Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 Mercer University School of Medicine

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by Lucca, May 16, 2018.

1. DrOptimusPrime

DrOptimusPrime SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Verified Account 5+ Year Member

Did anyone else hear back? Hoping they’ll send out emails or calls tomorrow as well.

kommander and CHAIIIIIWHYYYY like this.
  2. Slm2316

2+ Year Member

I interviewed November 8 on Savannah Campus and got an acceptance email tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Shotapp, mrj2017, luxaeterna6 and 5 others like this.
  3. DrOptimusPrime

Congratulations!

Slm2316 likes this.
  4. Slm2316

2+ Year Member

Thank you!!

5. uniquelyme

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Anyone got an official email yet?

6. PressPforPi

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Received an official email this morning. Accepted! Interviewed December 4th at the Macon campus! See all of you in the Fall!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. uniquelyme

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Update: spoke with someone from admissions who says that all of the emails have been sent out so if we have not heard back then we have been rolled on...

8. Superzero303

Pre-Medical
    Hate my life right now...

uniquelyme and Wakandan Doctor like this.
  9. MedLife24

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Keep hope alive! I have been waiting since October! No news is (a little) good news...

10. pennylane4

Wow are you serious.....

Wakandan Doctor and uniquelyme like this.
  11. uniquelyme

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hating mine right now too honestly..

Superzero303 and Wakandan Doctor like this.
  12. beautifuldaytosavelives

Pre-Medical
    are they done with interviews?

13. CHAIIIIIWHYYYY

Pre-Medical
    +1 on that

Superzero303 and Wakandan Doctor like this.
  14. uniquelyme

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    No I think they interview through February

15. DrOptimusPrime

Interviewed in November, I didn't hear back unfortunately. This is definitely one of my favorite schools because of their teaching style and focus on primary care/small communities/ and rural medicine which is where I see myself practicing after medical school. Both my interviewers at the end told me they were impressed with me and could see my passion for medicine and my commitment- which I would consider a good interview. I know not hearing back isn't a rejection but looking at last year's thread other people who had good interviews ended up getting rejected in March, so I don't know what to think.

16. eaglebaseball4

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone here been waitlisted? Keep in mind that about 70 applicants are accepted off the waitlist each year so try to keep that in mind! MSAR has data on this if you want to see it for yourself.

luxaeterna6 and CHAIIIIIWHYYYY like this.
  17. CHAIIIIIWHYYYY

Pre-Medical
    I’m on the same boat, I interviewed in November too and I felt like my interview went really well, but unfortunately didn’t hear back either. It’s not the end of the world but I’m still pretty upset about it, especially since it’s going to be a long waiting game now :(

Wakandan Doctor likes this.
  18. Sasb

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Aww we interviewed together. Congratulations!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Slm2316 likes this.
  19. luxaeterna6

Medical Student
    Waitlists probably won’t go out until February/March

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Feelgood MD likes this.
  20. masterchiefk57

Hello all, I’m scheduled to interview at Mercer in late January, and I wanted to ask those who have interviewed about the structure of inerview, types of questions asked, and just any general advice for the big day. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

21. doogiedawg

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I interviewed in Macon but I believe the structure of the day is similar regardless of campus. The day starts at 9 and you have a short information session with the admissions coordinator(s) and then you'll have two interviews. One interview is with a committee member (community member, faculty member, fourth year med student) and the second is non-committee member (similar criteria for interviewing as committee member but no seat at the discussion table). Each interview is weighed equally and heavily from my understanding. Typically, depending on the size of the interview group, you'll have one interview at 10 and one at 11. Each lasts anywhere from 30-60 minutes. You'll then have lunch with second year ambassadors and subsequently go on a tour of the school/facilities. I found the day to be fairly laid back and really informative! I also have a long history of interviewing as I'm a non-traditional student, so I took the opportunity as a change to get to know the students and interviewers and give them better insight on myself! I felt pretty stress-free and just enjoyed the time getting to know the school! Let me know if you have any specific questions!

22. Slm2316

2+ Year Member

Has anyone who was accepted Wednesday December 19 received an email with instructions on how to submit their deposit?

23. luxaeterna6

Medical Student
    Mercer University School of Medicine Interview Feedback
    This may help a bit :)

masterchiefk57 likes this.
  24. PressPforPi

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Not yet. Figured they’d be a little behind due to the holidays.

Slm2316 likes this.
  25. eaglebaseball4

Pre-Medical
    Any current med students at the Savannah campus that would like to share more about finding a safe place to live in Savannah while also keeping the budget down?? Thanks!!

26. saucy7

Pre-Medical

27. eaglebaseball4

Pre-Medical
    I’m looking to live in Savannah if at all possible. It’s just me and my fiancé so I’m not quite ready for the suburb life yet! Anyone that lives in actual Savannah with suggestions??

Medmalyer likes this.
  28. Medmalyer

Medical Student
    Just closed on a new home in Coffee Pointe last week which is 15 min south of the med school. I've talked with former students, current students, and med school staff/employees. Also visited and checked out different areas myself on 4 separate occasions. I'm married with three kids so we were looking for a 4 bedroom house, in a safe area, within 10-15 min of the med school.

Here are some thoughts: 1. Savannah has many good areas that are "safe" but also has many areas that are not so safe. These areas can be extremely close in proximity. It really helps to go yourself and walk around the area preferably at different times of the day. I've stayed on River St at the Hyatt, Midtown at the Motel 6, Oakdale at the Fairfield, and Coffee Pointe in our house. I enjoy running late at night so I get a good "feel" for the area. Your desired location will depend on what you prefer. You can find a safe place in most areas of Savannah. Remember, Savannah was built from River St South and out towards the suburbs. Therefore, the oldest homes will be River St/Historic District then grow newer as your travel south to midtown, oakdale, Kensignton park, etc.

Several former students at the Savannah campus lived in apartments on Whitemarsh Island. I've heard good things about the Islands if you prefer to "get away" from downtown. It was a little too secluded for my taste. But I can see the appeal. Do you prefer downtown loft living, gated community, suburbia, or the islands? Identify your preferences and then check out some locations you think might fit. Maybe somewhere you and your fiance can enjoy the culture and nightlife Savannah has to offer. The Starland District is an artsy up and coming area but then again I just a shooting reported in the news. If you can find a rental in Ardsley Park that is great area that is close to entertainment, lots of parks, and very safe. I also made on offer on a house on McLaws in Oakdale - they are mostly 1950s ranch homes but it is a nice neighborhood and very close to the med school. I'd check out Oakdale/Kensington Park areas.

Below are some thoughts from my agent, Russ Strazella, who was recommend to me and I used for my home search;

1. Oakdale - Typically a good area for first-time buyers or young families that want a desirable elementary school and a mid-century ranch home. Finding an equally desirable middle school is more challenging, but $/sqft is much lower here than in Ardsley Park and Habersham Village.

2. Coffee Bluff - Desirable for those who want to be close to the water, but still in the city. There is a secluded, separated atmosphere about this part of town. It is quiet, heavily wooded in many communities, and regarded as safe. Schools are nothing special, traffic tends to be on the high side.

3. Betz Creek - Wilmington Island schools tend to be more desirable than city schools, and it is also regarded as safe. Homes are mostly 90s built, you will be close to the water. This particular community is also desirable for families, and you will see many kids riding bikes and parents riding in golf carts.

4. Battery Point - While in a desirable school district, this particular community is less desirable than most on the islands. It was built in the 80s/90s, and has suffered from a "renter's stigma" lately. When I drive through the neighborhood, I just see good opportunity for first-time buyers because the value is there... but locals will say differently.

5. Mosswood - There really isn't much special about this location. If you do a Google street view of Hwy 17, you'll see.

6. Richmond Hill - Desirable location, highly rated schools, great neighbors. It's farther from Savannah than you said you wanted to be, but you'll find it a very pleasing place to look at property.

29. godawgz

Are there any current students on the Macon campus that have recommendations for good places to live? Preferably close to mercer and on the cheaper side of rent ($500-$900). All the "Live at Lofts" apartments around the med school are super expensive.

30. luxaeterna6

Medical Student
    North Macon is the best area to live imo. I live at Manchester at Wesleyan and pay 864 for a two bedroom (I live by myself). It’s like 13 mins away from school. If that’s too far, look at places on/close to College street.

godawgz likes this.
  31. eaglebaseball4

Pre-Medical
    I’m not sure of your financial circumstances but would you say that spending what you spend ($864) on rent is fair based on the COA for Mercer??

32. okur9786

Current Savannah student here. This is a google doc our class created with housing recommendations. The actual availability might not still be accurate but it has good pros and cons lists of each of the neighborhoods.

Savannah Housing Recommendations

Hope this helps!

33. eaglebaseball4

Pre-Medical
    Thank you that helps a ton!

34. luxaeterna6

Medical Student
    Yep! I pay for my apartment solely from loans and I didn’t come close to spending the max you can take out

Scoobs11 likes this.
  35. doogiedawg

There's a COA available in the financial section either on Mercer's site or in the acceptance packet! It's really helpful. I'll dig around and see if I can figure out where I saw it and post the link or screengrab.

luxaeterna6 and MedLife24 like this.
  36. docdoc21

Any recent IIs or Rs?

ghouloftokyo and Feelgood MD like this.
  37. doogiedawg

Financial Aid

Here's the link to the financial guide! It's the first link. I found it supremely helpful!

38. DJ26

Pre-Medical
    Anybody hear back today?

39. uniquelyme

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I just realized that today was the 3rd wed of the month and was wondering the same thing... its awfully quiet