2018-2019 Des Moines University (DMU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does this school force us to buy their laptop or can we use our own?

What's the next step after submission of document and paying deposit?

Members don't see this ad.

Does this school force us to buy their laptop or can we use our own?

What's the next step after submission of document and paying deposit?
They give you one. Technically you pay for it though. It's mandatory and you HAVE to use it for exams. Beyond that you can use your own, but exams MUST be taken on the given computer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
They give you one. Technically you pay for it though. It's mandatory and you HAVE to use it for exams. Beyond that you can use your own, but exams MUST be taken on the given computer.

That's not exactly true...you don't HAVE to use it for exams and DMU related things, but if you choose to use your own computer, they tell you they cannot help you with any IT stuff. So say the exam software locks out during an exam? If you're on a DMU computer, they'll fix it. If not, tough luck have fun with your 0%. I have friends that use their macbooks but honestly I think I see like 5/220 that choose not to use DMU computers for exams. Hasn't bitten em yet but who knows

Any issues in software that we've had don't seem to affect macbooks for some reason. However, its not like you can forfeit the computer, you're getting and paying for one anyway, so you might as well use it.

I had one that I bought before the cycle in case I went to a school that didn't give one. I now have a computer for my fiancee to use for her small business and for me to use for non-school related things, and i save the DMU one for entirely academic related stuff. Honestly isn't a bad setup overall

Members don't see this ad :)
That's not exactly true...you don't HAVE to use it for exams and DMU related things, but if you choose to use your own computer, they tell you they cannot help you with any IT stuff. So say the exam software locks out during an exam? If you're on a DMU computer, they'll fix it. If not, tough luck have fun with your 0%.

Most people use the DMU computers but we have a few that don't. Any issues in software that we've had don't seem to affect macbooks for some reason. However, its not like you can forfeit the computer, you're getting and paying for one anyway, so you might as well use it.

I had one that I bought before the cycle in case I went to a school that didn't give one. I now have a computer for my fiancee to use for her small business and for me to use for non-school related things, and i save the DMU one for entirely academic related stuff. Honestly isn't a bad setup overall

How good is the computer? Do we keep it after we're done with school?

You pay like a penny at graduation to keep it. Its built into your tuition. And its okay...ours (I'm second year) was a standard HP. The first years this year got a 2-in-1, but the screen was smaller. It came with a pen though. So apparently theyre upgrading the computers. Idk I'm so used to mine and my handwriting sucks so I'm overall happy with my laptop. If I was to want to use it for literally anything else but school though I'd probbaly be annoyed. It's basic and gets the job done for school, would not recommend for gaming or anything like that

Anyone complete October still waiting to hear back? Been almost two months now, starting to get real nervous

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how housing works at DMU and how to find roommates?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

One person just recently posted on the FB page. High probability secondary to sex and timing that is you though...

Hoping on the interview train (2 weeks from today). Excited about this one :woot:

Just got placed on a hold likely due to my lower MCAT. Anyone else on a hold? I was told they like about 505 to 507 for their MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my acceptance today. Hope it goes to one of you all! Good luck!

Congrats on your other acceptances! If you don't mind, where did you decide to go ahead of DMU?

Thank you! I deposited at KCU (KC campus), and I interviewed at my state MD school last week.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you! I deposited at KCU (KC campus), and I interviewed at my state MD school last week.
Im waitlisted at DMU but accepted to KCU-KC myself. Would you mind if i PM you asking about your decision to pick KCU over DMU? And good luck with your in-state MD!

If we assume that "outstanding requirements confirmation" not being complete on the portal is a sign of acceptance, then I am accepted as of this morning! Interviewed 11/5. Will confirm or deny later pending an email.

Reactions: 2 users
If we assume that "outstanding requirements confirmation" not being complete on the portal is a sign of acceptance, then I am accepted as of this morning! Interviewed 11/5. Will confirm or deny later pending an email.

If you click on "Apply Online or View Application Status" at the top (next to "My Account") it might have a decision listed. I didn't check that before I got the email, but it may show up when the outstanding requirements does!

Any current students staying at 3000 grand? I’d like to know how it is living there, noise level, annoyance of washer/dryer, quality of life etc

Accepted just now! Going to be declining to attend medical school in Israel. Best of luck to everyone!

Secondary complete in the beginning of November, and just received II! First II of this cycle so I'm stoked!

There are interview dates available in mid-December and mid-January, but the flight in December is more than double the price because of holiday season (~$500 instead of ~$200, according to Google Flights)... Is it worth it to go in December over January?

Secondary complete in the beginning of November, and just received II! First II of this cycle so I'm stoked!

There are interview dates available in mid-December and mid-January, but the flight in December is more than double the price because of holiday season (~$500 instead of ~$200, according to Google Flights)... Is it worth it to go in December over January?

I just booked my flight a few days ago for the mid December one and it was $250 roundtrip with travel insurance (an absolute steal, I know). Check American Airlines. Technically, it'd be "safer" to interview in December instead of January since it's still rolling admissions

Just got invited to an interview, however I am going to decline. I hope it goes to one of you guys. LM ~ 70 URM OOS

I would interview earlier if possible. I am a first year at DMU and I didn't interview until early February, but had to wait until May to get off the wait list.

DMU and KCU have similar pass and match rates as well as similar performance on the USMLE.
I find the biggest difference to be (besides location) that KCU is a more stressful/ intense curriculum while DMU is more latest back and relaxed. I find I am self motivated and would perform fine at DMU and be in a better mental state.

That's what drew me to DMU. The atmosphere here is very laid back and everyone is willing to help each other.

That's what drew me to DMU. The atmosphere here is very laid back and everyone is willing to help each other.
Are you able to speak on the availability of research experiences at DMU / Des Moines? Would really appreciate it!

Are you able to speak on the availability of research experiences at DMU / Des Moines? Would really appreciate it!
We just had a conference today at school with 102 abstracts submitted. It’s around but you gotta work for it. There’s a research program for first/second years and I lucked into a clinical research gig. We’re the only school in the city but most research comes 3rd and 4th year if you don’t do the school ones.

Basically, you gotta do the leg work and you can find some

Thankful for the interview invite, but will be declining! Hopefully one of ya'll gets it!

We just had a conference today at school with 102 abstracts submitted. It’s around but you gotta work for it. There’s a research program for first/second years and I lucked into a clinical research gig. We’re the only school in the city but most research comes 3rd and 4th year if you don’t do the school ones.

Basically, you gotta do the leg work and you can find some
Most professors do research and are always accepting DO students in their lab that want to do it as an elective. Most students just don't know that you can just ask faculty and do it as an elective. It's actually super easy to do bench research. I'm a master's student and my lab doesn't have a DO student. I can think of quite a few others who don't have any DOs in the lab as well.

Any other peeps interviewing next week?

So many cool ppl going to DMU next year lol

Anyone else really having a difficult time deciding between DMU and KCU?

Anyone else really having a difficult time deciding between DMU and KCU?

Because they are very similar in that they both produce top notch DO's. The determining factor becomes nuances between the two schools. You start comparing things like atmosphere, geographic area etc. and most if not all of those things are subjective.

I think that nobody is going to be able to TELL you which school is the best fit for you.
The curriculums are similar and produce awesome COMLEX and USMLE scores. any difference you try and find is splitting hairs.
DMU has a nicer/ larger gym if that matters to you as well as a basketball court. KCU had a workout room.
KCU has CT tower so students can live on campus which is cool if your single. DMU all housing will be off-campus albeit some students live like right across the street.
The surrounding area of DMU is a lot nicer and a touch more rural. KCU is more populated and the surrounding area is much worse.
DMU seems to have students reporting more relaxed curriculum versus much higher stress coming from KCU students.
Both have optional attendance although it seems KCU students report some random required meetings and such which causes them to report to campus frequently.
DMU has multiple choice anatomy exams from what I have been told, that's refreshing.

I think that KCU being more intense is not necessarily a con...
Some students will perform better when pushed and under stress. Some students are self motivated and will perform just as well under relaxed conditions and be of better mental health.

Reactions: 4 users
I think that nobody is going to be able to TELL you which school is the best fit for you.
The curriculums are similar and produce awesome COMLEX and USMLE scores. any difference you try and find is splitting hairs.
DMU has a nicer/ larger gym if that matters to you as well as a basketball court. KCU had a workout room.
KCU has CT tower so students can live on campus which is cool if your single. DMU all housing will be off-campus albeit some students live like right across the street.
The surrounding area of DMU is a lot nicer and a touch more rural. KCU is more populated and the surrounding area is much worse.
DMU seems to have students reporting more relaxed curriculum versus much higher stress coming from KCU students.
Both have optional attendance although it seems KCU students report some random required meetings and such which causes them to report to campus frequently.
DMU has multiple choice anatomy exams from what I have been told, that's refreshing.

I only applied to DMU and did not apply to KCU but just curious to hear your thoughts on how the two schools compare on 3rd and 4th year rotation sites. This area often gets over looked as more emphasis is put on years 1 and 2 and board scores when comparing schools.