2018-2019 Des Moines University (DMU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I only applied to DMU and did not apply to KCU but just curious to hear your thoughts on how the two schools compare on 3rd and 4th year rotation sites. This area often gets over looked as more emphasis is put on years 1 and 2 and board scores when comparing schools.
I know a little but for roations you are going to want to find someone more knowledgeable than me.

Members don't see this ad.

I only applied to DMU and did not apply to KCU but just curious to hear your thoughts on how the two schools compare on 3rd and 4th year rotation sites. This area often gets over looked as more emphasis is put on years 1 and 2 and board scores when comparing schools.
Honestly rotations are pretty much as overblown as years 1 and 2. they're both established schools so obviously churn out great doctors. Also, what makes a rotation great to one person is different for another. There are pros and cons to doing them in large academic centers with residents, or in smaller centers where its just you and the attending. A lot of it is up to you anyway. In my opinion, 3rd year is for learning the big stuff and procedures (best done at a smaller place where you can actually do it instead of residents) so you can impress at audition rotations on your bigger place where you wanna do residency. Just my 2 cents though.

EDIT: unless the rotation is one of those pure shadowing ones, which doesn't help anybody. But they're not unique to DO schools, just more common

By in large the schools are very much on the same level so it comes down to feel. There isn't a glaring difference between the two

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Honestly rotations are pretty much as overblown as years 1 and 2. they're both established schools so obviously churn out great doctors. Also, what makes a rotation great to one person is different for another. There are pros and cons to doing them in large academic centers with residents, or in smaller centers where its just you and the attending. A lot of it is up to you anyway. In my opinion, 3rd year is for learning the big stuff and procedures (best done at a smaller place where you can actually do it instead of residents) so you can impress at audition rotations on your bigger place where you wanna do residency. Just my 2 cents though.

EDIT: unless the rotation is one of those pure shadowing ones, which doesn't help anybody. But they're not unique to DO schools, just more common

By in large the schools are very much on the same level so it comes down to feel. There isn't a glaring difference between the two
Little off topic but do you know how much dedicated time is given for boards?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current DMU students able to PM me? I am curious about off-campus housing and how the parking is on campus. Debating if I should commute to DMU to save money or pay extra to live across the street and walk.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any current DMU students able to PM me? I am curious about off-campus housing and how the parking is on campus. Debating if I should commute to DMU to save money or pay extra to live across the street and walk.

The current parking situation is a b**** and a half. Until they get the zoning thing figured out with the city, I’d recommend living close by to decrease stress on exam days.

The current parking situation is a b**** and a half. Until they get the zoning thing figured out with the city, I’d recommend living close by to decrease stress on exam days.

What apartment complexes do you recommend living in

3000 Grand is the most affordable option. Windsor terrace is cheap and just fine but not fancy by any means.

There are a couple others right along Grand that my classmates lived in and they were fine with them. One of them is across the street from 3000, but there are also condos right across from 3000 Grand too.

Reactions: 1 users

Wait, what's happening to the parking situation?
Also, I was wondering how much ultrasound is taught in line with the curriculum? I noticed there's an ultrasound course you can take during second year, is it in depth? or no? Thank-you!

Most US skill/ use is going to be built in residency.

Wait, what's happening to the parking situation?
Also, I was wondering how much ultrasound is taught in line with the curriculum? I noticed there's an ultrasound course you can take during second year, is it in depth? or no? Thank-you!

It’s definitely not going to hurt you to be familiar with ultrasound machines, knowing knobology, and a rough idea of when you might use it during your clinical years. It can definitely help you shine in the ED for example.

The parking situation has been a s***show for a year or two now. They don’t have enough spots to accommodate all programs on test day in addition to hosting random events. It turns into one big cluster****. They are trying to turn some of the extra land around the school into more parking but the community is fighting them on it. They need to get approval from the city before accomplishing it.

Not that this should make or break your school choice by any means. Just a factor to consider when picking housing.

It’s definitely not going to hurt you to be familiar with ultrasound machines, knowing knobology, and a rough idea of when you might use it during your clinical years. It can definitely help you shine in the ED for example.

The parking situation has been a s***show for a year or two now. They don’t have enough spots to accommodate all programs on test day in addition to hosting random events. It turns into one big cluster****. They are trying to turn some of the extra land around the school into more parking but the community is fighting them on it. They need to get approval from the city before accomplishing it.

Not that this should make or break your school choice by any means. Just a factor to consider when picking housing.
Is there enough street parking for the apartments near campus? Or do most people pay for a parking spot with their building?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there enough street parking for the apartments near campus? Or do most people pay for a parking spot with their building?
There is zero street parking...lots of lots though and I know a few of the places comes with spots

A little concerned with potentially being sent to North Dakota for rotations...

A little concerned with potentially being sent to North Dakota for rotations...

Where did you hear this? To my knowledge, North Dakota has never been a rotation site by choice. Not to mention you create a rank list for your rotations, so if you don't want to go to ND, just don't rank it, very simple solution to your "concern".

Edit: I just checked our clinical affairs page and saw ND on the site. To be honest, that would be a sweet place to go because the two areas are bigger cities.

Where did you hear this? To my knowledge, North Dakota has never been a rotation site by choice. Not to mention you create a rank list for your rotations, so if you don't want to go to ND, just don't rank it, very simple solution to your "concern".

Edit: I just checked our clinical affairs page and saw ND on the site. To be honest, that would be a sweet place to go because the two areas are bigger cities.
I'm not too familiar with how they determine where you'll be sent for clinical rotation, just hoping they won't drop you in anywhere you're really against.

And to each their own I suppose!

I'm not too familiar with how they determine where you'll be sent for clinical rotation, just hoping they won't drop you in anywhere you're really against.

And to each their own I suppose!

That's fair. As long as you don't rank somewhere, you won't end up there. Usually people get dropped into non-year long for third year, which really isn't a bad thing all the time.

I just don't want something so minute to have a big role in anyone's choosing a school.

That's fair. As long as you don't rank somewhere, you won't end up there. Usually people get dropped into non-year long for third year, which really isn't a bad thing all the time.

I just don't want something so minute to have a big role in anyone's choosing a school.
Agreed...rotations overall get so overblown on here

Commuting is great imo. Parking can suck if you get here past about 830 or 9. Imo if you live close the quality is worse than what you can find at the same price out west of town.

Feel free to pm me. I'm not a DO student so can't answer DO specific questions, but I'm a master's student and I'm from the area.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Commuting is great imo. Parking can suck if you get here past about 830 or 9. Imo if you live close the quality is worse than what you can find at the same price out west of town.

Feel free to pm me. I'm not a DO student so can't answer DO specific questions, but I'm a master's student and I'm from the area.

If one were to live downtown, is there a reliable bus system that goes to/from campus or just the area in general?

For people that interviewed 11/12, do you think we will hear today?

If one were to live downtown, is there a reliable bus system that goes to/from campus or just the area in general?
bus system yes, reliable not as much. But you do get a free bus pass through your ID. Also, I've never looked at the schedule or anything so I could just be missing bus times. I know theres a stop like a block away though

Do you guys think there is still chance for an OOS applicant to get a II? I submitted a few months ago and haven't heard anything :(

bus system yes, reliable not as much. But you do get a free bus pass through your ID. Also, I've never looked at the schedule or anything so I could just be missing bus times. I know theres a stop like a block away though

This is key :xf:

Anybody who interview on 11/16 hear back? I was hoping to know today since deposits are due Friday...

The deposit is due 30 days after your acceptance since it's after November 15

Well I mean for other schools. I don't wan't to take a risk and not make a deposit in case DMU doesn't work out

Hey fam, if y'all accepted, join the Facebook group. kinda dead at the moment.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys my app has been complete for 90 days tomorrow, did it usually take y'all that long before getting back to you? I know they said in the email they'll let us know within 90 days if we'll be invited to interview.

Hey guys my app has been complete for 90 days tomorrow, did it usually take y'all that long before getting back to you? I know they said in the email they'll let us know within 90 days if we'll be invited to interview.
I submitted mine on 10/6 and haven't heard back. Did you get a confirmation email that your app was complete? I am just looking off of AACOMAS.

@iamstressed Yeah, I got a complete email like 2 days after submitting like 9/14ish
Hmm, interesting. I just logged in on their application status site, and it says my application is complete and that they have received 8/8 items... however, I never got an email confirming this. Do you think I should email the admissions office to double check my application is complete?

Hmm, interesting. I just logged in on their application status site, and it says my application is complete and that they have received 8/8 items... however, I never got an email confirming this. Do you think I should email the admissions office to double check my application is complete?
Definitely email them, they're super sweet in the admissions office! They won't mind!