2018-2019 Drexel University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewing tomorrow, any advice?
My faculty interview was very laid back and conversational, wasn’t asked why medicine or anything like that but my story is n=1. Student interview is just lunch with a student and a couple interviewees it’s really chill as well. The student interviewer is just making sure you’re not a total weirdo. It’s not a stressful day, enjoy the ride!

Members don't see this ad.

My faculty interview was very laid back and conversational, wasn’t asked why medicine or anything like that but my story is n=1. Student interview is just lunch with a student and a couple interviewees it’s really chill as well. The student interviewer is just making sure you’re not a total weirdo. It’s not a stressful day, enjoy the ride!

Thanks so much for the reply!

I recently interviewed at NJMS and wasn’t asked “why medicine” there, which I found really surprising. Hopefully interview day goes well!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, I had a question on the required coursework, specifically statistics. I've never completed a formal statistics course, but have had many courseworks that involved statistics (intro biology, genetics, undergrad research). My acceptance letter had no contingencies, so does this mean I'm not required to take a statistics course before matriculation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I had a question on the required coursework, specifically statistics. I've never completed a formal statistics course, but have had many courseworks that involved statistics (intro biology, genetics, undergrad research). My acceptance letter had no contingencies, so does this mean I'm not required to take a statistics course before matriculation?

Drexel's academic requirements are not specific coursework that you must take, but competencies that you must fulfill. From their website, "The College of Medicine will no longer require specific coursework; however, we want applicants to demonstrate competency in certain key areas."

So it's if you can demonstrate that you fulfill the "Probability and Statistics" competency. I'm sure you could do this from your undergrad research (even just reading the literature in your field requires you to learn different statistical measurements). IIRC there was a pre-interview page you should have filled out with check boxes on how you completed certain competencies.

Hope this helps!

Drexel's academic requirements are not specific coursework that you must take, but competencies that you must fulfill. From their website, "The College of Medicine will no longer require specific coursework; however, we want applicants to demonstrate competency in certain key areas."

So it's if you can demonstrate that you fulfill the "Probability and Statistics" competency. I'm sure you could do this from your undergrad research (even just reading the literature in your field requires you to learn different statistical measurements). IIRC there was a pre-interview page you should have filled out with check boxes on how you completed certain competencies.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the fast reply! I did complete the pre-interview course work page, but never had any checkmarks in the statistics column.

Thanks for the fast reply! I did complete the pre-interview course work page, but never had any checkmarks in the statistics column.

I would just double check with them, but I was accepted without taking biochem and it wasn’t an issue (big issue once i took biochem). I think it is more of a soft guideline anyway. You’ll have a stats course and Dr. Gracely teaches it as if you’ve never taken it before.

if hold is a R, why are they giving Rs and not just putting everyone on hold?

Reactions: 2 users
Yes. That class kicked my butt

Do you recommend taking anatomy before med school, or do you think I’ll be fine? (Molecular Biology major, I’ve taken two semesters of biochemistry and Human physiology already)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you recommend taking anatomy before med school, or do you think I’ll be fine? (Molecular Biology major, I’ve taken two semesters of biochemistry and Human physiology already)

I dont think it is needed, honestly. I took a few anatomy courses in UG, and they helped minimally.

If you don’t mind me asking , how did you do on Mcat ?

I took the old MCAT, but a 31 ((11/8/12)(PS/VR/BS))

For people interviewing this week, will we be included in this next clump of decisions? Or do you think we’ll be in February

For people interviewing this week, will we be included in this next clump of decisions? Or do you think we’ll be in February

Maybe? I interviewed close to the last decision week and didn't end up making it in. I would plan for February and hope for later this month!

hey guys, what area in Philly do you recommend for getting an airbnb?

hey guys, what area in Philly do you recommend for getting an airbnb?

Avoid Germantown and Kensington.
East Falls is where the school is.

Admissions told us we would be included in the Feb batch of decisions

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

complete very early August. No hold, no R, just silence. Anyone else?

Reactions: 6 users
do most M1s live in and around east falls and then move downtown during M2 or M3?

Most live in East Falls for M1 and M2 because of the convenience of living close to campus. Third year is variable, many stayed in East Falls, some moved. Center City is only convenient for rotations if you’re at Hahnemann. There is a lot more to do there, so that brings more students down that way.

Hi everyone! I have an interview on 1/17. This questions has probably already been asked, but could someone let me know if any interview tips that could help me prepare? Thank you!

Hi everyone! I have an interview on 1/17. This questions has probably already been asked, but could someone let me know if any interview tips that could help me prepare? Thank you!

I suggest reading over your primary and secondary. If you have research experience know what your projects were and your role like the back of your hand. Know answers to common questions like why medicine and why Drexel. Don’t ramble, be concise, and slow down your speech. Practice answering questions with someone or by recording yourself with your webcam. Have questions prepared for your interviewer because the Q&A and tour will come after if you’re in the morning session

II today, complete in July sometime.

Reactions: 1 users
II today! I don’t think I’m going to plan it, tho. Good luck guys!

II today but do not plan on going either, hopefully this spot goes to one of you!

Lol. This school is trying to get more competitive applicants with high stats in but it seems like they are forgetting the school's rank compared to other school and high stats applicants will likely go to top and mid tier or state schools with qualities they seek. P.S I'm not saying that the school isn't great and I am sure they are getting lots of great applicants! I am just stating facts since I seen mostly people with high stats get II.

Lol. This school is trying to get more competitive applicants with high stats in but it seems like they are forgetting the school's rank compared to other school and high stats applicants will likely go to top and mid tier or state schools with qualities they seek. P.S I'm not saying that the school isn't great and I am sure they are getting lots of great applicants! I am just stating facts since I seen mostly people with high stats get II.
I got an interview invite last week and LizzyM 67, I was curious as to why people love Drexel so much that they get so many applications?

I got an interview invite last week and LizzyM 67, I was curious as to why people love Drexel so much that they get so many applications?
People like Philly which is why it is popular but high stats candidates pick better ranked school apparently which is why so many turning down their interviews. Are you a instate? good luck

Anyone know what Drexel’s post-II acceptance rate is? The stats from USNWR that was posted on r/premed say it’s like 90%+ which is definitely wrong lol