2018-2019 Drexel University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you a Drexel student?

Even if it did stay open, damage has already been done and clerkships are done there at the beginning of August... so it does affect students in that regard.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I emailed them in May of last year to ask if a letter packet from my grad program, two undergrad science professors, one research letter and an MD letter from someone I scribed for would work in lieu of the non science as a non traditional 3 years out. They said it was fine.

I will be attending this Fall.
Okay, great - Congrats!! Should I still email or can I just send my letters in?

Okay, great - Congrats!! Should I still email or can I just send my letters in?

thanks ! id just let them know before you send the app in just to double check they still allow that / your letters will work

Members don't see this ad :)
I know one of the higher up people at a site with DUCOM residency programs and the residents are already in the process of finding new positions elsewhere (I believe the ACGME is trying to find placements in the Philly area).

It’s possible that the state and/or university could intervene. The impact on the city and it’s citizens if it actually closed would be drastic. I don’t quite believe it yet.

The university will NOT intervene to save the hospital because it would be a poor decision from a financial stand point. There was an old faculty member (now deceased) who was friendly with the President of Drexel who said he was trying to convince the president to buy Hahnemann. That was 7ish years ago. And has been pointed out, most likely AAHS never wanted to save HUH. The venture to buy HUH and SCHC was AAHS and a real estate investment firm. In time SCHC and building a skyscraper on the HUH property will make them a profit.

There were probably more heath systems than Tower that were interested in HUH. Theres a large health system in western PA that has long been rumored to want in to the Philly market (and had been in talks with a large Philly hospital about acquisition before said hospital merged with someone else).

The university will NOT intervene to save the hospital because it would be a poor decision from a financial stand point. There was an old faculty member (now deceased) who was friendly with the President of Drexel who said he was trying to convince the president to buy Hahnemann. That was 7ish years ago. And has been pointed out, most likely AAHS never wanted to save HUH. The venture to buy HUH and SCHC was AAHS and a real estate investment firm. In time SCHC and building a skyscraper on the HUH property will make them a profit.

There were probably more heath systems than Tower that were interested in HUH. Theres a large health system in western PA that has long been rumored to want in to the Philly market (and had been in talks with a large Philly hospital about acquisition before said hospital merged with someone else).
The university did try to intervene. They filed an injunction.

Drexel sues to block threatened closure of Hahnemann University Hospital

They also talked about purchasing it, but the money wasn’t there, not with the losses it is taking every month

That, and AAHS refuses to show financial stuff to Drexel. AAHS never wanted to keep HUH open.

Can someone tell me approximate cost of living near Drexel? Specifically for a studio apartment? Deciding between here and another place.

Thank you

For the 2019 entering class? Yes, poor @Vladimir7 hasn’t even gotten a decision yet.

For 2020, they haven’t even started.

How you gonna @ me on here and you can't even name drop me at the Townhall or with ur adcom buddies :/. I'll be calling tomorrow. Tell them to expect a very important call and to seize whatever opportunity that is presented because it may never present itself again. Like Hahnemann.

Reactions: 1 users
How you gonna @ me on here and you can't even name drop me at the Townhall or with ur adcom buddies :/. I'll be calling tomorrow. Tell them to expect a very important call and to seize whatever opportunity that is presented because it may never present itself again. Like Hahnemann.

I sorry :(

Still rooting for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
For answering the "If you are a recent graduate, please tell us what you have been doing since graduation" question, would it be inappropriate to include something about spending time with/focusing on my family and friends? In addition to discussing work, volunteering, and hobbies, of course.

I'm still waitlisted at Drexel and have reapplied to the school for the current cycle as well. I've received the secondary for the 2020 application cycle, but now I'm not able to access my portal for the 2019 application cycle anymore. Just wondering, does reapplying remove me from the waitlist, and is there a way to access the 2019 application portal again? Thanks for the support guys

I'm still waitlisted at Drexel and have reapplied to the school for the current cycle as well. I've received the secondary for the 2020 application cycle, but now I'm not able to access my portal for the 2019 application cycle anymore. Just wondering, does reapplying remove me from the waitlist, and is there a way to access the 2019 application portal again? Thanks for the support guys

i dont think you are removed until they officially reject you. i have heard of situations (not at drexel i dont think) where someone reapplied to a school and subsequently got off their waitlist from the previous cycle. id assume this is still possible. as for the portal, id email them.

For answering the "If you are a recent graduate, please tell us what you have been doing since graduation" question, would it be inappropriate to include something about spending time with/focusing on my family and friends? In addition to discussing work, volunteering, and hobbies, of course.

i wouldnt include it because these questions are getting at your productivity. while that is definitely good / healthy, its probably more appropriate to mention in an interview setting.

i wouldnt include it because these questions are getting at your productivity. while that is definitely good / healthy, its probably more appropriate to mention in an interview setting.

Yeah, I had a feeling it wasn't what they were looking for... figured I'd throw the question out there though since they don't specifically mention what they want you to include (whereas for example Tufts says "include in this explanation if you will be a student, working, conducting research, volunteering, etc."). Thanks!

Was offered a place off the waitlist but am withdrawing. I hope my spot goes to one of you worthy people!!

Reactions: 5 users
Recently withdrew my acceptance hope it goes to one of y’all!!

Lol, fancy meeting you here @Meridian17 I had to double check the title of this thread when i saw your comment.

ANYWAY, I have essentially withdrawn from the WL. Idk if it matters just thought i'd let the you all know. Best of luck to those who've been accepted, it's gonna be a tough 4 years and beyond, but we got this. And for those still waiting I hope you get in, should be a decent amount of movement coming up.

@ciestar thanks for all your help fam.
@Et_in_Arcadia_ego It was a fun process hahah but I guess it was never meant to be.. and i'm not down for a LDR so..bye.

Reactions: 10 users
Lol, fancy meeting you here @Meridian17 I had to double check the title of this thread when i saw your comment.

ANYWAY, I have essentially withdrawn from the WL. Idk if it matters just thought i'd let the you all know. Best of luck to those who've been accepted, it's gonna be a tough 4 years and beyond, but we got this. And for those still waiting I hope you get in, should be a decent amount of movement coming up.

@Et_in_Arcadia_ego It was a fun process hahah but I guess it was never meant to be.. and i'm not down for a LDR so..bye.
Where are you going?

Got accepted off the waitlist today. OOS, interviewed in Jan, waitlisted in April

Reactions: 7 users
i dont think you are removed until they officially reject you. i have heard of situations (not at drexel i dont think) where someone reapplied to a school and subsequently got off their waitlist from the previous cycle. id assume this is still possible. as for the portal, id email them.
Lol I just realized I did the same thing, i reapplied and lost access to the 2019 portal, I hope it doesn't bump us off the waitlist. I wouldn't think it would.

Hi all - I've been a lurker for 12+months, but created an account a few seconds ago to say:

I WAS ACCEPTED OFF THE WAITLIST TODAY!!!

I got the call from Dean Berardi-Demo this morning. So thrilled to be joining the class in two weeks! Submitted my secondary in July 2018, interviewed in October, deferred in November, formally waitlisted sometime in March/April, accepted in July 2019.

I AM CRYING.

Reactions: 7 users
Hi all - I've been a lurker for 12+months, but created an account a few seconds ago to say:

I got the call from Dean Berardi-Demo this morning. So thrilled to be joining the class in two weeks! Submitted my secondary in July 2018, interviewed in October, deferred in November, formally waitlisted sometime in March/April, accepted in July 2019.

I AM CRYING.
Glad to hear it :)

I WAS ACCEPTED OFF THE WAIT LIST TODAY'!!!!! JUST FEW MINUTES AGO. I wish the best to rest of the wait listed here. I was interviewed on 2/6

please advise where to look for housing. I am from Miami (fiu). any facebook page

please advise where to look for housing. I am from Miami (fiu). any facebook page
Manayunk, Roxborough, East falls neighborhoods are all close to the medical school. Brewerytown, fairmount, and anything close to center city will be fine too since there is a shuttle Drexel runs from center city to the medical school. Good luck!

Is AVENUE AT THE EAST FALLS IS GOOD PLACE TO LIVE. IS IT WALK ABLE PLS REPLY

Manayunk, Roxborough, East falls neighborhoods are all close to the medical school. Brewerytown, fairmount, and anything close to center city will be fine too since there is a shuttle Drexel runs from center city to the medical school. Good luck!

I AM CRYING.

Omg is orientation really that close?!

I WAS ACCEPTED OFF THE WAIT LIST TODAY'!!!!! JUST FEW MINUTES AGO. I wish the best to rest of the wait listed here. I was interviewed on 2/6

Congrats!

Hoping more people get accepted off the waitlist this week.

Reactions: 3 users

The amenities are nice but the apartments really leave something to be desired. The hallways have a strange smell and tacky decor. I noticed also there is an alarmingly large gap under the apartment doors that will make noise from the hallway a huge issue. I did really like the gym however but not enough to live there. Of the places I visited honestly I’d recommend the preston. Great location, value, apartments are spacious, and management was so lovely. I personally fell for Rittenhouse hill and I’m very disillusioned already by the sleazy leasing office. Hope this helped

The amenities are nice but the apartments really leave something to be desired. The hallways have a strange smell and tacky decor. I noticed also there is an alarmingly large gap under the apartment doors that will make noise from the hallway a huge issue. I did really like the gym however but not enough to live there. Of the places I visited honestly I’d recommend the preston. Great location, value, apartments are spacious, and management was so lovely. I personally fell for Rittenhouse hill and I’m very disillusioned already by the sleazy leasing office. Hope this helped
thanks my friend

Check the Drexel University College of Medicine Class 2023 Facebook page for recommendations about Queen Lane Manor, 5 minutes walk to campus.

For those who are reapplying - starting a new secondary removes our access to the 2018-2019 portal. This doesn’t remove us from the waitlist, correct?

For those who are reapplying - starting a new secondary removes our access to the 2018-2019 portal. This doesn’t remove us from the waitlist, correct?

I don't think it removes us. I sent an email last week to ask if we could still access the portal somehow, but I haven't gotten a reply back yet.

I don't think it removes us. I sent an email last week to ask if we could still access the portal somehow, but I haven't gotten a reply back yet.
Okay, thanks. Yeah it seems they haven’t been quick to respond to emails, phone calls are quite reliable though.

Hey anyone looking for a roommate at Drexel medical school. I am still in the process of completing background and finger prints here in Miami. I am driving there by 7/25.

Hey anyone looking for a roommate at Drexel medical school. I am still in the process of completing background and finger prints here in Miami. I am driving there by 7/25.
I withdrew my A from here a few weeks ago and will be attending Temple down the street. I’m also from Miami and I will be living in rittenhouse hill, heard it’s great.