2018-2019 Medical College at Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post the secondary questions once you receive them. Check last year's thread in the 2017-2018 SSD forum for last year's questions, they tend to not change very much from year to year.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Medical College of Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Secondary prompts:

Explain how your unique background, identity, interests, or talents will contribute to the MCW learning community and how MCW will uniquely prepare you for your future goals. (2000 characters)

Recount a time when you failed or made a decision you regret. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience? (2000 characters)

MCW values the unique backgrounds and identities of our incoming students. Please indicate if any of the following apply to you. Check all that apply.
I belong to a race or ethnicity considered underrepresented in medicine.
I identify as part of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, or asexual (LGBTQIA) community.
I am the first person in my immediate family to attend college (excluding siblings).
I was born or grew up in a rural community.
I come from an economically disadvantaged background.
I attended an underperforming elementary, middle, or high school.
My primary language is NOT English.
I have overcome a significant hardship.

Checking any of the above boxes creates a text box titled "Please provide additional details." 2000 characters.

Last edited:
In my secondary invitation email from MCW, it says: "Though we determined that your application does not satisfy the required eligibility criteria at this time, we are sending you the secondary application invitation. Please remember that it is your responsibility to meet all eligibility criteria as noted above." Is anyone in the same boat?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted my primary today! Hoping to get some love from wisconsin :) Any current students on here?

Just submitted my primary today! Hoping to get some love from wisconsin :) Any current students on here?
Not a current student, but an incoming M1 so if you have any questions about the application process with MCW, interviews, etcetera...I can offer my advice. But I’m sure there are several current students that will be able to chime in with questions you have about classes and the like.

Not a current student, but an incoming M1 so if you have any questions about the application process with MCW, interviews, etcetera...I can offer my advice. But I’m sure there are several current students that will be able to chime in with questions you have about classes and the like.

Do you mind if i PM you?

I received the secondary application and it says that my MCAT score is not received even though I have them on file with AMCAS. Should I be concerned?

OOS applicant here and have not yet received a secondary! Hopefully something comes soon!

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone still not receive a secondary even though app is complete and verified?

Did anyone still not receive a secondary even though app is complete and verified?
Not me but people I've spoken to are having the same experience. MCW screens before sending a secondary. Not sure what the cutoffs/parameters are.

Not me but people I've spoken to are having the same experience. MCW screens before sending a secondary. Not sure what the cutoffs/parameters are.

My stats are above both their medians what other cutoffs could there be?

I haven't received anything thus far. My MCAT is a few points above median. I have not completed CASPer though, so I'm not sure if that impacts secondaries sent for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Too early to start freaking out. These things take time. You're all in for a long haul. Best to try to relax. Read last year's thread if you're getting anxious about something. Odds are something similar happened to someone else in previous years. Someone probably didn't get a secondary before someone else who sent their primary in after them, but eventually got one. We don't know what it is like on their end or how bogged down they may be already, but it is super early and most people are going to get a secondary. Just try to be patient, as hard as that is.

Reactions: 2 users
I haven't received anything thus far. My MCAT is a few points above median. I have not completed CASPer though, so I'm not sure if that impacts secondaries sent for them.
I literally just received it!

My stats are above both their medians what other cutoffs could there be?
Someone on r/premed called MCW and apparently they screen by looking at your app before sending a secondary. I don't think it's necessarily stats-based.

Starting to get nervous that I haven’t gotten one yet... I have stats far above the medians and nothing else that makes me think I’d be immediately screened out but who knows.

Starting to get nervous that I haven’t gotten one yet... I have stats far above the medians and nothing else that makes me think I’d be immediately screened out but who knows.
It's week 1, relax.

Reactions: 5 users
I got my secondary a day after adding them, wonder what they screen for.

I still haven't received a secondary either, OOS.

I received the secondary application and it says that my MCAT score is not received even though I have them on file with AMCAS. Should I be concerned?
Bumping this because I am in the same boat, and I am super concerned!

Bumping this because I am in the same boat, and I am super concerned!
My MCAT is in now. But then it says that my Casper score is also in but I haven't even taken it yet... a glitch maybe?

Mine says application not complete (lack of letters of rec) but when I go to the letters of rec page it says mine was indeed received. Anyone else have the same issue? Should I contact admissions or just wait it out?

Mine says application not complete (lack of letters of rec) but when I go to the letters of rec page it says mine was indeed received. Anyone else have the same issue? Should I contact admissions or just wait it out?
I don't know know what the portal looks like this year since last year we couldn't see anything about Casper being received or not. However, your letters of recommendation may be received but the Admissions Office does need to verify them as well so that may be the issue. If you wait a week since they've received them and they still aren't verified, then call the admissions office. And this goes to everyone. They are always very friendly so do not hesitate to call them. It'll solve your issues and squash your anxieties immediately!

Thanks for your willingness to answer questions. I have a few for you when you get a chance:
Which campus are you attending?
Why did you choose MCW?
What was your interview experience like? Did they welcome you and did you feel a sense of collaboration?

Thank you!

OOS and no secondary.

Last edited:
I know these are coming out in waves, but as a Milwaukee native it's definitely anxiety-inducing that I haven't gotten a secondary yet :(

Definitely contact them. I had an issue today with my eligibility and they have been extremely helpful so far. Amazing consider how many applications they are having to process. Hope to get a secondary soon!

Thanks for your willingness to answer questions. I have a few for you when you get a chance:
Which campus are you attending?
Why did you choose MCW?
What was your interview experience like? Did they welcome you and did you feel a sense of collaboration?

Thank you!
DISCLAIMER: NOVEL TO FOLLOW!! :corny:

Sorry for the delayed response. My best friend was visiting from out of state so I didn't have much free time and I like to be thorough with my responses...

I'm going to the Milwaukee campus. MCW was the only medical school I got into, but I interviewed at both Green Bay and Milwaukee campuses and was waitlisted at both after interviewing. I can tell you that I applied to MCW because Milwaukee is my hometown and moving back to be closer to family was appealing. I have spent my college years in Madison and graduate years in Chicago. I also was a regular patient at MCW/Froedtert Hospital growing up. As you can tell by my screen name, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and I was only 16 years old. I was extremely impressed with the staff and facilities at the hospital that it just felt like some place I wanted to be. My adult rheumatologist also went to MCW. Another feature I loved about MCW was the ease with which to obtain research experience. There's no undergraduate institution and so it's not very difficult to find research positions. I have always lived in the Midwest so it's not very shocking to me, but if you're coming from anywhere else, MCW (and the Midwest) is very friendly and the staff is eager to help so please don't ever be afraid to call them during this process. I'll add to that to try to be patient. Do not call them every single day; that's neurotic and reflects poorly on you. If you're worried about if your application is complete or have error messages or are missing documents, then definitely call.

Since I didn't interview elsewhere, I can tell you that I have several friends that interviewed at most every school I applied to and have heard some of their experiences. No horror stories to date. What I can also tell you is that aside from Loyola, UW-Madison, or maybe UIC (which I was out of state for the application process so huge in state bias to overcome), I would have chosen MCW had I received multiples acceptances. Loyola and UIC both have their positives and negatives, and to be perfectly honest, I loved them mostly for their location as I wouldn't have minded staying in Chicago for 4 more years (as much as I do love my family ;)). It would have come down to how much I loved the location and financial aid packages that would've determined where I had gone in the case of multiple acceptances there. UW-Madison is my alma mater and I love the city, plus it's cheaper which is why I would have gone there over MCW. I like the curriculum at MCW. I like that you learn how each system works and then revisit it as an M2 to learn pathology. Personally, I feel its necessary for me to revisit systems again just as a refresher of how things are supposed to work when I'm learning how processes go wrong. This is why, while I attended Rush University for graduate school, I was not too excited about their curriculum among other things. The fact that lectures are recorded makes my schedule extremely flexible. Do I NEED the flexibility? Not really. Is it nice to have? Absolutely. I'm a person that needs to go to lecture to stay focused, so I do plan on attending lecture. My family just got a new corgi puppy and so it may come up that I need to stay home to watch him, so the flexibility is more than helpful there. I am extremely happy to be at MCW and that is separated from the happiness that I got into one school and that's enough to be a doctor. I really think it's a great place for your medical education.

My interview experience was what I expected it to be. Well organized, informative, and everyone I interacted with was very nice including other applicants (that goes for the Green Bay campus as well). There was a sense of collaboration among everyone but it was most noticeable among students when/if you attended the casual social held the night before the interview day. The students had a neuro test the next day and for one were still at this social to talk with us, and two, were helping each other briefly with test review in between the lulls in conversations. I felt everyone was being honest with their experiences with MCW and knowing that students also need to see if MCW fits for them. I would recommend going to the social, if you can. Don't pay more for a flight just to experience it though. You'll get to talk to some of the same students at the interview day itself. It was also nice to meet other applicants in street clothes and have casual conversations with them. Walking into the interview day was less stressful knowing I'd see some friendly faces. Lunch on interview day was from Panera, I believe. There were several different sandwich options with cookies and chips and maybe salad. I can't remember. It was nice to have those healthier options and something other than pizza (forgive me, pizza, I still love you).

Like most interviews, there's a series of informative sessions and I felt there was ample time devoted for applicants to ask questions. There's two groups of interviews. Either you interview first and have informative sessions later or informative sessions first and interviews later. I was of the latter group so my nerves got to build during the tour. As for the actual interviews themselves, I can only reiterate what students told us that day and which was totally easier to say on the other side of things (as I am now) - don't stress too much about them! The interviews I had, they were only trying to get to know me more. There were no questions designed to trap me or see if I'd say something "wrong". They're two 30 minutes interviews. Some applicants had a faculty and a student interview, some had two faculty interviews. I had two faculty interviews. You need to know your application forwards and backwards. You need to be comfortable with who you are and where life has taken you. I am a non-traditional reapplicant so I had prepared for questions like how have you improved and the like. You need to know what each experience you have had, whether its in your application or not, has taught you and made you grow. Go into the interview with key points you want to fit into your answers and leave everything on the table. Overall, besides my own nerves about the interviews, it was a pleasant day.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
@RheumyArthritic Can you explain the differences between the 3 campuses? I get that the Milwaukee one is city based and the other 2 are not as so and also have 3 year curriculums but is there anything else? Also what is the difference between CW and Green Bay?

@RheumyArthritic Can you explain the differences between the 3 campuses? I get that the Milwaukee one is city based and the other 2 are not as so and also have 3 year curriculums but is there anything else? Also what is the difference between CW and Green Bay?
Milwaukee has a huge class of about 200. CW and GB have 25 spots each and they generally interview about 100 people each. CW and GB are for those students who know they are interested in primary care (specifically gen surg, ob/gyn, and psychiatry but also just family medicine) and rural/underserved medicine. It is possible that if you decide you are interested in something else through your years there that you may apply to take a fourth year at the Milwaukee campus. This, however, is not recommended as it's not guaranteed and you also need the Step scores to back up whatever residency you're looking at for them to consider allowing you to take a fourth year. If you're not interested in the mission these campuses are built around, I would not apply to them in the hopes that more campuses means more chances to get into medical school. They're looking for a very specific student, and if you don't fit that, odds are small that the 8-10 person panel interview will fall for your acting skills.

The reason these campuses have 3 year curriculums is because their breaks are not as long (or nonexistent) and they have eliminated some rotations that do not fit the primary care mission of the campus. Green Bay shares facilities with St. Norbert college. The campus and facilities are beautiful and they're still developing new spaces for the medical students. I know CW has brand new facilities as well but I am not sure if they have their own campus or share with another institution. The curriculums at CW and GB include the Physician in the Community Pathway where you work closely with clinical partners in the community to learn what medicine in these types of areas is really like. There's also the Scholarly Pathways that are required for students at all of MCW's campuses where you choose one of 8 different areas of interest and design and work on a project. As far as the differences between CW and GB, aside from locations and who they share facilities with there's not really a difference between them. It's why those who interview at one campus and are waitlisted (they tell you that the majority of interviewees are waitlisted), are included in a combined waitlist for CW and GB. So it is possible to interview at GB and be accepted to CW even though you've never been there. I think this is because everything is so similar between the campuses other than location. I should mention that you have the option to not be considered for the waitlist at the campus you did not interview at, but depending on your situation I would still discourage limiting your options. You never know.

Reactions: 3 users
Question. Are the regional campus essays required if you are only applying to Milwaukee?