2018-2019 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know if there's a page/group for accepted students?
Yes! Once you've put down your deposit and signed the admissions contract, you will see the link to join the Facebook group.

Members don't see this ad.

Guess they just hate me! lol because I never got that.

Have you checked your portal? Once you click on the “Checklist” tab, a few things will populate on the left side of the page and the FB link is under “Important Information”.

E39A1DCA-1495-4944-9EB4-3FB3E8010916.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I interviewed on 12/14 as well, but I haven't received any communication from the school. Is this something to be concerned about, especially since people have been posting receiving the "accepted pending open seats" email? Just trying to mentally prepare myself if a rejection is coming my way.

Just got an email offering me an "official seat" here!

Reactions: 3 users
Just got an email offering me an "official seat" here!
Congratulations! Still waiting for my full acceptance. If you don't mind me asking, when did you receive your "accepted pending open seat" email? Thanks!

I take it you wanted to stay in AZ? Are you from the local area?

Nope! From what was available, I just didn’t want to keep moving. I really dislike moving around so much! Plus, the AZ centers seem pretty well established!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Nope! From what was available, I just didn’t want to keep moving. I really dislike moving around so much! Plus, the AZ centers seem pretty well established!

cool. hoping I get bumped up in CHC soon. grrrr. lol

Post II Rejection. It was an intense interview, and I thought I managed pretty well, but I guess not. Not sure where I messed up honestly. Oh well, good luck to everyone else!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Post II Rejection. It was an intense interview, and I thought I managed pretty well, but I guess not. Not sure where I messed up honestly. Oh well, good luck to everyone else!

If you care to get it, I would call and ask admissions for feedback! Never hurts and it helps.

Congratulations! Still waiting for my full acceptance. If you don't mind me asking, when did you receive your "accepted pending open seat" email? Thanks!

Thank you! I will probably be rejecting the offer due to an acceptance closer to home! So hopefully that opens up a spot for one of yall! I received that email on 12/13.

Have they addressed when orientation or anything is yet? I know ATSU-SOMA starts like way earlier than other programs -_-

Jealous. I'm still on my #6 at the moment. lol

I bet they won’t address orientation until like May. Hahaha I’m sure you’ll get a bump!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if KCOM and SOMA campuses share admissions staff in any way? Thought it was kind of weird that they were the only schools to send me a hard rejection, both within the same week as well. Have any of you applied to both and got 1 II and 1 R? My stats are around/above the mean for both schools so I definitely didn't get screened out.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if KCOM and SOMA campuses share admissions staff in any way? Thought it was kind of weird that they were the only schools to send me a hard rejection, both within the same week as well. Have any of you applied to both and got 1 II and 1 R? My stats are around/above the mean for both schools so I definitely didn't get screened out.

I’m not 100% sure, but I doubt it. The reason I say this is that I applied to both, got pre-II waitlisted at KCOM, and got an interview at SOMA. Also, still no rejection from KCOM but I got accepted to SOMA. I’m sure their main admin office is KCOM, but application process has to be separate imo.

I did not apply to KCOM as I had zero desire to live wherever that is.

I’m not 100% sure, but I doubt it. The reason I say this is that I applied to both, got pre-II waitlisted at KCOM, and got an interview at SOMA. Also, still no rejection from KCOM but I got accepted to SOMA. I’m sure their main admin office is KCOM, but application process has to be separate imo.

Thanks for the insight, I thought that all of these schools with branch campuses needed to have multiple admissions committees until I interviewed at NOVA and was told the dean/admissions process would be the same for both of the schools' campuses at least for the upcoming year, which I thought was weird/unsustainable. I wasn't sure if A.T.S. had some sort of similar situation and has made it work.

Edit: Congrats on the acceptance!

On a side note, does anyone know if ATSU-SOMA is still sending out interviews & when are the earliest interviews? asking for a friend.

Have they addressed when orientation or anything is yet? I know ATSU-SOMA starts like way earlier than other programs -_-

Jealous. I'm still on my #6 at the moment. lol

Haha I'm on my #6, too. Glad to see there is CHC waitlist movement, though! Orientation is currently scheduled for the week of July 8.

Reactions: 1 users
Email Dolores at: [email protected]

I am hoping to come back to the new center in Alton, Illinois since I’m from Peoria, Illinois. If not there, Seattle (waitlist now) or stay in Arizona!

I submitted my preference but haven’t paid my deposit so technically it doesn’t count. However, Dolores told me she received my preferences and as soon as I pay (I’m paying Monday when I have the money together), I’ll get it confirmed. Where would you like to go/ where are you from?!

Email Dolores at: [email protected]

I am hoping to come back to the new center in Alton, Illinois since I’m from Peoria, Illinois. If not there, Seattle (waitlist now) or stay in Arizona!

I submitted my preference but haven’t paid my deposit so technically it doesn’t count. However, Dolores told me she received my preferences and as soon as I pay (I’m paying Monday when I have the money together), I’ll get it confirmed. Where would you like to go/ where are you from?!

PM me, please! :))

I just got bumped up CHCs from flagstaff to Tucson!

Has there been a lot of movement? I have some questions about the rankings. PM me! I am pending a seat so trying to come up with my list ahead of time.

Has there been a lot of movement? I have some questions about the rankings. PM me! I am pending a seat so trying to come up with my list ahead of time.
That's a great idea! I am pending a seat too as of 12/21. How about you?

I think the mock patients was a little ridiculous. Giving all this advice on things we really know nothing about. I definitely feel that's why I was wait listed. I sort of ran out of things to say and started kind of pretending I had more medical knowledge than I have. I've received acceptances from other schools with all the other aspects except the mock patient portion.

I think the mock patients was a little ridiculous. Giving all this advice on things we really know nothing about. I definitely feel that's why I was wait listed. I sort of ran out of things to say and started kind of pretending I had more medical knowledge than I have. I've received acceptances from other schools with all the other aspects except the mock patient portion.
Did you also interview 12/14?

I sort of ran out of things to say and started kind of pretending I had more medical knowledge than I have.

That's a bold strategy Cotton, I feel you though, that's an interesting situation to put a pre-med in.

That's a bold strategy Cotton, I feel you though, that's an interesting situation to put a pre-med in.
Haha obviously didn't work out for an outright acceptance, just a wait list. Their whole pretend you're a med student aspect through me off, so I pretended I knew as much as I thought a med student would know. Hopefully someone learns from my mistake.

PM sent

hey! sorry! I'm also still pending an open seat. Just wondering if you would be able to help me as well by sharing the CHC sites that are still open? And what is this ranking that you guys are talking about? Thanks!

also one quick question:
do students usually spend 3rd and 4th year rotation at the same location as their CHC? are there options for international or elective rotations?

On the contrary, I really felt like the mock patients gave me a huge huge advantage. :)

Reactions: 3 users
also one quick question:
do students usually spend 3rd and 4th year rotation at the same location as their CHC? are there options for international or elective rotations?

1. 2nd year & 3rd year are done at CHC locations. Some CHC locations you'll have to move a little bit or temporarily for core rotations as not all rotations are done in the same city/etc...
  2. 4th year you do core rotations at CHC location. From what I've gathered from a 4th year is that most people use CHC location as their base for 4th year.
  3. "Electives/away rotations/auditions" you travel for; however, some of your electives/auditions may be nearby, so you may not have to move.
  4. I haven't asked about international electives.
Hope that helps. I got this info from a 4th year student.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
  1. 2nd year & 3rd year are done at CHC locations. Some CHC locations you'll have to move a little bit or temporarily for core rotations as not all rotations are done in the same city/etc...
  2. 4th year you do core rotations at CHC location. From what I've gathered from a 4th year is that most people use CHC location as their base for 4th year.
  3. "Electives/away rotations/auditions" you travel for; however, some of your electives/auditions may be nearby, so you may not have to move.
  4. I haven't asked about international electives.
Hope that helps. I got this info from a 4th year student.

The wording here is a bit misleading.
2nd year, you spend one day a week at the associated CHC working with a PCP the entire day. The more common specialties available are FM, IM, Peds. You will also have another day where you do OMM and work on your medical skills. A third half day is designated for research/Biostat. So technically you're going to be at your CHC 3 days a week. The rest of the week is yours to study and review didactic lectures.

Third and fourth year are just like any other school. Your core inpatient rotations will be done at the hospitals affiliated with the CHC. So that means surgery, one block IM, OBGYN, EM and some CHCs offer inpatient Psych as well. Your firth year, you can do your electives at the same hospitals that are associated with your base CHC. In addition, you can (and encouraged) to go out there and do audition rotations at institutions that you're interested in their residency.

On the contrary, I really felt like the mock patients gave me a huge huge advantage. :)

Factssss I loved the mock patients. I really didn’t even get “medical” with them. I was compassionate and made conversation. That’s it!

i tried to start a conversation as well but can't lol...I'm really new to this. can you show me what I should do please? Thank you!!

Yea idk!! So weird. I tried on my phone and my laptop. Also, others have pm’d me with no issues.

Does anyone know when the next deposit deadline is? I was accepted Dec 21 pending a seat and hoping there’s a big enough movement and drop out on the next deadline.

Does anyone know when the next deposit deadline is? I was accepted Dec 21 pending a seat and hoping there’s a big enough movement and drop out on the next deadline.

My 2nd deposit is due in May! However, I think that differs from others who recently got accepted and haven’t placed the first deposit yet. I believe those who interview after the 12/15/18 deposit deadline have a month to put the $1k down.

I interviewed 12/14, was accepted pending a seat 12/21. This week I called the admissions department and they were super helpful. They said I was number 7 on the list and they thought a seat would open up for me within the next few weeks. They also said there is a deposit deadline for some people Jan 15th. So all I can say is that if you have any questions at all, give them a call!

Reactions: 2 users