2018-2019 Drexel University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So we are not gonna know untill August the first day of class?

Acceptance=yay
Rejection= okay good I get to know. Now I can wallow In peace.
Waitlist= infinite pain

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just withdrew my acceptance from Drexel. Hope it goes to one of you guys :)

Reactions: 7 users
Where are people living?
In a refrigerator box on the corner of queen lane and fox st. That’s all my student loans allow me to afford.
But it’s an upgrade from my microwave box from last year so that’s nice.

Reactions: 4 users
Anybody living in Callowhill? Moving there mid-july.

Accepted off the WL this afternoon, but will be withdrawing. Best of luck!

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED JUST NOW!!

Did not expect anything at this time. I'm literally crying. This is my 3rd application cycle. Interviewed 3/5, WL 4/9, and accepted today 6/19. Never give up.

Reactions: 20 users
ACCEPTED JUST NOW!!

Did not expect anything at this time. I'm literally crying. This is my 3rd application cycle. Interviewed 3/5, WL 4/9, and accepted today 6/19. Never give up.

This brought a huge smile to my face.. though I am still waiting to hear from DUCOM, I am truly happy for you. Congrats. Perseverance pays off!

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrawing my spot after being accepted in the first wave. It's been real folks and I wish you the best! :)

Reactions: 11 users
Lol just got the Pre-II R

Just got the acceptance e-mail this morning! Waitlisted in February and sent a update letter + intent in March. Interviewed in October.

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrawing today in favor of my IS school. Interviewed in November, Sent a Letter of Interest in Feb, Deferred in March, Accepted last week. Love DUCOM but felt more comfortable being IS and closer to my support system. Thanks to @ciestar for the insight and willingness to help us pre meds. Best of luck to everyone!!

Reactions: 12 users

(not attending Drexel anymore as I got off the WL at another school last month) but wanted to check in because I have a bunch of M2 friends there, and I saw this article this morning Drexel. M2 friends have said there are MANY clinical sites, so incoming medical students don’t have to worry about the rotations, especially with the new merger with Tower Health... essentially Drexel Med has been preparing for this.

Hospital closing seems to be a bigger issue for the residents currently there right now.

(not attending Drexel anymore as I got off the WL at another school last month) but wanted to check in because I have a bunch of M2 friends there, and I saw this article this morning Drexel. M2 friends have said there are MANY clinical sites, so incoming medical students don’t have to worry about the rotations, especially with the new merger with Tower Health... essentially Drexel Med has been preparing for this.

Hospital closing seems to be a bigger issue for the residents currently there right now.

still no hospital in the city or level 1 trauma hospital for rotations is scary

I should give Drexel a call and ask them if they still don't want me lmao.

I be like "even if I had to drive 3 hrs a day for my clinic rotations i'll still attend fam"

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I've been hearing that the main campus may be moved to Reading, PA. Can any current students let us know if this is true? Also, if any current student is going to the emergency town hall tonight and can let us know what they discuss, we would really appreciate it! Incoming MS1

@ciestar any input? I’m an incoming student btw

Town hall tonight so im not sure yet

There are tons of clinical sites... but the problem for many is that they’re not in Philly or even driveable from Philly everyday.

I feel for the incoming interns especially..

I've been hearing that the main campus may be moved to Reading, PA. Can any current students let us know if this is true? Also, if any current student is going to the emergency town hall tonight and can let us know what they discuss, we would really appreciate it! Incoming MS1

Ive not heard this. I will see what is said.

Town hall tonight so im not sure yet

There are tons of clinical sites... but the problem for many is that they’re not in Philly or even driveable from Philly everyday.

I feel for the incoming interns especially..

Ive not heard this. I will see what is said.

Pls let us know what is said at the town hall, thank you!!

...and lowkey, if you could slip in a note bout your boy Vlad from SDN, that’d be really appreciated. Much love.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Pls let us know what is said at the town hall, thank you!!

...and lowkey, if you could slip in a note bout your boy Vlad from SDN, that’d be really appreciated. Much love.

Well, unfortunately for all of you guys, this town hall was specific for fourth years. So it wasn’t informative for incoming students.

But if you want an update on how it affects the fourth year class..
Only one more rotation at HUH is being allowed for the month of July. They have enough sites to place everyone somewhere, but obviously you have no say in the location. Regardless, you’ll still have your rotation that you were supposed to have.

No. Drexel never owned HUH
It's sad to me because Drexel IS essentially Hahnemann tho... Drexel is the culmination to all of the changes over the past two centuries: From the first women's college in 1850 to Hahnemann, the first college of homeopathy (thru 1959) then the merger of both in 1993 and the official name change in '02 to Drexel University.

Yes, I did memorize all this junk for the interview. No it was not asked about. If it was I'd be chillin in the DUCOM FB class of 2023 group rn, bet -.-.

It's sad to me because Drexel IS essentially Hahnemann tho... Drexel is the culmination to all of the changes over the past two centuries: From the first women's college in 1850 to Hahnemann, the first college of homeopathy (thru 1959) then the merger of both in 1993 and the official name change in '02 to Drexel University.

Yes, I did memorize all this junk for the interview. No it was not asked about. If it was I'd be chillin in the DUCOM FB class of 2023 group rn, bet -.-.

I understand that. I was just addressing that the finanicial issues that plague HUH are not a problem of Drexel itself. Drexel isn’t going anywhere.

It just sucks that despite the fact that Gov Wolf, Mayor Kenney, and Drexel wanted to intervene, the CEO refused to discuss it. This purchase of Hahnemann was never for the hospital, it was for the real estate. Now a lot of people’s lives are disrupted and one of the most vulnerable populuations in Philly is left without their hospital.

Super sad news about HUH. But to everyone else matriculating in the fall I don’t think the sky is falling.

Like others have said, there are a ton of clinical affiliations at DUCOM (some of which are known to have even better/less malignant cultures than HUH) that will be able to accommodate students. From my med student friends, you get out of clerkships what you put into them. So wherever we end up rotating we’ll still get a solid education. Plus, all of the sites still have residents and academic programs so it’s not like we’ll just be stuck with a single attending preceptor like some DO programs have their students do.

I think the absolute worst case scenario is more of us are assigned/asked to do an all-year rotation at Tower Health in Reading since it’s a massive hospital and it seems they can probably absorb the most students. It’s not Philly but it wouldn’t be the end of the world, especially since 90% of your time you’d be in the hospital anyway!

I’m still happy with my choice and excited to meet everyone in August!

Edit: And to reiterate what they said at 2nd look, Drexel is not in any financially precarious situation. They have plenty of money lol and are gonna be fine.

Super sad news about HUH. But to everyone else matriculating in the fall I don’t think the sky is falling.

Like others have said, there are a ton of clinical affiliations at DUCOM (some of which are known to have even better/less malignant cultures than HUH) that will be able to accommodate students. From my med student friends, you get out of clerkships what you put into them. So wherever we end up rotating we’ll still get a solid education. Plus, all of the sites still have residents and academic programs so it’s not like we’ll just be stuck with a single attending preceptor like some DO programs have their students do.

I think the absolute worst case scenario is more of us are assigned/asked to do an all-year rotation at Tower Health in Reading since it’s a massive hospital and it seems they can probably absorb the most students. It’s not Philly but it wouldn’t be the end of the world, especially since 90% of your time you’d be in the hospital anyway!

I’m still happy with my choice and excited to meet everyone in August!

Edit: And to reiterate what they said at 2nd look, Drexel is not in any financially precarious situation. They have plenty of money lol and are gonna be fine.
Yeah DUCOM is fine in terms of money. Its just that they will have to relocate things. I also heard that Tower was eyeing the hospital because of the recent news of DUCOM-Reading and the affiliation with Tower. I think this decision effects residents the most. Like @ciestar said, she barely rotated through HUH. They may just need to affiliate with more community hospitals to make up for the rotation spots lost at HUH

Does anyone have experience with Drexel LOR's? Based on their website, 2 science and 1 non-science teaching faculty appear to be a steadfast rule. I lack the non-science letter and getting one is not an option as a non-trad. Do they make exceptions? Should I save my money here?
Hi, did you ever get an answer for this? I will applying this year and wanted to use one of my PI letters or Hospice volutneer coordinate as my nonteacher ?

It won’t actually close IMO

I mean they officially announced its closing and all of their residents have been given orphan status meaning they are finding new programs to take them in. It’s not really a matter of opinion lol.

I mean they officially announced its closing and all of their residents have been given orphan status meaning they are finding new programs to take them in. It’s not really a matter of opinion lol.
It’s possible that the state and/or university could intervene. The impact on the city and it’s citizens if it actually closed would be drastic. I don’t quite believe it yet.

Hi, did you ever get an answer for this? I will applying this year and wanted to use one of my PI letters or Hospice volutneer coordinate as my nonteacher ?

I emailed them in May of last year to ask if a letter packet from my grad program, two undergrad science professors, one research letter and an MD letter from someone I scribed for would work in lieu of the non science as a non traditional 3 years out. They said it was fine.

I will be attending this Fall.

It’s possible that the state and/or university could intervene. The impact on the city and it’s citizens if it actually closed would be drastic. I don’t quite believe it yet.

They’ve all tried. The State, City, and University.

Appointments and surgeries are being cancelled. Faculty looking for jobs... the school held a town hall with its students yesterday to discuss next steps. Thats a lot for something that “might” not happen.

They’ve all tried. The State, City, and University.

Appointments and surgeries are being cancelled. Faculty looking for jobs... the school held a town hall with its students yesterday to discuss next steps. Thats a lot for something that “might” not happen.
Eh