2018-2019 Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a background check email as well but I haven't hit my decision date with JHU yet, probably from another school i guess
Can you message me real quick? I have a question

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! We’re the behavioral questions hard?

Nope! They were very standard like a challenging situation you've faced if i remember right. I just remember i wasn't thrown off at all so pretty sure they're the same type you hear everywhere

I have an interview scheduled for later in February, and I have heard some people mention or joke about how interviewees at that point are interviewing for the wait list. Can anyone comment on this or if it is a mere assumption? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview scheduled for later in February, and I have heard some people mention or joke about how interviewees at that point are interviewing for the wait list. Can anyone comment on this or if it is a mere assumption? Thank you!
that's doubtful, and even if it was true, hopkins has a ton of waitlist movement from what i've seen in the past so you should be okay whichever way haha, just focus on killing the interview

The assistant dean of admissions made a point to say during interview day that people who interview late at johns hopkins are always being seriously considered for acceptance. Either way, focus on doing well.

Reactions: 1 users
that's doubtful, and even if it was true, hopkins has a ton of waitlist movement from what i've seen in the past so you should be okay whichever way haha, just focus on killing the interview
Does anyone have any insight as to why Hopkins has a lot of waitlist movement? Seems like with such a great school it would be difficult to pass up for something else.

Does anyone have any insight as to why Hopkins has a lot of waitlist movement? Seems like with such a great school it would be difficult to pass up for something else.
Location and not a ton of financial aid would be my guess, and also the fact that people getting into hopkins likely have other top acceptances making their decisions a bit tougher

Reactions: 2 users

You'll not be interviewing for the waitlist – given the semi-rolling nature, all "blocks" of interviewees are considered with the same weight and proportionate numbers of acceptances are issued for each batch.

Will second @reddyice – 1) location and 2) lack of merit aid seem to be the major dissuading factors.

Baltimore is a polarising locale; some love it, some loathe it. (Which is also true with most cities). I highly recommend attending Second Look and staying with current students so get a snapshot of what living and learning in Baltimore can look like.

That said, I commend JHU for their need based aid (lol obviously if we could do an NYU that'd be even better, but we do what we can... pssst hey Bloomberg if you're feeling generous again...). If you had to ask me to issue merit awards to, say, 20% of my class I would have no idea who to choose. The reality is that everyone matriculating to schools like Hopkins & Co are very talented folk and I don't know what – if any – metrics are the most valid for merit aid stratification. Everyone appears to be exceptional in their own arena. This way the school ensures the most financially needy receive their due support, which is as objective as we can get.

In the end, you have to be real with yourself and make the decision that is best for you. I'll never tell you that you must come to JHU if it'll distance you from important people in your life, if you have extremely negative feelings about the city (I would behoove you to ask yourself why you have such feelings, though), or if it will set you in significant debt relative to another institution you liked. Just give each school a fair shake and be real about your personal pros/cons.

I have an interview feb 15th, when’s yours?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

In my opinion, the reason there's a lot of waitlist movement, despite being a great school, is two-fold:
1. The fact that they offer an extremely conservative number of initial acceptances (they don't offer multiple times their actual class size worth of acceptances, unlike a lot of other schools that may essentially offer how ever many spots their previous years' yield dictates they should). So then, when a subset of the people they initially accept matriculate elsewhere, it opens up spots from the waitlist.
2. The fact that they also reject people post-interview, and thus being put on the waitlist actually means something. If you're waitlisted, there's probably a ~25% chance you'll get an acceptance offer this summer if the numbers turn out like they have in the past.

I disagree with the suggestion that a lack of financial aid plays a part; Hopkins is, in fact, one of the most generous medical schools when it comes to financial aid. Hopkins is in the top 5 medical schools for lowest graduating debt in the country, at just $109.7k average per student (check out https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/debt-residents-rankings). Their financial aid is extremely generous—they essentially subtract your expected family contribution (EFC) from the total tuition and fees (~$55k) and give you the rest as a scholarship. They calculate EFC using FAFSA and the CSS Profile, but they also heavily take into account if you have any siblings in college (in your favor). And this is huge: your financial aid offer is guaranteed for all four years—i.e. that scholarship you get offered your first year won't go down, even if that sibling leaves college or your parents' income increases. It isn't uncommon for students here to get offered scholarships worth tens of thousands of dollars per year, which for many people was their best offer! I think the only people who won't get a good financial aid offer from Hopkins are students with wealthier families and thus higher EFC, because Hopkins' financial aid is entirely need-based, not merit-based. So someone with a higher EFC who gets a merit scholarship elsewhere is likely the rare situation in which a student would have a better financial aid offer elsewhere. Of course, that doesn't mean that there aren't some cases where students choose to go elsewhere based on a better financial aid offer; I just don't think those cases are really common. But people have lots of reasons for why they choose where they'll go for medical school, and financial concerns are absolutely a legitimate one.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, the reason there's a lot of waitlist movement, despite being a great school, is two-fold:
1. The fact that they offer an extremely conservative number of initial acceptances (they don't offer multiple times their actual class size worth of acceptances, unlike a lot of other schools that may essentially offer how ever many spots their previous years' yield dictates they should). So then, when a subset of the people they initially accept matriculate elsewhere, it opens up spots from the waitlist.
2. The fact that they also reject people post-interview, and thus being put on the waitlist actually means something. If you're waitlisted, there's probably a ~25% chance you'll get an acceptance offer this summer if the numbers turn out like they have in the past.

I disagree with the suggestion that a lack of financial aid plays a part; Hopkins is, in fact, one of the most generous medical schools when it comes to financial aid. Hopkins is in the top 5 medical schools for lowest graduating debt in the country, at just $109.7k average per student (check out https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/debt-residents-rankings). Their financial aid is extremely generous—they essentially subtract your expected family contribution (EFC) from the total tuition and fees (~$55k) and give you the rest as a scholarship. They calculate EFC using FAFSA and the CSS Profile, but they also heavily take into account if you have any siblings in college (in your favor). And this is huge: your financial aid offer is guaranteed for all four years—i.e. that scholarship you get offered your first year won't go down, even if that sibling leaves college or your parents' income increases. It isn't uncommon for students here to get offered scholarships worth tens of thousands of dollars per year, which for many people was their best offer! I think the only people who won't get a good financial aid offer from Hopkins are students with wealthier families and thus higher EFC, because Hopkins' financial aid is entirely need-based, not merit-based. So someone with a higher EFC who gets a merit scholarship elsewhere is likely the rare situation in which a student would have a better financial aid offer elsewhere. Of course, that doesn't mean that there aren't some cases where students choose to go elsewhere based on a better financial aid offer; I just don't think those cases are really common. But people have lots of reasons for why they choose where they'll go for medical school, and financial concerns are absolutely a legitimate one.

Im glad to hear I still have a chance to get off the waitlist. This was definitely one of my favorite schools.

Are both interviews open file or just the faculty interview?

Student will have some of your stuff but not all of it. I think they don't see your secondary. They definitely had my personal statement though because i remember them mentioning it to me.

Has anyone started/completed submitting their financial aid documents through IDOC and know what the "Johns Hopkins University: School of Medicine Scholarship Application" is? It's listed as one of the required documents but I can't find it online.

Has anyone started/completed submitting their financial aid documents through IDOC and know what the "Johns Hopkins University: School of Medicine Scholarship Application" is? It's listed as one of the required documents but I can't find it online.
It shows up on the CSS profile documents!

Both interviews are completely open file, however due to clinic/life/etc. or scheduling issues (sometimes the person assigned to your file has a conflict) don't bank on the person having been able to pour over your app. I remember my faculty interviewer asked me to list out my experiences and accomplishments, so they did not have mine memorized (I'm just assuming). But if something is on your app, interviewers can see it and you should be prepared to talk about it if asked!

Can anyone comment as to how long the interview day lasts/will we be there until 5pm?
Most people will finish earlier, but anticipate 5p. Again: clinic/life/conflicts happen.

n=1 anecdotal evidence, but I got great aid at Hopkins and will hopefully be graduating far below their avg debt. They were 20k less per year than my cheapest state school option! Their office was also very receptive to discussing my aid/recalculating when life things happened (and I matriculated before the aid guarantee clause).

What I mean by a dissuading factor – and maybe I was too harsh in my assessment – is that Hopkins is currently not free. It can be deterring for low income students to have to take out a 20K unit loan/year when they have a full-ride offer elsewhere. I personally turned down a full ride option come to Hopkins, but I was very fortunate in that I had the financial stability to go with my heart over my pocketbook. Some may say "oh 50-80k debt isn't that much in the med school scheme of things," but it can be for those who have family to support or have outstanding debts.

If you're lucky enough to get multiple offers and could see yourself at these schools, I'd recommend waiting until you can get your finaid estimates, esp if you've got an atypical financial situation!

Also: if you get a merit aid bundle from another school, Hopkins will not match that (again, we're need based only). I just remember this question comes up a lot before Second Look. The good news is aid seems to be improving each year and the staff here seem to actively look for ways that they can improve JHUSOM's financial support. (Crossing my fingers that one day we can be loan free).

Can anyone comment as to how long the interview day lasts/will we be there until 5pm?
be prepared to stay until 5 but don't expect it. Interviews are anytime between 2-5. I had one at 2 and one after 3:45 that went long so I was there until close to 4:45. By the time I left almost everyone was already done and gone so I'd say most people are out of there by 4. Really depends on your interview times that you don't get until you get there

Both interviews are completely open file, however due to clinic/life/etc. or scheduling issues (sometimes the person assigned to your file has a conflict) don't bank on the person having been able to pour over your app. I remember my faculty interviewer asked me to list out my experiences and accomplishments, so they did not have mine memorized (I'm just assuming). But if something is on your app, interviewers can see it and you should be prepared to talk about it if asked!

Was the interview really focused on your file and stuff you had written, or was there also scenarios mixed in as well? I can imagine they wanted to gauge your interest in research as well, and maybe adding to that, why Hopkins specifically?

Was the interview really focused on your file and stuff you had written, or was there also scenarios mixed in as well? I can imagine they wanted to gauge your interest in research as well, and maybe adding to that, why Hopkins specifically?

Can't promise anything w/r/t interview questions or content; one of the great things about Hopkins is we have a very diverse admissions committee (your interviewer may be a basic researcher, they may be a community provider). I believe our student interviewers are also selected to have a varied pool of interests and experiences. The main goal is for them to get a feel for your personal attributes and gauge your fit for the institution. Some interviewers may take on a more freeform conversational approach, others may have certain scenarios they'd like to hear your response to.

I know this may sound obnoxiously vague, but anything goes for the Hopkins interview! Just get excited about the school, think of any potential questions you may have re: JHU/Baltimore/medicine, and enjoy the folks you meet! Some folks may ask "why Hopkins?" so that would be a fair question to have a thoughtful response to (and if you're taking the time/$$$ to come out and interview, please have one!).

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this is super obvious and I should know by now, but what is "IDOC" and where are you looking for the financial aid portal? I thought we were just supposed to submit our FAFSA and CSS by Feb first.

To those who interviewed from mid-December onward, do you all know when we are supposed to receive our final decision this week? Need a boost after the NYU R/WL wave.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sorry if this is super obvious and I should know by now, but what is "IDOC" and where are you looking for the financial aid portal? I thought we were just supposed to submit our FAFSA and CSS by Feb first.
Once you fill out and submit CSS, I believe you get an email on how to log in to the IDOC system and upload everything there to finish your financial aid application!

To those who interviewed from mid-December onward, do you all know when we are supposed to receive our final decision this week? Need a boost after the NYU R/WL wave.
I got a feeling about tomorrow or Thursday...anyone else??

Reactions: 3 users
You could be right, seems like Tuesday is the day the past two years though
Well, I read somewhere that they always send the emails at around 8:30 am - 9:00 am, but that could be wrong. My nerves are killing me lol.

Good luck to all of you hearing this week! You guys are so lucky I interviewed there on the 17th and they said we wouldn't hear back until the end of March ):

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Do you guys know if the Feb 1 deadline for financial aid also applies to waitlisted applicants?

Is this Feb 1 deadline only for applicants who heard back on the December decision date? Or do those of us who are still waiting to hear back need to submit our stuff too

Well, I read somewhere that they always send the emails at around 8:30 am - 9:00 am, but that could be wrong. My nerves are killing me lol.
Seems to me that this year people are posting their acceptances in the afternoon, but might just be a bug about timezones.

Seems to me that this year people are posting their acceptances in the afternoon, but might just be a bug about timezones.
I have no idea, but it would make more sense for it to be tomorow or Friday.

Is this Feb 1 deadline only for applicants who heard back on the December decision date? Or do those of us who are still waiting to hear back need to submit our stuff too
+1 I haven’t even interviewed yet but would I need to submit my stuff too??

So nobody has heard today at all? Could be tomorrow. Friday would be a weird day to send out the emails, right?

So nobody has heard today at all? Could be tomorrow. Friday would be a weird day to send out the emails, right?
they said on or before Feb 1 so could be friday too