2018-2019 Eastern Virginia Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawpy

42% Full Member
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Reaction score
2000 characters max each

Briefly describe your exposure to medicine:

What do you think you will like best about being a physician?

What do you think you will like least about being a physician?

Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now:

Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I'm an incoming M1 and will make myself available to answer any questions you may have about the application and interview process. Feel free to ask here on this thread or send a PM. Best of luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Edit: Orientation and classes begin in August, so I'm not able to answer any in-depth questions about the curriculum or community outreach projects just yet. However, fire away with anything related to applications or interviews!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey @MicrobeParade. Do you mind sharing your experiences with EVMS? I really like this school since they focuses on community service a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey @MicrobeParade. Do you mind sharing your experiences with EVMS? I really like this school since they focuses on community service a lot.

Classes don't start until August, so my current experiences have been limited to the interview and second look weekend. I probably should have mentioned that in my previous post! Some current medical students have posted in last year's thread, so hopefully they see this thread and can give you a better answer. That said, I can answer any questions about the application process or interview if you were interested.

Great. I'm applying to EVMS this cycle and wonder if you can share what they look for in the application?

Received an email today from the diversity office basically telling me to apply...idk if I should considering I'm OOS

Received an email today from the diversity office basically telling me to apply...idk if I should considering I'm OOS
Received that email too! Realized it was a general email, but it was already on my list to apply so it just solidifed it haha. I’m OOS as well

Reactions: 1 users
Great. I'm applying to EVMS this cycle and wonder if you can share what they look for in the application?

I can! EVMS really likes students who value community service. The curriculum has a major service learning component. Everyone does a required longitudinal service learning project related to a specific scholarly track, which culminates in a capstone project during fourth year. There are a ton of optional activities students can participate in throughout their preclinical years. HOPES Clinic is one major example-- it's pretty popular and a great way to get patient care hours in. We actually get to do a community service project as part of our orientation, which is pretty exciting. You can view all of the different projects on the website.

You can definitely apply! Although EVMS loves its Virginians, a fair number of students from our entering class (including myself) are OOS. Looking at last year's thread, post-interview waitlist movement was relatively high for OOS applicants, so if you're OOS and make it to the interview stage, you may be at an advantage!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the 503 MCAT screen for OOS is strict here?

Does anyone know if the 503 MCAT screen for OOS is strict here?
When I applied last time with a 502, they would not let me fill out a secondary application, so if the 503 screen is still a rule I would say yes they're strict on it

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm a current M3! Do you have any particular questions about EVMS?
What do you think they’re looking for in an applicant and what do you think makes the school unique compared to other schools?

When I applied last time with a 502, they would not let me fill out a secondary application, so if the 503 screen is still a rule I would say yes they're strict on it
Thank you for your info. Did you speak to anyone from admission before applying? I am sorry to hear that the screen was so strict. Wish it was a 500 or something.

Thank you for your info. Did you speak to anyone from admission before applying? I am sorry to hear that the screen was so strict. Wish it was a 500 or something.
No biggy! It motivated me to improve :) I didn't talk to anyone before applying but I spoke to them afterwards and they were really nice about it and felt bad that I missed the cutoff by a point, so they're really helpful (at least the person I spoke with)

Hey @mcatjelly. What do you think about community service opportunity at EVMS and how about research?

I can help with this question. Community service with EVMS starts from orientation and continues throughout your time at the institution. By no means is it forced on you, other than the community service requirement (which isn't overwhelmingly bad).However, if one was to get more involved in service there are various on campus groups that can facilitate that like tutoring at the local elementary schools, health fairs in the malls, halloween events hosted by the school for the community (which is really fun and almost everyone participates) and more.

@dr.lenkim Thanks for the reply.

I am interested in this program - Eastern Virginia Area Health Education Center (EVAHEC) program. I read their website and think it resonates with what i want to achieve in med school. can you elaborate on this please?

You have to go through all the other sections of the app (including putting in all coursework) before you can see the prompts so I'll post them when I get there

2000 characters max each

Rejected :( 3.78/515 OOS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damnnn that's crazy. Don't get down on yourself though, you will likely get into a fantastic school with those numbers. It's still so early. Good luck!

What!! Welp now I'm waiting for mine too lol. Cheers to us OOS people man

With those stats, you'll definetly get in somewhere else man!

Anyone in-state receive a secondary yet?

So I just submitted the secondary and on the My Workspace page it says we can upload recommendation requests. If I sent letters to the school on the AMCAS primary application, do I have to upload them manually on their secondary or will it automatically add the letters to the school?

Rejected, OOS. I respect EVMS a lot for doing pre-secondary rejections.

Following
Curious, what is the purpose of writing 'following' on every thread? If you want to be alerted you can watch the thread. There should be a watch thread button on the top right

Reactions: 2 users
Curious, what is the purpose of writing 'following' on every thread? If you want to be alerted you can watch the thread. There should be a watch thread button on the top right

New to SDN's function lol that's why

Just got the complete email, secondary submitted 7/6

2000 characters max each

Awesome! Please post it when you get a chance!