2018-2019 Drexel University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II 2 hours ago! Just declined so I hope it goes to one of you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got excited when I got the financial aid award letter, turned out they are just offering a loan and nothing else :(

Does anyone know if Drexel has need based or merit based scholarships?

Reactions: 2 users
Got excited when I got the financial aid award letter, turned out they are just offering a loan and nothing else :(

Does anyone know if Drexel has need based or merit based scholarships?
Same! and the loans don't even cover tuition lol

Reactions: 1 users
Same! and the loans don't even cover tuition lol
Same here... wondering if this is just some sort of preliminary loan offer with more to come? Doesn't even come close to matching that CoA

Reactions: 1 user
The grad plus loan will cover the difference between the stafford and your cost of attendance.

The max Stafford loan is only about $40,000 per year.

I chatted with Drexel's Financial manager and he said that the way med school loans work is that students will max out fed gov't offering (~35-45k?) and that requires the rest to be done with the grad plus loan. He has a spreadsheet with breakdowns for CoA which is nice. All in all however, it IS very expensive if one needs to loan out all four years (like me lol rip)

I chatted with Drexel's Financial manager and he said that the way med school loans work is that students will max out fed gov't offering (~35-45k?) and that requires the rest to be done with the grad plus loan. He has a spreadsheet with breakdowns for CoA which is nice. All in all however, it IS very expensive if one needs to loan out all four years (like me lol rip)

Yep. RIP me lol

This is the scholarship application. You can if you want consideration. Need parents info though
Would you know when they release that scholarship info? Also, the Med Federal Work Study I assume you have to work to make the money. Would you know what the hours/ types of jobs are? Its pretty ridiculous how low the amount is compared to tuition costs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you know when they release that scholarship info? Also, the Med Federal Work Study I assume you have to work to make the money. Would you know what the hours/ types of jobs are? Its pretty ridiculous how low the amount is compared to tuition costs.

You’re capped at how many hours you can work (I forget how many). Think stuff like the library, or secretarial stuff for a few hours a week. Second year you can make your work study tutoring.

Does anyone know if I could update/send a LOI if I have already previously sent in an update? Thanks

Does anyone know if I could update/send a LOI if I have already previously sent in an update? Thanks
I'm assuming it's too late for a II now?

I got an invite last Friday, complete early September. Logged in on Sat and scheduled an interview for this week! (I think someone canceled and a spot opened up - I'm in the tri-state area and free so it made sense!) In answer to your questions, I saw dates into mid april and they say they interview through the whole month. Send that update letter and best of luck!

Yeah you can just email them another update. Theyll upload it for you.

I tried to email in, they said no since I’ve already uploaded an update. They only allow 1 of each of the things on the portal.

Was placed on hold 1/31...not sure if I should remain hopeful at this point. I only see one other person on this thread who got an interview after being placed on hold.

I was wondering the same. I got placed on pre-II hold at the end of Nov., but don't actually know what the means or if there is every any movement on that list or if it's ranked or whatever else.

Is a hold a soft rejection? Bc I was just out on hold. Is this common for this school? bc I know it is for GW

Is a hold a soft rejection? Bc I was just out on hold. Is this common for this school? bc I know it is for GW
I think 3 people have posted that they got II after being on hold. So the chances aren’t impossible but also not great

Is it wishful thinking/delusional to think that January interviews might hear back next week?

Silence since complete in October. Anyone know if that's basically a rejection this late?

Not at all! Got an II last week and assumed it was a silent R before that, especially since I got no response from an ITA email that I sent many weeks ago.

Do we think people who have interviewed will start hearing back today?
They mentioned in my interview today that decisions for the previous month will be released this coming Monday (most likely)

Ok I just realized that next week we will know results (November person here). This is nerve wracking. I was waiting so long that I sort of forgot , till my friend texted me and asked if I am nervous . Well , NOW I am :)

Reactions: 3 users
Ok I just realized that next week we will know results (November person here). This is nerve wracking. I was waiting so long that I sort of forgot , till my friend texted me and asked if I am nervous . Well , NOW I am :)
I hope you get it!! Good luck :)

Anyone have any news about grants/scholarships? When I spoke with Drexel Central, they said incoming first year students don't qualify for need-based aid, you can only apply for it next year.

Does anyone know if Drexel gives iPads to their matriculants?
Almost positive they do not. If you look at the financial aid I'm pretty sure it has an allotment to buy one, also I think during my interview they were talking about having to buy them. Could be wrong though.

Does anyone know if Drexel gives iPads to their matriculants?

You buy your own.
It sucks you have to, but at the same time, you can get the ipad of your choosing. Mine became a second computer almost for first and second year.

Anyone have any news about grants/scholarships? When I spoke with Drexel Central, they said incoming first year students don't qualify for need-based aid, you can only apply for it next year.

They’re stingy. I will say that much.

Almost positive they do not. If you look at the financial aid I'm pretty sure it has an allotment to buy one, also I think during my interview they were talking about having to buy them. Could be wrong though.
it’s better off that you buy your own anyway. spend the money, buy a nice one so it’ll last all 4 years and you don’t have to worry about system restrictions that they put on the device

Are they known to give little financial aid to their students? Do you know anyone in your class/program that receives need-based help?

That I know of? No.
My EFC was 0 and I got nothing.

if you’re going to drexel plan on paying full COA. makes it a lot less stressful if you’re not expecting anything hahah