2018-2019 Des Moines University (DMU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected post 11/15 interview :(

I had a weird interview day but regardless still an amazing school and would’ve loved to come here.

Best of luck to everyone else out there!! Fingers crossed for you!! :love:

If anyone has any questions about stats or the interview process (not questions LOL) then PM me!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed 11/16 and still waiting to hear back....my portal says 8/8 so I guess no updates there. :unsure: this waiting game is no fun.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have pulse information/ immunization information?

Want to know what shots to get so I can get this done asap.

Members don't see this ad :)
Put a deposit down for ATSU-KCOM earlier today and shortly after got an interview invite for DMU hahah will definitely be attending the interview since a physician who wrote me a letter of rec is a DMU graduate and very excited to see what DMU is all about! Reading the previous threads, it seems that the interview is a little more on the intense side. Is there any specific questions to prepare for or any words of advice to prepare for the interview?

Reactions: 1 user
Put a deposit down for ATSU-KCOM earlier today and shortly after got an interview invite for DMU hahah will definitely be attending the interview since a physician who wrote me a letter of rec is a DMU graduate and very excited to see what DMU is all about! Reading the previous threads, it seems that the interview is a little more on the intense side. Is there any specific questions to prepare for or any words of advice to prepare for the interview?

Not intense at all. Super conversational for me. Always prepare for "why medicine"

Anyone have pulse information/ immunization information?

Want to know what shots to get so I can get this done asap.

From the email, it seems like we dont get access to the pulse/portal until Spring. I’d love to get all of that done and out of the way early on too

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I recently received an Interview invitation here and plan to schedule sometime between January 18-25. Historically do I still have a shot of being accepted even though I am interviewing so late in the cycle, or would I most likely end up on the wait-list if they were interested.

I recently received an Interview invitation here and plan to schedule sometime between January 18-25. Historically do I still have a shot of being accepted even though I am interviewing so late in the cycle, or would I most likely end up on the wait-list if they were interested.

I was wondering the same thing since I will be interviewing around the same time you are. Even if it is for a waitlist position, Id assume we would be near the top of the waitlist which could have a good probability of getting accepted off of it later on.

Def go to the II at DMU. Its gunna be chill next year! :p

Reactions: 3 users
@iamstressed Yeah, I got a complete email like 2 days after submitting like 9/14ish
Just wanted to double check with you about the email you got. Did the complete email start with "we would like to invite you to finish creating your account?" And then provide you with a link to set up your admissions account? If this is the complete email you're talking about, I did get one (which is relieving).

:bow: Great experience interviewing here this week. Going to be a tough decision if accepted

Where on your portal would you see if you've been accepted?

Mine just says 9/9 received

It will say 9/10 received

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview for me wasn't intense at all. The professors actually started out the interview by saying "This is no mean to put pressure on you or stress you at all. We just want to have a conversation with you." The interview was very relaxing and chill for me. The interview was supposed to only lasts 40 minutes but I ended talking with them for 80 minutes (haha.. i had so many questions).
One tip I can give you is that DMU values the supportive learning environment and teamwork. I think it's always a good idea to know the school's mission and value before attending the interview. Don't get too nervous. I know telling you this doesn't help much. But try to relax.

Interview for me wasn't intense at all. The professors actually started out the interview by saying "This is no mean to put pressure on you or stress you at all. We just want to have a conversation with you." The interview was very relaxing and chill for me. The interview was supposed to only lasts 40 minutes but I ended talking with them for 80 minutes (haha.. i had so many questions).
One tip I can give you is that DMU values the supportive learning environment and teamwork. I think it's always a good idea to know the school's mission and value before attending the interview. Don't get too nervous. I know telling you this doesn't help much. But try to relax.

Did they tell your group what the post-interview acceptance rate is?

It likely depends on who you get interviewed by... Everyone was very friendly but the firing rate of questions was very fast and more intense in that regard than any of my other interviews.

It likely depends on who you get interviewed by... Everyone was very friendly but the firing rate of questions was very fast and more intense in that regard than any of my other interviews.
haha, you're probably right. I also had my DMU interview after 2 MMI interviews. Maybe that's why I felt it was very relaxing. Conventional interview format is relatively more relaxing than intense MMI.

Received an II here last night. Excited to see what Des Moines and DMU are like!

Reactions: 5 users
Interview scheduled for 1/10.

Best of luck to everyone!

How long does it usually take back to hear from DMU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got placed on a hold as well. Disappointed. Maybe next year will go better. Too late in the cycle I feel like

I got placed on a hold as well. Disappointed. Maybe next year will go better. Too late in the cycle I feel like
I'm sorry to hear that, but hey you could still get an offer, stay hopeful! I haven't heard anything from DMU yet, unfortunately. When were you complete if you don't mind me asking?

mc_490g I was complete 10/31. I hope I have a chance for an II. We will see.

I was marked complete 10/9, and have yet to receive anything. Did receive an acceptance to KCOM yesterday though, which is exciting. :) If extended an interview invite, do they have available interview dates pretty quickly or is it a month or so before they have dates? ...Just to keep in mind if I'm lucky enough to receive an invite.

I was marked complete 10/9, and have yet to receive anything. Did receive an acceptance to KCOM yesterday though, which is exciting. :) If extended an interview invite, do they have available interview dates pretty quickly or is it a month or so before they have dates? ...Just to keep in mind if I'm lucky enough to receive an invite.
I was complete 10/6 and have yet to receive anything as well. Would love an II here. Just curious, are you IS or OOS?

Accepted !! 11/29 interview

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 7 users
Just got the email that I'm on the alternate list. Anyone know when exactly waitlist numbers go out?

Interviewed on 11/29 and haven’t heard back yet. Should I be worried or do they release decisions in batches? Thanks!

Is there a current OMS I or OMS II that could provide an example schedule for a typical week?

e.g.
Monday: 8am-11am (lecture), 1pm-4pm (lab)....
Tuesday: ....

Reactions: 2 users
Is there a current OMS I or OMS II that could provide an example schedule for a typical week?

e.g.
Monday: 8am-11am (lecture), 1pm-4pm (lab)....
Tuesday: ....

With the change to block schedule this will most likely change a bit but for the most part you are often done with your day around 1-2pm. Now that being said most classes are not required and you may only have to be physically on campus for an hour on Monday and not at all Tuesday. You will have several required lab classes every week Anatomy (1.5 hours), Clinical Skills (1 hour), OMM (1.5 hours). These barring OMM often will not take the full time as well depending on how fast you can get through your material. The schedule does change week to week so you will live by your outlook calendar. I personally, along with many of my class do not attend any non-required lectures and just watch from home at 1.5-2 times speed. I do this because I do not learn much from lecture and I think this is true for most people, but the option to attend lecture will always be there. Let me know if there was anything I did not answer that I can expand upon a bit and I will try my best to answer it or if there is any other questions you or anyone else here might have, I have a bit of extra time thanks to the much needed winter break. - OMS 1

Reactions: 2 users
With the change to block schedule this will most likely change a bit but for the most part you are often done with your day around 1-2pm. Now that being said most classes are not required and you may only have to be physically on campus for an hour on Monday and not at all Tuesday. You will have several required lab classes every week Anatomy (1.5 hours), Clinical Skills (1 hour), OMM (1.5 hours). These barring OMM often will not take the full time as well depending on how fast you can get through your material. The schedule does change week to week so you will live by your outlook calendar. I personally, along with many of my class do not attend any non-required lectures and just watch from home at 1.5-2 times speed. I do this because I do not learn much from lecture and I think this is true for most people, but the option to attend lecture will always be there. Let me know if there was anything I did not answer that I can expand upon a bit and I will try my best to answer it or if there is any other questions you or anyone else here might have, I have a bit of extra time thanks to the much needed winter break. - OMS 1
How do you make friends when you first move to Des Moines lol

Do you need to get a few sets of your own scrubs, or does the school provide them when needed?

Haha great question, I know one thing we did before actually starting classes even before orientation is we arranged some class meet ups. We had the added benefit of having someone in our class being a local and having a large enough space at their house to accommodate everyone. As with everything circles do form fast because with medical school with time already being limited and not everything being required it can be harder latter in the semester to meet people. Joining clubs is always another great way especially if there is something that you are interested in and if you are in to sports there are intramural teams that play regularly. As long as you aren't that person that says their resume and entire interview pitch upon meeting someone you are bound to find a group that you can get along with and this is so important because you will need to take some much deserved breaks some the daily grind.

There are social activities before class starts and you'll make friends as you get to know people in your class. Then you can just kind of pick and choose friends like a normal person would. If you want friends in DSM outside of school, there are plenty of social groups, outdoor activities, etc. around town. Basically, you'll find your people. DSM has plenty of youngin's to go around.

Do you need to get a few sets of your own scrubs, or does the school provide them when needed?

You'll need to provide your own scrubs. I would recommend one dedicated pair that you won't mind burning at some point for anatomy lab and maybe 2 or 3 other pairs for clin med labs and miscellaneous adventures (SIM lab second year, volunteering stuff, whatever.) Plan on spending $30 or so on an OMM uniform, which will be significantly less awful than current second years'.

Scrubs were not provided and are not necessarily 100 % required your first semester. Many people wear them for anatomy lab (myself included) but if you have an old pair of clothes you don't mind never wearing for anything else again this can work. The other setting you would wear them is for clinical medicine lab, but once again if you have flexible clothing this is not a full on requirement to wear, but the ultrasound gel will get your clothes and skin really sticky.

Haha great question, I know one thing we did before actually starting classes even before orientation is we arranged some class meet ups. We had the added benefit of having someone in our class being a local and having a large enough space at their house to accommodate everyone. As with everything circles do form fast because with medical school with time already being limited and not everything being required it can be harder latter in the semester to meet people. Joining clubs is always another great way especially if there is something that you are interested in and if you are in to sports there are intramural teams that play regularly. As long as you aren't that person that says their resume and entire interview pitch upon meeting someone you are bound to find a group that you can get along with and this is so important because you will need to take some much deserved breaks some the daily grind.
Another question: How's the dating scene in Des Moines?

Thank you!
The schedule seems pretty conducive towards student study time. Hopefully, the new block system doesn't alter it significantly.