2018-2019 Carle-Illinois College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It was in December.

I'm pretty psyched. I loved the emphasis on engineering in medicine.

Congratulations!!! That so awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did any of you also got an email from Carle today stating that your applications have been received and will be reviewed in January?
Have they been sending this email throughout the cycle?
Thanks

+1 I received that email yesterday too and submitted my app in August. Absolutely no idea what it means.

For those who attended the showcase, around what time did it end? It says it should end at 5 but I'm hoping it ends earlier so I can catch a flight.

Members don't see this ad :)
They're pretty understanding if you need to leave early in order to make a flight.

If you can't find it written anywhere, I would just email Heather Wright the update. Based on the showcase, she seemed like she was in charge of the administrative stuff like this.

Withdrew my app and no longer attending the showcase! I got into my #2 choice (Carle was #3). I'm a little sad to withdraw since I wont get to experience the innovative curriculum at Carle, but my #2 choice is in my home city and makes the most sense financially and socially. Best of luck to you all!

Withdrew my app and no longer attending the showcase! I got into my #2 choice (Carle was #3). I'm a little sad to withdraw since I wont get to experience the innovative curriculum at Carle, but my #2 choice is in my home city and makes the most sense financially and socially. Best of luck to you all!
What is the date for the showcase you are referring to? Thanks

Just got fresh new R last night. Good luck to everyone still in the running!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who has been accepted paid their enrollment deposit?

Last edited:
Has anyone who has been accepted paid their enrollment deposit?

Is there an option to? My interpretation was that these were due after Feb. 20th, when the "Plan to Enroll" option opens up on the status page.

Is there an option to? My interpretation was that these were due after Feb. 20th, when the "Plan to Enroll" option opens up on the status page.
Yes, if you go to the application status portal where you accept your admissions offer, there is an option to submit a payment. I was under the impression it was due by Feb. 19. However, I paid it a few weeks ago and it doesn't look like they received the payment.

Yes, if you go to the application status portal where you accept your admissions offer, there is an option to submit a payment. I was under the impression it was due by Feb. 19. However, I paid it a few weeks ago and it doesn't look like they received the payment.

You were right, there was an option. When I tried to pay just now, it redirected me to a blank page. I emailed student affairs and they told me that they'd be sending more on-boarding info including a link to submit the deposit on Feb 20th.

Is there still a chance to receive an invite for the showcase?

Does anyone have an idea of how many people from the previous 2 showcases will be accepted after February?
In some previous posts, someone mentioned that they were offering acceptance to 2-3 people per showcase

Since they don't interview and it is just a showcase, do they reject/accept based off of solely our application? Like are there activities during the showcase where they might try to "check out" an applicant or anything like that?

Since they don't interview and it is just a showcase, do they reject/accept based off of solely our application? Like are there activities during the showcase where they might try to "check out" an applicant or anything like that?

There are no specific activities where they evaluate you at the showcase. I would assume they are still evaluating you, but I think as long as you show up in dress code and you are nice the whole time then that's the extent. It seems like they'll only really look at you in depth is if you're rude or acting uninterested or something.

Current student here, hmu privately/publicly on here if you have any questions/concerns/need some advice for the application.
I had a question about the competencies they are looking for (I will be an applicant next cycle): While I do not directly come from an engineering background (Unless you count highschool robotics team captain for 3 years over a decade ago...), I am a biotechnology major with a medical laboratory scientist background in the military. Additionally, my research experience has included computer simulation of protein folding dynamics, gene editing and bacteriophage projects. I’m going to be applying there hoping that my clinical laboratory background, research experience and biotechnology experience will meet their core competencies. I really hope that I match what they’re looking for as the curriculum is highly appealing to me.

Any input on whether the biomedical sciences like what I have would count? I will have taken calculus classes as well however no upper division mathematics courses. My chemistry classes I guess will include quantitative analysis and my biology classes will include again biotechnology. I greatly appreciate any input you are able to provide and thank you for your assistance!

I had a question about the competencies they are looking for (I will be an applicant next cycle): While I do not directly come from an engineering background (Unless you count highschool robotics team captain for 3 years over a decade ago...), I am a biotechnology major with a medical laboratory scientist background in the military. Additionally, my research experience has included computer simulation of protein folding dynamics, gene editing and bacteriophage projects. I’m going to be applying there hoping that my clinical laboratory background, research experience and biotechnology experience will meet their core competencies. I really hope that I match what they’re looking for as the curriculum is highly appealing to me.

Any input on whether the biomedical sciences like what I have would count? I will have taken calculus classes as well however no upper division mathematics courses. My chemistry classes I guess will include quantitative analysis and my biology classes will include again biotechnology. I greatly appreciate any input you are able to provide and thank you for your assistance!

Once you receive your secondary application, they have a tab that lets you update files to demonstrate how you fulfill certain recommended classes in the given case you have never taken them.

You definitely don't need to be an engineering major. Seems like you'd be a good fit from your description. Check out this page for more info: Before You Apply - Carle Illinois College of Medicine

You definitely don't need to be an engineering major. Seems like you'd be a good fit from your description. Check out this page for more info: Before You Apply - Carle Illinois College of Medicine
I guess I just don’t know what is entailed in differential equations, Linear algebra and Multivariable Calculus. I have not taken and probably will not be taking any upper division mathematics courses. However I meet all of their recommended skills and experiences just not those three classes (I have an excess of the other courses). Are they truly suggested a course works or do they tend to require them?

I guess I just don’t know what is entailed in differential equations, Linear algebra and Multivariable Calculus. I have not taken and probably will not be taking any upper division mathematics courses. However I meet all of their recommended skills and experiences just not those three classes (I have an excess of the other courses). Are they truly suggested a course works or do they tend to require them?
That's a question for admissions. I don't know how you define "upper division mathematics courses", but multivariable calc is typically "Calc 3", linear algebra involves a lot of matrices, and diffeq is a distinct course (though you may have learned how to deal with basic differential equations in another course). There is precedent for not having taken a specific diffeq course: But I’m not an engineer! Why I still applied to an engineering-based medical school - Carle Illinois College of Medicine

Has anyone who's been accepted received any on-boarding emails? I thought we were getting them on the 20th or the week of, but I haven't seen any.

Last edited:
Anybody know how many people have been accepted so far? Is it fair to assume about 8 (4 per showcase so far, not including the most recent one)? I think about 4 people have posted on this thread mentioning acceptances

Does anyone know how they feel about missing one or two classes that they 'suggest'? And how is engineering integrated into the curriculum?

Are any accepted students interested in making a facebook group or something?

Reactions: 3 users
Called admissions today and they said that we should all be hearing something this Friday.

Reactions: 1 users
I hope getting a survey from them means they’re at least thinking I’m still here lol

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! Just received an email to check my portal and the acceptance was there.

Reactions: 4 users