2018-2019 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven’t heard back, I was also really hoping today would be the day!

This wait is awful. I've got my fingers crossed for both of us!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone who interviewed want to explain the speed dating exercise? THANKS

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who interviewed want to explain the speed dating exercise? THANKS
You are just as a station for a few minutes and someone will ask you a questions of sorts. Then you go to the next one.

You are just as a station for a few minutes and someone will ask you a questions of sorts. Then you go to the next one.
What kind of questions? Also can anyone give a general overview of exam day and what kind of questions were asked? TIA

this wait sucks. lol.

Reactions: 1 user
How many “interviews” are there? And do they know our applications?

Hi! What dates are available for recently received II? I am thinking about submitting a last minute secondary and wondering if it's too late...

II today! My secondary was submitted in Aug, but I had some issues with my letters. OOS. I will be interviewing on 12/14. There is at least one date available for each month that I saw.

Hey guys I was complete in July and just now got an II so kinda late to this thread!

I have some questions about the interview because I couldn’t find much on the website. How many MMI stations/how long per station/do you get to take notes? How long is the one on one interview and is it open file?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I was complete in July and just now got an II so kinda late to this thread!

I have some questions about the interview because I couldn’t find much on the website. How many MMI stations/how long per station/do you get to take notes? How long is the one on one interview and is it open file?
also wondering the same thing!!

The MMIs are speed stations, so you have about 3 minutes per station. You sit down face to face with an interviewer and they ask you a wide variety of questions.

The 1:1 interview is open file but they do not have access to transcripts or grades. That lasts about 25 minutes - I just reccomend being prepared to answer the obvious questions.

There are patient simulations which are the more traditional MMIs. In these you have a couple minutes to prepare to address the situation, and in this case you’re welcome to take notes if you’d like. There are also a few group activities.

I hope this helps and best of luck in your interview! Just be yourself and you will do great.

Reactions: 3 users
The MMIs are speed stations, so you have about 3 minutes per station. You sit down face to face with an interviewer and they ask you a wide variety of questions.

The 1:1 interview is open file but they do not have access to transcripts or grades. That lasts about 25 minutes - I just reccomend being prepared to answer the obvious questions.

There are patient simulations which are the more traditional MMIs. In these you have a couple minutes to prepare to address the situation, and in this case you’re welcome to take notes if you’d like. There are also a few group activities.

I hope this helps and best of luck in your interview! Just be yourself and you will do great.
Thank you so much! One more question! So per each MMI speed station you get asked multiple questions or just one?

Thank you so much! One more question! So per each MMI speed station you get asked multiple questions or just one?

mostly just 1 question per station, but really it is super chill, and it isn't stressful, and you can't really prepare for it. just be yourself and answer honestly.

Reactions: 2 users

Exactly what the previous poster said - mostly 1 question but most will ask follow up questions. I know it’s very nerve wracking going into it not knowing exactly how things will go, but you just have to remind yourself that they are just trying to get to know you as a person.

Hey everyone! For the secondary question that asks how my past volunteer experiences have influenced my plans for working with the underserved, do they specifically want ONLY volunteer experiences listed? I have a lot of volunteer work, but it wasn't until I started working as a medical scribe that I actually got a chance to work with underserved patients. Scribing was really the experience that did it for me, but it's a paid experience so Im not sure if I can use that as my main example?

Hey everyone! For the secondary question that asks how my past volunteer experiences have influenced my plans for working with the underserved, do they specifically want ONLY volunteer experiences listed? I have a lot of volunteer work, but it wasn't until I started working as a medical scribe that I actually got a chance to work with underserved patients. Scribing was really the experience that did it for me, but it's a paid experience so Im not sure if I can use that as my main example?

i had the same dilemma, but i ended up putting only volunteer experiences for that question, since that was what was asked.

For the patient simulations, are you role-playing, talking through scenarios, or both?

i had the same dilemma, but i ended up putting only volunteer experiences for that question, since that was what was asked.

Thanks for your reply! Do you mind sharing how you approached this question? I have had 0 volunteer experience with the underserved. Not sure how to get around this :O If anyone else also has advice, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks for your reply! Do you mind sharing how you approached this question? I have had 0 volunteer experience with the underserved. Not sure how to get around this :O If anyone else also has advice, I would really appreciate it!

Your volunteer experiences don't necessarily have to deal with the underserved, and it wouldn't diminish your desire to work with the underserved. Its basically just asking how have your past volunteer experiences prepare you to do so in the future. Think of it as a how has your volunteering experiences helped to foster personal characteristics that would lend well to working with an underserved population (the elderly, low-income neighborhoods, rural areas). For instance you could have volunteered with hospice/retirement facility, which in turn prepares you to work with the elderly who tend to make up a proportion of the underserved population. You could have volunteered at a hospital where you interacted with a lot of people from different backgrounds, i.e. you have experience with "diversity" therefore are more apt to interacting and empathizing with people from all walks of life. Frame it in a way that highlights your strengths.

For the patient simulations, are you role-playing, talking through scenarios, or both?

Because of the NDA I would rather not be too specific on these - it’s not really anything you can prepare for, just be yourself!

Because of the NDA I would rather not be too specific on these - it’s not really anything you can prepare for, just be yourself!

I think this a little too drastic.
They talked about the patient simulation during the Dean’s welcome and the morning of. Sure we can’t tell them the scenario, but otherwise it’s no secret.

It’s a role playing scenario where you get a prompt before entering. Think patient simulations like most medical schools use. I do agree that you can’t really prepare. Just be kind, empathic, and everything else you’d want a doctor to be!

Good luck!

They talked about the patient simulation during the Dean’s welcome and the morning of. Sure we can’t tell them the scenario, but otherwise it’s no secret.

It’s a role playing scenario where you get a prompt before entering. Think patient simulations like most medical schools use. I do agree that you can’t really prepare. Just be kind, empathic, and everything else you’d want a doctor to be!

Good luck!
Thank you for the insight!

Good luck!

I am still waiting to hear back from my interview and would prefer not to do anything to jeopardize it, regardless of how miniscule the likelihood of that happening is.

Your volunteer experiences don't necessarily have to deal with the underserved, and it wouldn't diminish your desire to work with the underserved. Its basically just asking how have your past volunteer experiences prepare you to do so in the future. Think of it as a how has your volunteering experiences helped to foster personal characteristics that would lend well to working with an underserved population (the elderly, low-income neighborhoods, rural areas). For instance you could have volunteered with hospice/retirement facility, which in turn prepares you to work with the elderly who tend to make up a proportion of the underserved population. You could have volunteered at a hospital where you interacted with a lot of people from different backgrounds, i.e. you have experience with "diversity" therefore are more apt to interacting and empathizing with people from all walks of life. Frame it in a way that highlights your strengths.

Thank you so much! This gave me some good ideas :) I really really appreciate your help

You will be fine, I never volunteered with the underserved. In fact where I volunteered was pretty much all rich people. Do what you enjoy doing not what you feel the school 100% wants to see. I was fine and got accepted.

Just interviewed here yesterday and was in awe of this school!! Absolutely loved it!

To answer some of yalls questions:
-There is luggage storage so you can bring it with you on the morning of the interview.
-I would recommend going to the Dean's welcome. This is a chance to find out more info about the school from the student ambassadors there so you go into your interviews knowing more about this school and not just what you have read from their website.
-Lastly, the interview day is amazing and I would recommend just being yourself. The staff really does want you to succeed and find the school that is best for you. If they feel that you fit in here then they will give you amazing feedback.
-Just for the one-on-one interview look up typical med school interview questions because this is the only part that you can prepare for and should prepare for.

Other than that the types of interview styles they use are the ones that are provided above in another post so it's one-on-one, MMI station (patient stimulation stations), MMI rounds (which is like speed dating), Group activity, and then they have presentations throughout the day to inform you more about the school!

I loved that they had this whole philosophy of loving how their program works and wanting to inform you about it so they can find students that love their school as much as they do!!! Good luck to everyone! Yall are going to kill it!

Reactions: 4 users

Totes McWrong, secret squirrel. One can prepare.
1. Know the osteopathic tenets and be able to explain (as in, sort of discretely slip them in) them in a discussion with a patient. Like, “because the STRUCTURE of your whatever is compromised, the FUNCTION is, as well....” or “I prefer to hold off on modality X for now because the body can heal itself”

2. Read The PreMed Playbook

Just interviewed here yesterday and was in awe of this school!! Absolutely loved it!

To answer some of yalls questions:
-There is luggage storage so you can bring it with you on the morning of the interview.
-I would recommend going to the Dean's welcome. This is a chance to find out more info about the school from the student ambassadors there so you go into your interviews knowing more about this school and not just what you have read from their website.
-Lastly, the interview day is amazing and I would recommend just being yourself. The staff really does want you to succeed and find the school that is best for you. If they feel that you fit in here then they will give you amazing feedback.
-Just for the one-on-one interview look up typical med school interview questions because this is the only part that you can prepare for and should prepare for.

Other than that the types of interview styles they use are the ones that are provided above in another post so it's one-on-one, MMI station (patient stimulation stations), MMI rounds (which is like speed dating), Group activity, and then they have presentations throughout the day to inform you more about the school!

I loved that they had this whole philosophy of loving how their program works and wanting to inform you about it so they can find students that love their school as much as they do!!! Good luck to everyone! Yall are going to kill it!

Interviewed on Friday and loved the school as well. I really hope we hear back before thanksgiving....

Interviewed on Friday and loved the school as well. I really hope we hear back before thanksgiving....

did they say how long it'll take until you hear back? interviewed in October, still waiting :(

did they say how long it'll take until you hear back? interviewed in October, still waiting :(

They actually did not mention a specific timeline during the interview. They basically said we will get to you whenever we get to you and that no news is good news. The students told us it’s probably going to take 2-4 weeks. When did you interview in october?

They actually did not mention a specific timeline during the interview. They basically said we will get to you whenever we get to you and that no news is good news. The students told us it’s probably going to take 2-4 weeks. When did you interview in october?

I haven't heard back yet either. Interviewed 10/5.

so why do they ask you about volunteer experience if its already on your primary, do they just want you to pick the ones that were the most important? Could one simply copy+paste from the primary?

Hey guys, so I just got an acceptance call (!!), but the person I spoke with said that they couldn't send me the official acceptance packet just yet, and that I should look out for a follow up to confirm my acceptance. He specified that I was considered accepted and not on the waitlist, but I'm a bit confused by all of this/it sounded like I was not fully accepted yet. Anyone have something similar on their call?

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, so I just got an acceptance call (!!), but the person I spoke with said that they couldn't send me the official acceptance packet just yet, and that I should look out for a follow up to confirm my acceptance. He specified that I was considered accepted and not on the waitlist, but I'm a bit confused by all of this/it sounded like I was not fully accepted yet. Anyone have something similar on their call?
Yes. It makes me nervous. I hope I get more info before Dec. 14 because I have another acceptance and that is the deadline to submit my deposit. However, I really liked Soma and it's probably my top choice, so I hope I don't have to make 2 deposits!

I also received the same call.
I'm just super glad for the acceptance call even though I'm confused. haha

Interviewed 10/26.

Just got the same call today. "You have been offered a full acceptance" is what she said. I think what I gathered from that call is that there aren't seats technically available yet? She said I should expect to hear back from them after the first deposit is due which is Dec 14.

So... I guess this is my first acceptance? haha

Last edited:
My understanding is that they can’t technically let us reserve seats yet as they need to wait to hear back from people who currently have offers. This school has both a waitlist and alternate list and they told me historically they have had very few years they haven’t pulled from the alternate list. I say this to reassure all of you and hopefully clear up confusion!

My understanding is that they can’t technically let us reserve seats yet as they need to wait to hear back from people who currently have offers. This school has both a waitlist and alternate list and they told me historically they have had very few years they haven’t pulled from the alternate list. I say this to reassure all of you and hopefully clear up confusion!

This is exactly what they told us on interview day!

so those of us who got the call today are on the alternate list then?

I just withdrew my acceptance from here- I am sure it will go to one of you deserving individuals!