2018-2019 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone here waitlisted last year? I was placed on T3 then and I’m like nerve wrecked to hear back from my 3/7 interview. I don’t think my heart can handle not getting in twice. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's a fun little story that everyone here will be able to relate to:

Yesterday, I got a call from an unknown Detroit number. Being the crazy pre-med that I am, of course my mind jumped to "OMG this is the MSU acceptance call!" I (a girl) answer. The other person: "Hi, I'm looking for Al, but this must be the wrong number." That was the fastest emotion swing I think I've ever had in my life!

Today, I get the waitlist email. It's tier 1, so at least I can be happy about that, but still slightly disappointed.

Does anyone know how they feel about letters of intent? I wrote one right after my interview because I expected this outcome, should I send it ASAP?
When did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted yesterday! Interviewed 2/27. Nothing but incredible support from the staff and students at this school. Really wowed me even though it was my shortest interview. Looking forward to attending in the summer!

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know if the acceptances off of the waitlist are strictly chronological or do they have us ranked in some way?

Does anyone know if the acceptances off of the waitlist are strictly chronological or do they have us ranked in some way?
I was wondering this too. From what I've seen and read in the posts it doesn't appear to be chronological. However, I am not sure if there is some additional sort of ranking.

Reactions: 1 users
Here's a fun little story that everyone here will be able to relate to:

Yesterday, I got a call from an unknown Detroit number. Being the crazy pre-med that I am, of course my mind jumped to "OMG this is the MSU acceptance call!" I (a girl) answer. The other person: "Hi, I'm looking for Al, but this must be the wrong number." That was the fastest emotion swing I think I've ever had in my life!

Today, I get the waitlist email. It's tier 1, so at least I can be happy about that, but still slightly disappointed.

Does anyone know how they feel about letters of intent? I wrote one right after my interview because I expected this outcome, should I send it ASAP?

Definitely send the LOI, add any updates that may have happened in the meantime since you sent your application. And don't be disappointed at all, last year they took everyone from Tier 1! You got this!

Waitlist email today. Tier two. Disappointed of course but still hopeful! Between now and my interview I have shadowed a physician who attended MSUCOM. I am debating on whether it would be beneficial for me to upload a letter of recommendation from her as well? She offered, but I would hate to ask if it would not be helpful at this point. Anyone have a suggestion? Thank you!!

Send it!! Anything you can add to your application is helpful. And Tier 2 is a good spot to be in. You still have a strong chance so show them that you're still interested.

Saw the one Tier 2 acceptance earlier in this thread. I was put on T2 after the 11/30 interview and hoping we can get some more acceptance calls soon. Anyone else from T2 hear anything??

Reactions: 5 users
Put on T2 and in the email they said to send in any updates that might change my candidacy for admissions. However, called the admissions office yesterday and the lady I spoke with stated it would "be a waste of time" because they do not re-review files after they have made their decision so it is unlikely that anyone would even see the updates.

Does anyone have clarification on this? I don't know why they would suggest sending in update letters, etc. if they don't re-review? How would they decide who gets off the waitlist without reviewing again?

y'all what's the last hour of the interview AM day program? I'm trying to catch a flight immediately after the interview and would rather get out an hour early to be safe, can anyone who's already been tell me if it'll be a presentation or lunch or something else non-mandatory?

Members don't see this ad :)
y'all what's the last hour of the interview AM day program? I'm trying to catch a flight immediately after the interview and would rather get out an hour early to be safe, can anyone who's already been tell me if it'll be a presentation or lunch or something else non-mandatory?
I interviewed in the afternoon, but I assume each half of the day is similar in structure. We were split up into two groups after a brief welcome from Dr. Ruger. The first group went to interview while the second group stayed for presentations, Q/A with med students, and a tour. Then we switched. If you're in the second group, you'll be interviewing as the last part of your day so I wouldn't book a flight on the assumption that you'll be able to leave early.

I believe it depends on the group you are in (not everyone follow the same timeline). I definitely wouldn't recommend trying to leave early. Even if you already completed the interview, leaving early could reflect poorly on your interest in the school. But it is well organized and you should get out on time. (Good Luck!)

Withdrew today so hope one of you gets that phone call from MSU. Excellent program but a little far from family for me.

Good luck everyone!

I got accepted a few hours ago, interviewed 3/7. After being T3’d last year I wasn’t expecting a straight acceptance at all but I’m so grateful.

Really just posting to let you all know to not lose hope! Get that meeting with them and go from there! If anyone needs any support or motivation or anything at all please feel free to let me know! It will happen for you eventually!

Reactions: 6 users
Got accepted today, also interviewed on 3/7! Earlier in the day I got a waitlist email from another school I was hoping to get into and it just added to an already awful week, but the world works in mysterious ways because now I can go to my top school.

Hang in there everyone! Good news comes when you least expect it!

Reactions: 3 users
Also got accepted today, interviewed on 3/7. Good luck everyone!

Does anyone know if this school requires a certain minimal grade to be maintained in classes after one has been accepted? Not trying to slack just curious on if I should be concerned with my current situation lol. Wondering on what that grade would be if there is one

Does anyone know if this school requires a certain minimal grade to be maintained in classes after one has been accepted? Not trying to slack just curious on if I should be concerned with my current situation lol. Wondering on what that grade would be if there is one

I'm was wondering the same thing too. I think as long as we keep it above a C+, we should be fine?

Acceptance yesterday as well! My first one, I'm super excited! Interviewed 3/7

Reactions: 5 users
I'm was wondering the same thing too. I think as long as we keep it above a C+, we should be fine?
Considering they look for no lower than a solid C in prereqs I would assume it wouldn't be C+ for other courses. Probably lower if they even have a minimum.

I emailed the admissions office because I wanted to know if each of the different WL tiers were ranked chronologically or by strength of applicant, and they emailed back saying, "We're sorry, but we can't provide statistics about the waitlists"...... I really wish this process was just a little more transparent

Is MSUCOM still sending out interviews? Anyone know for sure if 4/5 is the last interview date?

Just wondering if I'm tracking this right. Is tomorrow supposed to be the decision day for the 3/20 interviewees? I saw that 3/7 was given decisions last week.

I emailed the admissions office because I wanted to know if each of the different WL tiers were ranked chronologically or by strength of applicant, and they emailed back saying, "We're sorry, but we can't provide statistics about the waitlists"...... I really wish this process was just a little more transparent

Every time they sit down to review an applicant on the waitlist, they review everything all over again. It's like they review your application just as they did the first time when it came in, only with additional information from your interview day. They can't share with you exactly where on the list you are because it is constantly fluctuating. All the way up until the day you receive an acceptance or rejection. Just hang in there, if you're on T1 you are golden. T2, still a strong chance of getting in.

Put on T2 and in the email they said to send in any updates that might change my candidacy for admissions. However, called the admissions office yesterday and the lady I spoke with stated it would "be a waste of time" because they do not re-review files after they have made their decision so it is unlikely that anyone would even see the updates.

Does anyone have clarification on this? I don't know why they would suggest sending in update letters, etc. if they don't re-review? How would they decide who gets off the waitlist without reviewing again?

I'm not sure if they changed the game now but when I was applying and was in the same situation, I was told that they do re-review. And it's not like they will reject your additional material so send away. It never hurts to keep trying and keep showing interest, even if they maybe now don't do anything with it like they did when I applied.

Rejected post-interview 3/20. Was waitlisted T3 last year. A bit surprised that the decision got bleaker this year, but nothing to do but move forward. Crossing my fingers for everyone else.

Hi y'all! I went to accept my acceptance and filled out all the forms and paid the deposit but the secondary app portal doesn't seem to have registered that I paid the deposit yet. Did anyone else have a delay in the portal updating after paying the deposit? Or should I call them tomorrow? Thanks in advance!

Accepted yesterday around 2:30. Interviewed 3/20.

Just wanted to give a clearer answer here, most classes have a requirement of over 70% to pass since there aren't letter grades. I've only had one class with 75% requirement and one that will be 80% in the summer. I'm a M1 to clarify.

I think you misunderstood. I was talking about undergrad grades after acceptance and before matriculating into med school.

Every time they sit down to review an applicant on the waitlist, they review everything all over again. It's like they review your application just as they did the first time when it came in, only with additional information from your interview day. They can't share with you exactly where on the list you are because it is constantly fluctuating. All the way up until the day you receive an acceptance or rejection. Just hang in there, if you're on T1 you are golden. T2, still a strong chance of getting in.
This is the exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks!!

Recently accepted and am wondering what are some good housing options? Any current students have any recommendations?

Recently accepted and am wondering what are some good housing options? Any current students have any recommendations?

Depends on your current situation IMO and your preferences

Hannah townhomes, the lodges, and berrytree are where a majority of COM students live. Very much a college vibe, undergrads/parties, 900-1100 for a studio, closest you can get to fee. Okemos (just look by okemos rd and meridian mall) is more family friendly suburbs, cheapish, chiller vibe but you have to drive 5-10mins to campus rent is about 500-900 around here. Some newer places popping up on grand river, closer to the bar scene main campus and food places of east lansing, not sure on price but my guess is 1000+ for studio

So I can sign and submit the admissions agreement that says I plan to attend this summer without being bound to do so? I still need to make a decision but my timeline to pay my deposit is running out.

Yes. If it was all about the agreement then there would be no such thing as deposit. Deposit is the thing that tells them you are serious about going, not the agreement. You’ll just lose the money

What is the likelihood of getting off the Tier 2 Canadian waitlist at this juncture?

What is the likelihood of getting off the Tier 2 Canadian waitlist at this juncture?

Unfortunately, unlikely...it's just the realistic answer. I was put on the T1 Canadian WL last year and didn't move off of it. IF you're set on this school, reach out to one of the admissions advisors and discuss your application/interview- see where your weaknesses are and strive to improve them for the upcoming cycle.

If I was accepted early in the cycle and already paid the deposit, by when do I have to withdraw if I’m still on the waitlist for MD schools?

If I was accepted early in the cycle and already paid the deposit, by when do I have to withdraw if I’m still on the waitlist for MD schools?
I'm pretty sure you can withdraw whenever you want to, but you will just lose your deposit.