2018-2019 Medical College at Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DISCLAIMER: NOVEL TO FOLLOW!! :corny:

Sorry for the delayed response. My best friend was visiting from out of state so I didn't have much free time and I like to be thorough with my responses...

I'm going to the Milwaukee campus. MCW was the only medical school I got into, but I interviewed at both Green Bay and Milwaukee campuses and was waitlisted at both after interviewing. I can tell you that I applied to MCW because Milwaukee is my hometown and moving back to be closer to family was appealing. I have spent my college years in Madison and graduate years in Chicago. I also was a regular patient at MCW/Froedtert Hospital growing up. As you can tell by my screen name, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and I was only 16 years old. I was extremely impressed with the staff and facilities at the hospital that it just felt like some place I wanted to be. My adult rheumatologist also went to MCW. Another feature I loved about MCW was the ease with which to obtain research experience. There's no undergraduate institution and so it's not very difficult to find research positions. I have always lived in the Midwest so it's not very shocking to me, but if you're coming from anywhere else, MCW (and the Midwest) is very friendly and the staff is eager to help so please don't ever be afraid to call them during this process. I'll add to that to try to be patient. Do not call them every single day; that's neurotic and reflects poorly on you. If you're worried about if your application is complete or have error messages or are missing documents, then definitely call.

Since I didn't interview elsewhere, I can tell you that I have several friends that interviewed at most every school I applied to and have heard some of their experiences. No horror stories to date. What I can also tell you is that aside from Loyola, UW-Madison, or maybe UIC (which I was out of state for the application process so huge in state bias to overcome), I would have chosen MCW had I received multiples acceptances. Loyola and UIC both have their positives and negatives, and to be perfectly honest, I loved them mostly for their location as I wouldn't have minded staying in Chicago for 4 more years (as much as I do love my family ;)). It would have come down to how much I loved the location and financial aid packages that would've determined where I had gone in the case of multiple acceptances there. UW-Madison is my alma mater and I love the city, plus it's cheaper which is why I would have gone there over MCW. I like the curriculum at MCW. I like that you learn how each system works and then revisit it as an M2 to learn pathology. Personally, I feel its necessary for me to revisit systems again just as a refresher of how things are supposed to work when I'm learning how processes go wrong. This is why, while I attended Rush University for graduate school, I was not too excited about their curriculum among other things. The fact that lectures are recorded makes my schedule extremely flexible. Do I NEED the flexibility? Not really. Is it nice to have? Absolutely. I'm a person that needs to go to lecture to stay focused, so I do plan on attending lecture. My family just got a new corgi puppy and so it may come up that I need to stay home to watch him, so the flexibility is more than helpful there. I am extremely happy to be at MCW and that is separated from the happiness that I got into one school and that's enough to be a doctor. I really think it's a great place for your medical education.

My interview experience was what I expected it to be. Well organized, informative, and everyone I interacted with was very nice including other applicants (that goes for the Green Bay campus as well). There was a sense of collaboration among everyone but it was most noticeable among students when/if you attended the casual social held the night before the interview day. The students had a neuro test the next day and for one were still at this social to talk with us, and two, were helping each other briefly with test review in between the lulls in conversations. I felt everyone was being honest with their experiences with MCW and knowing that students also need to see if MCW fits for them. I would recommend going to the social, if you can. Don't pay more for a flight just to experience it though. You'll get to talk to some of the same students at the interview day itself. It was also nice to meet other applicants in street clothes and have casual conversations with them. Walking into the interview day was less stressful knowing I'd see some friendly faces. Lunch on interview day was from Panera, I believe. There were several different sandwich options with cookies and chips and maybe salad. I can't remember. It was nice to have those healthier options and something other than pizza (forgive me, pizza, I still love you).

Like most interviews, there's a series of informative sessions and I felt there was ample time devoted for applicants to ask questions. There's two groups of interviews. Either you interview first and have informative sessions later or informative sessions first and interviews later. I was of the latter group so my nerves got to build during the tour. As for the actual interviews themselves, I can only reiterate what students told us that day and which was totally easier to say on the other side of things (as I am now) - don't stress too much about them! The interviews I had, they were only trying to get to know me more. There were no questions designed to trap me or see if I'd say something "wrong". They're two 30 minutes interviews. Some applicants had a faculty and a student interview, some had two faculty interviews. I had two faculty interviews. You need to know your application forwards and backwards. You need to be comfortable with who you are and where life has taken you. I am a non-traditional reapplicant so I had prepared for questions like how have you improved and the like. You need to know what each experience you have had, whether its in your application or not, has taught you and made you grow. Go into the interview with key points you want to fit into your answers and leave everything on the table. Overall, besides my own nerves about the interviews, it was a pleasant day.
A CORGI!!! Amazing. Also, thank you so much for all of this information. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No, but if you Mark one as a second or third choice campus then they are
Ok cool. That's what I thought. I unmarked the other campuses and the questions didn't disappear so that's why I asked.

DISCLAIMER: NOVEL TO FOLLOW!! :corny:

Sorry for the delayed response. My best friend was visiting from out of state so I didn't have much free time and I like to be thorough with my responses...

I'm going to the Milwaukee campus. MCW was the only medical school I got into, but I interviewed at both Green Bay and Milwaukee campuses and was waitlisted at both after interviewing. I can tell you that I applied to MCW because Milwaukee is my hometown and moving back to be closer to family was appealing. I have spent my college years in Madison and graduate years in Chicago. I also was a regular patient at MCW/Froedtert Hospital growing up. As you can tell by my screen name, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and I was only 16 years old. I was extremely impressed with the staff and facilities at the hospital that it just felt like some place I wanted to be. My adult rheumatologist also went to MCW. Another feature I loved about MCW was the ease with which to obtain research experience. There's no undergraduate institution and so it's not very difficult to find research positions. I have always lived in the Midwest so it's not very shocking to me, but if you're coming from anywhere else, MCW (and the Midwest) is very friendly and the staff is eager to help so please don't ever be afraid to call them during this process. I'll add to that to try to be patient. Do not call them every single day; that's neurotic and reflects poorly on you. If you're worried about if your application is complete or have error messages or are missing documents, then definitely call.

Since I didn't interview elsewhere, I can tell you that I have several friends that interviewed at most every school I applied to and have heard some of their experiences. No horror stories to date. What I can also tell you is that aside from Loyola, UW-Madison, or maybe UIC (which I was out of state for the application process so huge in state bias to overcome), I would have chosen MCW had I received multiples acceptances. Loyola and UIC both have their positives and negatives, and to be perfectly honest, I loved them mostly for their location as I wouldn't have minded staying in Chicago for 4 more years (as much as I do love my family ;)). It would have come down to how much I loved the location and financial aid packages that would've determined where I had gone in the case of multiple acceptances there. UW-Madison is my alma mater and I love the city, plus it's cheaper which is why I would have gone there over MCW. I like the curriculum at MCW. I like that you learn how each system works and then revisit it as an M2 to learn pathology. Personally, I feel its necessary for me to revisit systems again just as a refresher of how things are supposed to work when I'm learning how processes go wrong. This is why, while I attended Rush University for graduate school, I was not too excited about their curriculum among other things. The fact that lectures are recorded makes my schedule extremely flexible. Do I NEED the flexibility? Not really. Is it nice to have? Absolutely. I'm a person that needs to go to lecture to stay focused, so I do plan on attending lecture. My family just got a new corgi puppy and so it may come up that I need to stay home to watch him, so the flexibility is more than helpful there. I am extremely happy to be at MCW and that is separated from the happiness that I got into one school and that's enough to be a doctor. I really think it's a great place for your medical education.

My interview experience was what I expected it to be. Well organized, informative, and everyone I interacted with was very nice including other applicants (that goes for the Green Bay campus as well). There was a sense of collaboration among everyone but it was most noticeable among students when/if you attended the casual social held the night before the interview day. The students had a neuro test the next day and for one were still at this social to talk with us, and two, were helping each other briefly with test review in between the lulls in conversations. I felt everyone was being honest with their experiences with MCW and knowing that students also need to see if MCW fits for them. I would recommend going to the social, if you can. Don't pay more for a flight just to experience it though. You'll get to talk to some of the same students at the interview day itself. It was also nice to meet other applicants in street clothes and have casual conversations with them. Walking into the interview day was less stressful knowing I'd see some friendly faces. Lunch on interview day was from Panera, I believe. There were several different sandwich options with cookies and chips and maybe salad. I can't remember. It was nice to have those healthier options and something other than pizza (forgive me, pizza, I still love you).

Like most interviews, there's a series of informative sessions and I felt there was ample time devoted for applicants to ask questions. There's two groups of interviews. Either you interview first and have informative sessions later or informative sessions first and interviews later. I was of the latter group so my nerves got to build during the tour. As for the actual interviews themselves, I can only reiterate what students told us that day and which was totally easier to say on the other side of things (as I am now) - don't stress too much about them! The interviews I had, they were only trying to get to know me more. There were no questions designed to trap me or see if I'd say something "wrong". They're two 30 minutes interviews. Some applicants had a faculty and a student interview, some had two faculty interviews. I had two faculty interviews. You need to know your application forwards and backwards. You need to be comfortable with who you are and where life has taken you. I am a non-traditional reapplicant so I had prepared for questions like how have you improved and the like. You need to know what each experience you have had, whether its in your application or not, has taught you and made you grow. Go into the interview with key points you want to fit into your answers and leave everything on the table. Overall, besides my own nerves about the interviews, it was a pleasant day.

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I hope you the best in medical school!

Can anyone tell me more about the Dean's certification? I'm not entirely sure who I should send this to. My schools registrar?

Additionally, if I've never had an IA, or any sort of misconduct, do I still need to send one?

Can anyone tell me more about the Dean's certification? I'm not entirely sure who I should send this to. My schools registrar?

Additionally, if I've never had an IA, or any sort of misconduct, do I still need to send one?
Yeah I've never gotten an IA and I don't know why this is showing up as mandatory...

You don't need to submit that if you never had a misconduct. Just basically skip that section and you should still be able to submit - at least that's what I did.

I just checked my status after submitting and see a "Dean's Certification" that's been checked marked. I never submitted this as I have no misconducts. Is it still supposed to be checked? lol.

Quick question about course requirements. I saw on their website they do not accept AP credits outside of physics and math, but when they list their requirements it just talks about 4 credits of advanced biology with lab (I took AP bio in high school). Does this mean I should not even bother applying? Also does anyone know just out of curiosity if independent studies qualify as advanced lab courses (since mine are at least listed as 600 level)

Thanks everyone in advance!

Quick question about course requirements. I saw on their website they do not accept AP credits outside of physics and math, but when they list their requirements it just talks about 4 credits of advanced biology with lab (I took AP bio in high school). Does this mean I should not even bother applying? Also does anyone know just out of curiosity if independent studies qualify as advanced lab courses (since mine are at least listed as 600 level)

Thanks everyone in advance!
Have you not taken any other biology courses in college like Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, etc.? I understand this is possible if you majored in something else other than Biology or non-science related. However, it’s not just strictly Biology that will satisfy that requirement so if you have other courses that aren’t Chemistry or Physics it may qualify.

If you have other biology related science courses, I would call the Admissions Office to ask. They’re very friendly and that way you’ll know for sure whether or not it’s worth it to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you not taken any other biology courses in college like Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, etc.? I understand this is possible if you majored in something else other than Biology or non-science related. However, it’s not just strictly Biology that will satisfy that requirement so if you have other courses that aren’t Chemistry or Physics it may qualify.

If you have other biology related science courses, I would call the Admissions Office to ask. They’re very friendly and that way you’ll know for sure whether or not it’s worth it to apply.
Thank you! I definitely took other hard science classes. I'll give them a call tomorrow!

OOS secondary received this morning and submitted just now! MCW looks like a great program. I'm pulling for the Milwaukee class.

is this school geared toward primary care? wondering if I should touch upon that in my secondary.

is this school geared toward primary care? wondering if I should touch upon that in my secondary.
The regional campuses are primary-care focused. If you don't apply to the regional campuses, you don't have to mention it.

Complete here finally! Hope to get some love from this school because I'm very open to moving to the Midwest!

Can any current students comment about how urban the area around Milwaukee is? What do students do for fun?

Complete here finally! Hope to get some love from this school because I'm very open to moving to the Midwest!

Can any current students comment about how urban the area around Milwaukee is? What do students do for fun?

Not a current student but I'm a Milwaukee native, so I can give info on the area. MCW's Milwaukee campus is not actually directly in Milwaukee- it's in neighboring Wauwatosa, which is definitely more suburban than urban. If you're not from the Midwest, the 15-20 minute drive to downtown Milwaukee won't feel inconvenient at all!

It's a great city (definitely a capital-c City, if that's what you're wondering!) with a ton to do. Tons and tons of breweries, lots of indie coffee shops in the Third Ward. The lakefront is gorgeous, and the art museum is really something special. Lots of music and performance venues downtown, and big names come through pretty often. Also, Summerfest downtown is the largest music festival in the country!

In the past ten years there's been a ton of millenials moving downtown (there are more company headquarters in the area than you'd expect) so I expect the social scene is better than it was when I was growing up!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello guys,
Can someone post the exact question prompt for the optional campuses and the word/character limit?

Last edited:
"I have overcome a significant hardship."

Can anyone elaborate on what they want? Like a specific instance? What about being a first gen immigrant, ESL & first-gen college student & low SES?

Would that count?

"I have overcome a significant hardship."

Can anyone elaborate on what they want? Like a specific instance? What about being a first gen immigrant, ESL & first-gen college student & low SES?

Would that count?

Short term/long term, it doesn’t matter. They want to make sure you’ve learned how to overcome hardships - anything widely accepted as a hardship is good. It largely depends on how you write about it. It sounds like your situation would fit the idea..

Short term/long term, it doesn’t matter. They want to make sure you’ve learned how to overcome hardships - anything widely accepted as a hardship is good. It largely depends on how you write about it. It sounds like your situation would fit the idea..
Aren't there a lot of poor kids going to medical school? I feel like my hardship isn't too big.

Aren't there a lot of poor kids going to medical school? I feel like my hardship isn't too big.
Just because a lot of people experience it doesn't mean it's not a hardship

I just checked my status after submitting and see a "Dean's Certification" that's been checked marked. I never submitted this as I have no misconducts. Is it still supposed to be checked? lol.
Hey how did you resolve this? I just realized mine is incomplete for the same reason and I have no IAs...

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Quoting people below because they had questions. I'm a current student going M2. Feel free to shoot me any questions. I enjoy giving back to you guys cause I remember when I was in your shoes. If you quote and or tag me I will see it when I get on which is not often. Feel free to send me a PM after your quote or tag and I will get a notification through my email and then get on to reply. Something short like "I asked you a question" is fine. This applies throughout the year for those who stumble upon this months from now. If you want a more private answer then long PM is fine too. Good luck to you all.

Just submitted my primary today! Hoping to get some love from wisconsin :) Any current students on here?

Thanks for your willingness to answer questions. I have a few for you when you get a chance:
Which campus are you attending?
Why did you choose MCW?
What was your interview experience like? Did they welcome you and did you feel a sense of collaboration?

Thank you!

@RheumyArthritic Can you explain the differences between the 3 campuses? I get that the Milwaukee one is city based and the other 2 are not as so and also have 3 year curriculums but is there anything else? Also what is the difference between CW and Green Bay?

my casper results were delivered today but the MCOW status page still says not delivered, does this take a day or two to update?

Just a PSA for anyone who is filling out the secondary; this school is called the Medical College of Wisconsin (not "at Wisconsin" as this thread says) and is properly abbreviated as MCW. Wouldn't want a blunder like that to wrinkle an app ;)

The 8th of july
same with me and I just checked and the CAsper site says they are delivered. it probably will take a couple days for the schools to register them! i wouldnt worry

same with me and I just checked and the CAsper site says they are delivered. it probably will take a couple days for the schools to register them! i wouldnt worry

yup thats what i figured but glad to know its also true for other people thanks

Can anyone help me with this question: Have you ever been charged with or convicted of any offense?

This is so vague. A parking ticket is an offense.... Do I list a speeding ticket that I got 8 years ago?

Can anyone help me with this question: Have you ever been charged with or convicted of any offense?

This is so vague. A parking ticket is an offense.... Do I list a speeding ticket that I got 8 years ago?
lol I think you're good

Can anyone with the secondary tell me if the character counts include spaces?

Have any OOS applicants received a secondary? This is the only school I haven't received one from.

Contacted them and they sent it immediately. It must have gotten lost somehow :/

Contacted them and they sent it immediately. It must have gotten lost somehow :/
It's good that you called instead of just hanging around! You're still pretty early in the cycle so I wouldn't worry too much! :)

I submitted my Dean's Certification Form as an "additional document" but it still says it's not checked in the status page. Should I call them or wait for them to review it?

I called them about the question that asks to list any offense we've been charged with. They told me to list anything over a parking ticket, including speeding tickets and traffic violations. The reason being that they will show up on background checks. You can probably get away with omitting this, but I put down my stop sign violation just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone please post the regional essay prompts and their word limits? @dapperdoc @medschoolzombie

And also, I guess "Explain how your unique background, identity, interests, or talents will contribute to the MCW learning community and how MCW will uniquely prepare you for your future goals" is directed for the main campus then?

Last edited: