2018-2019 Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WL. The past two days have been incredibly stressful and discouraging. I thought I’d be stronger and handle this well, but I was wrong... it hurts... quite a bit. My heart almost feels like it got physically heavier. But moments like these force me to reflect with a wider scope. I’m not participating in this arduous process so that I can slap a fancy school’s name on my diploma. I’m not doing this so I can show all my family/friends/facebook how impressive I am. I’m not doing this to prove something to myself—or anyone else. I’m doing this so that I can one day serve my future patients through the impacting role of a physician. So although it hurts, I encourage those who didn’t receive good news to spend some time in similar reflection. Yes, it would be a wonderful privilege to receive the educational experience that Columbia offers—but you do not need that to ultimately acheive your mission as a physician.

Congrats to those accepted
I thought about this a lot too over the past few days. As much as it sucked, I hope we remember this when we're all doctors someday and have to give news, good or bad, to patients. I think we'll all be better doctors if we do.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This whole process was ridiculous. While it is nice to get a personal phone call, the anxiety, rumors, conjecture and "fake news" was completely unnecessary. The schools should pick a date, stick to that date. Send an email blast to everyone to check the portal at the same time. In there is the good news, the bad news, and the WL. We are all adults who want to be doctors. We are not children. Congrats to everyone that got in. Good luck to the rest of us.

Reactions: 3 users
This whole process was ridiculous. While it is nice to get a personal phone call, the anxiety, rumors, conjecture and "fake news" was completely unnecessary. The schools should pick a date, stick to that date. Send an email blast to everyone to check the portal at the same time. In there is the good news, the bad news, and the WL. We are all adults who want to be doctors. We are not children. Congrats to everyone that got in. Good luck to the rest of us.
I don't think their decision process is ridiculous as much as SDN makes it ridiculous. Like for an applicant who is not on SDN, who isn't seeing everyone else posting about their phone call or when they got an email or what they heard during their interview day vs another interview day, I think the process makes sense. We were told that we would hear one way or another by late feb/early march, and that is exactly what happened.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of it is fueled by SDN, sure, but it's not like P&S doesn't know SDN exists and that people will get worried when they see other people getting decisions when they haven't. I was surprised how many people on the interview trail were on top of the threads here and used this website to track the progress of the application pipeline. Adcoms also definitely read these boards. I don't think it's too much to ask that schools deliver decisions in an organized and forthright way.

I'm not familiar with the intricacies of the application process and I'm perfectly wiling to defer to someone who provides a good reason why it would be inordinately difficult to pick a decision date and give everyone their results in a low stress way, but I haven't heard these reasons.
My opinion is that phone calls seem unnecessary. While I'm sure some people like calling accepted students and accepted students may enjoying receiving a call, I would much prefer to get an email. It just seems inefficient for everyone to call every accepted student.

My opinion is that phone calls seem unnecessary. While I'm sure some people like calling accepted students and accepted students may enjoying receiving a call, I would much prefer to get an email. It just seems inefficient for everyone to call every accepted student.
I think a good compromise would be to send out the waitlist/rejection emails the morning before acceptance calls start going out rather than the following morning.

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know if the waitlist is need blind? I've heard of students getting called and offered scholarships at the same time as they get their offer of admission. So are the blinders lifted when they're evaluating the waitlist? Will my parents making less than $100k a year affect my chances?

Reactions: 1 users
does anyone know if Columbia allows transfers from its MD into the MD/PhD program? Any leads/details/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Does anyone know if the waitlist is need blind? I've heard of students getting called and offered scholarships at the same time as they get their offer of admission. So are the blinders lifted when they're evaluating the waitlist? Will my parents making less than $100k a year affect my chances?

Someone got accepted off the waitlist last year and was offered a full ride at the same time. I'm assuming they decide to accept you first then look at your financial aid to give you your package. Pretty they'd have some trouble on their hands if they didn't accept people based on family income...

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how merit aid here works? Have people already received scholarships, or when would that info come out?

Does anyone know how merit aid here works? Have people already received scholarships, or when would that info come out?
I didn't think they offered merit aid here with the debt-free model, but I could be wrong. A brief website search doesn't support or refute this notion

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't think they offered merit aid here with the debt-free model, but I could be wrong. A brief website search doesn't support or refute this notion
I’m confused what a debt free model is... if I don’t qualify for any aid, but my parents are not helping me., then I will need to take the full COA from loans.. do they take this into account?

They do offer it. My tour guide mentioned they got merit aid but didn't qualify for the need based. They mentioned they also asked for a larger scholarship for the hell of it to see if they would give it and they ended up getting another large chunk of money.

I’m confused what a debt free model is... if I don’t qualify for any aid, but my parents are not helping me., then I will need to take the full COA from loans.. do they take this into account?
No they don't, which is why even under a debt free model many will have debt. They will have some sort of formula for how much money they expect you and your parents to contribute. Most likely it's pretty complicated and varies by tax bracket, number of dependents, etc. but it could be something like 25% of your assets, 20% of your parent's income and 5% of their assets yearly. They will deduct that amount (known as EFC) from the total COA and award you the result number in aid. You're then left to pay the rest (you're EFC) through your own assets and parental contributions. If your parents don't contribute their EFC for whatever reason (choice or inability) you will need to cover the deficit with government loans and/or private scholarships/loans.

Any idea what the cutoffs are? My parents income is high but they have not been very smart with their money and do not plan to give any financial support to me (I currently am self sufficient and do not receive any assistance from them)

Any idea what the cutoffs are? My parents income is high but they have not been very smart with their money and do not plan to give any financial support to me (I currently am self sufficient and do not receive any assistance from them)
As this is a new model for them it's really unknown. If you want a number to think about take your fafsa efc from undergrad and subtract it from the COA (~$90,000). If Columbia's efc calculations are similar to the government's then that will roughly be how much aid you will get

Does anyone know how Financial aid works for people who get off the waitlist? Do they give you your FA package before you would have to accept or decline the admission offer? It doesn’t seem like we are able to do any of the supplemental financial aid forms before getting an actual admission offer, since you need a CU ID to log into NetPartner.

A lot of it is fueled by SDN, sure, but it's not like P&S doesn't know SDN exists and that people will get worried when they see other people getting decisions when they haven't. I was surprised how many people on the interview trail were on top of the threads here and used this website to track the progress of the application pipeline. Adcoms also definitely read these boards. I don't think it's too much to ask that schools deliver decisions in an organized and forthright way.

I'm not familiar with the intricacies of the application process and I'm perfectly wiling to defer to someone who provides a good reason why it would be inordinately difficult to pick a decision date and give everyone their results in a low stress way, but I haven't heard these reasons.
I don't think it makes any sense for P&S to adjust what they like to do because pre-meds get worked up on SDN. They think it's a nice personal touch to receive a call and many applicants like it. If you're nervous about what other people are receiving, then get off SDN.

Does anyone know how Financial aid works for people who get off the waitlist? Do they give you your FA package before you would have to accept or decline the admission offer? It doesn’t seem like we are able to do any of the supplemental financial aid forms before getting an actual admission offer, since you need a CU ID to log into NetPartner.
yes they will let you see your financial aid before

I'm not going to lie... I am pretty upset about my post-II rejection.

However... I am even more upset that my classmate was accepted into Vagelos despite having mediocre grades and cheating on her permanent record.... her father is an instructor at Vagelos.... there was never any doubt that she would be accepted.

This process disproportionately rewards people with money and privilege.

Reactions: 8 users
Such is the way of the world: the connected get ahead while the rest of us must fight. However, we're pretty fortunate just to have gotten interviews at Columbia and will probably have the privilege of training to become doctors.

Such is the way of the world: the connected get ahead while the rest of us must fight. However, we're pretty fortunate just to have gotten interviews at Columbia and will probably have the privilege of training to become doctors.
Well said

Yes it was a privilege to have been interviewed there, and I will become a doctor somewhere else. But I find it insulting how blasse you're being about this issue. Roughly 50% of medical students come from the top SES quintile... this contributes to the doctor shortages in rural and low income areas. The way to try to prevent these issues is to bring attention to it, not blindly accept it as a given.

Reactions: 7 users
I, too, received a Columbia rejection; to be honest, I was quite disappointed. Especially after being told by the admissions committee at Cooperstown that they had high hopes for us! This problem is broader than medicine, to be sure: the pipeline's broken, Theta.

Wait listed here

Not gonna lie... half of the people at my P&S interview were sporting Canada goose and/or air pods

Med schools seriously need to make a bigger effort to have greater socioeconomic diversity (not just ethnic and racial)

Reactions: 6 users
Does anybody know what Columbia’s post-interview rejection policies are? I.e. do they reject a certain percentage of post-interview applicants regardless/are there specific reasons why one might be rejected instead of waitlisted?

I’m pretty shocked I was rejected instead of waitlisted especially considering I’ve gotten into other competitive schools and, from my perspective, performed well in all of my interviews.

I heard that they reduced their number of spots by 25 this year... something about them losing space in one of their hospitals to Mt. Sinai

Also new AMCAS policy is making a lot of schools nervous. I know that, in response, University of Rochester accepted the bare minimum (e.g. 120 acceptances for 120 spots). This implies more wait list movement at Rochester. No idea how Columbia approached this new policy.

Traditionally (Columbia):
1000 Interviews
-200 rejections
-600 waitlist (100 of which get accepted)
-200 initial acceptances

Wait listed here

Not gonna lie... half of the people at my P&S interview were sporting Canada goose and/or air pods

Med schools seriously need to make a bigger effort to have greater socioeconomic diversity (not just ethnic and racial)
I mean, the school is literally debt-free...

Does anybody know what Columbia’s post-interview rejection policies are? I.e. do they reject a certain percentage of post-interview applicants regardless/are there specific reasons why one might be rejected instead of waitlisted?

I’m pretty shocked I was rejected instead of waitlisted especially considering I’ve gotten into other competitive schools and, from my perspective, performed well in all of my interviews.
Sometimes it just be like that... :)
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Puns about usernames aside, it really does feel random sometimes. Almost no one is going to get in everywhere.

I mean, the school is literally debt-free...

Debt free does not mean that they changed the underlying statistics of their student body. It just means that they've reduced some of the burden on the matriculates.

I heard that they reduced their number of spots by 25 this year... something about them losing space in one of their hospitals to Mt. Sinai

Also new AMCAS policy is making a lot of schools nervous. I know that, in response, University of Rochester accepted the bare minimum (e.g. 120 acceptances for 120 spots). This implies more wait list movement at Rochester. No idea how Columbia approached this new policy.

Traditionally (Columbia):
1000 Interviews
-200 rejections
-600 waitlist (100 of which get accepted)
-200 initial acceptances

Ah, so it seems like they do plan on rejecting post-interview - I know some schools only reject in special circumstances (like if you really mess up in the interview or demonstrate really poor personality traits throughout the interview day). This makes me feel better! Can I ask where you got that info from?

Debt free does not mean that they changed the underlying statistics of their student body. It just means that they've reduced some of the burden on the matriculates.
Reducing that burden is a way that medical schools can help promote socioeconomic diversity - by making going to medical school seem like a possible plan for a student from a lower income family. Even though physicians are usually able to pay back their school loans, imagine that you had a lot of debt from undergrad and now you are looking at schools that have a total COA approaching 350-400k total. That's pretty intimidating. Columbia's financial aid program doesn't automatically make everyone have an equal chance to do pre-med internships and get a good gpa and MCAT classes, but it does help reduce a perceived burden so med school may feel like an option for more people. Columbia also offers programs for low income students to help them get paid clinical experiences. They are still trying to recruit a competitive class and they may believe that the answer is not to lower their admissions standards.

Sometimes it just be like that... :)
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Puns about usernames aside, it really does feel random sometimes. Almost no one is going to get in everywhere.

Lol I guess I was asking for this response with my user name! It’s not so much about not getting in but getting rejected instead of waitlisted, since it seems like I’d have to do something particularly atrocious on interview day to get straight up rejected (at least according to other SDN forums).

This is not true. About 20% of their students are not paying anything in tuition, and that's based on financial need. That means at least 20% of their class likely came from a low SES. I would trust that statistic more than the number of students at your interview that had air pods or were sporting Canada goose (whatever that is). Yes, it could be better, but I think that Columbia in particular is doing more than most schools to increase the SES diversity of their class.

Ah, so it seems like they do plan on rejecting post-interview - I know some schools only reject in special circumstances (like if you really mess up in the interview or demonstrate really poor personality traits throughout the interview day). This makes me feel better! Can I ask where you got that info from?

There's an excel sheet circulating around SDN with the exact numbers. I'll try to find it and post it here at some point. Maybe someone else has seen it too and can post it.

This is not true. About 20% of their students are not paying anything in tuition, and that's based on financial need. That means at least 20% of their class likely came from a low SES. I would trust that statistic more than the number of students at your interview that had air pods or were sporting Canada goose (whatever that is). Yes, it could be better, but I think that Columbia in particular is doing more than most schools to increase the SES diversity of their class.
Can someone explain the debt free initiative a little more? I don't understand how the other 80% are paying tuition debt free. Yes some people have their parents paying but I don't believe that 80% are in that situation

Look at the stats on pubmed and etc. 20% roughly matches the national medical school average for people in the bottom 3 quintiles. No **** that they qualify for full financial aid. Yes its great that they are offering financial aid and yes that's better than most schools, but the fact still remains that wealthy people have an extraordinary advantage in this system

I had to pay (despite being broke)
$1000 for MCAT prep
Opportunity cost of missing work for 1 month (est. $2500)
$4000 on applications
$2000 on flights and hotel

Not to mention having to do work study in undergrad, inability to do volunteering, and etc.

Get real dude. Financial aid doesn't magically make up for everything wrong with this system and the people in the waiting room with you at P&S reflects that

Reactions: 2 users
Look at the stats on pubmed and etc. 20% roughly matches the national medical school average for people in the bottom 3 quintiles. No **** that they qualify for full financial aid. Yes its great that they are offering financial aid and yes that's better than most schools, but the fact still remains that wealthy people have an extraordinary advantage in this system

I had to pay (despite being broke)
$1000 for MCAT prep
Opportunity cost of missing work for 1 month (est. $2500)
$4000 on applications
$2000 on flights and hotel

Not to mention having to do work study in undergrad, inability to do volunteering, and etc.

Get real dude. Financial aid doesn't magically make up for everything wrong with this system and the people in the waiting room with you at P&S reflects that
What do you think P&S specifically should do about that? Clearly the system isn't right and some people are more privileged than others, but we are talking about P&S and what they should be doing

Can someone explain the debt free initiative a little more? I don't understand how the other 80% are paying tuition debt free. Yes some people have their parents paying but I don't believe that 80% are in that situation
So it's 20% that are full, but the rest that qualify for aid are likely still receiving something from Columbia. Debt-free means that whatever total COA - EFC is will be paid with scholarships and not loans. A lot of other top-tier schools (like Harvard) have a unit loan of minimum 30k+ that you must take, even if your EFC is 0.

If you are a school that costs 80k per year (sticker price), then the no loans policy roughly means that people in the bottom 3 quintiles (by default) have insufficient funds to pay.

I think the point that Aussie was making is that Columbia may have implemented a no-loans policy, but that doesn’t mean that they’ve suddenly begun accepting more low income students. The 20% full tution students (and their SES) is roughly equivalent to the national average for medical school. I agree that they shouldn’t “lower standards” and that it’s a good first step but let’s point out some problem with the system that can be remedied

1. Volunteering is much more easily undertaken by students that don’t have to pay bills. Clinical experiences (paid and unpaid should be treated equally)
2. AMCAS needs to make practice tests and resources more easily available. Test prep companies price gouge students because they know that 50% are from the top quintile and are willing to pay whatever it takes. This prices out low income students.
3. I do not honestly believe that schools like Columbia are seriously considering all 1000 students that they invite to interview. Honestly kinder to have a smaller pool.
4. A significant number of students (at all schools) are admitted due to legacy status. Legacy is cancer for both undergrad and med school

As a perpetual ranter about the silliness of the admissions process and in particular how tone-deaf most administrators are w/ regards to the struggles of low SES students, I feel the frustration. I've had the opportunity to have many talks with admins from a top 10ish medical school and while I'm sorry about your experience a lot of medical schools are really doing their best considering the situation. I'm addressing each one of your main points below.
1. Volunteering is much more easily undertaken by students that don’t have to pay bills. Clinical experiences (paid and unpaid should be treated equally)

This is true, but from my experience talking to admins they are treated equally, with many schools (at least the ones I know of) preferring paid vs unpaid. I personally don't believe that the type of activities considered clinical experiences (doing anything as long as it's close enough to smell patients) are relevant for the admissions process. Volunteering in a hospital does not shown selflessness, just the fact that you have free time. Actually working with patients, whether that's by taking up a CNA, scribe or EMT position is much more relevant exposure to the medical field and again most adcoms see right through the BS.

2. AMCAS needs to make practice tests and resources more easily available. Test prep companies price gouge students because they know that 50% are from the top quintile and are willing to pay whatever it takes. This prices out low income students.
The FAP gives you access to a wide range of prep resources and the AMCAS-Khan Academy partnership is a step in the right direction. Sure, not everyone qualifies for FAP, but you really don't need a prep course that costs 1000s of dollars to do well on the MCAT. You could argue for expanding FAP, but knowing the amount of effort it takes to write quality test questions (plus testing them, ensuring test security etc.) the fee is decently fair and the cutoff for FAP is quite generous. But screw test prep companies. They're scumbags.
3. I do not honestly believe that schools like Columbia are seriously considering all 1000 students that they invite to interview. Honestly kinder to have a smaller pool.
I think it was LizzyM that talked about the ladder concept, but yeah. Columbia probably did not seriously consider all 1000 students. The tiered post-II communication is indicative of that, but I personally know someone who despite being relatively mediocre in their application, nailed the interview and got in. N=1, though. Having a smaller pool would be predominantly detrimental to low SES students that don't have the resources to build a stellar application.
4. A significant number of students (at all schools) are admitted due to legacy status. Legacy is cancer for both undergrad and med school
Wouldn't really call it significant, unless you describe legacy status very broadly, but otherwise agree with you. Back-door dealing is despicable, but an argument can be made for a school accepting students from their own alma mater or relatives of their alumni as they are much more likely to enroll.

Again, I'm really sorry about your experience in the process and I don't think anything I'm saying will bring any comfort. I'm sure you'll end up being super successful wherever you end up going; but the current admissions system is miles ahead compared to almost everything in the world as far as ensuring fairness. Could we do better? Sure. And we're moving more towards that. But universities have a high degree of institutional inertia and any changes take ages to propagate even if everyone is incredibly well meaning.

However... I am even more upset that my classmate was accepted into Vagelos despite having mediocre grades and cheating on her permanent record.... her father is an instructor at Vagelos.... there was never any doubt that she would be accepted.

Ngl this is a pretty gross and unacceptable case of nepotism from Columbia (as is expected from an Ivy unfortunately), but in terms of fixing the application process and medical education in general, I’m placing a lot of the blame on governing bodies such as the NBME, AAMC, and others. They’re the ones who make Step 1 and Step 2 cost $600 and $1200, ramp out extraordinarily high costs for ERAS and AMCAS apps, refuse to encourage more transparency in the application process (such as pre screening before sending secondaries to allow unqualified applicants to save money), and probably dozens more sins. Unless the actual government steps in, I don’t see how this changes, as there’s no competition to encourage lower prices and better practices.

So it's 20% that are full, but the rest that qualify for aid are likely still receiving something from Columbia. Debt-free means that whatever total COA - EFC is will be paid with scholarships and not loans. A lot of other top-tier schools (like Harvard) have a unit loan of minimum 30k+ that you must take, even if your EFC is 0.
On MSAR and other sources of average indebtedness Columbia's avg indebtedness is listed at around 100-130k, so I guess that's where my confusion comes from. Maybe it's that if a family has a 100k income, for example, then maybe Columbia lists an EFC of 15k (a guess) but in reality the parents aren't going to pay that so then that leads to loans being taken out?

On MSAR and other sources of average indebtedness Columbia's avg indebtedness is listed at around 100-130k, so I guess that's where my confusion comes from. Maybe it's that if a family has a 100k income, for example, then maybe Columbia lists an EFC of 15k (a guess) but in reality the parents aren't going to pay that so then that leads to loans being taken out?

Pretty much

Yeah, they would have to take out loans, but also the indebtedness shown on MSAR is before the debt-free initiative. In the next few years it should drop significantly.

The immense irony of the entire medical school application process is that it promotes integrity while simultaneously eroding it, as seen here and in many other ways. Having been in this position in the past, it gives one pause to consider whether it is even worth playing such a game. I encourage you to maintain your integrity even though those who do not will likely never see consequences. In the end, you have the sole claim to your self-regard.

Reactions: 4 users