You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2018-2019 Eastern Virginia Medical School
Started by Lawpy
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted787552
It took me several weeks. Since they screen, it's taking longerHow long does it take to receive a secondary? I submitted on the 18th and have a 3.8+/513 with ties to the state so hopefully was not screened out...
I submitted on the 19th and got mine today.How long does it take to receive a secondary? I submitted on the 18th and have a 3.8+/513 with ties to the state so hopefully was not screened out...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted on the 19th and got mine today.
Just got mine earlier today too. Do they screen heavily?
.
Last edited:
9
936117
what.... i know someone with lower stats who got secondaries...Rejected 🙁 3.78/515 OOS
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You guys think its okay to submit after slightly more than 2 weeks? Like maybe 16 days after receiving?
It might be. I Wouldn't risk it though.You guys think its okay to submit after slightly more than 2 weeks? Like maybe 16 days after receiving?
I know it sounds silly but Applicant A submitted within 5 days. You submitted in 16 days. Assuming everything else is equal, I would say they would choose Applicant A based off following directions(I think they want it within 2 weeks if I remember correctly) and getting it done within a timely manner.
I could be completely wrong about that though and the process is random so who know so.
The secondary isn't too bad. Just devote a few hours to it one night, have someone proof read it and send it in.
You guys think its okay to submit after slightly more than 2 weeks? Like maybe 16 days after receiving?
Yes, I think if would be fine submitting after 16 days. They state in their secondary that it must be completed in 30 days. They don't have time to look at every applicant's return time.
Yes you are totally fine--submit it as soon as you can 🙂You guys think its okay to submit after slightly more than 2 weeks? Like maybe 16 days after receiving?
it took me 2 week till it was "complete". I think they are just busy. If you are in-state, make sure you sent them supporting documents.Submitted secondary 7/12 but I still have the message "Your payment has been successfully received and you will be notified when your file is complete." still haven't received that email. LoR complete and MCAT complete for all other schools. Anyone else not complete yet?
Where are you supposed to do this, and what documents are needed? Lolit took me 2 week till it was "complete". I think they are just busy. If you are in-state, make sure you sent them supporting documents.
When I submitted the secondary (I am in-state), they sent me an email the next day asking for documents (something along the lines of "for every question that you marked as "YES", please provide supporting documents). I ended up sending them the following:Where are you supposed to do this, and what documents are needed? Lol
1. copy of my state ID
2. Car registration
3. Voters card
4. VA taxes for last 2 years.
If you haven't received that email and it has been a few days, I would just call them. I talked to them 3 times over the phone and they are so friendly and helpful!!!
Hmm that's interesting and definitely very helpful. I am also in state and got the complete email earlier this week. I will give them a call and see what they need. Thanks!When I submitted the secondary (I am in-state), they sent me an email the next day asking for documents (something along the lines of "for every question that you marked as "YES", please provide supporting documents). I ended up sending them the following:
1. copy of my state ID
2. Car registration
3. Voters card
4. VA taxes for last 2 years.
If you haven't received that email and it has been a few days, I would just call them. I talked to them 3 times over the phone and they are so friendly and helpful!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
good luck!!!Hmm that's interesting and definitely very helpful. I am also in state and got the complete email earlier this week. I will give them a call and see what they need. Thanks!
so have you heard anything from them yet, as far as "hold/rejection/interview"?
Nothing yet, I've only been complete for a couple days so I doubt it's actually been reviewed in detail by the committee.good luck!!!
so have you heard anything from them yet, as far as "hold/rejection/interview"?
And thanks, gl to you as well!
Pre-secondary rejection today; 3.48/508. Best of luck to y'all
I actually had emailed them after I got the "complete" email because they never asked me for in-state verification papers, and they said if you have received the notification that you're compete then they don't need any supporting documents from you. I guess they have some odd criteria for who needs to send it in or not. So you probably don't need to worry about it!Hmm that's interesting and definitely very helpful. I am also in state and got the complete email earlier this week. I will give them a call and see what they need. Thanks!
I actually had emailed them after I got the "complete" email because they never asked me for in-state verification papers, and they said if you have received the notification that you're compete then they don't need any supporting documents from you. I guess they have some odd criteria for who needs to send it in or not. So you probably don't need to worry about it!
that's weird... well, as long as everything works out. It is my biggest fear, that I think application is complete, but in reality I am missing something 🙂.
Rejected presecondary. OOS 3.3 and 525. Good luck everyone!
Rejected presecondary. OOS 3.3 and 525. Good luck everyone!
What, how?! your scores are so high!
What, how?! your scores are so high!
Maybe my GPA was too low? I'll still appreciate any school that will actually screen before I send them 100 bucks for a secondary.
Maybe my GPA was too low? I'll still appreciate any school that will actually screen before I send them 100 bucks for a secondary.
I know, right? it probably means that they are less money focused. I love that.
Maybe my GPA was too low? I'll still appreciate any school that will actually screen before I send them 100 bucks for a secondary.
wow, I'd still think adcoms would forgive that low GPA considering your MCAT 😕
I thought I saw somewhere (either EVMS or VCU) that their OOS screen is pretty set at 3.45Maybe my GPA was too low? I'll still appreciate any school that will actually screen before I send them 100 bucks for a secondary.
Oh great this is enormously helpful. Thank you!I actually had emailed them after I got the "complete" email because they never asked me for in-state verification papers, and they said if you have received the notification that you're compete then they don't need any supporting documents from you. I guess they have some odd criteria for who needs to send it in or not. So you probably don't need to worry about it!
First axe of the cycle.. 506, 3.9+, OOS. Wasn’t expecting them to take me lol and I appreciate them saving me 100 bucks! Best of luck everyone!
Actually, minimum is 3 or 4 if you are in/completed a graduate program. Neither their site nor MSAR list a maximum, so just be reasonable in the amount of letters.Yall know the max # of letters EVMS takes? I know minimum is 3.
Just received a secondary 1 week after being verified (7/24). OOS. 3.97 GPA and 509 MCAT.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do we know when IIs start coming out?
Do we know when IIs start coming out?
Looking through last year's thread, looks like about middle of August. Would start to expect seeing them going out in a couple weeks is my best guess
the suspense is killing me 🙂Looking through last year's thread, looks like about middle of August. Would start to expect seeing them going out in a couple weeks is my best guess
D
deleted938835
Anyone else unable to upload a picture? It keeps saying it's too big but I checked and it's 2" x 2". Or does anyone know how to resize their images so that it works?
I had to do that. I think I ended up using Paint3D to resize mine.Anyone else unable to upload a picture? It keeps saying it's too big but I checked and it's 2" x 2". Or does anyone know how to resize their images so that it works?
I had to keep taking screenshots on my computer to crop smaller.Anyone else unable to upload a picture? It keeps saying it's too big but I checked and it's 2" x 2". Or does anyone know how to resize their images so that it works?
Anybody submit 7/12 or earlier and still not complete? OOS
Anybody submit 7/12 or earlier and still not complete? OOS
Yeah I’m in not complete 🙁
Anybody submit 7/12 or earlier and still not complete? OOS
OOS
Secondary received 7/6/2018
Submitted 7/26/2018
Complete 8/1/2018
Weird
OOS
Secondary received 7/6/2018
Submitted 7/26/2018
Complete 8/1/2018
Weird
That is weird, Im probably gonna call them, I have been complete at almost all other schools
I thought I saw somewhere (either EVMS or VCU) that their OOS screen is pretty set at 3.45
I think EVMS does a holistic screen. I got a secondary w/ a 3.1 gpa
Just got the complete email today, submitted and sent in my IS documents by 7/30. My portal still says "you will get an email when your file is complete," is this the case for everyone else as well?
WerbenJaegerman
Full Member
that's the case for meJust got the complete email today, submitted and sent in my IS documents by 7/30. My portal still says "you will get an email when your file is complete," is this the case for everyone else as well?
took about 5 days after verification for meHow long was it taking y'all to get a response for a secondary? My primary was verified July 27th, I have received secondaries from all other schools.
OOS 3.97 gpa and 511 MCAT.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
6
663404
Hey, I’m about to matriculate M1 here. As you’ve heard, they value community service of some form or other. Beyond that, the things I’d say that stood out to me...
1. The ethics question on the interview. You can prepare but you can’t imagine what it’ll be. Mine was terrible. They want to see your thought process, more than specific knowledge, though.
2. It seems they really try to screen out toxic/gunners/douchebags.
3. They DONT have an in house ortho residency. Not that you can’t match ortho here (look at year before last match list), but this will slightly complicate things.
I applied in August of last year and didn’t get an interview invite till February. March interview, waitlisted “middle third,” offered a spot in May.
1. The ethics question on the interview. You can prepare but you can’t imagine what it’ll be. Mine was terrible. They want to see your thought process, more than specific knowledge, though.
2. It seems they really try to screen out toxic/gunners/douchebags.
3. They DONT have an in house ortho residency. Not that you can’t match ortho here (look at year before last match list), but this will slightly complicate things.
I applied in August of last year and didn’t get an interview invite till February. March interview, waitlisted “middle third,” offered a spot in May.
6
663404
Ever been a patient? Ever had family in the hospital? I wrote about that kind of stuff and I got in.For their prompt asking for your exposure to medicine, how do you go about this without redescribing your work/experiences in the healthcare field from the primary application?
Any advice on how to best prepare for these? I'm usually best at brainstorming answers to common questions and winging the rest when it comes to interviews. I don't know if I can really do that for ethical scenarios.1. The ethics question on the interview. You can prepare but you can’t imagine what it’ll be. Mine was terrible. They want to see your thought process, more than specific knowledge, though.
Do we know when IIs start coming out?
The first II's came out mid-August, approximately once per week. They continued to give II's once every week until mid-October, when post-interview decisions were released. They seemed to alternate their decisions each week after that, giving II's one week and post-interview decisions the next.
Don't be surprised if it takes you a while to hear back before interviews. They do a really good job of looking at your entire application holistically, and if they need clarification on anything they will ask (and it won't necessarily hurt your application if they do!). As a personal example, I submitted my secondary early August, got an II in late October, interviewed in December, and got accepted two weeks after the interview.
EVMS doesn't explicitly tell you if your application is on hold. They do reject pre-interview as well as pre-secondary, so if you're sitting in silence it likely means your application is a) in the queue to be reviewed, b) on hold for re-review, or c) on the interview waiting list.
For their prompt asking for your exposure to medicine, how do you go about this without redescribing your work/experiences in the healthcare field from the primary application?
The rule of thumb is to not repeat anything mentioned in AMCAS, but since this is SDN I know I'm preaching to the choir. Talk about what you learned from those experiences and the impression they had on you as a person. As another poster stated, if you have any experiences that you didn't mention on AMCAS (such as if you, a friend, or a family member was a patient), you can definitely talk about those as well. You can even talk about exposure to medicine outside of direct patient care, such as community health, insurance, billing, and how to communicate with other providers and/or patient families. Regardless of what you choose to write about, it's best to look at the school's mission and talk about how your experiences relate to it. It also helps to reiterate how your background makes you a good fit for the school's mission.
Last edited:
6
663404
Any advice on how to best prepare for these? I'm usually best at brainstorming answers to common questions and winging the rest when it comes to interviews. I don't know if I can really do that for ethical scenarios.
There is a lot of knowledge you need as background, for how to address ethical and legal questions, the link below is a good place to start. Cover all these topics.
U of W School of Medicine Bioethic Topics
Do some reading on real life ethical scenarios and work through how you’d handle it.
Seems they are more interested in your baseline knowledge and thought process, and how you support your position, and how you reason through things as a human being. Just show you aren’t a human calculator/IR spec machine and you’ll be fine.