2018-2019 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current 4th year student. Feel free to reply or DM me with questions if you have any. I definitely won't be as helpful with admission or 1st year things because I'm sure some of that has changed but happy to help in any way I can! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all,

I received a secondary invite last month and totally forgot about it as I was swamped w filling out the others. Do you think it’s ok to just submit it now or should I call adcom to explain?
Yes, submit it now. If you don't apply, you have 0% chance of getting in. Apply now!

Reactions: 1 user
Current 4th year student. Feel free to reply or DM me with questions if you have any. I definitely won't be as helpful with admission or 1st year things because I'm sure some of that has changed but happy to help in any way I can! :)

when/how do we learn more about each CHC?

Members don't see this ad :)
When you get accepted they email you access to a site that has a powerpoint about every CHC detailing every last thing you would want to know about their center, physicians, rotations and life in that city.

Reactions: 5 users
How does this school compare to the one in Kirksville, Missouri ? If you had an offer from both and Kirksville is much closer to where you live, what would you do?

A good way to get more first-hand information would be to contact the Admissions department and ask if you could be contacted by students that are currently at the CHCs you are considering. Each site has student ambassadors and we're usually happy to reach out to answer questions.

Reactions: 2 users
How does this school compare to the one in Kirksville, Missouri ? If you had an offer from both and Kirksville is much closer to where you live, what would you do?
I dont know a whole lot of details about KCOM...SOMA is pretty unique with the way our curriculum is set up and it think KCOM is more traditional. They don't do the CHC thing and such. But it's a super strong program regardless and if it's close to where you live and you get accepted then I would strongly consider going! If you get accepted to both SOMA and KCOM then I would suggest deciding based off the programs they offer and the vibes you got at each school. Fitting into their culture and mission is very important to your happiness in medical school.

In addition to previous comments, unless you are actually IN this situation, I wouldn't worry about it right now. Interview at both if you can, you may only get into one or the other. Also consider CHC locations as you will be spending 3 of your 4 years at that site.

Sent from my SM-G960U using SDN mobile

When you get accepted they email you access to a site that has a powerpoint about every CHC detailing every last thing you would want to know about their center, physicians, rotations and life in that city.

thank you! this was extremely helpful!

Accepted! Interviewed on 8/24. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats everyone! Interviewed this past Friday, and this school is awesome! And I guess they really do mean the promised 2-4 week decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone! Interviewed this past Friday, and this school is awesome! And I guess they really do mean the promised 2-4 week decision!
I was looking for more Texas people! I only ran into one.

+2! My first acceptance. I’m beyond excited! Good luck to everyone else
That feeling of getting the first acceptance is unreal.... if no one has said this to you yet: Congrats, you're going to be a Doctor!

I got my first acceptance last week on an airplane and started ugly/happy crying immediately.... pretty sure everyone near me thought I was crazy!

Reactions: 5 users
That feeling of getting the first acceptance is unreal.... if no one has said this to you yet: Congrats, you're going to be a Doctor!

I got my first acceptance last week on an airplane and started ugly/happy crying immediately.... pretty sure everyone near me thought I was crazy!
Thank you!

I haven't heard yet. They must not be sending them all out together.
I am dying right now seeing that other people have heard back and I haven't yet... I'm tempted to call them and find out. Haha. Would that be in poor taste?

hey guys
cgpa 3.34
sgpa 3.61
501 mcat with DO shadowing and letter

anyone with similar stats recieve some love from this school?

Reactions: 1 users
hey guys
cgpa 3.34
sgpa 3.61
501 mcat with DO shadowing and letter

anyone with similar stats recieve some love from this school?

Kind of. My GPAs were kind of low

cgpa 3.26
sgpa 3.00
509 MCAT

But I did have a ton of extracurriculars. I interviewed on August 24th

Hey for those who got an acceptance phone call yesterday, have any of you received an email with more details yet?

I'm not sure if we start earlier than other schools because I don't know their schedules but this year we had orientation week starting July 9th and then classes started July 16th.

is lecture mandatory for first year? for all classes? for some classes?

Actually just now recieved the email. :)

is lecture mandatory for first year? for all classes? for some classes?
Lecture is not mandatory. There are some classes that you are required to attend that are more practical in nature (OMT, medical skills, etc). In general, expect to be at school at least 2 days a week.

Sent from my SM-G960U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Pretty excited about having the opportunity to join ATSU-SOMA's community.

If your still waiting, I'm rooting for you guys! Gotta believe.

For students/those accepted, have you guys received an email about picking a CHC? Does selecting a CHC require putting a deposit down?

Reactions: 3 users
Pretty excited about having the opportunity to join ATSU-SOMA's community.

If your still waiting, I'm rooting for you guys! Gotta believe.

For students/those accepted, have you guys received an email about picking a CHC? Does selecting a CHC require putting a deposit down?
I havent gotten the CHC info. yet, but I was told that it would require the deposit before you can rank your preferred CHC's

I havent gotten the CHC info. yet, but I was told that it would require the deposit before you can rank your preferred CHC's

I specifically asked this at the interview day and this is correct! Rank, Pay, and then assignment happens based off of how you ranked your CHC and availability at the time you pay. Which is somewhat of a downside because if you have other acceptances/interviews and are waiting to pay deposits until they are due you could potentially lose out on multiple CHC's even if you interviewed/were accepted early.

Accepted 9/10 and interview 8/24!!!! Ugly cried on the phone

Reactions: 8 users
I specifically asked this at the interview day and this is correct! Rank, Pay, and then assignment happens based off of how you ranked your CHC and availability at the time you pay. Which is somewhat of a downside because if you have other acceptances/interviews and are waiting to pay deposits until they are due you could potentially lose out on multiple CHC's even if you interviewed/were accepted early.

Thank you!

Rejected :/ just got the email.

I'm disappointed. I thought that the overall the interview went well. My guess is that I didn't do as well on the one-on-one as the MMI section. I didn't realize there was going to be a one-on-one and was a bit blindsided by that. Though I thought my interviewer liked me... idk. Oh well.