2018-2019 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an email saying I’ve been accepted pending an open seat since their seats are already filled. Sounds like a fancy way of saying you’ve been wait listed.

Members don't see this ad.

Got an email saying I’ve been accepted pending an open seat since their seats are already filled. Sounds like a fancy way of saying you’ve been wait listed.
If you read above posts, most people are saying differently

Reactions: 1 user

According to the admissions office member who called me, if you were accepted pending an open seat it means the committee voted to accept you. It’s just that right now they’ve already extended enough offers to fill their seats so you’re accepted pending an open seat. There is a deposit deadline coming up (Dec 15th I think) and likely a lot of seats will open up after that and that’s when you’ll get the official acceptance letter.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When did you hear? When did you interview? Thanks

Accepted pending an open seat! Interviewed 11/30!

congrats to all the ones who got accepted! I just attended the Dean's Welcome/Tour today and really liked the school.
Now I only hope the interview part will go well tomorrow. fingers crossed!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted pending an open seat! :happy: Does anyone know which CHCs don't have a waitlist at this point?

Accepted pending an open seat! :happy: Does anyone know which CHCs don't have a waitlist at this point?

Ridgeland, SC
Mt. Orab, OH
Flagstaff, AZ
Portland, OR
Alton, IL
Scranton, PA
Texas

may the odds be ever in your favor

Ridgeland, SC
Mt. Orab, OH
Flagstaff, AZ
Portland, OR
Alton, IL
Scranton, PA
Texas

may the odds be ever in your favor

I don’t think it’s been updated to show on the ranking list just yet but as of yesterday morning, there’s a waitlist for Portland.

Is San Diego a CHC option for the class getting accepted now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is San Diego a CHC option for the class getting accepted now?

Yes, but it is full. I was accepted many months ago and the San Diego area CHC is the one I have chosen!

Congrats! Where is it in San Diego? I was thinking it was probably down by the border.

Congrats! Where is it in San Diego? I was thinking it was probably down by the border.
It is in San Ysidro, right near the border. I am from the area ( a few hours north) so it is perfect!

Interviewed on 12/14, just received an 'accepted pending an open seat' email today (12/21). A little nervous considering the Dec deposit deadline has passed - anyone know if there is another particular date coming up in which a significant number of seats may open?

Interviewed on 12/14, just received an 'accepted pending an open seat' email today (12/21). A little nervous considering the Dec deposit deadline has passed - anyone know if there is another particular date coming up in which a significant number of seats may open?
Yeah I'm in the exact same position. One of the admissions officers told me they've only ever had to refuse a seat to someone "accepted pending a seat" once that he could remember, and there are still several months left for people to get accepted elsewhere, so I'm guessing we will get in eventually. I still can't help but be slightly nervous since the December deposit deadline is already passed, but like I said I'm pretty sure we're ok.

Same here, interviewed 12/14 and accepted pending an open seat today. Did you get this information from the admission's office today? So I shouldn't be worried? It's my first acceptance and I want to celebrate!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone accepted! Does anyone know if decisions are released in batches? Interviewed on 12/14 and haven't heard anything yet.

Interviewed 12/14, got my accepted but pending seats email today too! My first acceptance so I want to celebrate but same boat as everyone else, does anyone know how long it'll take to get an actual seat "seat"

Congrats to everyone accepted! Does anyone know if decisions are released in batches? Interviewed on 12/14 and haven't heard anything yet.
They said it could take up to a month from the interview and so I'm sure it's in batches. There were 63 ppl who interviewed that day 12/14, including me so I'm sure they didn't go through all 63 already since it's been only a week! Hang in there!

Interviewed 12/14. Accepted pending an open seat! Don’t know if I should be excited or concerned:/

Congrats to everyone else here who heard back today as well! And yep, I've been playing this game for so long that I'm way too scared to celebrate based on a 'don't worry, it'll turn into a full acceptance soon enough' promise. I'm holding off on a true celebration until I have an actual seat.

Accepted, 12/13 pending an open seat. Received official acceptance 12/20/2018.

Interviewed 11/30
Accepted pending seat 12/13
Officially Accepted 12/21

Got my acceptance today, interview 12/14! I was so surprised to hear back already since they said we wouldn't hear until January, but I am way too happy. :)

Just heard back from admissions - next deposit deadline is mid-Jan, so next big movement is likely to be around that time.

wait what the heck!!?
Interviewed 12/14 and accepted for an open seat 12/21????
This is by far the fastest turnaround I've ever had!! I was expecting a month at least and hoping the answer will come before the 1/15 deadline so I don't have to waste my deposit and here I am,
checked my email today hoping for LECOM, which has been 6 weeks, and was accepted to this school!

I think I stlll don't believe it. I thought I imagined the whole email and had to check it again lol.

May 15, champ. Or whenever someone can hold multiple MD acceptances until this cycle.
On that magical day someone holding multiple MD acceptances commits to one school, freeing up several other spots at other MD schools, which then allows someone with an ATSU SOMA acceptance and an MD waitlist to slide on in to that hot, freshly vacated MD slot and hit that "2000 DOLLAR DEPOSIT DO DUMP" switch faster than you can say "osteopathic difference." The AT SOMA seat now appears out of the ether, and is yours.

interviewing 12/14, my first med school interview yikes super nervous! How many people does ATSU interview a cycle for their class? Is it like 500? Any advice for first med school interview other than being myself, why DO?

How did your interview go?

So many of us have been accepted pending an open seat. Yet, they will continue to interview till May and continue to offer many others the same. What are our chances really ? Can anyone who had been in a similar position in the previous years answer my question.

So many of us have been accepted pending an open seat. Yet, they will continue to interview till May and continue to offer many others the same. What are our chances really ? Can anyone who had been in a similar position in the previous years answer my question.
Just to give you an idea, KCU offers 800 acceptances for 400 seats, so I imagine there is alot of movement as time goes on. The difference is ATSU-SOMA doesn't make you wait forever for answer because they're waiting for deposits. Movement is probably fastest in December and March when deposits are due at other schools and people begin withdrawing acceptances

Think of it as them being so highly confident that those seats are going to open that they are continuing to interview that late. I’d say your chances are very close to 100%.

So with them already giving out "acceptances pending an open seat" in December, what do you all think are the chances of being pulled off the alternate list in May?

People from last years app cycle were accepted pending an open seat and never had a seat open up. The school decided to roll their acceptance over to this years class as a full acceptance. It doesn't seem its a guarantee though as an admissions rep said they debate at the end of the cycle if they are going to roll over these people. Also, they may only roll over certain people from the accepted pending list and not everyone.

Edit: also, the accepted pending an open seat list is ranked. So people on it now may not get a seat before someone put on the list later in the cycle.

Last edited:
Considering they're giving out "acceptances pending an open seat," I'm guessing the odds of getting an II now aren't so great...

How did your interview go?
It went really well! I read a book on med school interviews on the way there and researched some health care policies night before. It was super chill and just tried to be myself. Go an acceptance pending a seat 12/21!

People from last years app cycle were accepted pending an open seat and never had a seat open up. The school decided to roll their acceptance over to this years class as a full acceptance. It doesn't seem its a guarantee though as an admissions rep said they debate at the end of the cycle if they are going to roll over these people. Also, they may only roll over certain people from the accepted pending list and not everyone.

Edit: also, the accepted pending an open seat list is ranked. So people on it now may not get a seat before someone put on the list later in the cycle.
Yikes that's nerve wracking! Do you know how many people were accepted pending open seat but were never pulled off? Is there a way to find out where you are on the list? Did you get this info by calling admissions? Thank you!

Considering they're giving out "acceptances pending an open seat," I'm guessing the odds of getting an II now aren't so great...

They interview until the end of the cycle and people who interviewed late last year received seats in the class, so there is still a chance.

Yikes that's nerve wracking! Do you know how many people were accepted pending open seat but were never pulled off? Is there a way to find out where you are on the list? Did you get this info by calling admissions? Thank you!

1. No
2. You can call, some people were able to get a general idea of their location on the list, others were told nothing. Depends who you ask I guess.
3. Yes

Do students do OMM 3rd and 4th year too?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
During 3rd and 4th (current) year we had OMM/OMT academic assignments or optional rotations but we did not meet in the classroom setting for hands-on practice.

Where did you get this information? This goes directly against what admissions staff and students have told me. I specifically asked them when I was accepted pending an open seat if it was common for them not to have the seats open up and was told that almost every single year they have pulled from the alternate list (which is of course below both accepted and waitlisted students). They also explicitly told me it was only ranked within your own interview day and that had very little weight. I am not trying to be rude but if you received this info from admissions then they are telling you the exact opposite of what I was told by students and them and during my interview day and after.

For what it’s worth - I was “accepted pending an open seat” and got a seat 12 hours later. I think the turnover is quite high and anybody who has received that should feel good and those who still have yet to interview should not worry too much.

Reactions: 4 users
Where did you get this information? This goes directly against what admissions staff and students have told me. I specifically asked them when I was accepted pending an open seat if it was common for them not to have the seats open up and was told that almost every single year they have pulled from the alternate list (which is of course below both accepted and waitlisted students). They also explicitly told me it was only ranked within your own interview day and that had very little weight. I am not trying to be rude but if you received this info from admissions then they are telling you the exact opposite of what I was told by students and them and during my interview day and after.

For what it’s worth - I was “accepted pending an open seat” and got a seat 12 hours later. I think the turnover is quite high and anybody who has received that should feel good and those who still have yet to interview should not worry too much.

Experience. Was accepted pending an open seat. Never got off the list and was rolled over to next years class. People who interviewed months after me who were also on the pending list got off of it before me.

Experience. Was accepted pending an open seat. Never got off the list and was rolled over to next years class. People who interviewed months after me who were also on the pending list got off of it before me.
omg that is now very nerve wrecking...I am still pending an open seat > < damn it just when I thought I could relax...
but regardless....

i just wanted to wish everyone a happy new year!! 2019 is going to be our year man! haha!
Best of wishes and luck!
<3333

I know that every CHC may be a little different, but could someone give me insight into if SOMA students are spending a majority of the 3rd and 4th years in outpatient clinics vs. hospitals. Also, is the clinical curriculum set up to have a certain amount of time in specific specialties? I'm having a difficult time finding information regarding this on the school website. Thanks in advance!