2017-2018 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would anyone tell me if I have a good chance of getting into this school? Also does this school screen out for low MCAT?
Stats mcat 498: 125, 121,126,126 GPA:3.96, one publication, Biochemistry major, urm Hispanic, Texas resident.
Maybe, but I don't know if they would screen for unbalanced section scores. I got 499 (124, 125, 126,124) and I was invited for an interview here which I ended up declining because I got accepted to two other DO schools. At the same time I'm an URM, so I don't if that helped me or not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe, but I don't know if they would screen for unbalanced section scores. I got 499 (124, 125, 126,124) and I was invited for an interview here which I ended up declining because I got accepted to two other DO schools. At the same time I'm an URM, so I don't if that helped me or not.

thanks for the advice

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I put my deposit down recently and I was just wondering when to expect the acceptance package or more information the school, e.g. setting up financial aid, student portal, etc. - can anyone provide some insight to this?

When do we need to pay the deposit after being accepted?
I know they send stuff in the mail, but does the 14 days start from receipt of the physical OFFICIAL mailed acceptance letter? or after the phone call? or should I just call them lol

When do we need to pay the deposit after being accepted?
I know they send stuff in the mail, but does the 14 days start from receipt of the physical OFFICIAL mailed acceptance letter? or after the phone call? or should I just call them lol

Technically it's 14 days from when they dated the physical mailed acceptance letter. For me, this was the same day that they called me, so to be on the safe side, I'd say within 14 days of the call.

Last edited:
Technically it's 14 days from when they dated the physical mailed acceptance letter. For me, this was the same day that they called me, so to be on the safe side, I'd say within 14 days of the call.

Does it explicitly say on the mailed letter when it’s due? Trying to time this out to avoid paying multiple deposits

- I’m a potato.

Does it explicitly say on the mailed letter when it’s due? Trying to time this out to avoid paying multiple deposits

- I’m a potato.

It said 14 days from the date of the letter in the actual letter - if you need more time, I'd suggest contacting Ms. Donna Day, she's really helpful!

Remember guys, keep this school as your last option. If you have a better option take it, even if you have paid the deposit.
I would disagree. I would much rather go here than any of the newer DO schools such ICOM or any of the Touro’s or LUCOM. The older more established programs(pcom, nyitcom, nova, midwestern etc) sure but this shouldn’t be a last option for anyone lol.!

Reactions: 1 users
I would disagree. I would much rather go here than any of the newer DO schools such ICOM or any of the Touro’s or LUCOM. The older more established programs(pcom, nyitcom, nova, midwestern etc) sure but this shouldn’t be a last option for anyone lol.!
LUCOM is doing very well. It may not have a great reputation because of its undergrad campus but LUCOM is different and is doing great. Touro is currently in decline but I would say is about equal to the level of Carey. New schools are risky but that doesn't make them bad, they could very well be an awesome school but its unlikely. You see you have to weight out risk, reputation and performance over time. Do that and you would find that Carey, Touros, LECOM-B and any brand new DO school are all about at the same level. You really can't pick one over another. If you passed up LUCOM for Carey, that would not have been a good choice.

Remember guys, keep this school as your last option. If you have a better option take it, even if you have paid the deposit.

....I don't know if I can agree with this statement. I had the opportunity to attend a few schools and interviewed at a few more. If you have a chance to get out and see several other places then you will know that every school has its own unique pros and cons; Carey is no different. As a whole, however, WCUCOM is a solid program and they will give you a chance to succeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently attend WCUCOM. By "I had the opportunity to attend a few schools" I meant I had a few acceptances and several interviews. I was able to take what I saw from each school during those interviews and compare each program to the best of my abilities. I chose WCUCOM and I do not regret it. I am not alone in this feeling either. It's truly unfortunate your time here has been less than pleasant, but I felt like they were pretty upfront and honest about the mission of their program and how they intend to train doctors. I know several current residents from here, and despite the issues associated with being some of the first classes at a new school back around 2010-2012ish, they were able to achieve their goals. In talking with them it seems the school has finally settled into a groove and now, with the hard work of those first residents, is beginning to establish a positive reputation as a place to train. Hopefully, we can continue to build upon that.

Reactions: 2 users
The main problem with this school is that facultyhave more power then deans
I currently attend WCUCOM. By "I had the opportunity to attend a few schools" I meant I had a few acceptances and several interviews. I was able to take what I saw from each school during those interviews and compare each program to the best of my abilities. I chose WCUCOM and I do not regret it. I am not alone in this feeling either. It's truly unfortunate your time here has been less than pleasant, but I felt like they were pretty upfront and honest about the mission of their program and how they intend to train doctors. I know several current residents from here, and despite the issues associated with being some of the first classes at a new school back around 2010-2012ish, they were able to achieve their goals. In talking with them it seems the school has finally settled into a groove and now, with the hard work of those first residents, is beginning to establish a positive reputation as a place to train. Hopefully, we can continue to build upon that.
Lol you sound like a faculty member. I cant even see your history. I wouldnt be surprised if one of the faculty members made an account like they did last year.

You do talk like a faculty member and last year there were faculty that made an account and posed as students for two reasons, to counter act the decenting voices with an all positive message and to identify students on the forum and punish them and they did trick a few and confronted them not sure if disciplinary action was just threatened or if they were punished but either way its not ok.

Now on the assumption you are a misinformed student ...
Be careful about the success stories from a generation of students that had a match system that protected them. YOU DON'T HAVE THIS. You will not have the Aoa match, only military and the ACGME match ( or NRMP). This is a very competitive process and you will be competing with the best without the tools that make your competition so awesome. Where they have multiple publications you if you are very lucky may get to write up a case report. Where they have faculty in every specialty to talk to for advice and letter of rec, you don't. Where they have classwork that teaches them to master all levels of the USMLE, you have to not only take COMLEX but have to deal with a school that actively interferes and advises against you from even taking the USMLE step 1 or 2. Where they have rotations that expose them to tons of pathology, compares them to other students, has a MSPE that describes all of this in detail so program directors can understand their education and allows them to work under the intern-resident system, you will be lucky to meet a resident and you have a MSPE that is not descriptive and looks like it was written by your dad and is commonly disregarded by program directors. They also go to schools that have awesome reputations, you go to a school that people mistake for William and Mary.
What you will have to deal with they never did, they had opportunities you never will. They didn't have to compete with the best nor did they have to compete with as many applicants. Be careful not to think you will be as fortunate.

Now I am not saying this to take a dump on all your future dreams and plans but wake you up so you can be prepared. Have realistic goals for specialties that you can get into. ( FYI thats not Derm, ortho, opthal, neurosurgery ect super competitive cream specialty ) Prep now to take all 3 COMLEX levels and both Step 1 and Step 2 of the USMLE. If you are interested in any field that has even a hint of being competitive be ready to apply broadly, get the idea of a residency in a set state out of your head and if you don't hit the right board scores have a good back up plan.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you attend this school or did you just interview here? If you do not attend the school then you can't comment saying about the prps or cons. If you look at last year thread, I thought this school was great when I had gotten accepted but thats only cause they tried to impress me as every school it should. But the amount of bs I and other students have to deal with outweighs the pros. If I could start over I wish I had gotten worldchanger advice sooner and would have went somewhere else. The med school you go to does matter.

And why have you attended couple of schools? You must be in a huge debt lol. Pick a school and stick with it
I instantly though... " Do you even go here?" line from mean girls. Sad i know but still made me laugh.
However to say that just because someone doesn't go to a school means they can't comment is incorrect. While it does mean they are more likely to be misinformed they are welcome to talk about the school in a non trollish way if they want to. It also give you the opportunity to correct misinformation and to be friendly and welcoming. Just speak the truth and try your best to filter out your anger or dissatisfaction. I know I haven't been the best at this but you have to let people make their own choices even when you are certain its the wrong choice. If you experience something good or bad from the school, talk about it and discuss it with others. Most of the people on this forum never post but they do read and make choices based on what they read.

Ok. I understand that. It is definitely frustrating. But you just described issues that all DO schools without a research hospital affiliation have (pretty much all of them). The attendance policy seems to be the #1 most complained about issue. Makes sense--listening to someone read a slide you could have burned through in 10% of the time it took in the lecture while at the library is annoying as hell.

WCUCOM is pretty straightforward. They didn't make me any promises of derm/ortho. They told me that I will have a DO. Their mission is to make general practitioners in the rural south. If you wanted to be a plastic surgeon or derm physician in Beverly Hills living in a mansion, wrong school, right? They told me I could do whatever I wanted with my career, but that their funding will go towards training primary care doctors in rural areas. If I wanted to be a killer sub-special surgeon in NYC conducting top tier research, its possible, but that is not what they are tailoring my education to achieve. They want me to be a gen surg (assuming surgery for this example) working in the middle of nowhere in the rural south. Thats their mission.

If you go here expecting derm, I mean seriously, cmon. They DONT have a research building. Look at the match data for derm and how many pubs needed. 99% of MD schools have large numbers of faculty that have their own lab and do bench research, teaching is on the side.

Derm is possible, anything is possible.

Is derm likely--hell no.

Reactions: 3 users
Now on the assumption you are a misinformed student ...
Be careful about the success stories from a generation of students that had a match system that protected them. YOU DON'T HAVE THIS. You will not have the Aoa match, only military and the ACGME match ( or NRMP). This is a very competitive process and you will be competing with the best without the tools that make your competition so awesome. Where they have multiple publications you if you are very lucky may get to write up a case report. Where they have faculty in every specialty to talk to for advice and letter of rec, you don't. Where they have classwork that teaches them to master all levels of the USMLE, you have to not only take COMLEX but have to deal with a school that actively interferes and advises against you from even taking the USMLE step 1 or 2. Where they have rotations that expose them to tons of pathology, compares them to other students, has a MSPE that describes all of this in detail so program directors can understand their education and allows them to work under the intern-resident system, you will be lucky to meet a resident and you have a MSPE that is not descriptive and looks like it was written by your dad and is commonly disregarded by program directors. They also go to schools that have awesome reputations, you go to a school that people mistake for William and Mary.
What you will have to deal with they never did, they had opportunities you never will. They didn't have to compete with the best nor did they have to compete with as many applicants. Be careful not to think you will be as fortunate.

Now I am not saying this to take a dump on all your future dreams and plans but wake you up so you can be prepared. Have realistic goals for specialties that you can get into. ( FYI thats not Derm, ortho, opthal, neurosurgery ect super competitive cream specialty ) Prep now to take all 3 COMLEX levels and both Step 1 and Step 2 of the USMLE. If you are interested in any field that has even a hint of being competitive be ready to apply broadly, get the idea of a residency in a set state out of your head and if you don't hit the right board scores have a good back up plan.

My friends that are residents all matched into NRMP programs.

This is a general question but does apply to WCUCOM so I will try to tailor it as such.

I want to be a primary care physician, and I plan on attending here in the fall if I don't get pulled off the waitlist elsewhere, and my question is how hard is it to to come out of WCUCOM and land a nice residency in a desireable location for a primary care spot? I'm assuming residencies in places like Los Angelas, San Diego, New York, San Francisco are hard to get into, but is it unrealsitic coming from WCUCOM? By no means are the family medicine residencies competitive, but with all the connections we are making by rotating in the south, and the lack there of anywhere else, how hard will it be to land a non-desireable residency in one of these desirable locations?

Disclaimer: I have all my family in Southern California and want to eventually practice here if I can. As of now I want to be a FP or Psych, but am a little nervous that it'll be hard to move back to California for medicine once I leave.

This is a general question but does apply to WCUCOM so I will try to tailor it as such.

I want to be a primary care physician, and I plan on attending here in the fall if I don't get pulled off the waitlist elsewhere, and my question is how hard is it to to come out of WCUCOM and land a nice residency in a desireable location for a primary care spot? I'm assuming residencies in places like Los Angelas, San Diego, New York, San Francisco are hard to get into, but is it unrealsitic coming from WCUCOM? By no means are the family medicine residencies competitive, but with all the connections we are making by rotating in the south, and the lack there of anywhere else, how hard will it be to land a non-desireable residency in one of these desirable locations?

Disclaimer: I have all my family in Southern California and want to eventually practice here if I can. As of now I want to be a FP or Psych, but am a little nervous that it'll be hard to move back to California for medicine once I leave.
Trying to stick to a set region is difficult coming out of any school that doesn't have a home program where you want to be. West coast is tough. It by no means impossible but tough. To say FM is non desirable is not correct, lots of people want to do FM. There are just way more spots than people except in place like where you are looking although I bet there are some programs that don't fill up somewhere in there. You haven't even started med school yet, stuff happens that may change your mind about what you what to do and where you want to do it so don't worry about this yet. Nothing is stopping you from doing residency anywhere else in the country and moving to SOcal once you finish either. Chill and don't worry about this. It will work out once you get to that stage.

I will partially agree with world changer on this one. I am OMS4 participating in the NRMP in primary care. There are rarely if ever spots left open in good primary care programs in destination cities. For example, during second look, my top choice program brought 13 interviewees back and disclosed to us they had 1800+ applicants for 8 spots. Historically their 8 spots have been filled with their top 10 applicants. The good news is if you have a connection with a certain area, from my experience it is a strong help. I got a lot of love from the programs in my home state and made it a point to tell them how I can’t wait to move back. So in your case California is a good possibility of you have family there. Training residents requires significant resources on the part of the program. It is in the best interest of a hospital system to retain the residents they have groomed, which is why an applicant with a connection to an area, who is likely to stay and practice in the area after residency is an appealing prospect. Of course you need to be a good applicant.

Focus on your studies, work hard on your rotations, do an AI back in Cali and you can make it happen. Best of luck.

Just found out this morning I’m accepted!!!!! For some reason they called my dad at his office first??? But he got to give me the news which I guess is unique! Just interviewed on Monday (2/26)! So excited! I loved it here. :)

Reactions: 3 users
@WorldChanger36 @theoriginalsandman Thank you guys for the responses!

This question goes to anyone who did well on the USMLE step 1, what recourses/how did you study for that? I want to score decent on the step 1 (not necessarily great), and I have heard preperation at WCUCOM is almost all towards the COMLEX. Other than studying your classes and doing well in them, for the people here what recourses did you use to prepare? I plan on buying first aid and supplementing my classes with that, and then from what other people recommended aparently UWorld and Pathoma are great recourses as well. I would like to do well on hopefully both the COMLEX and the STEP 1, and want to have a head start on the STEP 1 since that is what WCUCOM prepares for the least of the 2.

This question goes to anyone who did well on the USMLE step 1, what recourses/how did you study for that? I want to score decent on the step 1 (not necessarily great), and I have heard preperation at WCUCOM is almost all towards the COMLEX. Other than studying your classes and doing well in them, for the people here what recourses did you use to prepare? I plan on buying first aid and supplementing my classes with that, and then from what other people recommended aparently UWorld and Pathoma are great recourses as well. I would like to do well on hopefully both the COMLEX and the STEP 1, and want to have a head start on the STEP 1 since that is what WCUCOM prepares for the least of the 2.
I second tealeafexplorer. I would love to get advise on this as well. As a DO what is the best course to take to do well on Step 1?

TBH wcucom doesn't even gear you towards COMLEX. Don't believe me just look at the pass rate and match list.
To prepare for step 1 (and comlex) just pick a couple of resources and stick with it. Its not really that hard as people make it out to be. The hard thing is to find time doing board prep while in classes.
Vital Statistics | William Carey University
Is this info wrong?? It does seem like their complex performance has improved quite a bit since their first class... I know that WCUCOM is not the best medical school but why all this hate?

Vital Statistics | William Carey University
Is this info wrong?? It does seem like their complex performance has improved quite a bit since their first class... I know that WCUCOM is not the best medical school but why all this hate?

I agree they do have high 1st time pass rates, but if i remember correctly while reading on this forum a little while back, they have a decently high attrition rate, a decently high rate of students that fail a class and have to re-take which pushes back the time they take the boards, and they highly encourage students that they think wont pass to not take it until they are ready. I don't know exact numbers however.

So while they may have higher 1st time pass rates that some other schools, i dont think the scores produced by the students are very high on the comlex.

And in general i think board scores are, yes, related to how much the school prepares them, but also related to the students that are attracted to the schools. I am not putting down anyone who is a D.O. or is attending D.O. school, but in general, the students who go to M.D. schools are slightly smarter students. They have higher GPA's, and MCAT scores. So they perform better on Boards because they are generally just smarter individuals. However they also have the added benefit that many M.D. programs are board based curriculums as well. I think its a mixture of both.

I second tealeafexplorer. I would love to get advise on this as well. As a DO what is the best course to take to do well on Step 1?

There are lots of great forum on this stuff (Usmle and comlex forums). I recommend you look there because this isnt one.

Do average on boards as in the high 210s - 220s area, do an audition at 2-3 three of your dream FM programs in Cali that normally take residents with Step 1 and Step 2 ranges 210s-220s, and be a friendly, nice, and helpful person.

How feasible is it to do most 3rd year rotations at forrest general in hattiesburg?

Brand new 3rd year here. Let me know if you have any questions. I will be posting a school review of 2nd year and the post tornado recovery review. I am happy to answer most questions about the school and my experiences.

What was the interview format and what questions did they ask you?

I had multiple rotations @ FGH both 3rd and 4th year. 4th year rotations are really on you to plan. After my AIs early in the year I managed to get all the rest of my rotations in Hattiesburg with several @ FGH. All of my previous preceptors took me back 4th year.
Things have changed a bit from when you were a 3rd and 4th year. Currently FGH has one rotation for 3rd years, it is trauma surgery and its availability is very limited. Schools relationship with FGH has declined over the last two years. Many 3rd year rotations are set up at Wesley. 4th year you could do some rotations at FGH.
How feasible is it to do most 3rd year rotations at forrest general in hattiesburg?
So as stated above not so likely to happen but thing do change from year to year. However the point of rotations is to get out a see and do things from a varity of different clinical perspectives. If you did more than 1 or 2 rotations at FGH you would be doing yourself a disservice. It is also my hope you are not thinking of going to school at Carey with the hope of doing rotations at FGH because it very well may not be available to you when your turn comes. Keep in mind Carey does not have a home program like other schools do. 3rd year is preceptor based clinical rotations, most of the time you are seeing outpatient settings and from the perspective of an attending not a resident. This is very different than many other programs and it has ups and downs that you should hash out.

What was the interview format and what questions did they ask you?
Well hello to you too.... But seriously wouldn't this be a question better answered by someone that recently interviewed not someone that did this 3 or so years ago? .... You can scroll back and read a few of the earlier posts and get some great answers to your questions. If you really still want to know what they asked me I would be happy to tell you.

When in your second year, and for how long does Carey give you time for boards prep? Is it study on your own prep so we can study for USMLE, or do they force you to study for the COMLEX?

Things have changed a bit from when you were a 3rd and 4th year. Currently FGH has one rotation for 3rd years, it is trauma surgery and its availability is very limited. Schools relationship with FGH has declined over the last two years. Many 3rd year rotations are set up at Wesley. 4th year you could do some rotations at FGH.

So as stated above not so likely to happen but thing do change from year to year. However the point of rotations is to get out a see and do things from a varity of different clinical perspectives. If you did more than 1 or 2 rotations at FGH you would be doing yourself a disservice. It is also my hope you are not thinking of going to school at Carey with the hope of doing rotations at FGH because it very well may not be available to you when your turn comes. Keep in mind Carey does not have a home program like other schools do. 3rd year is preceptor based clinical rotations, most of the time you are seeing outpatient settings and from the perspective of an attending not a resident. This is very different than many other programs and it has ups and downs that you should hash out.

Not sure where you got the info but, that statement about FGH is in no way accurate. I am a current fourth-year student. This year alone I have had third-year students rotating with me on 2 different rotations at FGH (including my current rotation) which were not trauma. I would also consider my rotations at FGH to be both challenging and rewarding. There is an opportunity to do an inpatient AI @ FGH if that’s something your into. You are likely rotating at a seperate Hubsite.
You are correct in that many rotations are scheduled at Wesley, which is IMO a poor experience in general with exception of a few preceptors.
I would also agree with your statement about not picking at school with the specific intention on rotating it at FGH because it could in fact change in the future but as for now to be factual there are multiple rptation opportunites at that location.

Not sure where you got the info but, that statement about FGH is in no way accurate. I am a current fourth-year student. This year alone I have had third-year students rotating with me on 2 different rotations at FGH (including my current rotation) which were not trauma. I would also consider my rotations at FGH to be both challenging and rewarding. There is an opportunity to do an inpatient AI @ FGH if that’s something your into. You are likely rotating at a seperate Hubsite.
You are correct in that many rotations are scheduled at Wesley, which is IMO a poor experience in general with exception of a few preceptors.
I would also agree with your statement about not picking at school with the specific intention on rotating it at FGH because it could in fact change in the future but as for now to be factual there are multiple rptation opportunites at that location.
Well that changed. Whats available there?

Did anybody get a "No final decision" made on their application after Interviewing? I got one back in Jan. and never got a final decision.

Did anybody get a "No final decision" made on their application after Interviewing? I got one back in Jan. and never got a final decision.
Always wondered how many people get these each year.... Could it be that you did get a final decision but due to a grammar error you didn't get the message? I mean is it "No final decision" or "No, final decision" ? Two very different meanings you would agree. You should call and ask them to clear that up for you as it could be easily misunderstood. Then you will know.

Well that changed. Whats available there?

I have seen people in ER, Trauma surg, Gen Surg (4th yrs or preference with ppl you know), Family (4th yrs), Ortho (less affiliated but still call, rounding, and surgery there), Hattiesburg clinic attached is technically FGH but out pt, and there we do sports med, ortho, and PM&R there and I think nephrology too but I'd have to confirm.
I think we have a lot more options than the school originally leads us to believe, but asking the rotations dept and working with them closely can help find gems.

Last edited:
In case anyone was curious, as of 2/26, there are 40 spots filled (35 male/5 female)

I think those numbers might be a little old. I just talked to my friend in that class and she said there are about 60 people in the facebook group. She also said it's about 50/50 guy/girl, but some people haven't responded yet to the group invite, and that the welcoming committee people said interviews were not concluding until May.

*Edited to add, I missed where you said "As of 2/26..." my bad.

I think those numbers might be a little old. I just talked to my friend in that class and she said there are about 60 people in the facebook group. She also said it's about 50/50 guy/girl, but some people haven't responded yet to the group invite, and that the welcoming committee people said interviews were not concluding until May.

*Edited to add, I missed where you said "As of 2/26..." my bad.

No problem. Thanks for the input.

the welcoming committee people said interviews were not concluding until May.

Really? I recently got an II and they only gave me one interview day option which is in April. Do they typically offer people only one day when they have other days available?