2018-2019 Medical College at Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called them about the question that asks to list any offense we've been charged with. They told me to list anything over a parking ticket, including speeding tickets and traffic violations. The reason being that they will show up on background checks. You can probably get away with omitting this, but I put down my stop sign violation just in case.
Dang really? It honestly seemed like no other school wanted that so I've just been moving straight past it, whoops. I did traffic school so I don't think it's on my record and hoping it's a non-problem

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone please post the regional essay prompts and their word limits? @dapperdoc @medschoolzombie

And also, I guess "Explain how your unique background, identity, interests, or talents will contribute to the MCW learning community and how MCW will uniquely prepare you for your future goals" is directed for the main campus then?
Describe your motivation for pursuing a primary care focused, community-based medical education program. Focus on how a MCW regional campus educational experience will prepare you for your unique future career in medicine. Include the influence of key experiences with rural or medically under-served communities.
Describe the community in which you envision yourself ultimately living and practicing medicine. Address the benefits and challenges of life in your specified community.

both 2000 characters

Reactions: 1 user
any non-trads applying here? what are you doing in regards to LOR? says that you still need undergrad letters even if you've been out of school for 4 years lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there different stats for the regional campuses? Does anyone know Avg mcat/gpa?

I submitted last week and don't have any IAs. The Dean's letters still has a red X next to it and my application isn't complete. Anyone else have this problem?

I submitted last week and don't have any IAs. The Dean's letters still has a red X next to it and my application isn't complete. Anyone else have this problem?
Did you mark yes to the question that asks about any convictions or criminal offenses? If you mark yes to that, even if it was for a speeding ticket or whatever else, it will automatically say you need the Dean's form. Email or call them and they should waive it for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you mark yes to the question that asks about any convictions or criminal offenses? If you mark yes to that, even if it was for a speeding ticket or whatever else, it will automatically say you need the Dean's form. Email or call them and they should waive it for you.
I marked it for a speeding ticket. Thank you! I'll give them a call

Current M2 here if anyone has any questions about this excellent school!

Edit: I can't say too much about the actual stats of applicants and chances as this changes every year, the MSAR is much better for this. Rather I could try to answer questions about the school, curriculum, research, clinicals, grading, etc. Sorry!

Last edited:

What do they look for in an applicant? As in, do they like more service oriented people or more research focused applicants with publications or even mix?

What do they look for in an applicant? As in, do they like more service oriented people or more research focused applicants with publications or even mix?

In my opinion they want a good mix, however I would say that service would be more important than research. Such as having zero volunteering/community service would be detrimental but having zero research would not be. Obviously this isn't absolute but rather just what I have picked up.

Anyone else having a Dean's certificate hold their application up? I've never received any sort of IA (AMCAS App say "no" and I even verified it with a dean at my college, as well as I was dead sure I never received any sort of IA) and not even so much as a speeding ticket. Not sure what the issue is....

I'll call tomorrow anyway to see what MCW says.

Anyone else having a Dean's certificate hold their application up? I've never received any sort of IA (AMCAS App say "no" and I even verified it with a dean at my college, as well as I was dead sure I never received any sort of IA) and not even so much as a speeding ticket. Not sure what the issue is....

I'll call tomorrow anyway to see what MCW says.

Just an update for anyone, even if you have selected "no" on both AMCAS and MCW's secondary, you may be shown that your application needs a Dean's Certification Form (even though you don't). It should go away when you submit.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! I'm wondering what constitutes an "underperforming" high school, if you have any idea?
I looked at my high school graduation rate and college attendance rate from the year I graduated. If they met or exceeded the state average, they are not underperforming (That's how I understand it anyway). All of this info is found online. Though, you can look at state rankings as well. For example, a school that is above average for all Georgia schools could still be below national average quite a bit... because its one of the lowest performing states in the nation. I'm from Iowa, so we have pretty good high schools in general. Hope that makes sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ca
Just an update for anyone, even if you have selected "no" on both AMCAS and MCW's secondary, you may be shown that your application needs a Dean's Certification Form (even though you don't). It should go away when you submit.
Can confirm, it went away when I submitted!

Edit: I can't say too much about the actual stats of applicants and chances as this changes every year, the MSAR is much better for this. Rather I could try to answer questions about the school, curriculum, research, clinicals, grading, etc. Sorry!

Could you give me a tl;dr the difference between the three campuses?

It seems like it's 3 years vs 4 years and I'm not sure which 1 is my top choice!

TLDR for the three campuses:

Milwaukee is the main campus with the largest amount of students ~200. 99.9% of lectures are done at the Milwaukee campus and are then streamed live to the two satellite campuses. Milwaukee campus is apart of the Milwaukee Regional Medical canpus which consists of Froedtert Hospital and Childrens hospital (along with a few other buildings). Most rotations for Milwaukee students are done at these two facilities or at a nearby partner clinic/hospital. There is no focus on any specific specialty I.e. you can be a neurosurgeon or a family care doc. Traditional 4 year curriculum with summer break after M1.

Green Bay & Central Wisconsin are the two satellite campuses that are three year curriculum with a focus on primary care & psych with the intention of staying in these geographic areas to practice. MCW developed these to help fill shortages for these areas of Wisconsin (which are more rural). I’m not sure where their clinical locations are but I’m sure they are solid. Each campus is about 30 students. Shorter breaks and less dedicated for step 1. They also have less clinicals to make up for the shorter curriculum. MCW has a large bias towards people with connections to these areas as the intention is to retain people in the state. Milwaukee takes people from all over the country.

Sorry if that’s a longer TLDR but I think I hit the major differences. I’m sure someone from a regional campus could provide more first hand experience as I am from the Milwaukee campus.

Edit: Typo

Is anyone having issues logging into the portal?

Do I have to answer "yes" even if I already wrote about my IA on my AMCAS application? This makes it seem like it's only legal offenses that need to reported (and not IA offenses). Don't want to misrepresent myself, though.

Have you ever been charged with or convicted of any offense (in addition to criminal activity that you may have already reported on your AMCAS application)?
Please explain what occurred, when, where, and the disposition of the court (fine, community service, etc.).

Do I have to answer "yes" even if I already wrote about my IA on my AMCAS application? This makes it seem like it's only legal offenses that need to reported (and not IA offenses). Don't want to misrepresent myself, though.

Have you ever been charged with or convicted of any offense (in addition to criminal activity that you may have already reported on your AMCAS application)?
Please explain what occurred, when, where, and the disposition of the court (fine, community service, etc.).
If the IA resulted in legal action of any kind then you should report it here. If it was handled solely by the school then you don't.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

does MCW wait for the CASPER score to label your app "complete"?

It's quiet....too quiet....

Reactions: 4 users
I just got a complete e-mail telling me what I already knew. I was so excited cause I thought it was an II lol. This cycle is going to make me rip my hair out haha.

Reactions: 3 users
+1 I saw stars for a second :barf:

For those that got a complete email, was it worded in kind of a weird way?? Mine basically said I’ve been initially reviewed and am now “in a pool of applicants potentially invited to interview”... makes it sound more promising than just a general complete email lol, but is this what everyone else is getting too?

For those that got a complete email, was it worded in kind of a weird way?? Mine basically said I’ve been initially reviewed and am now “in a pool of applicants potentially invited to interview”... makes it sound more promising than just a general complete email lol, but is this what everyone else is getting too?
I received a complete email right after I submitted about a month ago and mine didn't say that. When did you submit?

I received that email this morning as well! I don't think it's II hold, but I think we survived a cut :)

I received a complete email right after I submitted about a month ago and mine didn't say that. When did you submit?

I submitted 7/2 but I don’t think I got a “complete” email just a “submitted” one!

and you got an additional complete email?
Yes, here's what the email says: (MCW: MCW Medical School Admissions Review Notification)
Dear (name),

Thank you for your continued interest in MCW Medical School!

The Admissions Committee has completed its initial review of your application, and your application has moved forward in the process to the group of applicants who will potentially be invited to interview for admission. That group is still significantly larger than our interview schedule can accomodate. Candidates are selected from this group throughout the cycle to receive an interview invitation on the basis of strength of credentials and completion date of application.

If you are selected for an interview invitation, you will receive communication via email. Additional review of your application or updates you provide will only occur if you are interviewed.

Thank you for your interest, and please contact the Office of Admissions with any questions.

Sincerely,

qmiF-F45TwWReCi-Y8MR-ZWH_PVtZE-Rz1RDbm8e_oIww2H5R2iG0weWwFtQXU60az-UF-6udkl5E8PAcW9fKod9h4cTun7QsDPbFLQpxboial_QQE2w35INqQ=s0-d-e1-ft

Alexis C. Meyer
Director of Recruitment and Admissions
MCW Medical School

I received that email this morning as well! I don't think it's II hold, but I think we survived a cut :)

I’m really hoping that’s good news rather than bad because I’m still without any II’s and I’m getting discouraged :(

I’m really hoping that’s good news rather than bad because I’m still without any II’s and I’m getting discouraged :(

LOL I received an complete email from them a few days ago, and didn't see that initially so I went back to check and all I get in that email is "sorry you were complete during a time when our system wasn't working, but you are in fact complete" … the disappointment continues

Does anyone's portal not show a completed Casper? I checked Casper and it said results had been delivered but MCW shows it has not received Casper still.

Yes, here's what the email says: (MCW: MCW Medical School Admissions Review Notification)
Dear (name),

Thank you for your continued interest in MCW Medical School!

The Admissions Committee has completed its initial review of your application, and your application has moved forward in the process to the group of applicants who will potentially be invited to interview for admission. That group is still significantly larger than our interview schedule can accomodate. Candidates are selected from this group throughout the cycle to receive an interview invitation on the basis of strength of credentials and completion date of application.

If you are selected for an interview invitation, you will receive communication via email. Additional review of your application or updates you provide will only occur if you are interviewed.

Thank you for your interest, and please contact the Office of Admissions with any questions.

Sincerely,

qmiF-F45TwWReCi-Y8MR-ZWH_PVtZE-Rz1RDbm8e_oIww2H5R2iG0weWwFtQXU60az-UF-6udkl5E8PAcW9fKod9h4cTun7QsDPbFLQpxboial_QQE2w35INqQ=s0-d-e1-ft

Alexis C. Meyer
Director of Recruitment and Admissions
MCW Medical School
That sounds like pre- interview hold ... I got something similar in WVU .

That sounds like pre- interview hold ... I got something similar in WVU .

Has anyone received II though? I thought holds only really happened when there’s also II/rejections going out. I took it more like they like the applicant enough to consider for interview and not outright rejection... but also who knows :)

Has anyone received II though? I thought holds only really happened when there’s also II/rejections going out. I took it more like they like the applicant enough to consider for interview and not outright rejection... but also who knows :)
That's how I interpreted it as well. I don't see why they would tiptoe around saying "your a** is on hold."

Look at the previous MCW thread - this was commonly referred to as the ‘small pool e-mail’. It was interpreted more as moving forward into a pool smaller than that of the total secondary submission pool. Many people who received this e-mail were later invited to interviews, many were not. Some who did not receive it did receive IIs I believe, but to me it seemed it followed small pool email —> II

Look at the previous MCW thread - this was commonly referred to as the ‘small pool e-mail’. It was interpreted more as moving forward into a pool smaller than that of the total secondary submission pool. Many people who received this e-mail were later invited to interviews, many were not. Some who did not receive it did receive IIs I believe, but to me it seemed it followed small pool email —> II
The above is correct. If your app is amazing to MCW, you will get an interview outright. If it’s not competitive, you will be rejected outright. If they’re not sure if they want to send an II outright but do not want to reject you, you receive the above email known as the “small pool email”. This is good news in the sense that you have not been rejected after they reviewed your app. So an II is possible at any time from now until the end of the interview season (for MCW, this is usually sometime in March).

I, personally, received this email before my II to Green Bay. So keep hope alive and spirits up. But also know that people do also receive this email and are never eventually invited to interview. It can go either way at this point but just focus on the fact that you’re still in the game and survived a point in the application process where they could’ve rejected you. Congrats!!

The above is correct. If your app is amazing to MCW, you will get an interview outright. If it’s not competitive, you will be rejected outright. If they’re not sure if they want to send an II outright but do not want to reject you, you receive the above email known as the “small pool email”. This is good news in the sense that you have not been rejected after they reviewed your app. So an II is possible at any time from now until the end of the interview season (for MCW, this is usually sometime in March).

I, personally, received this email before my II to Green Bay. So keep hope alive and spirits up. But also know that people do also receive this email and are never eventually invited to interview. It can go either way at this point but just focus on the fact that you’re still in the game and survived a point in the application process where they could’ve rejected you. Congrats!!
Do they send actual rejection emails or do they just ghost you?

Do they send actual rejection emails or do they just ghost you?
They do. I don’t think they’re that frequent, especially this early in the cycle. But they do send rejections out. Getting the small pool email, to me, is better than hearing nothing (and then eventually being rejected) because at least you know they like you and your app. It’s just up to how you compare to the rest of the applicant pool at that point. Yes, you can ultimately be rejected after being small pooled but I don’t see that happening until the end of the cycle.

So is it preferable to receive a small pool email over a regular complete email? Like does the small pool email substitute the complete email or does it come after? I have a complete email but also submitted in late July so..

So is it preferable to receive a small pool email over a regular complete email? Like does the small pool email substitute the complete email or does it come after? I have a complete email but also submitted in late July so..
The small pool email comes after the complete email.

Can’t tell if I should be excited, discouraged or indifferent about not getting a “small pool email”

Reactions: 2 users