2018-2019 Carle-Illinois College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also just got the invite to open house! Just finished undergrad with a major not directly related to engineering. Excited to learn more about the faculty this early on in the process - just seems like a great opportunity to get a feel for the vibe of this school.
Did you get the email today or yesterday?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I logged in but there's nothing there. I emailed them already so we'll see :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I logged in but there's nothing there. I emailed them already so we'll see :/
When is your deadline? I'm having the same problem and don't know if it's because of me having miscalculated the deadline. I got the secondary link Saturday 7/28/2018 at 3:00 AM PST and calculated the deadline to be 3 weeks (21 days) after on Saturday 8/18/2018 at 3:00 AM. Did I make an error there or is the issue more because of their system???

When is your deadline? I'm having the same problem and don't know if it's because of me having miscalculated the deadline. I got the secondary link Saturday 7/28/2018 at 3:00 AM PST and calculated the deadline to be 3 weeks (21 days) after on Saturday 8/18/2018 at 3:00 AM. Did I make an error there or is the issue more because of their system???

My deadline is Saturday as well, go to the last email they sent you and contact them!

My deadline is Saturday as well, go to the last email they sent you and contact them!
What message are you seeing?? I hope you didn't lose your video essay in case you had done it!
I called them and left a voicemail because it's 1 AM in Illinois- will call them again early morning. I am also emailing them right now with a screenshot of what I see and the rest of my secondary so they know I wasn't leaving it for last minute- I just wanted things to look good. And I was just about to do the video essay, which sucks.

What message are you seeing?? I hope you didn't lose your video essay in case you had done it!
I called them and left a voicemail because it's 1 AM in Illinois- will call them again early morning. I am also emailing them right now with a screenshot of what I see and the rest of my secondary so they know I wasn't leaving it for last minute- I just wanted things to look good. And I was just about to do the video essay, which sucks.

It would not let me access my secondary after I login, it’s just blank, I used to have to click to access my secondary. I did not do the video essay yet

It would not let me access my secondary after I login, it’s just blank, I used to have to click to access my secondary. I did not do the video essay yet
Interesting, there is no link for me either but there is a message giving me a reference number and a few more sentences... Does that mean I counted the deadline wrong? Because I would really hate myself for that haha

Literally in a panic mode this morning. Was about to do the video essay and I couldn't access my secondary app. I got the invite on 7/28 and I believe the 3 weeks deadline hasn't passed yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else just get the webinar invite? Its just a general "apply/come to our school" right? not an exclusive post-secondary thing.

Anyone else just get the webinar invite? Its just a general "apply/come to our school" right? not an exclusive post-secondary thing.

I think everyone got it based on their wording in the registration. Nevertheless, I am "attending." It should be interesting!

Reactions: 1 users
At the bottom of registration, it says " I am planning to enter medical school in year [ ] /I have not determined when I plan to enter medical school or not applicable."

I figure if it was just to applicants they would know that yes, we are planning to go to school and for the 2018-2019 cycle. Just speculation tho

I submitted my secondary here, wasn't invited to the open house and I got this webinar invite. It sounds cool and I think it'll be interesting but I kinda wish schools would stop sending me random crap like this until after the season is over. It gets my hopes up x 1000 to see this stuff in my inbox. Just like those "CONGRATULATIONS" subject line emails that then say, "Congratulations! Your file is now complete."

I submitted my secondary here, wasn't invited to the open house and I got this webinar invite. It sounds cool and I think it'll be interesting but I kinda wish schools would stop sending me random crap like this until after the season is over. It gets my hopes up x 1000 to see this stuff in my inbox. Just like those "CONGRATULATIONS" subject line emails that then say, "Congratulations! Your file is now complete."

Hahah I feel you. I get so excited when I get a new email but then it's always about my amazon order being delayed or some junk like that +pity+

Would it be absolutely dumb to submit the same PDF's from last year's (obviously failed) application? A lot has changed with my application and experience, but not a whole lot that I think would be reflected well on the secondary though lol. My creativity, curiosity, and competence responses are all from undergrad and I'm in gap years.

Go by your stats, primary, secondary, fit

They also have an open house by invite which isn’t mandatory for acceptance, but they note that the attendees will get acceptances before non-attendees.

How long it takes to send open house invitation once they receive secondaries? Did anyone get open house invitation for 2019?
I think the first batch of invitations was based on the primary app. Not sure about the future batches

Got one for Sept. I believe they will have a couple, at least they did last year

Current student here. Feel free to ask me any questions. Can't promise I'll get to all of them as we are pretty busy.

Also got an open house invite! As a hum major!

How competitive to you think “most competitive” is? My LM is 68

From their admissions office, sounds like there are ~90 people coming to Sept. open house

Current student here. Feel free to ask me any questions. Can't promise I'll get to all of them as we are pretty busy.

That is so cool! How do you like their curriculum? And why did you personally choose Carle?

That is so cool! How do you like their curriculum? And why did you personally choose Carle?

So far so good. Being the first class obviously has it hiccups as people are forming, storming, and norming. But I enjoy the small group based approach. We are getting into our first block this week, Cardiovascular. The last 6 weeks were 'foundational elements.'
I have an engineering background, and a desire to pursue more than a typical medical practice. Before I heard about this school I knew I wanted to be a physician that created new products, techniques, and procedures - in addition to seeing patients. So when I read the mission of the school, I knew it was for me.

Reactions: 4 users
Would it be absolutely dumb to submit the same PDF's from last year's (obviously failed) application? A lot has changed with my application and experience, but not a whole lot that I think would be reflected well on the secondary though lol. My creativity, curiosity, and competence responses are all from undergrad and I'm in gap years.

I'd recommend putting a little more effort into it to update it, even if it is just aesthetic. Show them you want to be here. Remember, they haven't had a large faculty turnover, so it is possible someone who saw your app last year may see it again.

Hey, that's awesome. Hope it's going well so far, I understand that it gets busy.

I wanted to ask how many open house type events they had for their application cycle? I get that it may be different from last year, but I just wanted to know so that I can budget myself for traveling (its fairly far from me). So far I know they have one for this September 24th, but about how many else could I potentially get (assuming if I move forward in their process). Thanks!

Hey, that's awesome. Hope it's going well so far, I understand that it gets busy.

I wanted to ask how many open house type events they had for their application cycle? I get that it may be different from last year, but I just wanted to know so that I can budget myself for traveling (its fairly far from me). So far I know they have one for this September 24th, but about how many else could I potentially get (assuming if I move forward in their process). Thanks!

They do offer some financial assistance for travels! I saw a request about that on the RSVP. Might be something to look into, esp if you have an amcas waiver sounds like they might be willing to help you pay for flights

So far so good. Being the first class obviously has it hiccups as people are forming, storming, and norming. But I enjoy the small group based approach. We are getting into our first block this week, Cardiovascular. The last 6 weeks were 'foundational elements.'
I have an engineering background, and a desire to pursue more than a typical medical practice. Before I heard about this school I knew I wanted to be a physician that created new products, techniques, and procedures - in addition to seeing patients. So when I read the mission of the school, I knew it was for me.
How much advanced math do you REALLY need to do their curriculum? Is Calc I sufficient?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

I think at least 3 total.

How much advanced math do you REALLY need to do their curriculum? Is Calc I sufficient?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

It’s engineering based. While you don’t need more than calc1 to exceed with general medical stuff, you need the other classes to be competitive as an applicant and to understand many of the engineering concepts they incorporate.

Last edited:
I think I changed it. I tried to PM you but it says you aren't accepting any.

Does anyone know how we can get from CMI airport to the hotel? I don't see any public transport so uber might be the only way. Also, if anyone is down to explore campus/grab a bite on Sunday afternoon/evening, let me know :)

Does anyone know how we can get from CMI airport to the hotel? I don't see any public transport so uber might be the only way. Also, if anyone is down to explore campus/grab a bite on Sunday afternoon/evening, let me know :)

Depending on the hotel, they should have a free shuttle. Call the hotel to confirm.

Public transport is AWESOME in Chambana, but unfortunately doesn't go all the way down to the airport anymore. If you can't grab a hotel shuttle, Uber/Lyft are both affordable options.

For those coming from airports other than CMI, you can get to Champaign via Amtrak and Greyhound, then take the bus from that station just about anywhere.

Reactions: 2 users