2018-2019 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected :/ just got the email.

I'm disappointed. I thought that the overall the interview went well. My guess is that I didn't do as well on the one-on-one as the MMI section. I didn't realize there was going to be a one-on-one and was a bit blindsided by that. Though I thought my interviewer liked me... idk. Oh well.
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm still waiting to hear back...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm still waiting to hear back...
Deeply saddened...But Hope and Mission must not change! Letvthus be a learning lesson and s fall in your Life! You shall remember this when you become a doctor!

Sent from my SM-J730GM using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
If nothing else comes from this, at least I've built up my patience (publicly). Got delayed at the airport coming home from this interview for ~6 hours: lilsebastian 4 months ago? Pacing around the airport, looking for every flight under the sun to get home ASAP, maybe even crying. lilsebastian last week? Delay, you say. Well I have goldfish and sour patch kids, if anyone wants to be friends. Long story short, made friends with a nice older lady, gave her some snacks, showed her how to work her blackberry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If nothing else comes from this, at least I've built up my patience (publicly). Got delayed at the airport coming home from this interview for ~6 hours: lilsebastian 4 months ago? Pacing around the airport, looking for every flight under the sun to get home ASAP, maybe even crying. lilsebastian last week? Delay, you say. Well I have goldfish and sour patch kids, if anyone wants to be friends. Long story short, made friends with a nice older lady, gave her some snacks, showed her how to work her blackberry.
Well done :thumbup:

Just got a secondary :) Complete on 9/11/18.

I'm curious to know what the secondary to interview invite ratio is? I got mine the same day that I was complete (both ATSU campuses) and should have it submitted by October 1st.

I applied thinking I had zero chance anywhere because of my MCAT score, but I guess my GPAs got me past the auto-screen (HECK YESSS!). Thoughts?

Can anyone provide any info on the flagstaff CHC, such as how much travel you do during 3 rd year and then 4th year and how far/ often?

I'm curious to know what the secondary to interview invite ratio is? I got mine the same day that I was complete (both ATSU campuses) and should have it submitted by October 1st.

I applied thinking I had zero chance anywhere because of my MCAT score, but I guess my GPAs got me past the auto-screen (HECK YESSS!). Thoughts?
You should be okay.

You should be okay.
I can't get Goro's quote out of my head about secondaries being for the (hopeless?)
LOL
Because I felt hopeless applying! Thanks for your reply. Here's to hoping the secondary gets me through the door!

Does anybody have any tips for the interview here? If you do, please message me! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been out in the interview waitlist/hold for re-review and gotten an interview?

What were your stats if you don’t mind me asking :)?
I had a 498 MCAT -->504 MCAT on my second attempt | 3.7 GPA/ 3.89 science GPA | And I am a couple years graduated so my extracurriculars are pretty extensive (I think that helped with my low MCAT).

I loved the school and felt the interview was fun, but I just have a gut feeling they won't want me :/ Did anyone else feel like it went well and has this gut feeling? I also feel like I am over analyzing every move I made....the stress of a premed student LOL

I loved the school and felt the interview was fun, but I just have a gut feeling they won't want me :/ Did anyone else feel like it went well and has this gut feeling? I also feel like I am over analyzing every move I made....the stress of a premed student LOL

I feel ya. I think it’s also just part of us being generally type A people. So when things get out of our control, we default to doomsday scenarios to cope. For me, it’s for sure a defense mechanism cause if it happens I can be like oh well, I knew, so it doesn’t sting as bad. I’ve woken up many a nights since the interview thinking about what I could’ve said differently or how I should’ve done this or that. You’re definitely not alone. But the bright side is, getting an interview is a feat on its own, so we just have to hang in there. Que sera, sera.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I feel like I did well but hard to say. Especially because they only take ~20% of those interviewed! Plus that was a seriously long interview session lol

Did anyone else see how they were grading people in the 'speed dating' session? Looked like mostly A's, A-'s, and B+s.

Did anyone else see how they were grading people in the 'speed dating' session? Looked like mostly A's, A-'s, and B+s.
Yeah, I caught it on one grader, but saw the grading sheets were set up for grades and a small comment box. The grader I saw had only A's and B's.

For people who've been accepted already, did you receive information about the CHCs yet?

For people who've been accepted already, did you receive information about the CHCs yet?
no, I emailed them and they said they would send it out in a bit, they were updating the CHC information.

Because trends are fun - last cycle it took about 17 days after the first interview day for those folks to hear back on a decision. This cycle? Same thing. It took 12 days for the subsequent interview days. Ergo, Wednesday marks day 12 and could be our day 9/7 interview peeps! But also it could be nothing. Fingers crossed!

Because trends are fun - last cycle it took about 17 days after the first interview day for those folks to hear back on a decision. This cycle? Same thing. It took 12 days for the subsequent interview days. Ergo, Wednesday marks day 12 and could be our day 9/7 interview peeps! But also it could be nothing. Fingers crossed!

I was in the 9/14 interview. Low-key super nervous about hearing back. I loved the school so much!!

Just got an email from admissions and my heart sank. I interviewed last week and thought it was a rejection. Turns out it was an interview day survey. Thank god lol

Just got an email from admissions and my heart sank. I interviewed last week and thought it was a rejection. Turns out it was an interview day survey. Thank god lol
i got a survey too!

what kind of stuff is asked for MMI's? I'm so confused what this format looks like.
Just google it, you'll find a general question. They could be anything but you sign an agreement saying you wont share specifics.

Does it mean that students selected after December will only have limited choices for community rotations as the best ones have already been taken by those selected earlier ?

Does it mean that students selected after December will only have limited choices for community rotations as the best ones have already been taken by those selected earlier ?
Yes, this could happen. Thats why its especially important at this school if you want to have a secured spot at a top choice. But best is subjective, so your best choice may still be open.

I mean if people accept the acceptances now and select their CHCs, then burn bridges on 12/14 (first deposit) then their choices for CHC opens back up and you can take them again in December. So, you still have a shot at the CHC's you want even though it is later in the cycle for you to be accepted.

It's depends - I interviewed in spring but still got my 1st choice. There's really no way to know, especially as spots open up when people drop their acceptances during the waitlist movement.

Sent from my SM-G960U using SDN mobile

It's depends - I interviewed in spring but still got my 1st choice. There's really no way to know, especially as spots open up when people drop their acceptances during the waitlist movement.

I thought we would be able to choose our CHC before putting a deposit down? At least that's what they made it seem like on interview day

I thought we would be able to choose our CHC before putting a deposit down? At least that's what they made it seem like on interview day
I dont think so, I was told deposit then CHC.

You have to deposit before ranking the CHC's, It is $1000.

Also remember, that the “best” ones are pretty subjective, so you never know what people will choose based on their preferences!

Yeah, I feel like I did well but hard to say. Especially because they only take ~20% of those interviewed! Plus that was a seriously long interview session lol

Where'd you get this stat from?

I'm going to DC. But someone else in my interview group got his first choice as well - Hawaii.

how did you pick your CHC? Do u feel the info they provided after you were accepted was helpful enough to confidently decide?

how did you pick your CHC? Do u feel the info they provided after you were accepted was helpful enough to confidently decide?
I picked my CHC for personal reasons. But all of them are pretty great! Either way, if you get in you're still going to be a doctor. I honestly think this thread is way too stressed out about CHCs this year...

Reactions: 2 users
I picked my CHC for personal reasons. But all of them are pretty great! Either way, if you get in you're still going to be a doctor. I honestly think this thread is way too stressed out about CHCs this year...

I think it’s the unknown aspect about it and if it is a lot of travel, or having a partner or family would be best Accommodated at certain locations etc, atleast personally!

I think it’s the unknown aspect about it and if it is a lot of travel, or having a partner or family would be best Accommodated at certain locations etc, atleast personally!
Agreed! I would go with what is most important to you, rank accordingly, and if something is EXTREMELY necessary, let admissions know that. At the end of the day, CHC choosing is about your priorities - whether that's family, location, cost of living, urban vs. rural, etc. - there's no magical info the school is gonna give you that makes one option WAY better than another.

If you have questions about a specific CHC site feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can do. :)