2018-2019 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Y’all know if anyone has ever gotten off waitlist tier 3

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Recently accepted.does anyone have a full calendar for the class of 2023.start dates and when class starts

Reactions: 1 user
Just got the acceptance call 5 mins ago off the tier 2 waitlist. Interviewed 2/22.

Members don't see this ad :)
For people at MSUCOM. How is the year long schedule feel? How are your chances in specialization? Curious because I know a majority due primary care here.

Current students, how much time do you have after classes end second year to study for your boards? Also, did you feel the curriculum did a good job preparing you for the COMLEX/USMLE and incorporated board prep into the classes? Thanks!

This year the M2s finished around mid April. That leaves you with dedicated study time from then until you schedule a exam date. Most people go for 8-9 weeks of dedicated studying and say that it is plenty, some do more.

Your first year you get all of your basics done before spring semester and then everything is systems based. A lot of people chose to study for the systems courses like they would for boards, using first aid, sketcy, pathoma, B&B videos, etc. And then you have your winter break of second year to wet your feet and get into it. Yes the curriculum prepares you, we have a lot of profs that write questions for the boards. But also you have to spend a lot of time, especially your dedicated study period, prepping on your own. But this happens regardless of school and curriculum. If you do well in your systems courses or at least you try your best to really understand the material, you will be set up for when the time comes to prep individually.

Anyone else that wants to add in feel free!

For people at MSUCOM. How is the year long schedule feel? How are your chances in specialization? Curious because I know a majority due primary care here.
Plenty of people match in other specialties, I would not worry about that. A majority match in primary care in most osteopathic schools, but that does not limit you.

Personally, I like the year long. You still get spring/winter break and random little week long breaks throughout the year that come in handy when you're tired and sick of studying and just need a nice week refresher. During your second year you also get August off, during which you might be scheduled to do one of your two fam med preclerk rotations but otherwise you have the other weeks to relax/do research/volunteer/travel.

I like it :)

Current students, does anyone have input on living closer to campus vs. living a little further out? (i.e. convenience vs less expensive/more space?) I'm sure a lot of it comes down to personal preference, just wondering if anyone has some advice. Thank you!!

Received the call today off of T3 waitlist!! Interviewed 1/24

Reactions: 4 users
What will a summer schedule look like for first year students? For example, is it Monday-Friday 8-5 every day? Still waiting for my PID/PAN numbers to access the calendar so an answer would be appreciated!

What will a summer schedule look like for first year students? For example, is it Monday-Friday 8-5 every day? Still waiting for my PID/PAN numbers to access the calendar so an answer would be appreciated!

It looks like its mostly 8-12. Some Thursdays/Fridays there's only one class at 8. Lab is split up by groups, so some people have it earlier in the day, some will be in the later group, but they rotate so you're not stuck doing the 3-5 shift every single time.

Hey everyone! Just wanted to let everyone on the waitlist know that I withdrew my acceptance to MSUCOM (East Lansing campus) this morning. I hope this helps out someone on the waitlist!

Hey guys. How do we get our PAN/PID? Also I selected MSU on the FAFSA. When should I hear about financial aid.

Hey guys. How do we get our PAN/PID? Also I selected MSU on the FAFSA. When should I hear about financial aid.

Took me like 2 weeks to hear back from fafsa and like 3 for pin/pad.

If my transcripts and fingerprints don’t arrive until the day of our first orientation, would that affect enrollment/matriculation at all?

If my transcripts and fingerprints don’t arrive until the day of our first orientation, would that affect enrollment/matriculation at all?

I would think not. Just make sure to tell them they are processing. I am late on one of my TB immunizations.

Hi friends -- recent grad here. Happy to answer questions you may have about interviewing, preclerkship years, clerkship years, and/or things related to residency coming from MSU! I'm a few years out from some of this but expect current students will also be around. Best of luck with the app cycle!

Thank you so much for the encouragement it is greatly appreciated. Applying this cycle and currently submitting the secondary application! Is it possible to direct message you questions?

For clinical experiences should i list all of the ones I included in aacomas including DO& MD shadowing, and hospital and clinical volunteering?
I have also seen posts from previous years talking about adding high school experiences but I do not see any instructions to do so on this years secondaries. I called the MSUCOM office and asked but they said that they couldnt tell me what to do for that, so i am a little confused

For clinical experiences should i list all of the ones I included in aacomas including DO& MD shadowing, and hospital and clinical volunteering?
I have also seen posts from previous years talking about adding high school experiences but I do not see any instructions to do so on this years secondaries. I called the MSUCOM office and asked but they said that they couldnt tell me what to do for that, so i am a little confused

Did you ever get an answer for this?
Yes do it I spoke to an admissions counselor and she told me I should have put it. It only helps, they value a lot hours in community service and shadowing. Trust me just do it