2021-2022 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the A today as well! Congrats guys! For those of you who got waitlisted I'd say there's plenty of time for movement in the folllowing months.

I'm trying to decide between here and another school ASAP if anyone can help on this thread

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed yesterday and just got a rejection email today! I thought I did well on the interview, feeling really bummed out as this was my only interview invite of the cycle :(

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed yesterday and just got a rejection email today! I thought I did well on the interview, feeling really bummed out as this was my only interview invite of the cycle :(
damn im sorry man :(

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was in this boat last year! Call and ask for feedback. Keep your head up - figure out what you need to do to improve your app and you’ll get there!

• Care
Accepted earlier ! Interviewed Friday

• Love
Accepted yesterday as well interviewed last Friday

II received but I’ll be declining!

Submitted secondary at the end of February, invited for interview on March 8th, got acceptance letter on March 9th, and currently planning on visiting the campus and the town! The efficiency of the school is truly unimaginable.

• Haha
I have few pre-reqs in progress this semester at the time of the interview. But I am able to finish them prior to matriculation if accepted. I am wondering if this is looked at negatively by the interviewers and potentially get rejected for that reason ?
my interview definitely felt like they had my file in front of them but they didn’t dig into nitty gritty stuff like what i was taking this semester. i also know they’ve not given folks II’s because they didn’t have certain pre-req’s so i think they probs don’t care that much. as long as you have them done at a similar level to where you’re at before matriculation.

do we need a car in our first year? how often do you guys use it?

do we need a car in our first year? how often do you guys use it?
every current student, of which several were from toronto/ottawa/nyc, said on the teams call the other week that a car is pretty much an absolutely must. i guess there really isn’t any consistent, reliable public transportation. the only other option some folks said would be living on campus or potentially sharing a car with another first year student if you got an apartment with that person? i went to hattiesburg last week and while there’s tons to do and it’s a beautiful town, nothing is really reasonable
walking distance to the school.

Does anyone know if/when they send financial aid info to accepted students?
They said on the teams call not to expect any real paperwork etc until May or June, but you could always call Martha and ask!

Members don't see this ad :)
every current student, of which several were from toronto/ottawa/nyc, said on the teams call the other week that a car is pretty much an absolutely must. i guess there really isn’t any consistent, reliable public transportation. the only other option some folks said would be living on campus or potentially sharing a car with another first year student if you got an apartment with that person? i went to hattiesburg last week and while there’s tons to do and it’s a beautiful town, nothing is really reasonable
walking distance to the school.
What is this teams call you're referring to? Was it a student panel? I was recently accepted here/paid deposit and haven't heard about any events like that.

What is this teams call you're referring to? Was it a student panel? I was recently accepted here/paid deposit and haven't heard about any events like that.
it was just for accepted students and was like 4-5 weeks ago maybe? not sure when you were accepted but are you in the fb group? the link to the fb is up a bit in this thread. they announced it there. hopefully they’ll do another one again soon! it was honestly super helpful, and i only wish they had done it sooner!

it was just for accepted students and was like 4-5 weeks ago maybe? not sure when you were accepted but are you in the fb group? the link to the fb is up a bit in this thread. they announced it there. hopefully they’ll do another one again soon! it was honestly super helpful, and i only wish they had done it sooner!
Thanks! I was only accepted about 3 weeks ago so it makes sense I didn't see it.

Thanks! I was only accepted about 3 weeks ago so it makes sense I didn't see it.
oh gotcha cool yeah i hope they do another one soon! the interview/acceptance process was pretty sterile for me, which was totally fine, but the teams call (and visiting) definitely was a huge difference maker for me. like 5-6 current students stayed on with us for like literally 2.5 hours answering questions, and they had just come off a huge exam block. someone commented on a help me decide post that a “con” of william carey was how sterile the interview process was, which is a shame because they are really incredible, kind, and extremely gifted people once you get a chance to know a few people on staff/current students. Dr. Weir specifically is incredible and has an incredible background/track record as well.

Reactions: 3 users
oh gotcha cool yeah i hope they do another one soon! the interview/acceptance process was pretty sterile for me, which was totally fine, but the teams call (and visiting) definitely was a huge difference maker for me. like 5-6 current students stayed on with us for like literally 2.5 hours answering questions, and they had just come off a huge exam block. someone commented on a help me decide post that a “con” of william carey was how sterile the interview process was, which is a shame because they are really incredible, kind, and extremely gifted people once you get a chance to know a few people on staff/current students. Dr. Weir specifically is incredible and has an incredible background/track record as well.
I totally agree! Dr. Weir is amazing. I have chatted with him over the phone several times and he is so kind and welcoming.

Submitted secondary day before deadline when will interview come?

Probably never to be honest. So late in the cycle. But who knows

Probably never to be honest. So late in the cycle. But who knows
yeah i think some people are starting to get pre and post II R’s at this point. but you never know! i know some folks didn’t get the A till june last year!

Submitted secondary day before deadline when will interview come?
wait a month or so, if you fit their mission, you should get it imo

I totally agree! Dr. Weir is amazing. I have chatted with him over the phone several times and he is so kind and welcoming.
I received a handwritten card from him a few days ago welcoming me to WCUCOM! I get the feeling that they are really itching to move away from the virtual interviews.

Congrats to everyone who matched! Does anyone know if the Match list will be released?

from what i saw:

-more internal med than family med
-several obgyn
-several psychiatry
-several peds
-1 derm
-1 anesthesiology
-1 pm&r

i noticed too that inside of the fam med/IM chunk are a lot of programs that are really well respected. there was also quite a bit of diversity as far as location; definitely a good chunk of people getting out of the gulf south even though obviously there are a lot that choose to stay in that area!
Any tips for matching into California?

okay so here's the match list transcribed from the video. forgive me if i missed anyone or miscounted!

Emergency Medicine (13)
Advent Health Florida Orlando, FL
East Central Mississippi Health Meridian, MS
3x LSU HSC Shreveport, LA
Orange Park Med Center Orange Park, FL
Merit Health Wesley Hattiesburg, MS
Geisinger Health System Danville, PA
Baylor University Med Center Dallas, TX
2x University Hospital Jackson, MS
Kaweah Delta Health Care District Visalia, CA
Swedish Hospital Chicago, FL

Internal Medicine (25)
Methodist Health System Dallas, TX
Trinity Health System Stubenville, OH
2x LSU SOM New Orleans, LA
3x Baptist Memorial Hospital North MS Oxford, MS
2x North Mississippi Med Center Tupelo, MS
Eisenhower Army Med Center Fort Gordon, GA
Naval Med Center Portsmouth, VA
Baylor S&W All Saints Med Center Ft Worth, TX
University of Nevada Reno, NV
Baptist Memorial Hospital Golden Triangle Columbus, MS
University of Texas HSC San Antonio, TX
Baptist Memorial Med Education Jonesboro, AR
Ochsner Clinic Foundation New Orleans, LA
HCA Healthcare East FL Division Miami, FL
Kessler Air Force Base Biloxi, MS
HCA Houston Healthcare Houston, TX
Mercy Health - St Ritas Med Center Lima, OH
Walter Reed Army Medical Center Bethesda, MD
Medical College of Georgia Augusta, GA
University at Buffalo SOM Buffalo, NY
LSUHSC University Hospital & Clinics Lafayette, LA

Family Medicine (25)
2x Baton Rouge Gen Med Center Baton Rouge, LA
North Mississippi Med Center Tupelo, MS
University Hospital Jackson, MS
2x East Jefferson General Hospital Metairie, LA
Indiana Regional Med Center Indiana, PA
Honor Health Scottsdale, AZ
3x LSU SOM New Orleans, LA
Marian Regional Med Center Santa Maria, CA
PIH Health Hospital Downey, CA
HCA Healthcare Medical Center Arlington, TX
3x East Central Mississippi Health Meridian, MS
2x Forrest General Hospital Hattiesburg, MS
St John’s Episcopal Hospital Far Rockaway, NY
University of Tennessee Health Science Center Memphis, TN
Mississippi Med Ed Research Consortium Greenville, MS
Mayo Clinic La Crosse, WI
Union Hospital Terre Haute, IN
Riverside Community Hospital Riverside, CA

Psychiatry (4)
Mississippi State Hospital Whitfield, MS
St Lukes Hospital Bethlehem, PA
OBH Brookdale University Hospital Med Center Brooklyn, NY
Kern Med Center Bakersfield, CA

Ob/Gyn (3)
OhioHealth - Doctors Hospital Columbus, OH
Ascension Genesys Hospital Grand Blanc, MI
St Josephs University Med Center Paterson, NJ

PM&R (2)
Indiana University Indianapolis, IN
LSU SOM New Orleans, LA

Dermatology (1)
St Joseph Mercy Clinton Township, MI

Radiation Oncology (1)
SUNY Upstate Med Syracuse, NY

Anesthesiology (1)
Cleveland Clinic Cleveland, OH

Pediatrics (6)
Nemours Children's Hospital Orlando, FL
2x Our Lady of the Lake Regional Med Center Baton Rouge, LA
Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus, OH

Pathology A&C (1)
UMass Chan Medical School Worcester, MA

Transitional Year (2)
Memorial Healthcare System FL Pembroke Pines, FL

Prelim Gen Surg (1)

Last edited:
okay so here's the match list transcribed from the video. forgive me if i missed anyone or miscounted!

Emergency Medicine (13)
Advent Health Florida Orlando, FL
East Central Mississippi Health Meridian, MS
3x LSU HSC Shreveport, LA
Orange Park Med Center Orange Park, FL
Geisinger Health System Danville, PA
Baylor University Med Center Dallas, TX
Kaweah Delta Health Care District Visalia, CA
Swedish Hospital Chicago, FL

Internal Medicine (25)
Methodist Health System Dallas, TX
Trinity Health System Stubenville, OH
2x LSU SOM New Orleans, LA
3x Baptist Memorial Hospital North MS Oxford, MS
2x North Mississippi Med Center Tupelo, MS
Eisenhower Army Med Center Fort Gordon, GA
Naval Med Center Portsmouth, VA
Baylor S&W All Saints Med Center Ft Worth, TX
University of Nevada Reno, NV
Baptist Memorial Hospital Golden Triangle Columbus, MS
University of Texas HSC San Antonio, TX
Baptist Memorial Med Education Jonesboro, AR
Ochsner Clinic Foundation New Orleans, LA
HCA Healthcare East FL Division Miami, FL
HCA Houston Healthcare Houston, TX
Mercy Health - St Ritas Med Center Lima, OH
Walter Reed Army Medical Center Bethesda, MD
Medical College of Georgia Augusta, GA
University at Buffalo SOM Buffalo, NY
LSUHSC University Hospital & Clinics Lafayette, LA

Family Medicine (25)
2x Baton Rouge Gen Med Center Baton Rouge, LA
North Mississippi Med Center Tupelo, MS
University Hospital Jackson, MS
2x East Jefferson General Hospital Metairie, LA
Indiana Regional Med Center Indiana, PA
Honor Health Scottsdale, AZ
3x LSU SOM New Orleans, LA
Marian Regional Med Center Santa Maria, CA
PIH Health Hospital Downey, CA
HCA Healthcare Medical Center Arlington, TX
3x East Central Mississippi Health Meridian, MS
2x Forrest General Hospital Hattiesburg, MS
St John’s Episcopal Hospital Far Rockaway, NY
University of Tennessee Health Science Center Memphis, TN
Mississippi Med Ed Research Consortium Greenville, MS
Mayo Clinic La Crosse, WI
Union Hospital Terre Haute, IN
Riverside Community Hospital Riverside, CA

Psychiatry (4)
Mississippi State Hospital Whitfield, MS
St Lukes Hospital Bethlehem, PA
OBH Brookdale University Hospital Med Center Brooklyn, NY
Kern Med Center Bakersfield, CA

Ob/Gyn (3)
OhioHealth - Doctors Hospital Columbus, OH
Ascension Genesys Hospital Grand Blanc, MI
St Josephs University Med Center Paterson, NJ

PM&R (1)
Indiana University Indianapolis, IN

Dermatology (1)
St Joseph Mercy Clinton Township, MI

Radiation Oncology (1)
SUNY Upstate Med Syracuse, NY

Anesthesiology (1)
Cleveland Clinic Cleveland, OH

Pediatrics (6)
Nemours Children's Hospital Orlando, FL
2x Our Lady of the Lake Regional Med Center Baton Rouge, LA
Nationwide Children’s Hospital Columbus, OH

Pathology A&C (1)
UMass Chan Medical School Worcester, MA

Transitional Year (2)
Memorial Healthcare System FL Pembroke Pines, FL

Prelim Gen Surg (1)
There was one more PM&R at LSU New Orleans

One prior grad matched derm at EVMS and one person matched Vasc surgery at Penn State, they were a Gen prelim last year...

Last edited:
does anyone know roughly what % of people get accepted from the interviews ? is it 50 50

Any advice to do well on the interview ? Im super nervous about it.
relax! eat a good meal the morning of and have a glass of water nearby! be prepared but not scripted for the obvious questions… why med, why DO, etc. look over the interview feedback questions on SDN… especially with regards to the ethical question. my interview was more question and answer but still very laid-back and comfortable; others have had more conversational ones. be confident that out of the thousands of primaries they received, they sent secondaries to a *very* small percentage and interview invites to an even smaller percentage. so you’re already at the finish line; your interview is just your chance to push your app over the line! good luck!

WCUCOM 99% Match Rate for class of 2022 😍🙌

Do we know original size of the class of 22? I counted 85 matches so I'm assuming 100?
from the interview presentation i believe it was 100. from the presentation, it looks like they seated 100/class up until the class seated in 2020, where they sat 150. they’ve increased by 25 seats year over year since then, seating 200 in the class matriculating august 2022.

2 weren't from the Class of 22 originally so it looks like the 4 year, post-match, pre-scramble placement rate is 83% then? Am I reading that right?
Yea accounting for attrition, and some people repeating years and such

Hey guys I am planning on visiting the school and the town soon!
I just want to ask if there is any custom that I should be aware of, given that I was not raised in a Christian country and I have never been to a Christian school? I generally adapt to places very well but just want to check if there's something I should be knowing now before the visit.
I really appreciate any input you have!

Hey guys I am planning on visiting the school and the town soon!
I just want to ask if there is any custom that I should be aware of, given that I was not raised in a Christian country and I have never been to a Christian school? I generally adapt to places very well but just want to check if there's something I should be knowing now before the visit.
I really appreciate any input you have!
Hi there! I'm not a current student but I attended religious schools for 13 years. I'd say the only things to not do are be scantily clad when on campus (tops and bottoms are of an appropriate length/cover the necessary body parts for your gender) and that your clothes shouldn't have offensive phrases or pictures. I'd also try to watch your language, as in not cursing. I like to think of it as how you would dress and act if you were visiting a very new friend's home for the first time and meeting their family. You're gonna be great :)

Hello, does anyone know how I could go about setting up to go see a tour of the school? Is there a number I should call? Thank you!

Just withdrew my seat this morning, hope it goes to one of you!

Hey everyone! I’m a current OMS-1 and I just wanted to share a couple of my favorite places for the peeps looking to visit before orientation.
If you like coffee I have to recommend making a trip to Equinox, they have a lot of options and they get their beans from a local roaster. It’s also a pretty chill study spot.
The best restaurant I’ve tried so far has to be the Depot Kitchen & Market, it’s a little pricey but I think it’s worth it every once in a while. There’s also The Midtowner, it’s a pretty awesome breakfast place; also it’s in an area with a lot of other food options and a super good milkshake bar called The Yard.
Again congratulations on being accepted and if you have any questions about the school or Hattiesburg in general feel free to hit me up!

Is there dedicated time for board exams preparation?