2018-2019 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm pretty sure you can withdraw whenever you want to, but you will just lose your deposit.
The deadline to pay half the summer tuition is april 30th, if I were to get off the waitlist for an MD school in May would they refund that money?

Members don't see this ad.

The deadline to pay half the summer tuition is april 30th, if I were to get off the waitlist for an MD school in May would they refund that money?

I read somewhere that they refund 100% if you withdraw within the first 1/4 of the semester, only counting weekdays.

Reactions: 1 user
Got the acceptance call off the first tier waitlist today!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
LOL just posted the comment above 4 hours ago, and got the call from admissions 20 minutes ago!!

Reactions: 8 users
Weirdly specific question, but I was wondering if any current students can answer. Where do you guys park/How much do you pay for a permit to park and where does said permit allow you to park? Like can I park near the school and the main library if I wanted to study there when not in class? Thanks!

Unfortunately on week days the closest you can get is an eyde parking pass for 225$ a year, the school sells permits by the clinical center(i think) for 169 per semester. Weekends you can park in the faculty lot by fee. Summer you can park in lot 91 for free and many other places. Sadly i dont know of any parking passes available for the near the library, when I went to the main lib i usually parked in IM west and just studied until the parking attendent left but it's pay by plate now.

Thank you for the information! It sounds like parking is intense lol
Haha! Parking can be pretty intense at MSU. There are a fair amount of rules and if you park somewhere you shouldn't be parked or your meter runs out, you will probably get a ticket. But, you'll learn the rules really quickly and parking services is friendly if you ever have a question. Also, MSU is pretty pedestrian and bike friendly so walking around is easy (usually easier to walk/bike than drive bc of limited parking options). The main library isn't super close to the East side of campus but it is a nice walk. There is also the law library, which is kind of in between the main library and Fee so that's always an option too. One of the nice things about campus is that there are a bunch of places to study, even just in Fee.

y'all does anyone know what the deadline is to submit the deposit if we just now are getting accepted? I can't find it in the portal or email.

OOS students, would you be so kind as to share how you are financing the high tuition? Were you able to procure any of the OOS scholarships after the first year? Thanks a ton in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
y'all does anyone know what the deadline is to submit the deposit if we just now are getting accepted? I can't find it in the portal or email.
I just called and they said we have only 7 days from the admissions offer to accept it. So act quickly!!

OOS students, would you be so kind as to share how you are financing the high tuition? Were you able to procure any of the OOS scholarships after the first year? Thanks a ton in advance!
They're giving me a $30k scholarship per year so that helps a ton! I'm unsure if they're providing it to all OOS students though?

Hey all! Super excited to have been offered the acceptance after a 4/5 interview date! I grew up a huge Spartan fan in southeast Michigan, and this is a dream come true! I'm still waiting on one other school that I'm quite interested in, but I'm starting to gear up to start at MSUCOM.

Two questions for anyone who thinks they can help my neuroticism as this crazy application process comes to a close:

1) How receptive are OOS residency programs to MSUCOM fourth years, both in terms of residency placements and audition rotations? I like Michigan and the midwest in general, but since graduation, I've made great friends and memories in Chicago (near my undergrad) and Boston (where I'm living now). I'd like to feel like I'd have the option to go to residency in Chicago or in the Northeast if I work hard, crush boards and interview well, but MSU seems to send very few people to these cities/regions, per the match data. Can anyone comment on whether the Michigan-heavy residency placement is more the result of self-selection bias (i.e. MSU grads just generally prefer to stay in Michigan and do have decent success in getting one of their top-choice residencies) or an actual difficulty in finding placement outside of the state?

2) Much more minor question -I'm hoping to land at the EL campus and wanted to know if there are any discounts/deals/memberships for campus gyms/facilities, and/or any deals pertaining to sporting events (e.g. basketball, football, hockey games). Let me know if there are COM student benefits or if we're on our own!

Thanks in advance, and can't wait to hopefully meet some of you!

Hey all! Super excited to have been offered the acceptance after a 4/5 interview date! I grew up a huge Spartan fan in southeast Michigan, and this is a dream come true! I'm still waiting on one other school that I'm quite interested in, but I'm starting to gear up to start at MSUCOM.

Two questions for anyone who thinks they can help my neuroticism as this crazy application process comes to a close:

1) How receptive are OOS residency programs to MSUCOM fourth years, both in terms of residency placements and audition rotations? I like Michigan and the midwest in general, but since graduation, I've made great friends and memories in Chicago (near my undergrad) and Boston (where I'm living now). I'd like to feel like I'd have the option to go to residency in Chicago or in the Northeast if I work hard, crush boards and interview well, but MSU seems to send very few people to these cities/regions, per the match data. Can anyone comment on whether the Michigan-heavy residency placement is more the result of self-selection bias (i.e. MSU grads just generally prefer to stay in Michigan and do have decent success in getting one of their top-choice residencies) or an actual difficulty in finding placement outside of the state?

2) Much more minor question -I'm hoping to land at the EL campus and wanted to know if there are any discounts/deals/memberships for campus gyms/facilities, and/or any deals pertaining to sporting events (e.g. basketball, football, hockey games). Let me know if there are COM student benefits or if we're on our own!

Thanks in advance, and can't wait to hopefully meet some of you!

From talking with directors of med ed at the base hospitals i can say without a doubt that you will have an advantage scheduling auditions at scs locations generally. Just like some schools where students have a great shot at matching their home programs due to being a known commodity, the same will go for base hospital residencies. Just know its a lottery system and you may not get your first or second choice base hospital, i know that from experience. However a decent amount do.

With regards to matching OOS id say its a majority preference to stay in state, it is also a very DO friendly state while boston may not be a very DO friendly city (i dont actually know this about boston tho tbh). So students in general will have their best shot in the state.

Other DO state schools like OSU have very similar match lists, most of the students are recruited from that state and so the match list shows most of them stay near home/family.

If you want to match to places like boston/san fran/nyc, be sure to be competitive as possible. Not saying itll necessarily be that hard (depends on what specialty you want), but the more you market yourself as competitive the more open other locations become.

Having connections to regions help as well, without those connections auditions are your best shot at opening regions. Most of the MSU grads ive talked to said the midwest is where the majority of their IVs came from.

So TLDR to #1 its both

To #2 there are free gym passes to the on campus gym, though these are limited so be on the look out for these passes being announced on your classes fb page/in your email. There are student tickets available for purchase at a discounted price, i believe this is available to all campuses though.

From talking with directors of med ed at the base hospitals i can say without a doubt that you will have an advantage scheduling auditions at scs locations generally. Just like some schools where students have a great shot at matching their home programs due to being a known commodity, the same will go for base hospital residencies. Just know its a lottery system and you may not get your first or second choice base hospital, i know that from experience. However a decent amount do.

With regards to matching OOS id say its a majority preference to stay in state, it is also a very DO friendly state while boston may not be a very DO friendly city (i dont actually know this about boston tho tbh). So students in general will have their best shot in the state.

Other DO state schools like OSU have very similar match lists, most of the students are recruited from that state and so the match list shows most of them stay near home/family.

If you want to match to places like boston/san fran/nyc, be sure to be competitive as possible. Not saying itll necessarily be that hard (depends on what specialty you want), but the more you market yourself as competitive the more open other locations become.

Having connections to regions help as well, without those connections auditions are your best shot at opening regions. Most of the MSU grads ive talked to said the midwest is where the majority of their IVs came from.

So TLDR to #1 its both

To #2 there are free gym passes to the on campus gym, though these are limited so be on the look out for these passes being announced on your classes fb page/in your email. There are student tickets available for purchase at a discounted price, i believe this is available to all campuses though.

Thanks so much for the thorough response! I've been working with the Harvard teaching hospitals this past year-plus, and I'm under no delusions that the DO path would be easy in Boston, though I've met DOs at MGH and even Caribbean grads at BWH and BIDMC. It gives me some comfort that I'm most interested in less competitive residencies like IM and FM.

I could just as easily see myself settling back in the Mitten, and given the number of people who do matriculate to IM/FM programs in the Greater Chicago area, I think I'll worry less about Detroit vs GR vs Chi vs Bos and more about passing anatomy!

One other question - at this stage, is there any hope of getting off the Macomb placement? EL is my #1 choice and I've been notified that I've been placed on the wait list.

One other question - at this stage, is there any hope of getting off the Macomb placement? EL is my #1 choice and I've been notified that I've been placed on the wait list.
From what I've heard there's still a good chance and you can transfer later on too (if there are any open spots). Lol I'm trying to believe anything is possible at this point bc I'm still on the tier 2 wait list annnnd hoping I can go to the EL campus. o_O

Anything IS possible! Got the call just hours after I was notified about Macomb placement - I'm transferred to EL!

Keep. The. Faith.

Reactions: 1 users
That's good to hear about the places to study! Do most students commute? I feel like they would have to based off the location of apartment buildings and snow. Sounds like it might be worth it to buy a bus pass and just park on campus for the day and use the buses to get around if needed.
There are a handful of apartments near the East side of campus that make it easy enough to walk to campus (Hannah lofts, Berrytree, The Hamptons, The Lodges). It seems like most COM students live there. But during my interview, quite a few students said they lived a little further away (~10/15 minute drive) so they could get more space for less money.

IMO, the bus pass is going to depend more on your life style while you're there. For example, if you prefer to walk vs bus or study in Fee vs study around campus. It's definitely a nice option though (especially when it is freezing!). I'm not a COM student but I'm really familiar with MSU/EL so feel free to message me if you have any general questions! :)

Just got accepted off the Tier 2 waitlist!!! They said they had a couple more people to call so I hope its some of you guys:)

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted off T2!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how to find roommates/ is anyone looking for a roommate to live in an apartment near Fee?

Current students, how much time do you have after classes end second year to study for your boards? Also, did you feel the curriculum did a good job preparing you for the COMLEX/USMLE and incorporated board prep into the classes? Thanks!
We get around 10-12weeks to study for boards, the length of our dedicated is definitely a huge plus. There is a semi-decent correlation between how you do in class and how you end up doing on boards, so you could infer that classes do an alright job at preparing us for boards. I will say some do better than others, cardio psych and neuro are easily some of our best taught classes and all adequately covered all the material required for boards. Other classes were not so great. But from talking with other med students at other schools this is common, not every course can be stacked with sweet board relevant to the point lectures. If youre concerned about boards do ZANKI from day 1, follow along in class with BNB pathoma and FA and youll do fine IMO.

Does anyone know how to find roommates/ is anyone looking for a roommate to live in an apartment near Fee?

Hannah Townhomes and the Lodges use a roommate match questionnaire for those looking for roommates.

That's good to hear about the dedicated study time! I was looking at the schedule for year 2 and it showed classes ended in May I believe but that clinical starts like the beginning of April, so I was worried there wouldn't be a good amount of time to focus studying for boards. I'm so sorry, this might be a stupid question but what is Zanki, and the other stuff you mention in the last sentence? Also can USMLE study materials be used to prepare for the comlex as well (aside form OMM) is it the same stuff/format? Thanks for your help!

Yeah so from what i can see the semester end in may for you guys and you start clerkship in august, its very possible the schedule could change for you guys from us but while our semester technically ends in may we’ve been off from all classes since like mid april and off from time intensive classes since end of march. We’re expected to have taken comlex by the first week of july and most people take the usmle about a week before.

Zanki is a flashcard deck for an app called anki that has everything you need to know for boards in it, you can find it by just searching for med school anki decks on reddit. FA is first aid a book with essentially all the same info. BNB is boards and beyond a lecture service that basically summarizes all the information youll need into short concise videos (think khan academy for the MCAT). Pathoma is similar and also super useful. Another one id highly suggest is sketchy (another video service).

Yeah all of the USMLE prep materials cover comlex relevant stuff as well with the exception of OMM, resources id suggest for OMM are the green book OMT review and OMGOMT videos.

But all this is for future thought down the road and i wouldnt invest in most of these until fall/spring semester of first year. Summer semester just focus on anatomy and adjusting to the hustle of med school! Summers a very fun time and at least from what i remember anatomy was a really neat intro into medicine.

Reactions: 2 users

I’ll be moving there beginning of June and my fiancé and I are looking for a roommate to move into a house with us. We’re looking for houses within biking distance. Let me know if you’re interested! I’m a DO/PhD student so I won’t be in classes with you this year but it’ll be cool to stick with people in the med school.

withdrew my acceptance here today. Good luck to those on the waitlist!

Just withdrew my acceptance from Detroit Campus, I hope it goes to one of you guys on the wait list.

Got the acceptance call this morning off of T2 waitlist!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone think there will be more waitlist movement this week? I’m on T2 waitlist.

Grateful to have been accepted here, but will be withdrawing my acceptance. Good luck to those waiting!

Anyone know when it’s too late to find housing/roomate(s)? Obviously the earlier the better, but is it practical to get a roommate or good housing 1-2 months before fall semester begins?

Anyone know when it’s too late to find housing/roomate(s)? Obviously the earlier the better, but is it practical to get a roommate or good housing 1-2 months before fall semester begins?

A lot of the places I called near campus did not even have availability until July/August, so I bet you can still find pretty good housing then. They also do individual leases and have a roommate matching questionnaire they utilize to get you a roommate.

Does anyone think there will be more waitlist movement this week? I’m on T2 waitlist.

Was losing hope, until I got my acceptance call Friday 5/3. Was on Waitlist Tier 2.

I spoke to admissions counselor, Lorie, in East Lansing, and she had mentioned something along the lines of "around May15th we usually have people moving from the waitlist."

Best of luck!

Was losing hope, until I got my acceptance call Friday 5/3. Was on Waitlist Tier 2.

I spoke to admissions counselor, Lorie, in East Lansing, and she had mentioned something along the lines of "around May15th we usually have people moving from the waitlist."

Best of luck!
Congrats!! If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview?