2018-2019 New York Medical College

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What if your parent income never got you any financial aid in undergrad?
No scenario matters. It is required. Many premed students have rich parents who pay for the whole thing out of pocket. Their child takes out loans and the rich parent just pays it entirely after. This allows the school to identify the people who really need aid and have parents that aren't making as much.
 
it may seem unnecessary to have to report parent info especially if/when you’ve been financially independent for years, but think of it this way: most people applying to med school are young adults who are broke from college or making entry-level salaries. if no one reported family income, most of us would probably qualify for a ton of grants (that don’t actually exist) because on paper none of us can afford school. like @KingTchalla1 said, it helps identify who really needs the aid. when students from wealthy families get the same aid as students from less wealthy families they probably end up with less debt, income disparities increase, the rich get richer, etc
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes it is one of the most expensive schools. An update on my financial aid situation, I got a student scholarship of 80k. So this brings my total debt after all said and done to 83k*4 - 80k= 252k. Plus the 100k from undergrad will make that 350k about. But to answer your question, yes if you have other opportunities I would definitely shop around weighing loan amounts. Last I would advise looking more at the trees rather than the forest. Yes 250k is a lot, but monthly 10 year payment plan that equates to less than $3000 on a monthly salary of $12,000 for a low end physician salary. So you would have more than $9,000 left over a month
Did you qualify for FAP?
 
This has likely already been asked, so I apologize in advance for any repetition, but are there any particular laptop requirements for NYMC? Looking into getting a new laptop or potentially an iPad for school but want to make sure whatever I get will meet NYMCs needs
 
This has likely already been asked, so I apologize in advance for any repetition, but are there any particular laptop requirements for NYMC? Looking into getting a new laptop or potentially an iPad for school but want to make sure whatever I get will meet NYMCs needs

I get by for 90% Of things with my iPad and it’s super convenient. However, you’ll need a laptop for the NBME exams as the NBME browser somehow still doesn’t have an iPad compatible version. Also you’ll need a computer for first year histology to view the electronic slides.

The specifications they list on the website are nonsensical IMO. Any decent new computer will be more than fine. I used my $300 Lenovo for the last 2.5 years of school and just replaced it with a different brand because it finally couldn’t keep up ($60/year for a computer is damn good ROI).

You DO NOT need to go out and spend $1500 on a computer, unless you really want to for other reasons.

As for Mac vs windows: both are fine. Personal preference and cost should be what helps you decide.

If you want some specific suggestions send me a PM, I just bought a computer on Tuesday and I still have my list.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone got any suggestions as to why they would outright reject someone post-II?

There’s no way to pinpoint what exactly causes the rejection. Try not to stress yourself out trying to figure it out. It happened, sulk for a bit then move on. (And I mean this is the kindest way possible)
 
I got an R too. I hope it makes you feel better
I did not feel that I did that bad on the MMI stations, so who knows. We were just not a right fit for them. It is ok

Yeah me too. I know I bombed one, but I think I articulated myself well on the other stations. I hope you get that A somewhere else.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Feeling pretty defeated. This wasn't my top choice/a school I was dead set on, but I feel like this R bodes really poorly for all the schools that I'm waitlisted at/waiting to hear back from. Kind of a lousy place to be.
 
I just called bc my interview was 2/7 and people from 2/11 were hearing decisions already....they said that's normal and we should expect a decision on the next day
Thanks, i was gonna call myself today (interviewed 2/11). Now, when they say we should hear the next day, does that literally mean tomorrow on 3/19 or the next 'day' the committee meets (which seems to be every 2 weeks)
 
Put on hold pre-II today. They said they will review again mid April for possible interview. I’m thinking that they are waiting to see the movement be April 15
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad