2018-2019 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It depends on acceptance date. They follow AACOM’s traffic day guideline. I posted it earlier in the thread

wait do all DO schools follow this????

Members don't see this ad.

wow that's super frustrating that you can't see it until you pay the $1,000. I was hoping that looking over the CHC's would help me make a decision when traffic day comes but I guess not.

I guess you can try calling and ask what would be available to you to try avoiding the $1000. Many others are on the same boat.

I guess you can try calling and ask what would be available to you to try avoiding the $1000. Many others are on the same boat.
Yeah it's just weird because I specifically asked the admissions office this at my interview and they said they would send it out in an email to everyone accepted. They did say you could only rank them after paying the deposit though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone remember how long they said it would take for acceptance calls to go out? If I'm not mistaken they said 3 weeks and today is the 3 week mark for those of us that interviewed on 9/14

Does anyone remember how long they said it would take for acceptance calls to go out? If I'm not mistaken they said 3 weeks and today is the 3 week mark for those of us that interviewed on 9/14
I think they are behind, because people from 8/24 just found out yesterday.

Reactions: 1 users
For anyone wondering about CHC assignments, you need to pay the $1000 deposit FIRST before receiving the email that leads you to all the information. In the email it states that "CHC assignments are made in the order that the first deposits are received." So it seems the deposit payment determines your priority for site locations, which is both a disadvantage and an advantage. It sucks that you have to pay in order to get the info, but at least you can take your time on making a decision once you do.

They have 12 sites:
Mesa/Phoenix, AZ
Ridgeland, SC
Tuscon, AZ
Visalia, CA
Renton, WA
Mt. Orab, OH
Chicago, IL
Flagstaff, AZ
Portland, OR
Washington, D.C.
Wai'anae, HI
Brooklyn, NY (Surprised to see this one cause I could've sworn from the 17-18 forum that they got rid of this. Don't know if they've brought it back or the link they shared is not updated)

Last edited:
For anyone wondering about CHC assignments, you need to pay the $1000 deposit FIRST before receiving the email that leads you to all the information. In the email it states that "CHC assignments are made in the order that the first deposits are received." So it seems the deposit payment determines your priority for site locations, which is both a disadvantage and an advantage. It sucks that you have to pay in order to get the info, but at least you can take your time on making a decision once you do. As of today, it doesn't seem like I can send in my preferences even if I paid already.

They have 12 sites:
Mesa/Phoenix, AZ
Ridgeland, SC
Tuscon, AZ
Visalia, CA
Renton, WA
Mt. Orab, OH
Chicago, IL
Flagstaff, AZ
Portland, OR
Washington, D.C.
Wai'anae, HI
Brooklyn, NY (Surprised to see this one cause I could've sworn from the 17-18 forum that they got rid of this. Don't know if they've brought it back or the link they shared is not updated)

Wait,I was able to submit my preferences..

For anyone wondering about CHC assignments, you need to pay the $1000 deposit FIRST before receiving the email that leads you to all the information. In the email it states that "CHC assignments are made in the order that the first deposits are received." So it seems the deposit payment determines your priority for site locations, which is both a disadvantage and an advantage. It sucks that you have to pay in order to get the info, but at least you can take your time on making a decision once you do.

They have 12 sites:
Mesa/Phoenix, AZ
Ridgeland, SC
Tuscon, AZ
Visalia, CA
Renton, WA
Mt. Orab, OH
Chicago, IL
Flagstaff, AZ
Portland, OR
Washington, D.C.
Wai'anae, HI
Do they tell you how many slots are left?

Members don't see this ad :)
It was a mix, guess there were some leftovers from 8/24. My point was I think they are very behind lol.

I think people were posting what time they were called but not saying that they were called this week. For example, I said I was called at 5pm but I was in the first group of acceptances from a few weeks ago.

I think people were posting what time they were called but not saying that they were called this week. For example, I said I was called at 5pm but I was in the first group of acceptances from a few weeks ago.
Ohhhhh I see what they meant now, my bad! Sorry for the false info

That’s pretty awesome that you get full patient encounter your second year!

And for clarification, I’m wondering how your chosen CHC site affects where you will be doing your rotations. Do most people stay within their CHC site locations? And if someone wants to have an audition rotation elsewhere, does ATSU provide support in making that process easier/possible? I hope that makes more sense.

Thanks for responding btw!
Oh ok I think I get more what you are asking. Auditions are their own animal. For core rotations, the CHCs prefer that you stay within your catchment area but for auditions it is more anything goes. They understand that students will be applying to residencies all over the country and that we will need to travel for auditions and interviews. None of my interviews are in my catchment area. You can ask for guidance regarding where the best options may be to apply for auditions but it is up to you to apply to them.
Some electives/selectives can also be done outside the catchment area in years 3 and 4 (some sites are more strict than others) but you are responsible to set these up on your own.

Any news from 9/14 interviews?!

Y’all I’m getting my interviews and schools mixed up. Does this school provide students with iPads?

Is today the day??????
I just talked to admissions, they said they are behind and we should be hearing back "very soon hopefully" whatever that means lol

Reactions: 2 users
I just talked to admissions, they said they are behind and we should be hearing back "very soon hopefully" whatever that means lol
“Hopefully” lmao!

This wait is worse than the night before the MCAT. :bang:

Reactions: 3 users
Got an interview invite today. They wanted to do a teleconference interview rather than a campus one. Anyone else in the same boat??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Got an interview invite today. They wanted to do a teleconference interview rather than a campus one. Anyone else in the same boat??

I think there was one person earlier on page 10-11 of this thread that got a one hour teleconference interview invite for early October (probably already had it)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Maybe you are just super amazing they don’t even need to see your in person? Lol

They have 12 sites:
Mesa/Phoenix, AZ
Ridgeland, SC
Tuscon, AZ
Visalia, CA
Renton, WA
Mt. Orab, OH
Chicago, IL
Flagstaff, AZ
Portland, OR
Washington, D.C.
Wai'anae, HI

I received an email that had a link to the CHC information before I paid my deposit. Just letting everyone know you don't have to rush into the deposit.

Has anyone received a recent in-person II?

Just got an email confirming that I got my #1 CHC preference. Anyone else chose Wai’anae, Hawaii? :)

Wait, when did you submit?
Also, wow hawaii! Any particular reason?

I submitted last Friday on October 5. I felt that the Hawaii CHC's mission/vision aligned with my values/interests/passions. They're very cognizant of the the local's cultural background and incorporate it with their patient care. As a POC, that's really important to me. Other reasons being, I'm from SoCal and I love the West coast culture/Pacific Ocean too much. Hawaii is a new scene but still somewhat familiar. And it's Hawaii! My other two top choices were Seattle and the California CHC.

Those who flew in, how much did Uber charge you from PHX to your hotel?

Looks like there’s at least four new CHCs. Does this mean next years class will be larger? Or 2-4 year cohorts just smaller?

Looks like there’s at least four new CHCs. Does this mean next years class will be larger? Or 2-4 year cohorts just smaller?

Pretty much all the students I spoke with during my interview said they were trying to increase the class size next year! I got a rough estimate of 160.

How many rankings do you have to give for CHCs? like do you have to list ALL of them in your order, or just say preference 1-3? I guess how much should i expect to get my top choice?

Does anyone bring guests to the deans night before the interview? is this the norm or do most people go alone

How many rankings do you have to give for CHCs? like do you have to list ALL of them in your order, or just say preference 1-3? I guess how much should i expect to get my top choice?

Does anyone bring guests to the deans night before the interview? is this the norm or do most people go alone
You have to rank all of them, but I would say almost everybody gets one of the top choices from what I've heard. I got my second choice, and i am on the waitlist for my first choice. A few people brought guests to my Dean's Welcome, feel free if you would like to.