were 3500 that did not participate, this year there are 4290. So about 800 graduates did not participate in the AOA match and I would assume are participating in NMRP?

Also, I noticed Hattiesburg's Meritt Wesly Residency program has a category "T" showing 10 unfilled EM spots? What is this?
upload_2018-2-6_21-42-22.png

After investigating .....

View attachment 228962

"A quick analysis on the AOA match data from this year and last year.

1. Total number of graduates increased by 396
2. Number of participation in AOA match decreased by 516. Another way to look at it is that in 2017, 37% of all graduates participated in the AOA match while the fraction for this year is 27%.
3. Unmatched rate for those participating in AOA rose from 33% to 45%"

It's likely this is attributed to the decreased number of AOA spots? It will be interesting to see how the NRMP numbers shake out.

Last year there were about 2500 total that matched, this year there were only 1950 for AOA. Last year there were 3500 that did not participate, this year there are 4290. So about 800 graduates did not participate in the AOA match and I would assume are participating in NMRP?

Also, I noticed Hattiesburg's Meritt Wesly Residency program has a category "T" showing 10 unfilled EM spots? What is this?
View attachment 228963
Multiple factors made this bad. The closure of spots, many moving over to NRMP, more applicants for less spots, more applicants not going for Aoa spots so many things happened... However it is predictable and seems to be happening as expected. The Aoa match is dead.
The T is for TRI years. Aint nobody got time for that.

Would anyone tell me if I have a good chance of getting into this school? Also does this school screen out for low MCAT?
Stats mcat 498: 125, 121,126,126 GPA:3.96, one publication, Biochemistry major, urm Hispanic, Texas resident.