2018-2019 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi friends -- recent grad here. Happy to answer questions you may have about interviewing, preclerkship years, clerkship years, and/or things related to residency coming from MSU! I'm a few years out from some of this but expect current students will also be around. Best of luck with the app cycle!

Reactions: 1 user
Verified 5/21

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
Current 2nd year here, also happy to help with any questions regarding preclerkships and the school. Best of luck!

Hi friends -- recent grad here. Happy to answer questions you may have about interviewing, preclerkship years, clerkship years, and/or things related to residency coming from MSU! I'm a few years out from some of this but expect current students will also be around. Best of luck with the app cycle!

what's one thing you don't like about MSUCOM?

I don't like how the school is going through so many leadership changes right now. While the interim dean is top-notch (and will hopefully end up being elected permanently), it's tough to lose the majority of the school leadership and know how that will affect incoming classes.

I have an issue with certain classes (how the material is presented, what's taught, etc.), but I feel that is a complaint that probably occurs at every single medical school.

I'm sure there are a bunch of things that I can complain about it, but again, I think there are problems at most medical schools and I've heard the saying that med students ***** about everything.

Can someone post the secondary essays? I want to get a head start on writing. Thanks!

MSU Secondary Questions for this year!

(All 250 word count)
Which tenet of osteopathic medicine interests you the most?
How would you like to be remembered by your friends, family, and community?
Describe an interpersonal interaction you experienced in which you were dissatisfied with the outcome. How would you approach it differently now?

I have two questions that I'd really appreciate any advice on:

1) For the requirements, if I still need to take biochem next fall, do I leave the box unchecked? Or do I check it because I'll have completed it by the time I matriculate?

2) Given that MSU doesn't require a physician letter, would it be better to apply by July 1st without one, or wait until mid July to submit with a physician letter? Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have two questions that I'd really appreciate any advice on:

1) For the requirements, if I still need to take biochem next fall, do I leave the box unchecked? Or do I check it because I'll have completed it by the time I matriculate?

2) Given that MSU doesn't require a physician letter, would it be better do apply by July 1st without one, or wait until mid July to submit with a physician letter? Thoughts?

Regarding #1: There's a text box on the secondary where you can write about any in-progress courses that you are taking/will take in the coming year.

Regarding #1: There's a text box on the secondary where you can write about any in-progress courses that you are taking/will take in the coming year.

So I would leave the box that says "16 hours of chemistry including 3 hours of biochem" unchecked (incomplete) and then explain that it's planned in the text box below? Just making sure that by leaving it unchecked I won't get screened for not having the required prerequisites.

So I would leave the box that says "16 hours of chemistry including 3 hours of biochem" unchecked (incomplete) and then explain that it's planned in the text box below? Just making sure that by leaving it unchecked I won't get screened for not having the required prerequisites.
Don't worry about being screened out. They'll still process your application and likely make interview/admission decisions without completed biochem. It would just have to be completed before matriculation. Good to note that it's planned.

For #2 it's always best to submit right away. Send in the physician letter later if/when you get it. It doesn't hurt to shoot them an email at that point to let them know you've updated your application.

For clinical experiences should i list all of the ones I included in aacomas including DO& MD shadowing, and hospital and clinical volunteering?

I have also seen posts from previous years talking about adding high school experiences but I do not see any instructions to do so on this years secondaries. I called the MSUCOM office and asked but they said that they couldnt tell me what to do for that, so i am a little confused

Last edited:
What has everyone put for the optional essay? I am struggling with writing it because I am not sure with what they are looking for.

i just realized that this school admits mostly in state applicants. I'm from connecticut but have somewhat some ties to the midwest- my dad is from Ohio and I often visit that area. Not sure if it is enough? Or if that's something I could write about in the optional essay part? (is ohio even close enough to make ties to michigan?)

i just realized that this school admits mostly in state applicants. I'm from connecticut but have somewhat some ties to the midwest- my dad is from Ohio and I often visit that area. Not sure if it is enough? Or if that's something I could write about in the optional essay part? (is ohio even close enough to make ties to michigan?)
Yes, about 80% in-state (10% Canadian and 10% other OOS). Be aware that OOS tuition is very high though many scholarships are given out.

Regional ties are certainly important (and yes, Ohio is close enough -- especially if it's the Toledo area which has, arguably ;), always been a part of Michigan at heart)!

But yes, strong in-state bias and OOS applicants will generally have a higher barrier to entry.

Yes, about 80% in-state (10% Canadian and 10% other OOS). Be aware that OOS tuition is very high though many scholarships are given out.

Regional ties are certainly important (and yes, Ohio is close enough -- especially if it's the Toledo area which has, arguably ;), always been a part of Michigan at heart)!

But yes, strong in-state bias and OOS applicants will generally have a higher barrier to entry.
hmmm, to throw caution and money to the wind and submit a secondary to here or not. my stats aren't particularly great, LM ~ 65 so might not be worth it. but then again, you never know if you don't try!

Would they consider regional ties through family? In my case, all of my mother's family had emigrated from England to Detroit in the early 1900s and most of our family still lives in Michigan. Even though I'm from Florida, I've had the opportunity to go up there a handful of times and experience the culture. I spoke about all of this in the optional essay portion as well.

Last edited:
Would they consider regional ties through family? In my case, all of my mother's family had emigrated from England to Detroit in the early 1920s and most of our family still lives in Michigan. Even though I'm from Florida, I've had the opportunity to go up there a handful of times and experience the culture. I spoke about all of this in the optional essay portion as well.
Sure. Certainly gives you a leg up over an applicant who has no obvious reason to want to come to Michigan. Still an uphill battle so it's good to submit as early as possible (in my experience early days in the interview season tend to be more full of OOS applicants) and cross your fingers!

Sure. Certainly gives you a leg up over an applicant who has no obvious reason to want to come to Michigan. Still an uphill battle so it's good to submit as early as possible (in my experience early days in the interview season tend to be more full of OOS applicants) and cross your fingers!

Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah I have already submitted my secondary application so we shall see!!

Current first year at msucom! Happy to answer any questions as well since I'm fresh on where you guys are right now in the application process (and I'm a reapplicant so I have a bit of insight on that situation as well). Good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 4 users
Current first year at msucom! Happy to answer any questions as well since I'm fresh on where you guys are right now in the application process (and I'm a reapplicant so I have a bit of insight on that situation as well). Good luck everyone!!

around what time did they start sending interview invites?

Hey @scrub.in, thanks for offering to answer q's. Any chance you would know what MSUCOM's policy is regarding repeated courses? Since the erasure of grade replacement policy I've heard some schools still do it but on their own. If you could shed some light on this, it'll be awesome. Thanks!

Hey @scrub.in, thanks for offering to answer q's. Any chance you would know what MSUCOM's policy is regarding repeated courses? Since the erasure of grade replacement policy I've heard some schools still do it but on their own. If you could shed some light on this, it'll be awesome. Thanks!
They average the two grades that you earned which I think is the policy in general for DO applicants now.

Is anyone's secondary application officially complete on the portal yet? I submitted a few days ago but my letters of rec still aren't showing up as received by MSU. They sent out II's last year around July 15 so I'm trying to figure out if I need to call soon or not.

Is anyone's secondary application officially complete on the portal yet? I submitted a few days ago but my letters of rec still aren't showing up as received by MSU. They sent out II's last year around July 15 so I'm trying to figure out if I need to call soon or not.

I'd call. mine is complete in terms of everything except mcat score. when i uploaded my letters to aacomas, it showed on MSU's site two days after

Yes, and it will list the date it was completed under the application status tab.

I'd call. mine is complete in terms of everything except mcat score. when i uploaded my letters to aacomas, it showed on MSU's site two days after
Thanks for the heads up! I missed the little caveat on the secondary about committee letter packets needing to be addressed with admissions so that was why.

Submitted 7/3. Got the complete email today. Hoping for some OOS love!

How long does it take to be verified by aacomas? I submitted and was complete a little over a week ago

How long does it take to be verified by aacomas? I submitted and was complete a little over a week ago

It took about a week for them to verify my application on AACOMAS but that was way before the cycle opened. So with the volume of applicants and the 4th just passing it may be a few more days?

My friend just got an interview today. I'm assuming she's one of the first. Her interview is August 1st

Do you know when your friend submitted her secondary and when she was officially complete?

Do they send secondaries to everyone? Just got mine today and I am wondering if it is worth submitting?

My MCAT is low based on the things I have been hearing so I am not sure how I even got a secondary

Do you know when your friend submitted her secondary and when she was officially complete?
She turned her secondary in on June 26th. She’s also in omsp which is a program we have that gives preference to certain people

Do they send secondaries to everyone? Just got mine today and I am wondering if it is worth submitting?

My MCAT is low based on the things I have been hearing so I am not sure how I even got a secondary

well, what is your mcat? try to compare that to their recent entering class profile. I'd still apply, u submitted the primary so you're considered a re-applicant if u dont send in secondary still so why not

Secondary received! Do you guys think it's worth filling out the optional essay? I feel weird leaving it blank but I truly can't think of any fun or unique things about myself, lol.

She turned her secondary in on June 26th. She’s also in omsp which is a program we have that gives preference to certain people

Hm good to know, I submitted my secondary a few days before that after receiving it the 21st, but haven’t received an interview invite yet. Do you know by chance if they send out a few II’s daily or once a week?

Hm good to know, I submitted my secondary a few days before that after receiving it the 21st, but haven’t received an interview invite yet. Do you know by chance if they send out a few II’s daily or once a week?
Sorry, I’m not sure. She’s the only one I know that is applying to msucom. I’ll ask around though

Secondary received! Do you guys think it's worth filling out the optional essay? I feel weird leaving it blank but I truly can't think of any fun or unique things about myself, lol.

I talked/bragged about a hobby I've gotten really good at/enjoy doing as a way to breakup the stress from being around science and medicine all day. Maybe you like to collect things? Exercise/marathon training (it actually is interesting and people do connect over this!)? Do you cook? Have you traveled somewhere cool and fun? I mean if you're anything like Olivia Pope, there's something interesting about you.

I talked/bragged about a hobby I've gotten really good at/enjoy doing as a way to breakup the stress from being around science and medicine all day. Maybe you like to collect things? Exercise/marathon training (it actually is interesting and people do connect over this!)? Do you cook? Have you traveled somewhere cool and fun? I mean if you're anything like Olivia Pope, there's something interesting about you.

This actually helped haha! I do have a pretty cool collection that I'm proud of. Thank you! And while I simply aspire to be like Olivia Pope, I guess I can conjure up some similarities between us:laugh:

Thanks a lot, Lil Sebastian. You're 5000 candles in the wind.

This actually helped haha! I do have a pretty cool collection that I'm proud of. Thank you! And while I simply aspire to be like Olivia Pope, I guess I can conjure up some similarities between us:laugh:

Thanks a lot, Lil Sebastian. You're 5000 candles in the wind.

Omg. Yeah we just became internet friends.

Did people just use the same description for their clinical experiences that they used on AACOMAS?