2018-2019 Baylor College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1.Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you,
including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity.
You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information.
2000 character limit.

2. If you took a gap year there is a 2,000 character "What did you do during your gap year" question.

3. If you are a career changer there is this: Is becoming a physician a second career for you? If so, what was your first career choice? (2,000 char)
MSTP:
Please describe your primary research Interests for the PhD portion of dual degree training including potential Baylor College of Medicine or Rice University faculty with whom you would like to work. (Will not limit final research project or mentor selection) Limit essay to 2000 characters.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Baylor College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How are you guys approaching this secondary? Honestly dumbfounded and feel like the prompt is too broad yet too specific to just write Why Baylor

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you guys approaching this secondary? Honestly dumbfounded and feel like the prompt is too broad yet too specific to just write Why Baylor

What prompt are you using? I'm looking at last years, which appears to be a combination of the TMDSAS optional essay prompt and the personal characteristics essay. I'm thinking my secondary will look something like these essays.

What prompt are you using? I'm looking at last years, which appears to be a combination of the TMDSAS optional essay prompt and the personal characteristics essay. I'm thinking my secondary will look something like these essays.

Yup, but at the same time I really want to include why Baylor in the essay, which is something I’m having trouble doing using either of those. Plus its 500 characters shorter as well..

As fumehood said, looks like most people used the unique characteristics essay last year with some tweaking.

Not sure if anyone here can answer this but are MD-PhD students at Baylor allowed to do research with MD Anderson faculty/labs?

Anybody willing to trade secondaries with me? PM me please! only like 5 days left ahhhh

Anyone hear anything yet? Last year Baylor opened the secondary to everyone on July 1st.

Secondary prompt:

Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you,
including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity.
You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information.
2000 character limit.

I’ve been waiting since 12:01 am :(

EDIT: ITS LIVEEE
So they don't send out an email? You just go to their web page and create an account or something? I hope this isn't the case with other med schools I am applying to because I probably am missing out on secondaries haha

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a career changer and have written extensively about it in my personal statement and primary application. Would it be better to repeat information for the 2,000 character limit or give a concise answer?

If we are not a career changer, should we just leave the second prompt blank?

Has anyone not gotten a Baylor secondary?
As far as I understand, you have to make an account and do it. They won't send an invite.

For people with FAP, do you know if all we do is just forward the approval email to them and that's it?

As far as I understand, you have to make an account and do it. They won't send an invite.

For people with FAP, do you know if all we do is just forward the approval email to them and that's it?
Not sure, but that's what I'm doing. I got all the way to the submit page but did not press the "[submit and pay]" button just in case I can't log on again to pay the reduced fee.

Not sure, but that's what I'm doing. I got all the way to the submit page but did not press the "[submit and pay]" button just in case I can't log on again to pay the reduced fee.
Cool, that's what I did and submitted. Also, stupid question, but AMCAS didn't have a photo requirement like TMDSAS, right?

Cool, that's what I did and submitted. Also, stupid question, but AMCAS didn't have a photo requirement like TMDSAS, right?
Correct, though some AMCAS schools will want a pic with secondaries.

Also, when you submitted, did it give you the option to pay the $50 reduced fee or just the full $100?

Correct, though some AMCAS schools will want a pic with secondaries.

Also, when you submitted, did it give you the option to pay the $50 reduced fee or just the full $100?
Baylor doesn't need a pic from what I can tell.

It gave me the option to pay $50. I think it does that after you select "FAP: Yes", and they'll double check it later when processing it.

Baylor doesn't need a pic from what I can tell.

It gave me the option to pay $50. I think it does that after you select "FAP: Yes", and they'll double check it later when processing it.
Do you (or anyone else) get an error message when you try to check your status?

Reactions: 1 users

This will most likely be fixed sometime this week. Maybe they don't have the system set up yet because it's Sunday.

This will most likely be fixed sometime this week. Maybe they don't have the system set up yet because it's Sunday.
I figured, just wanted to see if it was just me before I activate my neurosis and email them.

Are there additional questions if you choose to do a dual degree (other than MD/PhD)?

In the past the Baylor site tends to show error messages or act oddly when they are updating it or entering some messages or info to the applicants. It always rights itself within a couple of days and does not mean anything, don't let it worry you.

Is it okay if we submitted the secondary prior to AMCAS verification?

Does anybody else’s status say one or more LORs not recieved? Even though letters have been in since early May?

Does anybody else’s status say one or more LORs not recieved? Even though letters have been in since early May?
Not me, it says complete and being reviewed. I'd either let them know or wait a day or two to see if it changes.

Hmm that’s odd...how did they submit it?

Everything through AMCAS, committee letter (3) and 1 PI letter to meet the total 4. Emailed them, hopefully get marked complete soon before all the LizzyM 80+ start coming in :rofl:

Everything through AMCAS, committee letter (3) and 1 PI letter to meet the total 4. Emailed them, hopefully get marked complete soon before all the LizzyM 80+ start coming in :rofl:

I'll fite u for it. Only one of us can win this zero-sum game. /s

any mstp applicants having issues submitting the secondary? I keep trying to pay and submit but it takes me back to the MD/PhD section instead

so in the print version of my app theres a question I havent filled out: "Send information to advisors...." etc. However, I dont see this question on the app itself. I'm going to give it a day for it to resolve itself, if not I'll contact them. Let me know if anyone else has this issue

so in the print version of my app theres a question I havent filled out: "Send information to advisors...." etc. However, I dont see this question on the app itself. I'm going to give it a day for it to resolve itself, if not I'll contact them. Let me know if anyone else has this issue
Do you see a tab called "advisor" or something like that? That's where the question was for me (regular MD).

For the expenses portion if I had my family pay for everything so far does that mean I put 100% in the loan/other category?

App review doesn't begin until July 15, right? Also, when does the first round of IIs usually go out for BCM?