2018-2019 Indiana University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was debating this earlier today too. I ended up taking it to the Dean of Students (who has probably seen similar disclosure forms) and left it up to her to decide how to deal with it. The FERPA language is very confusing considering there is no straightforward statement saying we cannot see the form after it's filled out. I think if you're in doubt either have your school mail it, or fill it out and give it back to you in a sealed envelope like a transcript.
That makes sense, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Still waiting for that initial confirmation lol. When does Indiana start rejecting people?

Hey so I've gotten an II but when I look at my applicant portal it says my rec letters haven't been uploaded even though on the AMCAS application they have all been received and uploaded. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey so I've gotten an II but when I look at my applicant portal it says my rec letters haven't been uploaded even though on the AMCAS application they have all been received and uploaded. Is anyone else experiencing this?
I am too. I think like every other applicant portal they will take their time with uploading letters, or at least wait until your secondary fee is paid.

According to last year's thread, letters of rec will be marked received after they receive the two forms.

I just called admissions because my primary was sent on the first day possible and I still haven't received a confirmation email. She said it's normal to have to wait this long, and as soon as they get to my app the email will come.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I just called admissions because my primary was sent on the first day possible and I still haven't received a confirmation email. She said it's normal to have to wait this long, and as soon as they get to my app the email will come.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Thanks for checking! They're the last school I have to hear from.

How do you guys feel about submitting 2 science letters and 1 personal versus the recommended? I haven't had a non science professor for an extended amount of time which is why I was wanted to submit 2 science letters.

I just called IU regarding their letter of rec requirements. Unlike the language used in their document attached to the invite, you cannot substitute a committee letter for the three required letters (as you usually can at other schools). I am in a unique situation and do not have a science letter due to some stringent committee policies at my school, but I do have a committee letter. They are allowing me to substitute my committee letter (which was essentially written by many of my science professors) for the science letter, as long as I still have a non-science letter and a personal letter. If you are in a unique situation I encourage you to give them a call, but I would try to follow their requirements as closely as possible, because the person I spoke to was emphasizing the importance of a non-science letter.

Submitted a primary to IU as an OOS applicant a few days ago. From what I know, they don't have a secondary correct?

My committee letter still needs to be released to schools through AMCAS. What can I expect from IU? Do they send an email just for overall completion or will I also get an email letting me know that they received my primary application and still require the LoR?

Submitted a primary to IU as an OOS applicant a few days ago. From what I know, they don't have a secondary correct?

My committee letter still needs to be released to schools through AMCAS. What can I expect from IU? Do they send an email just for overall completion or will I also get an email letting me know that they received my primary application and still require the LoR?

They send you a confirmation email once they have received your primary app. They don't need LOR unless you are invited for an interview, and you will not hear from them after that confirmation email until interview invite or rejection. After an II you then have access to a portal where you can see if your LOR and other materials are in yet.

They send you a confirmation email once they have received your primary app. They don't need LOR unless you are invited for an interview, and you will not hear from them after that confirmation email until interview invite or rejection

Any idea of how competitive it is for OOS applicants? I obviously have seen the MSAR numbers and although they look nice compared to most state schools, I have a feeling that the rate is skewed towards applicants from surrounding states (I am from NC) and/or significant ties to the state (of which I have none, unless you consider sports LOL).

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea of how competitive it is for OOS applicants? I obviously have seen the MSAR numbers and although they look nice compared to most state schools, I have a feeling that the rate is skewed towards applicants from surrounding states (I am from NC) and/or significant ties to the state (of which I have none, unless you consider sports LOL).

As far as I know, IU is not particularly friendly to OOS applicants, but I haven't heard of them being super unfriendly, either. I am IS, and word on the metaphorical street among IS people I know in person is that your chances at IU are very, very solid if you are IS with good stats, what with the massive class sizes and being Indiana's only state school. It's hard to predict who they choose to interview from their OOS pool

I was debating this earlier today too. I ended up taking it to the Dean of Students (who has probably seen similar disclosure forms) and left it up to her to decide how to deal with it. The FERPA language is very confusing considering there is no straightforward statement saying we cannot see the form after it's filled out. I think if you're in doubt either have your school mail it, or fill it out and give it back to you in a sealed envelope like a transcript.

Update on this issue, if anyone was wondering. My dean decided to send the letter directly to IU

Reactions: 1 users
I am OOS from a non-surrounding State and got an interview, but I was born there (which is obviously listed on AMCAS)

Submitted primary on 7/13 and still nothing....this is the only school I am waiting on.

Anyone know how strict they are about their requirement for having shadowed 3 physicians? I really want to apply here but I've only shadowed two physicians lol

Anyone know how strict they are about their requirement for having shadowed 3 physicians? I really want to apply here but I've only shadowed two physicians lol
Where do you see their requirement of shadowing 3 physicians? I only shadowed 1, for like 20 hours total, and have II.

Last edited:
Where do you see their requirement of shadowing 3 physicians? I only have shadowed 1, for like 20 hours total, and have II.

Yeah I've never heard of that before either

I always took that as a recommendation, not necessarily a requirement.

Thanks for the answers! I'll be sending my app in here then. For those curious, this is pulled from their website: "
Application Requirements
MD applicants must have completed ninety (90) credit hours from an accredited US or Canadian institution of higher education as well as the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). Applicants should shadow a minimum of three physicians and participate in meaningful medical service-learning activities before applying to IU School of Medicine."

Thanks for the answers! I'll be sending my app in here then. For those curious, this is pulled from their website: "
Application Requirements
MD applicants must have completed ninety (90) credit hours from an accredited US or Canadian institution of higher education as well as the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). Applicants should shadow a minimum of three physicians and participate in meaningful medical service-learning activities before applying to IU School of Medicine."

Damn, never heard of a medical school going THAT SPECIFIC on requirements, especially for something like shadowing...

That being said, glad I met that requirement without even knowing about it. Whew.

I'm still confused about the form that requires the Dean of Admission's signature. Will our interviews be scheduled prior to submitting this form or after? I've already submitted the graduate application and selected my preferred interview site.

I'm still confused about the form that requires the Dean of Admission's signature. Will our interviews be scheduled prior to submitting this form or after? I've already submitted the graduate application and selected my preferred interview site.

Prior. All you need to do in order to get the interview date is choose a campus and do the graduate application/pay the fee.

How are you all submitting your Legal Disclosure, via email or submitting in person?

How long do we have to submit the dean disciplinary record form? I went to a huge state school and am having trouble figuring out who to contact. I keep getting referred to different people. I'm hoping to get it done tomorrow but am not sure I'll be able to. . .

From what I understand, the letter requirements are fairly flexible. The only one I know they won't substitute is an LOR from a science professor who taught you.
I spoke with the admissions office today and they confirmed this.

Anyone still waiting for the confirmation emails?

Yes. My primary was verified 7/23 and I have not heard a peep from here

How long do we have to submit the dean disciplinary record form? I went to a huge state school and am having trouble figuring out who to contact. I keep getting referred to different people. I'm hoping to get it done tomorrow but am not sure I'll be able to. . .

The portal says it needs to be turned in within 30 days after the interview.

I am, submitted my primary on May 31st and still nothing. Starting to wonder what's going on over there. It definitely shouldn't be taking this long for just a confirmation email, not even a secondary or II.

Damn, I thought I was waiting for a bit (a week lol).....

I am, submitted my primary on May 31st and still nothing. Starting to wonder what's going on over there. It definitely shouldn't be taking this long for just a confirmation email, not even a secondary or II.
You sure it should say this:

"Indiana University School of Medicine Office of Admissions has received your AMCAS application. The Admissions Office will notify you of our decision via email once your application has been reviewed. We encourage applicants to check their email frequently.

Thank you for considering Indiana University School of Medicine for your medical education."

LOL i got nothing :( Should we call them or wait patiently?

Really dumb question here... but does II mean Interview Invitation?
Fairly new to sdn and thought at first II was short for secondary. like the roman numeral 2.
Now, using context clues, it has to be Interview Invite, ya?

I also applied to this school, primary application verified july 27. Havent heard back, not even a confirmation email.
OOS, 511 MCAT, 3.97 GPA

Really dumb question here... but does II mean Interview Invitation?
Fairly new to sdn and thought at first II was short for secondary. like the roman numeral 2.
Now, using context clues, it has to be Interview Invite, ya?

I also applied to this school, primary application verified july 27. Havent heard back, not even a confirmation email.
OOS, 511 MCAT, 3.97 GPA

Welcome to SDN :) Yes, II is interview invite, super common misconception tho! And if you go back a bit in this thread you'll see loads of people don't receive confirmation emails for a long time, it's very common with IU so I wouldn't worry about it :) There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to the confirmations that we have been able to elucidate

Welcome to SDN :) Yes, II is interview invite, super common misconception tho! And if you go back a bit in this thread you'll see loads of people don't receive confirmation emails for a long time, it's very common with IU so I wouldn't worry about it :) There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to the confirmations that we have been able to elucidate

I think the confirmations go roughly like this early in the cycle: EDP>High stats IS>High stats OOS with ties to Indiana

I think the confirmations go roughly like this early in the cycle: EDP>High stats IS>High stats OOS with ties to Indiana

While I definitely agree with EDP and high stats IS going out first, not exactly sure if they filter for high stats OOS with ties next or just high stats everybody else.... I have some ties but haven't communicated them and they wouldn't be in my primary and I was confirmed freaky fast (not complaining was very happy of course!)

Has anybody else submitted the end of June and no complete email yet?

Thank you for the clarification! I can now read these forums without being in a constant state of confusion. haha

Anyone get an II date yet? My portal says Dean of Students evaluation and legal disclosure and prerequisites complete with a green check mark, but not my LoR yet.

Anyone get an II date yet? My portal says Dean of Students evaluation and legal disclosure and prerequisites complete with a green check mark, but not my LoR yet.

Nothing yet.

My friend was just rejected, so I guess you can say they started rejecting now.

How much is the secondary fee?