2018-2019 Mercer University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone else hear back? Hoping they’ll send out emails or calls tomorrow as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed November 8 on Savannah Campus and got an acceptance email tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Update: spoke with someone from admissions who says that all of the emails have been sent out so if we have not heard back then we have been rolled on...

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone here been waitlisted? Keep in mind that about 70 applicants are accepted off the waitlist each year so try to keep that in mind! MSAR has data on this if you want to see it for yourself.

Interviewed in November, I didn't hear back unfortunately. This is definitely one of my favorite schools because of their teaching style and focus on primary care/small communities/ and rural medicine which is where I see myself practicing after medical school. Both my interviewers at the end told me they were impressed with me and could see my passion for medicine and my commitment- which I would consider a good interview. I know not hearing back isn't a rejection but looking at last year's thread other people who had good interviews ended up getting rejected in March, so I don't know what to think.

I’m on the same boat, I interviewed in November too and I felt like my interview went really well, but unfortunately didn’t hear back either. It’s not the end of the world but I’m still pretty upset about it, especially since it’s going to be a long waiting game now :(

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed November 8 on Savannah Campus and got an acceptance email tonight!

Aww we interviewed together. Congratulations!

Has anyone here been waitlisted? Keep in mind that about 70 applicants are accepted off the waitlist each year so try to keep that in mind! MSAR has data on this if you want to see it for yourself.

Waitlists probably won’t go out until February/March

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Hello all, I’m scheduled to interview at Mercer in late January, and I wanted to ask those who have interviewed about the structure of inerview, types of questions asked, and just any general advice for the big day. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I interviewed in Macon but I believe the structure of the day is similar regardless of campus. The day starts at 9 and you have a short information session with the admissions coordinator(s) and then you'll have two interviews. One interview is with a committee member (community member, faculty member, fourth year med student) and the second is non-committee member (similar criteria for interviewing as committee member but no seat at the discussion table). Each interview is weighed equally and heavily from my understanding. Typically, depending on the size of the interview group, you'll have one interview at 10 and one at 11. Each lasts anywhere from 30-60 minutes. You'll then have lunch with second year ambassadors and subsequently go on a tour of the school/facilities. I found the day to be fairly laid back and really informative! I also have a long history of interviewing as I'm a non-traditional student, so I took the opportunity as a change to get to know the students and interviewers and give them better insight on myself! I felt pretty stress-free and just enjoyed the time getting to know the school! Let me know if you have any specific questions!

Has anyone who was accepted Wednesday December 19 received an email with instructions on how to submit their deposit?

Any current med students at the Savannah campus that would like to share more about finding a safe place to live in Savannah while also keeping the budget down?? Thanks!!

Any current med students at the Savannah campus that would like to share more about finding a safe place to live in Savannah while also keeping the budget down?? Thanks!

I’ll be an incoming student next fall but have spoken to quite a few recent graduates that either did school or residency in Savannah and it seems like pooler and or Richmond hill are the best areas with a combo of safe and budget conscious. They also have great school systems which is important for my wife and I as she’s a teacher and we have three young children.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I’m looking to live in Savannah if at all possible. It’s just me and my fiancé so I’m not quite ready for the suburb life yet! Anyone that lives in actual Savannah with suggestions??

I’m looking to live in Savannah if at all possible. It’s just me and my fiancé so I’m not quite ready for the suburb life yet! Anyone that lives in actual Savannah with suggestions??
Just closed on a new home in Coffee Pointe last week which is 15 min south of the med school. I've talked with former students, current students, and med school staff/employees. Also visited and checked out different areas myself on 4 separate occasions. I'm married with three kids so we were looking for a 4 bedroom house, in a safe area, within 10-15 min of the med school.

Here are some thoughts: 1. Savannah has many good areas that are "safe" but also has many areas that are not so safe. These areas can be extremely close in proximity. It really helps to go yourself and walk around the area preferably at different times of the day. I've stayed on River St at the Hyatt, Midtown at the Motel 6, Oakdale at the Fairfield, and Coffee Pointe in our house. I enjoy running late at night so I get a good "feel" for the area. Your desired location will depend on what you prefer. You can find a safe place in most areas of Savannah. Remember, Savannah was built from River St South and out towards the suburbs. Therefore, the oldest homes will be River St/Historic District then grow newer as your travel south to midtown, oakdale, Kensignton park, etc.

Several former students at the Savannah campus lived in apartments on Whitemarsh Island. I've heard good things about the Islands if you prefer to "get away" from downtown. It was a little too secluded for my taste. But I can see the appeal. Do you prefer downtown loft living, gated community, suburbia, or the islands? Identify your preferences and then check out some locations you think might fit. Maybe somewhere you and your fiance can enjoy the culture and nightlife Savannah has to offer. The Starland District is an artsy up and coming area but then again I just a shooting reported in the news. If you can find a rental in Ardsley Park that is great area that is close to entertainment, lots of parks, and very safe. I also made on offer on a house on McLaws in Oakdale - they are mostly 1950s ranch homes but it is a nice neighborhood and very close to the med school. I'd check out Oakdale/Kensington Park areas.

Below are some thoughts from my agent, Russ Strazella, who was recommend to me and I used for my home search;

1. Oakdale - Typically a good area for first-time buyers or young families that want a desirable elementary school and a mid-century ranch home. Finding an equally desirable middle school is more challenging, but $/sqft is much lower here than in Ardsley Park and Habersham Village.

2. Coffee Bluff - Desirable for those who want to be close to the water, but still in the city. There is a secluded, separated atmosphere about this part of town. It is quiet, heavily wooded in many communities, and regarded as safe. Schools are nothing special, traffic tends to be on the high side.

3. Betz Creek - Wilmington Island schools tend to be more desirable than city schools, and it is also regarded as safe. Homes are mostly 90s built, you will be close to the water. This particular community is also desirable for families, and you will see many kids riding bikes and parents riding in golf carts.

4. Battery Point - While in a desirable school district, this particular community is less desirable than most on the islands. It was built in the 80s/90s, and has suffered from a "renter's stigma" lately. When I drive through the neighborhood, I just see good opportunity for first-time buyers because the value is there... but locals will say differently.

5. Mosswood - There really isn't much special about this location. If you do a Google street view of Hwy 17, you'll see.

6. Richmond Hill - Desirable location, highly rated schools, great neighbors. It's farther from Savannah than you said you wanted to be, but you'll find it a very pleasing place to look at property.

Reactions: 4 users
Are there any current students on the Macon campus that have recommendations for good places to live? Preferably close to mercer and on the cheaper side of rent ($500-$900). All the "Live at Lofts" apartments around the med school are super expensive.

Are there any current students on the Macon campus that have recommendations for good places to live? Preferably close to mercer and on the cheaper side of rent ($500-$900). All the "Live at Lofts" apartments around the med school are super expensive.

North Macon is the best area to live imo. I live at Manchester at Wesleyan and pay 864 for a two bedroom (I live by myself). It’s like 13 mins away from school. If that’s too far, look at places on/close to College street.

North Macon is the best area to live imo. I live at Manchester at Wesleyan and pay 864 for a two bedroom (I live by myself). It’s like 13 mins away from school. If that’s too far, look at places on/close to College street.

I’m not sure of your financial circumstances but would you say that spending what you spend ($864) on rent is fair based on the COA for Mercer??

Any current med students at the Savannah campus that would like to share more about finding a safe place to live in Savannah while also keeping the budget down?? Thanks!!

Current Savannah student here. This is a google doc our class created with housing recommendations. The actual availability might not still be accurate but it has good pros and cons lists of each of the neighborhoods.

Savannah Housing Recommendations

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 3 users
I’m not sure of your financial circumstances but would you say that spending what you spend ($864) on rent is fair based on the COA for Mercer??

Yep! I pay for my apartment solely from loans and I didn’t come close to spending the max you can take out

There's a COA available in the financial section either on Mercer's site or in the acceptance packet! It's really helpful. I'll dig around and see if I can figure out where I saw it and post the link or screengrab.

Anyone else just now realizing that speeding tickets are misdemeanors in GA?.......

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This school is a joke.. I don't know who they invite for interviews but it's so obvious every school is becoming all about statistics. Very bad. healthcare will be filled with people who don't know how to talk and take care of patients if we just begin to look at gpas and mcats. Obviously very important to have a level of competence for medicine but I personally don't believe you have to have the 3.9 and 515+ to be a great doctor; however schools are now just literally saying "he got a 505 which directly means he will get a 202 on the step one... Just unbelievable. I have 40+ publications in high indexed journals, have seen over 500 procedures, and spent many hours volunteering. My statistics are average I will admit but I have two letters of recommendation from people who have trained there. So frustrating.

This school is a joke.. I don't know who they invite for interviews but it's so obvious every school is becoming all about statistics. Very bad. healthcare will be filled with people who don't know how to talk and take care of patients if we just begin to look at gpas and mcats. Obviously very important to have a level of competence for medicine but I personally don't believe you have to have the 3.9 and 515+ to be a great doctor; however schools are now just literally saying "he got a 505 which directly means he will get a 202 on the step one... Just unbelievable. I have 40+ publications in high indexed journals, have seen over 500 procedures, and spent many hours volunteering. My statistics are average I will admit but I have two letters of recommendation from people who have trained there. So frustrating.
Hey keep your head up. I don’t think they’ve finished with invites. My stats are pretty average (even bad if you asked someone else) but have a lot of other things going for me like you do and I have interviewed. Hopefully you will get your II soon!

Hey keep your head up. I don’t think they’ve finished with invites. My stats are pretty average (even bad if you asked someone else) but have a lot of other things going for me like you do and I have interviewed. Hopefully you will get your II soon!

Today is the last day they send invites. This is straight from their secondary received email:

“Should you be selected by the Admissions Committee for an interview, you will receive an invitation via e-mail by 5:00 PM ET January 18, 2019.

If you do not receive an e-mail invitation by this time, please assume that the Admissions Committee has screened your application and is unable to offer you a spot in the entering class of 2019.”

Today is the last day they send invites. This is straight from their secondary received email:

“Should you be selected by the Admissions Committee for an interview, you will receive an invitation via e-mail by 5:00 PM ET January 18, 2019.

If you do not receive an e-mail invitation by this time, please assume that the Admissions Committee has screened your application and is unable to offer you a spot in the entering class of 2019.”
oh wow, im so sorry

I think Mercer is an exception to what you are trying to insinuate. I had a rather low MCAT & a semi-decent GPA so the "515+" phrase that you dropped doesn't really apply to this school. I have friends from undergrad with 517's and higher who didn't even get an interview. I believe the main criteria for Mercer is that you want to serve rural & underserved areas. I understand the struggle as I was in a similar boat as you last year.

Reactions: 5 users
I just emailed to find out about decisions. She said that the adcom hasn't met yet this month, but she didn't give a definite date for the meeting. So I would assume maybe next wednesday? I know it's tough, but I wish everyone peace as they wait without a definite deadline

Reactions: 4 users
I just emailed to find out about decisions. She said that the adcom hasn't met yet this month, but she didn't give a definite date for the meeting. So I would assume maybe next wednesday? I know it's tough, but I wish everyone peace as they wait without a definite deadline
Thanks for the update!

If you believe that this school is a joke because of what you are insinuating, ALL medical schools would be an even larger laughingstock. Mercer really isn't about the stats as it is evident through the lower average MCAT due to wanting to fulfill their mission. Some schools have become about the statistics at the higher tiers of medical schools. Mercer is certainly not in the same category. Medical school admissions is a crapshoot no matter at what school. It's a tough and maddening process. I hope that you continue to be strong and what is meant to happen, will happen.

Reactions: 6 users
I completely understand you frustration, OP. However, I'd say Mercer is truly the exception to whatever statistic rule you are pointing out. I had an extremely average MCAT score (and by average, I mean barely above 50%) and high GPA, but I also have a represented commitment to rural and underserved Georgia which is THEIR MISSION. I would also say I'm an above average candidate when it comes to future bedside manner and preparation based on my experienced.

I think you're just frustrated and I'm sorry that you did not get an interview invite. However, posting to a discussion board full of people who are either going to or are interested in a school might not be your best option. I wish you the best in this app cycle and hope that you're accepted to medical school! It sounds like you're a really qualified candidate.

Reactions: 3 users

Personally speaking, Mercer is definitely not all about stats or else I wouldn’t have gotten in... I’m sorry things didn’t go well for you though :/ I also agree that Mercer is heavily focused on their mission so even if you have great stats, if you don’t meet their mission at all, they may not consider you a good fit, but that doesn’t mean you’re not a great candidate overall, especially for another school with a different mission

This school is a joke.. I don't know who they invite for interviews but it's so obvious every school is becoming all about statistics. Very bad. healthcare will be filled with people who don't know how to talk and take care of patients if we just begin to look at gpas and mcats. Obviously very important to have a level of competence for medicine but I personally don't believe you have to have the 3.9 and 515+ to be a great doctor; however schools are now just literally saying "he got a 505 which directly means he will get a 202 on the step one... Just unbelievable. I have 40+ publications in high indexed journals, have seen over 500 procedures, and spent many hours volunteering. My statistics are average I will admit but I have two letters of recommendation from people who have trained there.

Did you apply early decision? It seems the best way to get a school to understand you are truly interested is to apply ED. Mercer is unique and they want people who really want them. I know someone accepted last year with no better than a 3.0 from a not very impressive undergraduate program. And the average MCAT did not make up for it. I know people with excellent GPA and pretty good MCAT scores who on paper appear to be ideal candidates for Mercer who didn't even get an interview this year. Mercer is just different. And you never know for sure what is going to stand out to the committee on your application.